Wireless Charging while using USB-OTG

Search This thread
Dec 24, 2011
I guys, today I tried to Wireless Charge while using the USB-OTG to copy some files (practically, it makes sense for me, since there is no need to connect the cable to the Nexus, we could be using that port to USB-OTG and charge at the same time).
I was surprised when it didn't work. I can't understand why would they implement this. Since it's not charging from cable, it could be charging by wireless...

It's not a defect from mine, right?

Anyway, thanks for your attention.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
I guys, today I tried to Wireless Charge while using the USB-OTG to copy some files (practically, it makes sense for me, since there is no need to connect the cable to the Nexus, we could be using that port to USB-OTG and charge at the same time).
I was surprised when it didn't work. I can't understand why would they implement this. Since it's not charging from cable, it could be charging by wireless...

It's not a defect from mine, right?

Anyway, thanks for your attention.

It's not a defect. You need a custom kernel that supports Qi Charging while using USB OTG if you want that.

Dec 24, 2011
Are you sure it's a kernel limitation? Do you know any that supports it?

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
One way I've try to offset this limitation is to plug my OTG cable into a powered USB hub. All attached USB devices use the hub for power greatly reducing the battery drain on the phone/tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app