[Q] Should I flash my G900I with a G900F ROM?

Search This thread

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Does Taiwan ROM change the modem? Does it include camera on lock screen? Also if flashing do we need to wipe the phone first?

Sent from my SM-G900I using xda app-developers app

gjlamb

Aug 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yes I have. V1.4 works perfectly.

Others have had a few problems with battery, Bluetooth and NFC. I installed it like this. Chainfire's root, PhilzTouch Recovery, Factory Reset, Wipe to install new ROM, Install Omega. Not one issue.

Hows your LTE? Do you have always on S Voice? Couldn't see in Omega thread....is Touchwiz still there? If so I assume dock is not locked? These are the main issues I'm looking to resolve.

gjlamb

Aug 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21
Has anyone here tried flashing the unbranded xsa over the Telstra firmware. From previous experience on my old s4, the dock was still locked on xsa firmware. Also is anyone finding WiFi to be slow on Telstra firmware. The browser loads very slow, my friends note 3 on same WiFi connection is fine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Flashed xsa. All same issues are still there. ;(

markymarkis

Apr 27, 2007
Flashed xsa. All same issues are still there. ;(

i flashed the taiwanese rom on my g900i and everything is better, going to do my partners phone later
i can recommend everyone flashing it, if you don't like it, you can go back to xsa (stock samsung)

except the svoice always on ? not sure about this one.

so with the taiwan rom i get unlocked dock, auto rotate in gallery, if the phone is muted or on vibrate the camera shutter sound is off too, usb3 works under windows, and i can turn on the camera on lock screen.

but svoice, I've got it turned on, but if i say hi galaxy it doesn't do anything, except in car mode, it works in car mode..
I've got to double press the home key to get svoice to come up.

am i missing something, is it meant to be listening all the time for the magic word? or wouldn't that just chew the battery up?

acarmody2002

May 26, 2008
Hows your LTE? Do you have always on S Voice? Couldn't see in Omega thread....is Touchwiz still there? If so I assume dock is not locked? These are the main issues I'm looking to resolve.

LTE works fine. S Voice is on and still accessible by double tapping home button but it won't open on voice alone, seems to be a big issue, tonnes of links to it on Google. Omega is a Touchwiz rom so it is still there but I use Nova Launcher myself, absolutely love it. But I just switched to Touchwiz to try it for you and the dock is not locked, as in, you can switch out apps for other apps in the dock, if that's what you are asking?

Last edited:
Reactions: gjlamb

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Taiwan rom has a different modem. meaning reception / data wont be as good, and will drain your battery as its constantly searching for a different frequency..

markymarkis

Apr 27, 2007
Taiwan rom has a different modem. meaning reception / data wont be as good, and will drain your battery as its constantly searching for a different frequency..

havent noticed any problem. been running it all day, seems good. stable, battery bout the same as before.
speed test the same

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

havent noticed any problem. been running it all day, seems good. stable, battery bout the same as before.
speed test the same

according to this
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html
taiwan has the same frequency as australia.
but australia has 3G 850 (telstra), 3G 900 (optus and vodafone)

I've got to test in an area where telstra 2100 doesn't work to see if this modem operates in 850hz too :)

unless anyone knows of an app or a # code to display the frequencies on the phone.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

speed test the same

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

according to this

I've got to test in an area where telstra 2100 doesn't work to see if this modem operates in 850hz too :)

unless anyone knows of an app or a # code to display the frequencies on the phone.

damn, i just put in a 4g sim card and it connected for a few seconds on 4g then reverted to 3g.
my normal sim is a boot sim card, it uses telstra 3g 850mhz and 2100mhz
wonder if i can just flash the australian modem over the top of the taiwan firmware.
that could work!

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

speed test the same

according to this

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

damn, i just put in a 4g sim card and it connected for a few seconds on 4g then reverted to 3g.
my normal sim is a boot sim card, it uses telstra 3g 850mhz and 2100mhz
wonder if i can just flash the australian modem over the top of the taiwan firmware.
that could work!

maybe i don't have good 4g reception at home, tried another phone and it sits on 3g too. :(

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

ok found a way around it.
flash the taiwan rom with odin.
let it reboot and complete.
and extract the tar contents from the xsa firmware
then go back into download mode
and flash modem.bin
go back to download mode and flash NON-HLOS.bin
both using the CP option in odin.
so you get the taiwan rom without all the restrictions and the official gsm and lte modem from the xsa firmware
works GREAT!!!!!

Last edited:

gjlamb

Aug 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21
and flash modem.bin
so you get the taiwan rom without all the restrictions and the official gsm and lte modem from the xsa firmware
works GREAT!!!!!

So given that works ok, we should be able to flash any G900F ROM that has everything working including always on listening and flash the modem over the top? Keep us updated as to how it goes with non Aus rom with xsa modem

markymarkis

Apr 27, 2007
So given that works ok, we should be able to flash any G900F ROM that has everything working including always on listening and flash the modem over the top? Keep us updated as to how it goes with non Aus rom with xsa modem

that won't work because the boot loader will see that you're downloading an incorrect firmware, the boot loader identifies as g900i but when odin starts to send the g900f file it gets rejected because its a mismatch,
but sending the modem, its for the g900i so it passes.
i'll keep you updated after a few days
my partner has the same phone, we bought them both on launch, so i'll leave one at standard stock from samsung, and my one with the taiwan rom and xsa modem.

:) if theres anything you want me to try, let me know

Reactions: gjlamb

markymarkis

Apr 27, 2007
that won't work because the boot loader will see that you're downloading an incorrect firmware, the boot loader identifies as g900i but when odin starts to send the g900f file it gets rejected because its a mismatch,
but sending the modem, its for the g900i so it passes.
i'll keep you updated after a few days
my partner has the same phone, we bought them both on launch, so i'll leave one at standard stock from samsung, and my one with the taiwan rom and xsa modem.

:) if theres anything you want me to try, let me know

heres some proof
baseband is G900IDVU1ANC6 (xsa)
android build is G900IZTU1ANCB (taiwan)
:)

gjlamb

Aug 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21
But G900F custom roms go onto G900I ok? Maybe just depends on which G900F rom is the base?

Maybe other variant rom can be flashed with s-off and change carrier ID?

Last edited:

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
speed test the same

and flash modem.bin
works GREAT!!!!!

dude that is awesome! u have the start of a new rom here! u should upload it to the android thread. root it, strip back a few bloatware crap and there u go

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I did what you said. everything fine EXCEPT

message app now adds +61 to all my contacts in the list cause it thinks its from a different country.
now my message app doesn't recognise any of my contacts.... do you have this issue too?? only thing i can do is merge contacts but im not going to do that to all of them and every new message that i get.

any way around this that you can think of?

they appear OK in contacts but not in message app

markymarkis

Apr 27, 2007
I did what you said. everything fine EXCEPT

message app now adds +61 to all my contacts in the list cause it thinks its from a different country.
now my message app doesn't recognise any of my contacts.... do you have this issue too?? only thing i can do is merge contacts but im not going to do that to all of them and every new message that i get.

any way around this that you can think of?

they appear OK in contacts but not in message app

i had this issue too, I'm using exchange for my contacts/mail/calendar, so i removed the account, which removed all my contacts, then i re-added the account and it fixed it all up. i think its some cache problem from going from one firmware to another.

Reactions: prot-

trevagreene

Jan 8, 2011
Melbourne
I have the G900I and here's what I did to get around the locked dock.

Root the rom using cf-root and modify the following.

Open the /system/csc/others.xml file and change TRUE to FALSE on the following line:

<CscFeature_Launcher_ReplaceHotseatAreaInEditMode>TRUE</CscFeature_Launcher_ReplaceHotseatAreaInEditMode>

And while your at it, to enable gallery auto rotate after root, do the following in the same others.xml file

"<CscFeature_Gallery_AddAutoRotationIcon>TRUE</CscFeature_Gallery_AddAutoRotationIcon>" and change TRUE to FALSE.

Save your changes, reboot

As for using another rom, I'd wait until development is churning out lots of rom variations.

Sent from my SM-G900I.

I tried to edit this file in ES Explorer but it wouldn't allow me to save it. Can you let me know what you used to edit it ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the G900I and here's what I did to get around the locked dock.

Root the rom using cf-root and modify the following.

Open the /system/csc/others.xml file and change TRUE to FALSE on the following line:

<CscFeature_Launcher_ReplaceHotseatAreaInEditMode>TRUE</CscFeature_Launcher_ReplaceHotseatAreaInEditMode>

And while your at it, to enable gallery auto rotate after root, do the following in the same others.xml file

"<CscFeature_Gallery_AddAutoRotationIcon>TRUE</CscFeature_Gallery_AddAutoRotationIcon>" and change TRUE to FALSE.

Save your changes, reboot

As for using another rom, I'd wait until development is churning out lots of rom variations.

Sent from my SM-G900I.
    Hi people's,

I have created a thread for general discussions for all Galaxy S5 Australian users.

This thread has deviated from the OP Let's keep all our information flowing on the new thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2723223

Sent from my SM-G900I
    I've flashed many different ROMs over the years and never had issues but I was curious as to whether the different modem in another variant would cause issues with LTE?

The G900I I have has it's dock locked so can't change anything and the always on voice (Hi Galaxy from sleep) doesn't work. These 2 issues seem common with the G900I. Here in Australia our LTE bands seem different to most other countries so I need to know if I screw with the baseband etc, will I have issues with network speed?

Thanks
    antigravity - im not sure bout the camera but as far as using the taiwanese firmware let us know how you go. The OP had a good point in that other countries use different LTE bands so it may or may not work. Either way let us know..

Sent from my SM-G900I

Taiwanese firmware works perfectly well on an Australian 900I.

Doesn't have download booster or Paypal fingerprint, but I wouldn't use those features anyway.

Will probably end up loading a custom ROM at some stage, but so far, the Taiwanese firmware works great. No noticeable difference with 3G/4G on the Telstra network.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    Does anyone try the omega rom for Aussie S5 SM-G900I?

Enviado do meu SM-G900I através de Tapatalk

Yes I have. V1.4 works perfectly.

Others have had a few problems with battery, Bluetooth and NFC. I installed it like this. Chainfire's root, PhilzTouch Recovery, Factory Reset, Wipe to install new ROM, Install Omega. Not one issue.