GPS woes & new ICS update

Search This thread

green750one

Oct 16, 2010
Epsom
I wonder if the new .1 revision helps? Although it's not been pushed out everywhere....hmmmmmm

From what I've read the 11.1 revision hasn't been pushed out and is not publicly available from Asus. It seems to be some kind of beta update, and only for US Primes. I did see if I could load it on my UK Prime but it isn't recognised.

Incidentally I managed to get GPS fixes on my way home in the car tonight. Varied between 2 & 13 satellites with intermittent locking. Quite pleased as this is first ever sign my Prime has even remotely working GPS!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

FlaTLinE-

Feb 19, 2008
Roseville
GPS

I've updated to the latest 11.1 and since that update lost all the satellites that were once visible via GPS.

Has anyone tried pulling and substituting the old GPS driver files from prior ASUS releases?

This seems like an old haunt to me, being a prior AT&T Captivate owner [AKA Samsung Galaxy S phone]

Does anyone know which modules / driver files are used for the GPS on this device? I’d be happy to start swapping some files out to see if performance improves.

I’d try and swap any common ones shared for ICS from my Verizon Galaxy Nexus if anyone knew which files were loaded by the system.

:D

doeboy711

Dec 12, 2009
Owings, MD
I bought one on the 6th from BB and received it on the 10th. Everything works except the GPS. It see's 0 satellites ever. I left mine on for about an hour or so, and it didn't work from day 1. This is my second TFP that the GPS didn't work at ALL. No updates from HC to ICS to this other update that helped.

I just received a email alert about BB having them in stock. I called them and they just re-shipped one to me at no expense and when I receive their's, I have a couple of days to return the defective one. I was happy it turned out that way. Good customer service IMO. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Salvamando

Jan 22, 2012
Same deal with me!

So I just received my Prime on Saturday and was eager to have ICS be installed. Prior to the update I double checked my GPS and Wifi and both were working fine, albeit at a not so stellar performance, but essentially it worked. Installed ICS and my WIFI improved but my GPS is now completely non-functional..:confused: Like others I conclude that in addition to hardware issues, there must be some bug in the update in regards to GPS.....

seigex

Jun 28, 2007
I also lost gps COMPLETELY after the ICS update.. had lock outside with HC... something I noticed since I rooted is with the latest updates gps.conf no longer seems exists in the file system... something that did exist in HC ...

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
My gps does not work either, I can only assume it was the update. My Galaxy Tab 8.9 immediately sees 14+ satellites. I never cared that the performance was weak but this is worse. I wrote Asus, but no response which is unusual, perhaps they are investigating.

nixtip

Nov 26, 2011
GPS works !

I have this:
ICS is: 4.0.3.
GPS is: 6.9.13

Folks, my update now works !!! I tested on two different GPS apps and it located me ! it took only 2 minutes !

Last edited:

nixtip

Nov 26, 2011
It wasn't working before but now it works every time, just takes few minutes to find you and then it works. I tried in still position, driving in a car(under a very bad weather by the way) and it works everywhere.

arcmetal

Jan 24, 2012
GPS never worked for me

Both before and after ICS my tf201 never saw a single satellite. Wifi sucks terribly also, so consider me less than happy.

uhmzilighase

Aug 27, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
GPS working

See that little circle notification if it is not flashing it is not trying to lock so all you gotta do to get it to start locking is expand than minimize the notification bar!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I was having the exact same issue. The GPS icon in the notification bar did not flash and was not searching. It's not at all obvious that expanding the notification bar starts it off.

Now instead of 0 sats I can see several. Thanks for mentioning this!

RoosterX

Apr 13, 2010
Borås
See that little circle notification if it is not flashing it is not trying to lock so all you gotta do to get it to start locking is expand than minimize the notification bar!

Thank you for that one, i didn't believe my gps worked at all, but tried what you said and it immediately found(when outside) 12 satellites, made me happy to know it wasn't completely dead. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No difference for me, no satellites before or after the update. But...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1459356

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Premium.
    Well, damn it ASUS! I had a vague GPS thing going on when I first got ICS. Since I got the update for GPS it's killed it :(

I left the prime in the window bay for 25 mins and this is what I got
    20120123_083159.jpg

Nothing. I presume this has nothing to do with root etc? Would a system erase make any difference? Is it even worth a try?

It's not like I use it often, but it used to lock from here fine and now it doesn't.

Meh!
    Good idea and thanks - I tried this, flat, next to a window and left for an hour. Still nothing :( How can an OTA update that claims to fix GPS break it?! Lol!
    20120123_121300.jpg

Do yourself a favor change the power modes while in the GPS app!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    HAHAHAHA!! JoTeC that cracked me up!