[GUIDE][MOD][KERNEL] Change Bootsplash Image

Search This thread

manudroid19

Feb 23, 2013
DISCLAIMER NOTE: I AND XDA IS NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT YOUR PHONE MIGHT INCUR DURING THIS PROCESS, I HAVE TESTED IT IN MY BEST KNOWLEDGE TO WORK FOR OUR DEVICE BUT JUST TO BE SURE, PLEASE PERFORM ALL NECESSARY BACKUPS FOR THE PHONE TO PREVENT ANY DATA LOSS, IF YOU HAVE THE NEED TO DISAGREE AND/OR FAIL TO COMPLY JUST DON'T FLASH IT AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES

This is for editing the bootsplash: the image wich is displayed while kernel is loaded.
For example in Samsung devices is the image which comes between Samsung Logo and bootanimation.

This change is made in kernel, so if you want to include this in your ROM you must include the edited kernel with it.

Pre-requisites:
1.-Android Image Kitchen (DOWNOLAD)(THREAD)
2.-edit image on windows Tool modified by me (DOWNLOAD)(thanks to championswimmer for this)
3.-I recommend Photoshop or similar software for image editing (GIMP or Paint are ok)
4.-I recommend to enable the file extension visualization in Windows.

Let's start!

1.-Take the boot.img of the kernel that you want to use

2.-Extract Android Image Kitchen

3.-Extract edit-image-windows.zip

4.-Put boot.img in Android Image Kitchen folder

5.-Now go to cmd and navigate to Android Image Kitchen folder

6.-Type:
Code:
unpackimg boot.img

7.-Now open windows explorer and navigate to *\Android Image Kitchen\ramdisk, look for a *.rle file and copy it. Rebember the name of the .rle file, you'll need it later.

8.-Paste the rle on edit-image-windows folder

9.- Open cmd, navigate to edit-image-windows folder and type:
Code:
rle2png nameoftthrle.rle 000x000

Where I wrote nameoftthrle.rle write the name of your rle and where I wrote 000x000 write your phone's resolution.

Example: for me, I have a GT-S6500D wich has a 320x480 resolution and the name of my rle is GT-S6500.rle so I must write:
Code:
rle2png GT-S6500.rle 320x480

10.- Open the .png file which is now on edit-image-windows folder with your image edition sowtware (I recommend Photoshop) and made the changes you want. In my phone, is only displayed on black and white, so it's useless to enable color mode.

11.-When you finished editing go again to cmd and write:
Code:
png2rle nameofttherle.png
Where I wrote nameoftthrle.rle write the name of your png.
Example:
Code:
png2rle GT-S6500.rle.png

12.-Now you'll have a file called nameofyourrle.rle.png.rle witch is the modified rle

13.-Go to *\Android Image Kitchen\ramdisk and replace the rle with the new one witch is modified.

14.-Now go to cmd, navigate to Android Image Kitchen folder, and type:
Code:
repackimg

15.-Done! rename the image-new.img to boot.img and flash it!

PLEASE give me a thanks if you like my work

Attachments

• edit-image-windows.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 8,903

_kohjun_

Oct 17, 2013
Singapore
This is for editing the bootsplash: the image wich is displayed while kernel is loaded.
For example in Samsung devices is the image which comes between Samsung Logo and bootanimation.

This change is made in kernel, so if you want to include this in your ROM you must include the edited kernel with it.

Pre-requisites:
2.-edit image on windows Tool modified by me (DOWNLOAD)(thanks to championswimmer for this)
3.-I recommend Photoshop or similar software for image editing (GIMP or Paint are ok)

Let's start!

Nice work, wonder if it work on window64

Reactions: manudroid19

DexedrineXR

Jun 1, 2013
You can now edit/split a ramdisk on your phone now. Apktool on android has boot.img/ramdisk editing functionality. And a whole bunch of others....

Download apktool on android from here:

http://code.google.com/p/apktool/downloads/list

Make sure you download the correct zip file for your phone... And the updated apk. Follow the installation guide the developer has posted.

Before you split the boot.img make sure you're running apktool on an ext4 filesystem. Move the boot.img to /cache/subfolder our something like that.... then you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT:
If your ROM has SElinux integrated, make sure it's set to permissive before splitting the image file or you'll get sh-applet error.

Go into terminal emulator and type:

su
setenforce 0

Happy editing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: manudroid19

manudroid19

Feb 23, 2013
You can now edit/split a ramdisk on your phone now. Apktool on android has boot.img/ramdisk editing functionality. And a whole bunch of others....

Make sure you download the correct zip file for your phone... And the updated apk. Follow the installation guide the developer has posted.

Before you split the boot.img make sure you're running apktool on an ext4 filesystem. Move the boot.img to /cache/subfolder our something like that.... then you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT:
If your ROM has SElinux integrated, make sure it's set to permissive before splitting the image file or you'll get sh-applet error.

su
setenforce 0

I prefer using pc, mobile isn't good for image editing and boot.img is kernel, so just a little pediting will be a brick for sure.

Enviado desde mi GT-S6500D usando Tapatalk 2

epiquiem

May 25, 2013
epiquiem.github.io
So how do you put a modified kernel in a rom zip? I built a rom from source, and want to change the uninstalled kernel to my own. P.S I have a tool that does this and creates a flashable zip for you, if anyone wants it.

R.A.B

Apr 20, 2013
Great work!!!

Tried it on my SONY... - perfect! :good:

Thank you very much

juyel92

Jan 18, 2017
Assam
By using these tools Can I able to change my boot splash ( ASUS Boot logo) in my asus zenfone 5 ? If not, then please guide me so that i can change my ASUS BOOT LOGO with custom made boot logo.

Thanks in advance?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER NOTE: I AND XDA IS NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT YOUR PHONE MIGHT INCUR DURING THIS PROCESS, I HAVE TESTED IT IN MY BEST KNOWLEDGE TO WORK FOR OUR DEVICE BUT JUST TO BE SURE, PLEASE PERFORM ALL NECESSARY BACKUPS FOR THE PHONE TO PREVENT ANY DATA LOSS, IF YOU HAVE THE NEED TO DISAGREE AND/OR FAIL TO COMPLY JUST DON'T FLASH IT AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES

Pre-requisites:

Let's start!

1.-Take the boot.img of the kernel that you want to use

2.-Extract Android Image Kitchen

3.-Extract edit-image-windows.zip

4.-Put boot.img in Android Image Kitchen folder

5.-Now go to cmd and navigate to Android Image Kitchen folder

6.-Type:
    Code:
    unpackimg boot.img

7.-Now open windows explorer and navigate to *\Android Image Kitchen\ramdisk, look for a *.rle file and copy it. Rebember the name of the .rle file, you'll need it later.

8.-Paste the rle on edit-image-windows folder

9.- Open cmd, navigate to edit-image-windows folder and type:
    Code:
    rle2png nameoftthrle.rle 000x000

Where I wrote nameoftthrle.rle write the name of your rle and where I wrote 000x000 write your phone's resolution.

Example: for me, I have a GT-S6500D wich has a 320x480 resolution and the name of my rle is GT-S6500.rle so I must write:
    Code:
    rle2png GT-S6500.rle 320x480

10.- Open the .png file which is now on edit-image-windows folder with your image edition sowtware (I recommend Photoshop) and made the changes you want. In my phone, is only displayed on black and white, so it's useless to enable color mode.

11.-When you finished editing go again to cmd and write:
    Code:
    png2rle nameofttherle.png
    Where I wrote nameoftthrle.rle write the name of your png.
    Example:
    Code:
    png2rle GT-S6500.rle.png

12.-Now you'll have a file called nameofyourrle.rle.png.rle witch is the modified rle

13.-Go to *\Android Image Kitchen\ramdisk and replace the rle with the new one witch is modified.

14.-Now go to cmd, navigate to Android Image Kitchen folder, and type:
    Code:
    repackimg

15.-Done! rename the image-new.img to boot.img and flash it!

last one reserved

Pre-requisites:

Let's start!

Nice work, wonder if it work on window64

EDIT:

su
    setenforce 0