[Q] How can I remove OTA update notification?

Search This thread

44-RON

Aug 19, 2013
Budapest
Hi guys!
Is there a way to remove the annoying notification of the 4.4.3 update?
I have no problems with the update itself, but I'm using a Custom ROM (CM11).
I've tried disabling notifications for Google Services Framework and com.lge.update and freezing com.lge.update with Titanium.
None of these worked...
Do you guys now a way to disable it?

Thanks in advance
Aaron

MasterTec

Aug 12, 2012
Hi guys!
I've tried disabling notifications for Google Services Framework and com.lge.update and freezing com.lge.update with Titanium.
None of these worked...

Thanks in advance
Aaron

I'm in the same boat... running CM11 M6. I got an error notification for the 4.4.3 update last night stating that it couldn't download (I'm assuming because of running CM). Today at lunch I was having problems with LTE connectivity so I rebooted and it worked then. Found out a few hours later that after I rebooted my phone used over 500MB of data even though I wasn't using it and my battery drained down quite a bit as well.

My cell provider shows I've used that much data but my phone doesn't. My guess is that it's trying to constantly download the update? Yet I can't find any way to turn this off.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
I'm in the same boat... running CM11 M6. I got an error notification for the 4.4.3 update last night stating that it couldn't download (I'm assuming because of running CM). Today at lunch I was having problems with LTE connectivity so I rebooted and it worked then. Found out a few hours later that after I rebooted my phone used over 500MB of data even though I wasn't using it and my battery drained down quite a bit as well.

My cell provider shows I've used that much data but my phone doesn't. My guess is that it's trying to constantly download the update? Yet I can't find any way to turn this off.

Hi guys!
None of these worked...

Thanks in advance
Aaron

Navigate: /system/etc/security
Rename: "otacerts.zip" to "otacerts.zip.bak
Reboot.

Reactions: tadiv and st7n

alissa7

Aug 10, 2010
Louisiana
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
I'm having the same issue as well, except I didn't download the update. I've tried renaming the cert to .bak, rebooted, and no go. Then I took the whole damn cert file and moved it to my downloads folder, cleared Google system framework data, and rebooted. It's been about 5 minutes with no pop up, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've also heard that changing a line in your build.prop tricks the updater into thinking you already have 4.4.3, but I don't what what it is that needs to be changed...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

44-RON

Aug 19, 2013
Budapest
Whatever file explorer you are using you may have to allow it to see "hidden files" or grant root access or possibly both.

I don't even see these folders.
I have hidden files enabled in Solid Explorer :/
I've tried everything posted here, rebooted around 5 times, but it's still showing up.
Are you guys sure that otacerts.zip is responsible for the upfate message?
I even tried moving it into my download folder (after the .bak method doesn't worked), but I still have the notification...
Which is the system app, that searches for updates? I thought it's com.lge.update, but it seems that it's not.
We should try to freeze / uninstall that with Titanium. :/

DncnSharp

Jun 7, 2014
I'm not sure why anyone has stated this and I realize that the problem has already been solved, but this can easily be fixed using Developer Options in CM11

1) Go to settings> about phone
2) Scroll all the way down to build number and repeatedly tap it until it says something along the lines of "You are now a developer"
3) Go back to settings then go to developer options
4) A little less than halfway down is an option called 'Development shortcut'. Tick that box

Now, you can get rid of any pesky notification that can't be swiped away. Simply tap and hold it, then select 'Force close'. This works with any apps running in the background by doing the same thing from the app switcher. Hope this helps!

Reactions: st7n

djthebogan

Dec 30, 2011
naptown
I just cleared data on Google services framework and haven't had the notification popup yet. Have rebooted a couple times, so far so good. Been about 6hours.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
A few days ago I accidentally got rid of it by tapping the download button for no reason (I'm on a custom ROM), then rebooting right after. Hasn't come up since LOL.

R

Robin0_0Hood

Dude,

That sucks! When I had my Galaxy S3...the update notification made me very mad. Did you try the the other way of doing it (mentioned in the earlier of this forum)?

RH

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Free mobile app

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
In your build.prop find the ro.build.fingerprint line. Change it to this:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.3/KTU84M/1158763:user/release-keys

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nein7three

May 11, 2013
Morristown
Google Pixel 5
I cleared the framework cache and data and it gives me the error where play store cant load, so then i have to go delete my google accounts and reinput them. And then the notification comes back after 12 hrs or so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi guys!
    None of these worked...

Thanks in advance
    Aaron

Navigate: /system/etc/security
    Rename: "otacerts.zip" to "otacerts.zip.bak
    Reboot.
    In your build.prop find the ro.build.fingerprint line. Change it to this:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/hammerhead/hammerhead:4.4.3/KTU84M/1158763:user/release-keys

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure why anyone has stated this and I realize that the problem has already been solved, but this can easily be fixed using Developer Options in CM11

1) Go to settings> about phone
    2) Scroll all the way down to build number and repeatedly tap it until it says something along the lines of "You are now a developer"
    3) Go back to settings then go to developer options
    4) A little less than halfway down is an option called 'Development shortcut'. Tick that box

Now, you can get rid of any pesky notification that can't be swiped away. Simply tap and hold it, then select 'Force close'. This works with any apps running in the background by doing the same thing from the app switcher. Hope this helps!