Tell HTC what you think of no more One X updates!

Search This thread

saitch76

Nov 27, 2008
Now that HTC have confirmed they are not providing any further OS updates for the One X and the One X+, I started a thread in the One X+ forum with a survey monkey link to give us all the chance to tell HTC what we think of their decision. Please take 5 minutes to complete the survey. The thread is here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49619827

Many users are frustrated that HTC don't listen to their customers so I compiled the survey to give us all the opportunity to express our collected opinion. Carpe diem!

G

GuestK0097

It's not that I'm disappointed by the amount of updates, it's more that the updates HTC gave us constantly broke things. One of the first Updates added a new bootloader which broke the compactiblity of CM10, the update to 3.20.XXX.3 added a new touch driver which broke compactiblity to touch in recovery (at least if you still want to be able to use mass storage/adb) and the 4.2.2 update broke our wifi in october and htc still didn't bother to deliver a fix after almost half a year! I would have prefered when they had just made a single update from 4.0 to 4.2 and even keeped sense 4 as long as they had delived a fully working rom.
An other problem of htc are their kernel source releases: they always wait till the end of the 90-days-period after the rom-update before they release it, even though they definitly had it since the release of the rom update. Take an example at samsung: they haven't updated the note 3 to 4.4yet but the kernel source is already there!
I will never, ever again buy another HTC or Tegra phone.

anoniemouse

Jul 2, 2010
I think all phone manufacturers should keep phones updated for 2 years minimum as that is how long most phone contracts are for.
In the EU they are already covered by a 2 year warranty, i would expect the update issue to be forced in this region for the same reason.
Here is hoping any way

hb5

Mar 10, 2008
It is funny that for example LG will upgrade some low end devices to 4.4,a HTC wont upgrade One X and One X+ and they still have decent hardware and very nice display...shame on you HTC

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
I made my views pretty clear. HTC won't listen, if they do, it'll be a half ar**d support like the desire, desire HD...etc etc. Next time i'm just getting a google nexus phone outright and a 30 day rolling contract. Bye Bye HTC, hope you either learn or sink

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: Husky34

Rotten Ross

Aug 11, 2011
Google Pixel 6
The survey it doesn't mention the one x only the one x+, I am all for power to the consumer but HTC won't change their mind. I personally think if HTC had better update support then they would see a better market share. Look at the support Apple gave the iPhone 4/4s. I like HTC phones but I might look else where

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

einstien_ncp

Jun 13, 2012
portland
The survey it doesn't mention the one x only the one x+, I am all for power to the consumer but HTC won't change their mind. I personally think if HTC had better update support then they would see a better market share. Look at the support Apple gave the iPhone 4/4s. I like HTC phones but I might look else where

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

What are the features on Kitkat that we don't have on 4.2.2 Sense 5 ?
I had the Frustration of updates when i was on desire z 2.2 and the upgrade to 2.3 (download manager and the toggle buttons) was extremely late in my country
but since hox started 4.1 i have not found Google adding any thing revolutionary that make a lot of difference to the device experience

I have been using HTC because of the build and the design of devices, only thing i hate about how htc handled hox is the brokern wifi on the current build, it has been disappointing

thekillingroad

Sep 29, 2008
Istanbul
Not with HTC but I can share with you guyes :)
Do not give a damn whether my HOX gets more updates or not, what I care is the solid system, that's all.

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
Not with HTC but I can share with you guyes :)
Do not give a damn whether my HOX gets more updates or not, what I care is the solid system, that's all.

It's a point of principle that you sell something to people and two years later you say to them "hey you bought our stuff within the last two years, but we can't support it anymore". Yes it isn't the end of the world and the phone won't exactly stop working, but when it's capable of getting the update and giving us (the people who buy the thing) a better android experience, then why deny us that? Not all of us want to keep getting new phones all the time.

thekillingroad

Sep 29, 2008
Istanbul
It's a point of principle that you sell something to people and two years later you say to them "hey you bought our stuff within the last two years, but we can't support it anymore". Yes it isn't the end of the world and the phone won't exactly stop working, but when it's capable of getting the update and giving us (the people who buy the thing) a better android experience, then why deny us that? Not all of us want to keep getting new phones all the time.

Well that's a matter of choice that how you define "support".
No offence, but I can clearly see now (after the whole jb update issue back then) people who are somehow involved in software development or maintanance do get a clearer view.

Do you expect your Windows XP laptop to have Windows 8 free(which is three major versions later)?
Do you even tried to guess not even calculate what are the costs to HTC to update this phone further?

It came with 4.0, got minor fix, major in terms of effect but minor in version
Got major with 4.1 and got two minors for it
Got major with 4.2 and got one minor for it

The phone is supported, it is evolving and this must have an end. After 4.4 Google might release sonething magnificent too, if HTC provides 4.4, won't you want 4.5 too? Where does it stop? What is the ethical point to stop? No where...

It is just an economical view and that's the only approach you can have.
And HTC is a small company and it has a detailed "overlay software" over Android bla bla bla known stuff.

HTC's policy is the same for years.. I want you guys to stop this for saving your own energy, not for saving HTC don't get me wrong. I don't care how HTC feels, I ***** to their face on elevate :)
But ppl always consume time and energy about this and I just wanted to point out that its useless, of course you can do whtver u want :)

Cheers

maxilick

Jun 27, 2008
Yep waste of space thread, if you want kit kat flash one of the 2 variants posted in this section.

Sent from my U30GT 2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
No offence, but I can clearly see now (after the whole jb update issue back then) people who are somehow involved in software development or maintanance do get a clearer view.

Do you expect your Windows XP laptop to have Windows 8 free(which is three major versions later)?
Do you even tried to guess not even calculate what are the costs to HTC to update this phone further?

The phone is supported, it is evolving and this must have an end. After 4.4 Google might release sonething magnificent too, if HTC provides 4.4, won't you want 4.5 too? Where does it stop? What is the ethical point to stop? No where...

And HTC is a small company and it has a detailed "overlay software" over Android bla bla bla known stuff.

HTC's policy is the same for years.. I want you guys to stop this for saving your own energy, not for saving HTC don't get me wrong. I don't care how HTC feels, I ***** to their face on elevate :)
But ppl always consume time and energy about this and I just wanted to point out that its useless, of course you can do whtver u want :)

Cheers

well getting a phone on a 2 year contract suddenly becomes our fault if the company decides not to support it....ethical point to stop it would be when most people who've got the one x on a contract when it got released finish that contract. THAT in my mind would be ethical. But of course, there are other companies (crapsung) who updated their galaxy s2 all the way from gingerbread to 4.1.2 with touchwiz. Yes samsung is a bigger company but HTC are there to take the fight to them for market place...no? then i'm sorry....my prejudice still stands.

thekillingroad

Sep 29, 2008
Istanbul
well getting a phone on a 2 year contract suddenly becomes our fault if the company decides not to support it....ethical point to stop it would be when most people who've got the one x on a contract when it got released finish that contract. THAT in my mind would be ethical. But of course, there are other companies (crapsung) who updated their galaxy s2 all the way from gingerbread to 4.1.2 with touchwiz. Yes samsung is a bigger company but HTC are there to take the fight to them for market place...no? then i'm sorry....my prejudice still stands.

Why do you look for a side to put a blame on? You're still using the word "support" for upgrading a sofware to an upper version, but let stay in terms, if we're looking for "ethical", this does NOT mean support. I can get many things as your opinion, but this is NOT. HTC does still support One X, it is not upgrading the software to another major version, that is it. Don't wanna look annoying but I am a software and management consultant and make lots of Support and Maintenance agreements, what you want is not support.

Well, you want an ethical solution.. In Turkey One X was still sold I think ended about 4-5 months ago, and with 3 year contracts. It is also sold for a long time, may be not in Western countries or in Oceania, but deciding just for those countries is not legal right? So, how long the upgrade process should last then? till 2016? 2017? This has no ethical solution. You used the key word, most. This is the best way to measure the economic point of view :) Would you like to make a market analysis to find out when the One X is sold most? Would you choose a specific month of a year? This is a dead-end bro, believe me. :)

Again, don't wanna look annoying, but then get a crapsung, you do know they do update their phones further, that is clear from Sensation/S2.
This is how HTC makes their market strategy and you might say that it is clear that ther strategy is not working, but most of experts beliece upgrades are not the main reason for this.
Anyways, I don't wanna "troll" in the topic where people write their opinions, just wanted to share mine.

Cheers

Reactions: Splitshot

Beyazid

Sep 11, 2012
But it´s not about when the phone was released in YOUR Country but when it was released OFFICIALLY. And this was in April 2012 which means that HTC could release one last Update aka 4.4.
But as far as I know it´s not the fault of HTC but Nvidia for not supporting the Chipset in One X/X+ but only the one in the Nexus 7 2012 which means there are no new Kernels for 4.4

thekillingroad

Sep 29, 2008
Istanbul
But it´s not about when the phone was released in YOUR Country but when it was released OFFICIALLY. And this was in April 2012 which means that HTC could release one last Update aka 4.4.
But as far as I know it´s not the fault of HTC but Nvidia for not supporting the Chipset in One X/X+ but only the one in the Nexus 7 2012 which means there are no new Kernels for 4.4

But then are we looking for an ethical solution, if we choose the start point as global release? I may have bought my phone as soon as it is released in my country and it could have been December 2012, and I might have gotten it with a three year contract. Who has the blame for my situation then? And the two is years is something just we made up since "most" of the users get the phone in two-year contracts and the warranty is for two years. :)

One last update.. But we still haven't reached May 2014, and till then Google might release a 4.5? Wouldn't we want it then? :)

Cheers

and313

Nov 2, 2010
Google Pixel 5
The only way we can change things regarding updates is to try to evoke a law where the minimal update timeframe is set

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Beyazid

Sep 11, 2012
Well that´s another Problem with all the phone brands who build Android phones.
The updates take much too long to get released for the phones.
If I would follow your logic we still should get Android Kit Kat since it was released in November. A better example would be 4.3 which was released for Nexus phones 2 months before 4.2 was released for HOX(+).
It effectively means we got 2 big Android revisions (4.1 + 4.2) which means 1 year of support but it was only stretched from April 2012 (official release) to July/August 2013 (last update)
And just for your interest. It doesn´t matter how long the carrier contracts run or when it was released in YOUR country. It´s about unbranded devices which are officially released. Carrier branded phones shouldn´t be bought anymore and/or the consumer shouldn´t choose them anymore to make clear that the way carriers are working isn´t consumer friendly but that´s a whole different point

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that HTC have confirmed they are not providing any further OS updates for the One X and the One X+, I started a thread in the One X+ forum with a survey monkey link to give us all the chance to tell HTC what we think of their decision. Please take 5 minutes to complete the survey. The thread is here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49619827

Many users are frustrated that HTC don't listen to their customers so I compiled the survey to give us all the opportunity to express our collected opinion. Carpe diem!

Cheers
    soon i will say bye bye HTC

I have the nexus 5 on the way.
    HTC is very disappointing when it came to device update.
    They drop support to the ONE S ONE X+ in less then year,
    When they release an update it happens at least six months after the official release.
    Not to mention that the release update with famous Wifi bug.

The biggest disappointing from me is the the HTC ONE X did not get s-off.
    and additionally the nvidia tegra 3 blocking the possibility that ONE X will get port to news android version.

so bye bye HTC
    You are spit from the well which you drinking.
    I made my views pretty clear. HTC won't listen, if they do, it'll be a half ar**d support like the desire, desire HD...etc etc. Next time i'm just getting a google nexus phone outright and a 30 day rolling contract. Bye Bye HTC, hope you either learn or sink

Why do you look for a side to put a blame on? You're still using the word "support" for upgrading a sofware to an upper version, but let stay in terms, if we're looking for "ethical", this does NOT mean support. I can get many things as your opinion, but this is NOT. HTC does still support One X, it is not upgrading the software to another major version, that is it. Don't wanna look annoying but I am a software and management consultant and make lots of Support and Maintenance agreements, what you want is not support.

Well, you want an ethical solution.. In Turkey One X was still sold I think ended about 4-5 months ago, and with 3 year contracts. It is also sold for a long time, may be not in Western countries or in Oceania, but deciding just for those countries is not legal right? So, how long the upgrade process should last then? till 2016? 2017? This has no ethical solution. You used the key word, most. This is the best way to measure the economic point of view :) Would you like to make a market analysis to find out when the One X is sold most? Would you choose a specific month of a year? This is a dead-end bro, believe me. :)

Again, don't wanna look annoying, but then get a crapsung, you do know they do update their phones further, that is clear from Sensation/S2.
    This is how HTC makes their market strategy and you might say that it is clear that ther strategy is not working, but most of experts beliece upgrades are not the main reason for this.
    Anyways, I don't wanna "troll" in the topic where people write their opinions, just wanted to share mine.

Cheers