Confirmed: The SD Slot works on the Asus Transformer... still no word for Xoom

Search This thread

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
My guess is Google and moto want to find a more elegant solution than mounting it inside the sdcard mount point.

I'm 100% certain someone could get the sdcard working now if we could get the kernel source with the driver.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Vyse666

Dec 1, 2009
My guess is Google and moto want to find a more elegant solution than mounting it inside the sdcard mount point.

I'm 100% certain someone could get the sdcard working now if we could get the kernel source with the driver.

The going theory is that, because Motorola piggybacked the SD Card slot onto the SIM slot, they need to wait for proprietary drivers to be ready.

Considering the WiFi-only model also has the SIM slot, I'm guessing there's some truth to this.

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
I am saying that I was under the assumption that the missing microSD functionality was a Honeycomb issue to be updated by Google.

The sdcard slot is just another piece of hardware that can be mounted as storage anywhere. The issue isn't mounting the storage, but where and how to integrate it so that applications can use it. Simply mounting the storage as a folder under the sdcard is frankly confusing to the average user who doesn't even have a file manager.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
And this concerns me a bit re: Asus. If they've performed some hack to get the SD card slot to work (and notice the "if" there), then I'm not sure if they're the route I want to go. If this isn't how Google's planning on implementing SD card storage into Honeycomb going forward (again, "if"), then how will Asus realign with Honeycomb once official support is provided?

And, what else have they hacked to enable support of all their other stuff? How much should I trust Asus to know what they're doing here? How much experience does Asus have with Android to be doing things like this?

All questions that make me reconsider my thinking that I might return my Xoom in favor of the Asus...

rjoudrey

Oct 9, 2008
Xoom has mapped the internal memory as an SDCard so theoretically the Xoom will need to have maping for 2 SDCards.

Could this have anything to do with the problem?

Kcarpenter

Nov 24, 2009
Clinton, TN
Xoom has mapped the internal memory as an SDCard so theoretically the Xoom will need to have maping for 2 SDCards.

This.
I've never tried it but I am doubting that you can mount to different devices to the same point, and call them the same thing. Especially since one of them won't always be there - if it was a 'raid' it might be a little different, but I think that would be a weird way of doing things too.....
Too many moving targets.

dubie76

May 22, 2010
Austin
www.driphter.com
close the thread. there are too many threads with people complaining about the lack of update and no sd support. Come on Motorola?

Come on people! Just wait. Relax. Complaining about it, is not going to speed up Motorola at all. BELIEVE ME, Motorola knows the issues at hand.

MikeyMike01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
close the thread. there are too many threads with people complaining about the lack of update and no sd support. Come on Motorola?

Come on people! Just wait. Relax. Complaining about it, is not going to speed up Motorola at all. BELIEVE ME, Motorola knows the issues at hand.

Motorola shipped something that doesn't function. The supposed update is nowhere to be found. Until it's out, people have every right to slam Motorola, and they'll deserve every bit of it.

Sent from my Captivate

Digital Man

Jul 21, 2007
New York
Motorola shipped something that doesn't function. The supposed update is nowhere to be found. Until it's out, people have every right to slam Motorola, and they'll deserve every bit of it.

Sent from my Captivate

I agree, Motorola is running a business. A business is competitive. If someone solves a problem before you, you lose customers. Sounds like ASUS has done that, and I appreciate the OP for letting us know that.

And as for the person above who recommended closing this thread, why would you do that? It provides new information, not just complaints.

sigp23940

Mar 30, 2010
Round Rock

Do not think this would be the problem since my Atrix phone has 16gb internal and my 8gb card in the sd card slot. Of course the Atrix calls them both the media area and when you move apps the phone only has the option to move apps to the media area. So of course they all go to the internal memory and not the card. I can manually move things like music and videos to the card but all the apps seem to want to fill up the internal mem first then I guess it will start adding them to the sd card once the internal fills up. They really need to give the app manager the option to move to either locations.

crauzz

Oct 15, 2009
I think we need a new Topic section under Xoom labeled buyers remorse. These people need a place to complain elsewhere.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
YOU knew the slot would NOT function. MOTO NEVER stated to the public when it would be. had they said "slot will be enabled march12th" or some such and it didnt, then heck yeah we all have a right to get on the soap box.

however, moto did not put out a release date. if you ever heard of one it was rumor.

yelling, complaining here and opening up multiple threads on the same subject falls on deaf ears at moto. call them up, go to their support forums. this is a technical forum on the gadget, not a place to vent.

you/we ALL knew the flash support, slot and LTE would not be turned on at launch. some of us early adopters went ahead and purchased anyway.. took a gamble that everything would be enabled in two weeks or so. your gamble didn't bear much fruit save the flash support.

you had 30 days (longer at costco) to demo/try the unit until you had to return. you continued to gamble. you lost now you want to complain endlessly about it?

be disappointed at yourself for continunig to gamble. you made a poor business decision in something you didnt like anymore. you should have weighed your options within the return window.. you didnt. you lose. :eek: moveon.org ... ;)

no hard feelings chaps.. i want all of yous guys to be happy. just submitting my point of view.. :D

Sent from my Captivate

Reactions: Psychokitty

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
YOU knew the slot would NOT function. MOTO NEVER stated to the public when it would be. had they said "slot will be enabled march12th" or some such and it didnt, then heck yeah we all have a right to get on the soap box.

however, moto did not put out a release date. if you ever heard of one it was rumor.

yelling, complaining here and opening up multiple threads on the same subject falls on deaf ears at moto. call them up, go to their support forums. this is a technical forum on the gadget, not a place to vent.

you/we ALL knew the flash support, slot and LTE would not be turned on at launch. some of us early adopters went ahead and purchased anyway.. took a gamble that everything would be enabled in two weeks or so. your gamble didn't bear much fruit save the flash support.

you had 30 days (longer at costco) to demo/try the unit until you had to return. you continued to gamble. you lost now you want to complain endlessly about it?

be disappointed at yourself for continunig to gamble. you made a poor business decision in something you didnt like anymore. you should have weighed your options within the return window.. you didnt. you lose. :eek: moveon.org ... ;)

no hard feelings chaps.. i want all of yous guys to be happy. just submitting my point of view.. :D

Does this mean that the fact the XOOM currently advertised in the UK showing off all its specs (including microSD support) will actually have a working SD card when I get it next week?

Because if not, it sure as hell is Motorola's fault. Sure I know there are non-working SD slots cause I read XDA but non of the adverts for the UK XOOM mention anywhere that it won't work.

We'll see just how pissed we need to be with them next week when we finally get our hands on these.

Reactions: ghodzilla5150

Digital Man

Jul 21, 2007
New York

I'm not sure that its good business policy on the part of Motorola to make customers GAMBLE when they purchase their products.

And a majority of us are STILL within our return window. So if what you say about our waiting too long and losing our gamble is true, then are you advocating a mass return by everyone who is still unhappy, otherwise we wil be guilty of having made in your words: "a poor business decision"?

Personally I love my XOOM and have no intention of returning it. Guess I won my gamble and made a good business decision!

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
ASUS just released their Transformer kernel source. It could surely clue the Xoom kernel developers in as to what ASUS has done to make this work for that device. If there are proprietary drivers involved to get it working on the Xoom due to hardware differences, then that's another story.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gHh4q7I8dvWJzhdV

I have a feeling that Moto intends to implement it differently on the XOOM, which is why theyre waiting on it. I think they want to take advantage of the SD as real storage instead of just external. I may be mistaken though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To get SD Card support we need two things:

- the SDHC block device
    - Android OS support
    ... so today, I got to thinking, then got to work.

Turns out that in the AOSP kernel source for the Tegra devices there's three hardware platforms defined: "Stingray" (our 3G/WiFi Xooms) and the "Harmony" and "Olympus" platforms (for which devices I don't know). Anyway, after looking at the GPIO allocations for the other two platforms, I noticed there was a third SDHCI channel set up on the Harmony platform, so I tried using those GPIOs- and I got the block device part working!

Then came the harder second part- getting the Android user-space to (seamlessly) recognize the block device for mounting (without having to deal with scripts). I have the GB source for derivative comparison, and while hoping they're not too far off one another realized that unless there's something I can't figure out (someone needs to Deodex it, perhaps) there's still only one removable partition supoorted (which we all seem to know). So, to mitigate that I have some mods to the init scripts which work; if an SD-Card with one Primary VFAT partition is in at boot it will be loaded at /mnt/usbdisk. While it shouldn't be pulled out unless the power's off, there's a way to mount/unmount it manually via "setprop" as well.

Anyway, I've been talking to BigRushDog and CoolBHO3000 (who have been also working on this, and apparently have a solution, too) about what I've been doing (all props to them, as I probably wouldn't have even bothered to root and get involved in working on the Xoom kernel were it not for the Tiamat OC mods), and I'll deliver what I have to them for inclusion in a kernel (if you're good with "git", PM me for the GitHub SHAs/branches. I'm also up-to-date on the AOSP kernel upstream commits on the kernel I'm running, too).

So anyway I got long-winded again, but the good news is we should have some sort of preliminary support until Google and Moto give us the real thing.

Sent from my Captivate

Does this mean that the fact the XOOM currently advertised in the UK showing off all its specs (including microSD support) will actually have a working SD card when I get it next week?

Because if not, it sure as hell is Motorola's fault. Sure I know there are non-working SD slots cause I read XDA but non of the adverts for the UK XOOM mention anywhere that it won't work.

We'll see just how pissed we need to be with them next week when we finally get our hands on these.
    The problem I have with all this is knowing "if" and not "when" we'll get the major updates we need.

The problem with the whole system of consumer electronics / software these days is that companies can take your money with incomplete products and no legal obligations to actually fix that at any point in the future.

Look at what happens with console games these days, released unfinished, patched on release due to major problems.

As consumers we are allowing this to go too far by letting companies push their unfinished products on us.

In day to day life it annoys me more and more as it happens more and more often.

I'm in the field and we certainly don't release products that are incomplete.
    will your developments allow the user on the xoom to choose where to store files or apps when downloaded?
    Perhaps via Astro or Root File Manager (? I think that's what it's called).

As far as applications, I'd be highly surprised in the current incantation, but I pushed a change I handed off to BRD yesterday that might allow App2SD to move apps there (there's crypto-signage that needs to be present on an SD-Card for moving apps to external storage).

But this is a stopgap 'till Moto/Google get us the Real Deal (which is hopefully sooner than later).