[Kernel] Lightnign Zap Kernel (Updated Weekly)

Search This thread

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Well then that must have been an isolated instance... thanks everyone! Working on getting source code up now...

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
I looked at the instructions again, and verified with the 01governor file in the zip, and the instructions as listed will not accomplish what you describe. Some of the lines you specify to un-comment, like 28 and 43, are these lines:

#===================================

and one of them is a blank line. Can you verify your instructions with the script in the zip file? Also, in the file in the zip you have line 34:

#AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"

and line 53:

SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave";

I think one of them is wrong, should they not both be 'powersave'?

Other than that, so far so good with the kernel, CM10 10/29 nightly and battery life is good, almost 14 hours on battery, 1.25 hours screen time, and 64% battery left.

christianxin

Jun 7, 2012
these lines change with reduce performance when we get more "powersave ". right ??

if it is not , why not do the value in default with this kernel.

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
I looked at the instructions again, and verified with the 01governor file in the zip, and the instructions as listed will not accomplish what you describe. Some of the lines you specify to un-comment, like 28 and 43, are these lines:

#===================================
I will double check the lines. Thanks for catching that. I use a standard format for all my LZ kernels and this is a victim of trying to hurry up and get it done...lol

and one of them is a blank line. Can you verify your instructions with the script in the zip file? Also, in the file in the zip you have line 34:

#AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"

and line 53:

SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave";

I think one of them is wrong, should they not both be 'powersave'?
They aren't wrong.
#AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver" is an awake governor (screen on). As my default settings, it has been commented out.
SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" Is the sleep (screen off) governor which is used to help gain maximum battery charge.

Other than that, so far so good with the kernel, CM10 10/29 nightly and battery life is good, almost 14 hours on battery, 1.25 hours screen time, and 64% battery left.

Those are pretty good stats. Thanks for all your input.

ganja_guru

May 3, 2011

That's pretty great battery life. Are you on the stock or extended battery ? Do you have minimal brightness or auto brightness ? Lastly, Wi-Fi or LTE? Thank you !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

kchen96

Jul 9, 2012
It drives me crazy when people post their battery life and have been on WiFi all day I wanna see battery stats of being on data only

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Yup. Well most people are on WIFI so... Anyways on WIFI ill get 2 days standby with 3 and a half hours screen. On lte/h+ ill get maybe 13 hours with 2 and a half screen

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: thakrew317

whassupmyninja

Jul 17, 2012
Jackson, MI
I'm running this on the collective aocp. Though Max CPU is limited to 1.51 is that normal for this kernel? I'll give this maybe a day then go back to kko

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
At OP, sorry I just assumed that powersave thing was a typo.

As for my battery usage, most of it is down to a tasker profile I use to disable data when the screen is off. But even with that the other kernels still seemed to draw more battery. And yes I have the larger Nexus battery as well. Next time I'll post screen shots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Smittiegee19

Aug 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
At OP, sorry I just assumed that powersave thing was a typo.

As for my battery usage, most of it is down to a tasker profile I use to disable data when the screen is off. But even with that the other kernels still seemed to draw more battery. And yes I have the larger Nexus battery as well. Next time I'll post screen shots.

Which tasker are using? I been looking for one.

lnfound

Jun 6, 2012
Slim + TFQ, extended nexus battery.

4.5hr screen on time, 8% left, minimal idle time.
No WiFi only data in border line LTE zone, flips between H, H+, and LTE all day.

I should mention that i run my apps in dark theme and gapps are inverted.

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
Which tasker are using? I been looking for one.

Which application? Tasker from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

As for the profile I setup, I have shared it in I think the battery saving thread in general, but I've made some significant changes to it. I also have the app factory so I'm going to try and make a standalone version of it.

Reactions: plwalsh88

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Slim + TFQ, extended nexus battery.

4.5hr screen on time, 8% left, minimal idle time.
No WiFi only data in border line LTE zone, flips between H, H+, and LTE all day.

I should mention that i run my apps in dark theme and gapps are inverted.

How long are you getting on a single charge?

OFWGKTADGAF

Dec 19, 2011
Not working on Superlight JB v.7.0

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

forgive me if i miss details . i try to look which rom this support . iam running liquid RC 5 . the other two kernel only support build after 10-14th.
what about this one ? the same ?

I'm honestly not real sure man. All I can say is flash it and see... I can tell you this is a CM9/10 kernel...

this must be the case. Superlight v7 was built oct 11 and this kernel will not work.

Heeter

Feb 26, 2011
OnePlus 6T
Just installed, purring like a kitten so far.

Will be testing battery life tomorrow when I wake up and start my day.

Specs of my SR is listed below.

Since I have continuous access to a battery charger all day, I changed my power_bias to more performance.

Thanks for your contribution, Mr thomas.raines.

Heeter

Edit: I have noticed that the flashing notification LEDS have stopped flashing during a notification. anyone else?

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Just installed, purring like a kitten so far.

Will be testing battery life tomorrow when I wake up and start my day.

Specs of my SR is listed below.

Since I have continuous access to a battery charger all day, I changed my power_bias to more performance.

Thanks for your contribution, Mr thomas.raines.

Heeter

Edit: I have noticed that the flashing notification LEDS have stopped flashing during a notification. anyone else?

They should only flash 3 times with a 6 second delay between flashes... but I haven't really noticed...Lol... I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow...

lnfound

Jun 6, 2012
How long was your phone on from the time you unplugged at 100% to the time you plugged back in. lol Your statement above means NOTHING without that little tidbit of info.

8hrs. And how does it mean nothing? Deep sleep is more or less consistent with battery drain. If I washed I could sleep the phone for 20 hours and say I had 28 hours with 4.5hrs screen on time.

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
8hrs. And how does it mean nothing? Deep sleep is more or less consistent with battery drain. If I washed I could sleep the phone for 20 hours and say I had 28 hours with 4.5hrs screen on time.

It means nothing unless you include both screen on time and total uptime.

Reactions: hechoen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Skyrocket

ATTN:
    I thomas.raines, nor my affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise screw up your device.

certifiedicon.png

I revamped the Lightning Zap! kernel across the board. Since I have so many of them I was loosing where I was on each one. So I have now broken it down into 3 phases:
    Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
    Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
    Phase 3: Implementation of OC/UV
    Phase 4: Continue updating and adjusting as necessary
    From now on I will name the .zip accordingly as well:
    Sky_p2.1
    On a good note, I think this latest update will finalize phase 2 and now I can work on OC/UV...

Features:
    Improved performance
    Improved battery life
    Improved network speeds
    Improved boot times
    Smoother scrolling
    Better responsiveness
    Cleaner file systems
    Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
    Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
    Improved Internet speed
    Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
    Make a backup
    Download LightningZapv1Sky.zip to PC
    Transfer LightningZapv1Sky.zip to your sdcard
    Or just download it straight to your phone
    Reboot to recovery
    Flash
    Phone will automatically reboot after install**
    Wait 10 minutes
    Enjoy the Lightning Zap!
    ATTN!
    If you are currently on any version of Lightning Zap! kernel, you must either replace your build.prop from your ROM or re-flash your current ROM. Or you can open your build.prop with a text editor and delete all lines below the Lightning Zap Tweaks entry.

This kernel was tested on ParanoidAndroid. This kernel and tweaks will work with any version of CM10 post 14OCT.

**First boot, especially after a fresh install of your ROM (wipe system cache etc, flash ROM gapps Lightning Zap) will take a while. It will seem to hang between a blank screen (which use to be the 2nd boot splash) and the boot animation. There is no need to panic. Everything is fine. It is the vacuum script trying to clean databases that have yet to be created. After first boot, your phone will boot as normal (a little faster actually)...

After first boot, ensure your I/O scheduler is set to cfq and your governor is set to ondemand to gain the maximum benefits of Lightning Zap!

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

Source Code:
    msm8660-common_lz_kernel
    vendor_lz-kernel (LZ vendor files for ROM compiling)
    LZ Flashing Packages (For those of you just compiling the kernel)
    Includes flashing script, binaries, etc for the Blaze, Nitro and Skyrocket

Special thanks to:
    gs2usr for the link to source code...
    xan for Voltage Control app
    Download links and changelog

Downloads and changelog

Skyrocket_p4.4-5.zip
    Upstream maintenance
    Anybody good with making a custom recovery and want to help out with the dual boot, hit me up...

Skyrocket_p4.4-4A.1.zip
    Fixed intermittent boot loop issue
    Dual boot has be put on hold for now...

Skyrocket_p4.4-A
    Removed topology and mpdecision in 4.4-4, but found all the gov's work best with mpdecision so I added it back.
    Adjusted CONFIG_NR_CPUS (number of cpu's) to cm default 999999 which causes the use of a CPU mask array. Small performance hit initially, but an overall vast improvement especially when multi-tasking.

Skyrocket_p4.4-3.zip
    Merged from upstream
    Added missing msm_mpdecsion blobs
    All governors and schedulers seem completely stable now (Keep testing please)
    Added True CD-ROM emulation interface (Not fully working on my computer. Need testers to verify with windows and linux) here is how to use it! (Special thanks goes to DooMLoRD and his doom kernel for the Xperia Z)
    init.d scripts updated with new mount params
    Enjoy!

Skyrocket_p4.4-2.zip
    Raised vm_max_readahed to 4096.

Lowered default max cpu freq to 1512.

Changed min cpu freq to 384 to fix Lionheart and Gallimaufry instability.

Skyrocket_p4.4-1.zip
    Fixed ability to change cpu frequency. Your changes now stick after closing app.
    Used userdebug lunch option. Now if you have red border on screen, it's more than likely in the ROM. Talk to your ROM dev.
    Possible fix for loss of su/root. (Let me know if you still loose it after flashing. I didn't have any issues this time.

Skyrocket_p4.4.zip
    Updated to 4.4 for cm-11.0. This means this version is for cm-11.0/android 4.4
    CPU frequency settings don't stick after closing the VC app
    Lionheart governor acts up a bit and might cause reboots if voltage is too low
    Lowering cpu frequency below 384 may cause instability
    Still testing. If you find any bugs, let me know and please add a logcat

Archived changelog

Enjoy the Zap!
    Voltage tables:
    Voltage tables:
    Voltage minimum
    Was 1000mV
    Now 700mV

Voltage max
    Was 1250
    Now 1350
    With a 25mV step between frequencies; however, 192mV-423mV are all three 700mV

The governor tweak is set for a fairly balance of performance and battery life. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
    1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
    2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
    3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
    4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in atext editor)
    5 Uncomment (remove # in the particular line) and change:
    Code:
    echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    To:
    Code:
    echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    6 Select menu/save
    7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
    8 Press run, close app and enjoy
    This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

If you want even better battery life:
    1 Following steps 1-4
    2 Add a # at the begining of lines 11 to 19
    3 Scroll to "pwoersaver" section
    4 Remove the # at the begining of lines 28, 30-38 and 43
    Code:
    #AWAKE_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    #SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    #    echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    etc
    Code:
    AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
    #SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
            echo "20000" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
    5 Follow steps 6-8 (no need to select super user icon if you already did)
    This will result in lower performance, but ultimate battery life

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
    Code:
    echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >   /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

Although it says not to in the script, you can change the sampling rate as well. Do not go below 50000. I left it at 57500 as I found this seems good setting for smooth scrolling and performance.

Code:
        echo "[COLOR=Red]57500[/COLOR]" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
    Always leave SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" uncommented (no #) and do not uncomment any other SLEEP_GOVERNOR as this will keep ultimate battery save while screen is off.
    Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.

I am not resposible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.
    The newest member to our community...Samantha

Best freaking update thus far

Phase 3 is now introduced and available
    Thanks to car vs driver, I was able to fix the ability to set the max/min cpu frequency. Now the Lightning Zap! kernel is right on track.

OC/UV is now part of the Lightning Zap! kernel!

Even though this is the final phase in building the LZ kernel, there is still some things I intend to do such as:
    Fine tuning governors and other values
    Implement scorched io-scheduler and governor
    Remove unneeded/unwanted governors
    Fine tune other values until the Lightning Zap! kernel is the best with performance and battery life.

Happy holidays!