[APP][2.1+] BITS Widget - Need beta testers

Search This thread

djeaton

Mar 13, 2011
Canton, GA
www.amazon.com
Here's what it looks like on DROIDX running libertyGb

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA Premium App
That is exactly what I got as well. I upgraded to 0.56 and the list displayed fine. I found it a bit difficult to see the white text on top of the checkerboard background, but figured out how to change the font and colors and that helped. There doesn't seem to be a good way to delete an element if you put it there by accident or change your mind though. Having some kind of grid that you could snap things to would also help in getting everything aligned. Once I got a few "bits" configured though an pressed "done", all I got was a gray shadow of a sun with a gray shadow of an hourglass on top of it. Finally, a preview option or option to later re-edit the widget (or both) would be a huge benefit.
Daniel

Reactions: DogSpots

DogSpots

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2008
New York
www.dogspots.com
I found it a bit difficult to see the white text on top of the checkerboard background
You can change out the checkerboard background for any color of your choice. Touch the green button with the gears and look for the setting at the bottom.

There doesn't seem to be a good way to delete an element
There is a delete option on the menu. Touch the hard menu button to call up the menu.

Having some kind of grid that you could snap things to would also help in getting everything aligned.
I like this idea. It will definitely make it into a future version. I've added it to the official list.

Once I got a few "bits" configured though an pressed "done", all I got was a gray shadow of a sun with a gray shadow of an hourglass on top of it.
That is a problem. Are you willing to take some time to help me track this down?

Finally, a preview option or option to later re-edit the widget (or both) would be a huge benefit.
You can re-edit the widget by touching the upper-left corner of the widget. It should take you directly to the edit screen.

Thank you for all of the valuable feedback.

kuroyume_cl

Apr 1, 2011
Santiago
How far do you get before it FC?

I add the widget, config screen tries to open but all i get is a black screen and then a FC

What home screen program do you use?

Launcher Pro Plus 0.8.5

Can you send a logcat?

Sure, if you can tell me where to find it... I'm fairly new to android, and there doesn't seem to be the standard linux log directory on my phone

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

terranq

Oct 28, 2010
Saskatoon
Works fine for me on galaxy s i9000. I have a couple suggestions that I'd like to see implemented
1) ability to save a configuration
2) in the colour selection, ability to set Hex values, or to select recently used colours
3) ability to launch other apps when pressing a bit. For example, if I tap the temperature, I can set it to launch my Go weather app. If i tap the clock, I can launch alarm clock plus, etc.

Very nice work for a beta, I'm going to be replacing make your own clock and minimal text with this.

Reactions: DogSpots

DesigningOne

Jan 29, 2011
I like having all of the controls on one place. Maybe arrange them in two rows for more space? Also, I tried using the sun & moon weather option the widget force closed deleting everything else I had formatted. Is there a way to save a specific setup to avoid losing the text, position, & colors?

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

DogSpots

Nov 21, 2008
New York
www.dogspots.com
Would be nice to add batt temperature to list of bits which can be displayed.
I've added it to the official list of planned features.

ability to save a configuration
It's on the official list of planned features.

in the colour selection, ability to set Hex values, or to select recently used colours
I like both ideas and have added them to the official list of planned features.

ability to launch other apps when pressing a bit.
I really want to do this, but I can only capture touch events on the widget if I specify the touch spot before hand. The best I can do is reserve certain areas of the widget as touch spots and allow the user to specify which apps are launched by which spots. Currently, the upper-left corner launches the widget editor and the upper-right corner forces a full refresh. I was planning on making the lower-left and lower right corners user configurable.

Very nice work for a beta, I'm going to be replacing make your own clock and minimal text with this.
Thank you for your suggestions and your kind words .

Reactions: rushco

DogSpots

Nov 21, 2008
New York
www.dogspots.com
Problems with Sun, Moon, Weather?

For those having trouble with the Sun/Moon plus Weather. I have a few questions:

1. Does refreshing (by touching the upper-right corner) the widget help?
  2. Do you have location tracking turned on in the widget settings?
  3. Does changing the location setting in the widget settings fix the problem?
  4. Do you have location settings turned on in Android settings?
    • Is "Use GPS Satellites" enabled?
    • Is "Use wireless networks" turned on?

DesigningOne

Jan 29, 2011
I updated from 0.55 to 0.56 & that fixed the sun/moon conditions.
Again, great tinkering material. What about selections for model number, build number, and software version (from 'about phone' settings menu) for those who switch ROMs frequently?

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

mikep99

Jan 2, 2010
Up North
Works well here :).
Desire using Zeam launcher.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

wonner

Dec 19, 2010
Hayward, CA
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
For those having trouble with the Sun/Moon plus Weather. I have a few questions:

1. Does refreshing (by touching the upper-right corner) the widget help?
  2. Do you have location tracking turned on in the widget settings?
  3. Does changing the location setting in the widget settings fix the problem?
  4. Do you have location settings turned on in Android settings?
    • Is "Use GPS Satellites" enabled?
    • Is "Use wireless networks" turned on?
No
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

bdaman80

Mar 20, 2011
Pittsfield, Il
Works ok on my HTC Inspire
Kind of hard to configure IMO
When I touch the bit name it keeps wanting to add another bit, and the little arrows aren't quick enough for me

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

DogSpots

Nov 21, 2008
New York
www.dogspots.com
FC on my Nook CM7 nightly #52, ADWex launcher. I set up the widget 4 x 2 it went into the settings when I hit done FC.

Can you send a LogCat?

Is there anything on your home screen where you originally tried to add the widget?

Would you try creating a widget with just the time on it and nothing else? I'd like to know if that works.

Thank you for the feedback.

DogSpots

Nov 21, 2008
New York
www.dogspots.com
Kind of hard to configure IMO
It can be hard to manipulate the bits on smaller screens. What would you change to make it easier?

When I touch the bit name it keeps wanting to add another bit
I've noticed that. Long pressing on the edit surface is one way to add a new bit to the widget. You can also add a widget by touching the red plus button. Do you think just having the red plus for adding bits would be OK?

the little arrows aren't quick enough for me
The little arrows are meant for nudging the bit one pixel at a time. For big movements, just drag the bit with your finger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2011 08 19 EDIT: I'm starting a new round of testing for new weather forecast bits.

2011 08 11 EDIT: I've published a new General Release to the Android Market that includes all of the changes in the recent betas. Thanks to everyone who helped in testing.

2011 08 05 EDIT: The latest beta includes bits for battery temperature (F & C) and battery voltage (mV). It also includes a dedicated bit for shortcuts.

2011 07 06 EDIT: The latest beta can turn on or off any widget size from 1x1 to 4x4.

2011 07 01 EDIT: The latest beta can use any graphic from the sd card as a bit.

2011 06 26 EDIT: The latest beta version includes the ability to launch any shortcut from any bit. We need help testing this new feature.

2011 06 15 EDIT: The latest beta version includes integration with Tasker. We sure could use some help testing this new feature.

EDIT: BITS Widget is now version 1.0 and is available in the Android Market.

---Original Post---
    I've been working on a widget for several months and I'm just about ready to show it to the world, but I want to make sure it's ready.

I've been running the widget on four different phones. The widget runs perfectly on all but one. On that one, it crashes (force close) about once a day at random times and I've been unable to track down the problem. I'm hoping to get the widget running on some different hardware and software combinations to see if a pattern emerges.

If you're interested in giving a hand, I would appreciate some help.

The name of the widget is BITS, which stands for Bits Is The Stuff.

BITS is a home screen widget with a WYSIWYG editor that allows the user to add, remove and arrange bits of information on the widget face.

Each bit can be configured to launch a shortcut when it is touched on the widget face.

Currently the widget can show the following bits of information:

• Date
    • Time
    • Location (from GPS or locked to specific one)
    • Moon Phase (graphic)
    • Sun or Moon Phase (graphic, sun during daylight, moon phase at night)
    • Sun or Moon Phase with Weather (same as above with weather conditions superimposed)
    • Temperature (in C° or F°)
    • Cloud cover (text description)
    • Weather conditions (text description)
    • Humidity
    • Air Pressure
    • Wind Speed (kt)
    • Wind Speed (mph)
    • Wind Direction (deg)
    • Wind Direction (cardinal)
    • Weather Station
    • Sunrise (time at location)
    • Sunset (time at location)
    • Next Alarm
    • Battery Level (percentage)
    • Battery Charging (“charging” or “”)
    • Battery Temperature (in C° or F°)
    • Battery Voltage (mV)
    • Available RAM
    • Available file space
    • Available SD Card space
    • Rectangle
    • Rounded Rectangle
    • Last Weather Download (time and date)
    • Last Weather Observation(at the weather station, time and date)
    • Tasker Variable
    • Any graphic from SD Card
    • Shortcuts

Screen Shots

Video Demo

Market Links:
    Mobile Link: market://details?id=com.bitswidget.BITS
    Web Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitswidget.BITS"

Download: http://www.bitswidget.com/blog/downloads

Changelog: http://www.bitswidget.com/blog/downloads/change-log

Ideas List: http://www.bitswidget.com/blog/forum/ideas/

qrcodebuffer.png
    qrcodebuffer.png
    Here's what it looks like on DROIDX running libertyGb

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA Premium App
    Interesting! I would mostly use the weather info. Slightly larger position controls would make life easier for smaller screens or larger fingers. Gives a tinkerer plenty of tinkering material without risk damaging phone.

Sent from my LG-P500 on Megaton OC'd to 729 using XDA App
    This is what I'm looking at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    This is what I'm looking at.

Please tell me which version you have.

You can find the version number on the "about screen" which is available by hitting the menu button on either the configuration screen on the main program screen.

You can get into the configuration screen by tapping in the upper left corner of the widget. You can get to the main program screen by running the main program from the apps drawer.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.