[MOD][05Aug10][v1.6][SENSE2.5TAB] Facebook Tab - v1.6 (+192xPatch)

Search This thread

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
picture.php

picture.php

Latest Info
12Oct2011 - Facebook has altered the authorisation slightly, so manual paste method needs a little extra care (details here - Thanks to Nullstring).

(01June2011)Big RSSTab Development Announcement
(3March2011) Dual (AKA Easy) Cab Install Released - meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip (See install post for instructions)

Moved to post#3 to avoid confusion:
meltwater HTC FbTab v1.6.cab (3.32 MB, 7583 views)
v1.6Release05Aug2010.zip (3.25 MB, 9095 views)
(31Jan2011) Easy/Dual Cab Install Method Trial - Testing a new way to install and uninstall the FbTab.
(meltwater_FbTabV1.6&SenseUtil.cab (603 views) meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs).zip (272 views))
(4Dec2010) Introducing SenseUtil to assist with installation of any custom tab
(27Sep2010) Lang files added (hu-hu - zoliwr, zh-tw - mudhi). Many thanks.
(24Aug2010) New forum banner by Drakknar (thanks!)
(23Aug2010) Sense 2.5.192x (& old sense) Patch released (allows most of the tab functions to be used on a 2.5.192x based device)
(18Aug2010) TabProject2:Call for Developers
(11Aug2010) Facebook Tab v1.6 Cab & EXT (post#2) released
(05Aug2010) Updated Facebook Tab v1.6 released - GTX, Cabs & EXT will hopefully follow (v1.5 Cab kept to allow install and upgrade - use v1.6 cab)
(31July2010) Drakknar's icons are now live on facebook!
(22July2010) Request for FbTab Icon!
(21July2010) Captain Throwback's Cab (meltwater HTC FbTab v1.5.cab) moved to post#1 (please follow instructions on post#3 for install and un-install)
(20July2010) Tutorial/Files for changing Tab Text to Black (apaquette420 - see links below)
(19July2010) pt-pt & pt-br lang file RevB - attached to post#4
(16July2010) Fr-fr lang file RevB - attached to post#4
(16July2010) Upgrade Cabs are available see (1st roundup of Q&A Support below)
(15July2010) Releasing the v1.5 manual files now, let me know how you get on.

Please follow the install instructions very carefully & RTFM (read the fantastic manual) before asking Qs.

Note on development...
I have a development version which I've been working on which can do a lot more with the facebook api, however it is far from complete or bug free, but it was able to post comments, read all the status updates/wall posts of all your friends etc etc. I was also playing around with different GUI aspects but I hit several limits with the Sense SDK I was using etc.

Anyway, basically I've not had any time to look at it for the last few months, and the best course of action is to scrap it and let the XdaFacebook App team use the ties I was planning to use to link the tab to an application. Hopefully I can get a few of my ideas and suggestions put into the app, so the vision I had for the tab can still be realised. Since I'm not using facebook that much at the moment, I think this is the best way for the tab to move forward and provide more for everyone.

Hopefully as my work on the RSSTab continues, the main core of the Facebook tab (the HTC engine) can be replaced by the XdaFacebook app, so all the data in the tab can be populated directly from the same source. Although this will be a while off, this will be the best solution in the end.

Donations
PayPal: if you use the facebook tab and would like my work to continue
I purposely did not include a donate button on the 1st release since although I had made several changes to the tab a lot of it was purely HTC functionality (and it would have been hard to understand what was my own work and what HTC have already included).
I did not feel it was fair to ask for donations where my own work on it was not clear.

However, since the 1st release I have been working very hard on this project, I have spent many hours/days/weeks testing and experimenting with the facebook api and with ensuring that the new additions will work not only on my device but will function for everyone (believe me it's a frustrating task).

So if you like using the tab (or if I've helped you get it working), and if you feel my work deserves it then please make a small donation, even if it's a few cents (even a tiny bit shows your appreciation).

Any donations will be spent on things to help me focus on developing the tab further, first up is a new battery (only $15!) as my phone has suffered from the many resets it has taken to test the sense code so far, so I really need to get a backup one. Hopefully that isn't a huge ask.

New phone battery is on it's way, many thanks to the total of 3 detonator so far. Next up, although I'm not confident on this one, is a battery for my laptop so I can program without being tethered to a power socket (and losing my work when it disconnects - have about 10 seconds before it dies). Again, I plan to get it from a cheep place so it's not too expensive, just something which only needed for this hobby.

It all shows that my work means something.

Information on the facebook api
When I started looking into the facebook api (something I said I wouldn't do I know) I discovered "Facebook Developer Toolkit", excellent I thought, my work is done, plug it in and away we go.

However, investigating further Microsoft had taken over the toolkit, the compact framework (as used by Windows Mobile) had been dropped (since Jan 14 2008) and they are only just building SilverLight support into it (windows phone 7). Add to that, facebook have introduced the GraphApi which replaces the Api implemented in the Jan 2008 build (and I don't think it's in the current Tookkit yet).

You might guess the next bit, after a lot of work, I have the outline of my own Fb Graph Api support. The next release shall be the foundation point of this work, if successful the remainder of my test code can be built in (but I didn't want to delay things any longer and I needed to see if it works on-mass first).

It has taken a lot to get it to this point - my only other windows mobile app was "Hello Worlde" so once again I have been starting from scratch and learning A LOT:
I hope you enjoy my hard work.

This release is to bring the general release up to speed with my current work, it may not appear to be significant in added functionality but believe me it is the stepping stone required for what comes next...

Information on the tab.
The origins of the facebook tab is the relocation of the HTC People Update's tab which is built into sense already. The mod originally moved this functionality into the main tabs and added a few extra features, therefore enabling everyone to enjoy the built in facebook functionality without hunting to find it, but also enjoy the excellent features HTC had already integrated.

Since then, I've been working hard to extend the features which the tab provides, improve the options for how things are displayed and allow easy configuration. Overtime, more features will be included and hopefully support for external apps perhaps.

Please don't badger for specific facebook features, I'm well aware I can't do comments, pokes, likes, notifications etc etc, but the current release is a huge step toward that and hopefully it will come in time.

Read and understand the above information before asking for features, but this is what I still hope to do (again don't post asking for them if it's on this list!).
To Do
  1. 192X version See patch in post below
  2. Stage 2 of Facebook Api
    [*]Use extra space at top of landscape mode
  3. Include sense language selection HKCU\MUI\CurLang
  4. Handle senseSDK version exception
    [*]Support non-standard chars on Status Update post to facebook
    [*]Remove item list scroll lag

Development Progress
[MOD][SENSE2.5TAB] Facebook Tab - Developer Thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=663494
Note:
The development work is on going and I will release the next version when there is something essential and must-have implemented.
I would rather spend time developing new features than releasing tiny updates of little significance.

Known Issues
Will not work on manila 2.5.1921xxxx or lower (and some ROMs) - use 192x Install Patch (see Install post#3)!
It seems there are two versions of the facebook engine and the older one (used by 2.5.192x and some other ROMs) the 0DE73B01_manila file is smaller (~41k) than the newer version (~47k).
If you have the older version (small file), then you must use the 192x version of the tab or the tab will be un-usable and crash sense.

Info for cooks
See section "Can we cook this in a ROM?" in post #2 for EXT file etc.

Change History
23 Aug 2010 Sense 2.5.192x (& old sense) Patch released (MattOG testing)
11 Aug 2010 v1.6 Cab Release (captain_throwback & qitt)
05 Aug 2010 v1.6 Release
21 July 2010 v1.5 Cab Release (1032+250 views) +706 for v1.6 update (captain_throwback)
15 July 2010 v1.5 Release (1881 views) + GTXSkin (361+183 views) (mike2nl)
-(see user manual for update details) included lang files
(en-gb,en-us,nl-nl,fr-fr,de-de,pt-pt,pt-br,cs-cz,it-it,el-gr,sk-sk)
15 April 2010 v1.01 ReleaseD (2815 views) + All-In-One Cab (7762 views)
- Joint fixes for icon issues (etoy & qitt), included lang files
(en-gb,en-us,de-de,pt-pt,es-es,fr-fr,cs-cz,it-it,zh-tw,no-no)
12 April 2010 v1.0 All-In-One Cab Release Cab (353+71 views)
- Joint work from johncmolyneux & Captain_Throwback
24 March 2010 v1.0 ReleaseC (5185 views)+Cab(1084 views)
- switch over to use FacebookStatusUpdate.exe instead of mortscript
- updated manila so "Facebook.MyStatusScript" can be left blank and still run Facebook.MyStatusExe
(if using older release just leave the entry, it will be ignored - otherwise it'll skip copy of my status)
- updated Readme
- reg file no longer system hidden
FacebookStatusUpdate.zip (234 views)
- exe available to replace mortscript! (thanks to johncmolyneux) - see install instructs for details (will repack later)
23 March 2010 V1.0 ReleaseB (494 views)
- Changed default facebook app to MS Facebook App
- Updated Readme
23 March 2010 V1.0 Release
- First release

NEWS
POCKETNOW.COM Facebook Tab Released for HTC Sense 2.5
http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/facebook-tab-released-for-htc-sense-25
POCKETNOW.COM Video: Facebook Tab for HTC Sense
[/SIZE]http://pocketnow.com/softwar...cketnow+(pocketnow.com)&utm_content=Google+UK

Finally the tab for htc FACEBOOK Sense 2.5 is just beginning (Italian)
http://htc.hdblog.it/2010/03/24/finalmente-il-tab-facebook-per-htc-sense-2-5-muove-i-primi-passi/

I'm well proud! Thanks!

Thanks To
Sense 2.5.192x Patch Testing MattOG
v1.5 Beta Testers Agent Zach, Captain_Throwback, johncmolyneux, mike2nl, mkucuksari,electrikjesus, madindehead, Quitt, sternas, wez89
Sense SDK support eboelzner (+greenhacks & others on the thread)
Language Translations -see post #4 for details

BeeGee_Tokyo & maxycy (v1.5 maxSense fix)
Captain_Throwback (cab's etc)
johncmolyneux (FacebookStatusUpdate.exe, All-In-One exe, coding support)
etoy & qitt (Icon fixes)
MoonNah (for use of ManilaStartFix used in cabs)
Co0kieMonster
utopykzebulon
Everyone behind the kitchen (without which I would have got no-where):
12aon, 6fg8, chainfire, sztupy, Co0kieMonster etc
People who provided language files.

Also thanks for all the words of encouragement, patience and praise.

Thanks to Donators:
Laurentius26 - 12April2011
unknown - 16Dec2010
MattOG - 13Aug2010
weepatc - 11Aug2010
sharkie405
beegee_tokyo
Agent Zach

Warnings etc
Modifying manila means various levels of messing around with the files on the device so, as with most of the mods on here, back-up often and be prepared to screw it up and hard-reset your device. All the changes explained here may or may-not work on your particular device/version of manila or perhaps it's just not going to happen today.

______

Latest WVGA Screens

Latest VGA Screens

______

Thread Quicklinks:
RTFM - Read The Fantastic Manual & FAQ [Post#2]
Install Instructions [Post#3]
Language Files [Post#4]

v1.6 Release - Support for this release starts here [Post#1002+]
v1.5 Release - 1st roundup of Q&A Support [Post#829] Please read before posting similar Qs
v1.5 Release - Support for this release starts here [Post#771+]

Thread Tips/Guides:
(apaquette420) Change Tab Text To Black Tutorial & Files

See Sense FbTab Install Post for install instructions (must read before installing).
picture.php

Attachments

• meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 9,425
Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
RTFM - Read The Fantastic Manual

RTFM - User Manual

Features
All the HTC facebook goodness on your doorstep!

Plus:
  • Update Now left-soft key
  • Launch Facebook App in menu (configure to fav app)
  • Launch Facebook Online in menu (configure to fav site)
  • Successful Update Time Display
  • Adjustable Automatic Update Peroid
  • My Updates - Displays your real status (only support text updates - urls etc ignored)

New For v1.6:
  • Improved scrolling
  • Support for non-ascii character updates
  • Anniversary/Birthday Icons moved for expanded views
  • Updated package to include fixed lang files
  • Correct reg key for Desktop Online

New For v1.5:
  • Update your facebook status directly from the tab!
  • Sense Settings Page (all settings for the tab now configurable via sense)
  • Expand/Collapse View
  • Introducing the HTC FbTab, (Stage 1 - The initial step to access the Facebook Api).
  • Improved multi-language support (api available for wm apps)

Facebook Tab Settings v1.6
picture.php
picture.php

The settings page is split into 5 main sections.
If any settings are adjusted, the user will be able to apply the settings from this page or to discard the changes.
The exception is within the Facebook Api Settings page where the authorisation keys are stored as soon as they are obtained.

Selection between normal and advanced settings (A) are set by the "Enable Advanced Settings" checkbox within the Advanced setting section.
Note: Any changes to any Advanced settings may cause issues with the operation of the tab if done incorrectly, so make sure you understand the purpose of these settings before you change them. They are marked as Advanced settings for a reason!

1 - Data Connections
picture.php
ScreenShot80.jpg

Normal(1) Advanced(2)

Enable auto update timer[]
- Enable this setting if you wish the tab to automatically update for the specified period (this is independent of the HTC Download data automatically setting below).

Update internal in mins XX
- Period before automatic update occurs. Note: This appears only to run when the tab is selected, timer is reset on entry to the tab. Range is currently limited to 1-99 mins.

Download data when roaming
- I've not tested this much (I keep my data connections disabled). This setting controls if data connections should be allowed when roaming (not sure if that's general mobile connections via GPRS & 3G or when you are not on your foreign cell network). This setting is the setting available in the old HTC setting page.

(A) Download data automatically
- HTC 2 hour automatic update of the facebook data. Included in case you need to disable it (this runs independently from the above update timer).

2 - App & Web Shortcuts
ScreenShot76.jpg
ScreenShot81.jpg
ScreenShot83.jpg

Normal(1) Advanced(2&3)
Select Facebook Application
- Select which application is launched via Menu->Facebook App. Also selects which item to edit/delete in advanced mode.

Select Facebook Webpage:
- Select which webpage is launched via Menu->Facebook Online. Also selects which item to edit/delete in advanced mode.

(A) Delete Selected Application/Webpage
- removes the selected item from the list

(A) Edit Selected Application/Webpage
- Opens up the edit page for the current item (see below)

(A) Add New Application/Webpage
- Opens up the add new item page (see below)

ScreenShot82.jpg
ScreenShot84.jpg

Edit/Add Application(1) Edit/Add Webpage(2)

(A) Add/Edit Application/Webpage
(A) Display Name
- sets the name to use in setting page to refer to the application/webpage

(A) Shortcut
- the url/file path can be edited here directly.

(A) Browse to path (applications only)
- Opens the select file page to allow you to browse to and select the required exe.
Note: When you have selected the exe file by pressing it, "Select" will appear as the bottom right soft-key. You can "Select" the exe or "Cancel" if you wish.

(A) Additional arguments
- Some applications/pages may support additional arguments, which can be added here.

3 - Facebook Api Settings
ScreenShot77.jpg
ScreenShot86.jpg

Normal (Internal Authorisation Method)(1) Normal (External Authorisation Method)(2)
Note: Unlike the other settings pages, changes made the authorisation key are saved directly to the registry.

The authorisation here is only for the new functionality of the tab, in order to populate the friends list and get status updates you will still need to authorise the "HTC Sense" application via the Setting Tab -> Data Services.

If you do not wish to use the new functionality and the "HTC FbTab" application, then check the "Disable prompt for authorisation []" checkbox to avoid being asked to authorise the application. You will not be able to post updates via the tab without authorising first.

Due to issues with the authorisation methods with facebook, two options are provided to ensure this application will work with as many people as possible.

Option 1:
Use internal authorisation
- This uses an internal browser to display the authorisation page from facebook and allows you to login and authorise the application permissions. This should be the simplest method for most users, press Authorise and follow the prompts to authorise the HTC FbTab used for posting status messages directly from the tab.
Don't forget you will need to be connected to the internet and be able to access the facebook website from your connection.

Option 2:
Use external authorisation (Use default browser & paste code)
- On some devices the internal browser fails to work correctly, hence this method will launch your default browser (i.e. Opera) and navigate directly to facebook to authorise the "HTC FbTab" application.
Don't forget you will need to be connected to the internet and be able to access the facebook website from your connection.
1. You should login and authorise the application permissions.
2. Once you have authorised the application, you then need to Copy the url (either the whole thing or the part including "code=...", as long as you have at least the "code=..." to the end it will work). In Opera you can do this by pressing and holding on the url (if unselected it will default to copying the whole url).
3. Once you have copied the code into the clipboard, return to the settings page and press "Paste & Authorise".
The settings page will then use the code and authorise the application.

Remove Authorisation:
- This will remove the authorisation from the registry.
Note: If you want to fully remove the authorisation you will need to remove it directly from the your facebook account settings, via the Application Settings page.

ScreenShot85.jpg
ScreenShot87.jpg

Advanced (Internal Authorisation Method)(1) Advanced (External Authorisation Method)(2)
(A) Advanced Api settings (applies to both methods):
Note: These settings will default back to the original settings when the settings page is closed. This ensures the best settings are selected each time, unless the user specifically desires otherwise.
(A) Select authorisation page format
- Determines the format of the page facebook provides for authorisation. At times some pages may not be available, also some work better with the internal browser than others. You should only need to change this if you have a problem.
(A) Application Permissions
- Allows you to enable/disable the permissions you allow the "HTC FbTab" application to have. All are set to enable, since you will probably want to give the app permissions, but I want to provide the choice.
(A) Status Update
- Clearly you will need this if you wish to post updates from the tab.
(A) Offline Access
- Without this the permission will only last until you log out of facebook. Unlikely you would want to disable this option.
(A) Read Feeds
- This permission is not currently used by the application, however, it will be in later releases so if left enabled you can keep your current authorisation for later releases.

4 - File Path Settings
ScreenShot78.jpg
ScreenShot88.jpg
ScreenShot89.jpg

Normal(1) Advanced(2&3)
Hide facebook events
- Disables events being shown on the facebook tab.
Note: Events for the current day are still shown.

Event Notice Period (days)
- Specify the number of days before an event is due to occur before it is displayed on the tab.

Facebook Utility:
- In normal mode, this is read-only (Advanced mode you can edit it directly). If the stored path does not match the location of the FacebookUtil.exe, then a button shall be displayed to update it. If this is not set correctly, the tab will not open the settings pages or status update pages correctly, so it is important if you move FacebookUtil.exe, you run it from it's new location and update this item.

(A) Location of facebook profile pictures:
- For info only, this is a fixed location defined by the HTC dll.

(A) Location of facebook albums:
- Defines where the pictures are stored when you view people's facebook albums via the HTC tab's subpage "Updated Album" or "Open Online Album" links.
(A) Browse to path:
- Allows you to browse to a specific path to update the above location. "Select" appears when you are able to select the current folder.

(A) My Status Transfer Method
(A) Use Facebook Utility
- Allows you to define which method is used to copy the registry item which holds your most recent status update. You should only need to change this if you experience problems or slow response on the tab (this is less important on v1.6 since this is not run as often).
(A) Browse to path:
- Allows you to browse to a specific path to update the above location. "Select" appears when you are able to select the current exe.
(A) Additional arguments
- If required for the selected method.

eg.
Using Mortscript
App: \Windows\mortscript.exe
Argument: \Windows\FacebookStatusScript.mscr

Using FacebookStatusUpdate.exe
App: \Windows\FacebookStatusUpdate.exe
Argument: blank

(A) MS Facebook Application
(A) Cache location
- Allows you to change where the MS facebook application caches it's data
(A) Days to clear Cache:
- Number of days before MS facebook application the cache is cleared. (Limit 1-99 days).

5 - Advanced
ScreenShot79.jpg

Enable Advanced Settings
- Allows (A) advanced settings to be seen.
Note: Any changes to any Advanced settings may cause issues with the operation of the tab if done incorrectly, so make sure you understand the purpose of these settings before you change them. They are marked as Advanced settings for a reason!

Language Setting
Note:
The language settings here are independent of your language settings for sense itself.

Use device language
- The settings page will detect the devices language and use the correct language file if present. Otherwise it will default to UK English.

Application language setting:
- You can select a different language for the settings pages here. You will need to ensure you have the correct language file within your windows folder, otherwise the selection will be rejected.
If the file is reported as invalid, then there is probably an error in the xml formatting (you can double check the file by naming it .xml and opening via internet explorer).

About
picture.php

Pressing on the xdadev meltwater's fbTab graphic will take you to directly this thread, so you can get support or make a donation!

Pressing on the Sense SDK graphic will show you more information about eboelzner's excellent Sense SDK used by this application.

FAQ
When I scroll to the tab, sense freezes and it is un-usable
It seems there are two versions of the facebook engine and the older one (used by 2.5.192x and some other ROMs) the 0DE73B01_manila file is smaller (~41k) than the newer version (~47k).
If you have the older version (small file), then you must use the 192x version of the tab or the tab will be un-usable and crash sense (see the FAQ It doesn't work for Manila 192X? below).

Tab freezes on 1st update and is unstable
I've found this sometimes occurs if you have restored your contacts after flashing a ROM (so you have lots of links which need updating all at once), although it may only occur on some ROMs [however I've found the people tab has the same problem, so it related to the HTC built in functions].
Ideally:
  • Setup the HTC facebook link and perform the 1st update without your contacts restored.
Otherwise:
  • Remove the links (via the contact card in the people tab)
  • Perform the update (from within the People Updates tab might also help)
  • After update has finished, it'll probably list the contact matches it finds again (don't forget to manually link any you linked manually before)
  • This way the when the links are re-added info like the contact pictures etc are already downloaded (done during the link process) and the process probably uses less resources.
  • From that point on, it is improved.

Menu item X does not work (i.e Settings)
Make sure you run "FacebookUtil.exe" from where-ever you installed it and update the "Facebook Utility Path" as described in the manual install sections.

Launch App/Web does not work (i.e. I get a Certificate error)
Make sure you have the application installed and the link is correct. Use the advanced (A) settings within the "File Path Settings" section of the settings page.

Updates were working, but have since stopped, how to do I get them working again?
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9688442&postcount=1375
(Thanks to Yusuke14 for confirming this solution)

1. Remove the registry keys located in:
HKLM\Software\HTC\HTCAccountManager\Facebook**** keys.
2. Via Settings tab on Sense, within the Data Services option, re-enter your facebook info

I can't see any updates from my friends!
  1. You can create blank contacts with the facebook names as the contact name without a phone number or anything and it should still pick up and prompt for the links automatically.
  2. You can even link any contact manually to a particular facebook contact via "Edit Contact" -> Facebook Link (Associate with Facebook Account) at the bottom bit of the contact editor.
  3. Also you will need to sign into facebook via HTC first, before any contacts will be linked, it should prompt you to do this if you haven't already when you refresh (i.e. via People Page, Updates&Events page or your settings tab Data Services).
  4. Remember though, if the person has privacy settings set high within their facebook account, you may not see updates from them (this is a limit of the HTC code).
  5. It appears the HTC updates only go back so far in time so really old updates don't appear and it does not support non-text updates either (so url links etc are not shown).
Other User tips:
skyli91: You can link facebook to someone pretty fast if you go to Updates and Events in his/her Details page and here, the phone suggests some FB friends from the contact's name.
Agent Zach: You could link all of your contacts manually if the tab isn't giving you the option to do so.
Contacts Tab > All People > [Pick a Contact] > Edit Contact > Link
And if you want to Update the Status', etc.. the HTC way (outside of the Facebook Tab), in your contacts list, slide over to Updates & Events, click Menu, and click "Update Now".

It doesn't work for Manila 192X & some versions of sense?
There are two versions of the files which drive this tab, the tab is based on the later one. So if the tab does not work after you install it you may have the older version...
- Locate 0de73b01_manila in your windows folder.
IF the filesize is around 41Kb then you have the older 192x files and you require the patch.
IF the filesize is around 47Kb then you have the newer 2010 files and you do NOT require the patch (your problem is somewhere else).

DO NOT INSTALL THE PATCH IF YOUR FILE VERSION IS NOT CORRECT
To install the patch follow instructions in the install post#3 below.

Why is the install so complicated?
The install is complicated since the tab control file contains references to each available tab on your device. Every ROM has a different combination of tabs available and so this file is different for each ROM. If you install a copy of the Tab Control file which includes tabs which aren't on your device, manila will not work, if you install one which doesn't include all the tabs on your device, those tabs won't be available any more.

Many many people have managed to install the tab, through various ways, so there are plenty of people here who will help you out. Obviously make sure you have plenty of time available, just in case. Please keep backups of your tab control file (26948339_manila) as this will help you if you run into trouble.

Can we cook this in a ROM?
Yes, files will hopefully be provided for that within the thread (and I am happy for it to be included).
If you don't know what to do with EXT files (like me) then don't use them!
See the original poster for latest info:
b16b's [Facebook Tab v1.6 EXT]
File attached to this post too.

birkoffsjunk's Alternative:
birkoffsjunk [FacebookTab1.6.7z]

Attachments

• FacebookStatusUpdate.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,291
  • FacebookStatusScript.zip
    288 bytes · Views: 791
  • X_Faceboo_Tab_1.5_v2_fixed.rar
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,533
  • 192xFbTabPatchRelease23Aug2010.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,205
Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Install

Problems with sense not starting, try using SenseUtil to add/remove the tab without manually editing the tab control file.

Moved to this post (from 1st post):
Manual Install v1.6 05Aug2010.zip [v1.6Release05Aug2010.zip (3.25 MB, 9095 views)]

Sections within this post:
Please ensure you follow the instructions from the correct section.

Dual Cab Install (using SenseUtil) Instructions:
  • Dual Cab Install/Un-Install using Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip]
  • Dual Cab Un-Install using Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip]
  • Dual Cab Upgrade using Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip]
  • FAQ: My ROM shows double tab icons when selected

Note:
The following instructions are for the other install methods, it is hoped that the Easy Cab Install should work for everyone. If that is shown to be the case then the other methods will be removed.

Captain Throwback's Cab Install Instructions:
  • Captain Throwback's Cab Install
  • Captain Throwback's Cab Un-Install

Sense 2.5.19XX Instructions:
Use v1.6 Manual 192x Patch Install Instructions below.

Manual Install/Un-install Instructions:
  • v1.6 Manual New Install Instructions
    - Follow these instructions to manually install the tab on sense 2.5 (but not including sense version 2.5.19xx) which does not already have the facebook tab.
  • v1.6 Manual 192x Patch Install Instructions
    - Follow these instructions to manually apply the patch to the install for 192x based systems (follow check to ensure which version you have)
  • v1.6 Manual Upgrade v1.5 Instructions
    - Follow these instructions to manually upgrade the existing v1.5 facebook tab to the current version
  • v1.6 Manual Upgrade v1.0 Instructions
    - Follow these instructions to manually upgrade the existing v1.0 facebook tab to the current version (again this does not include sense version 2.5.19xx).
  • v1.6 (& v1.5) Manual Un-install Instructions
    - Follow these instructions to manually remove the facebook tab from sense.

Problems?
  • Manila Sense Fix - Sense is not starting after install/uninstall
  • Reset Manila Sense - Sense didn't regenerate correctly
  • Cooking issue - Exception when running facebook.exe for the 1st time
  • Missing menu items after upgrade

Please note:
If you are editing the tab control file (26948339_manila) or language files, it is recommended you use an editor which supports the following format:
Line Endings:Unix(LF)
Encoding:UTF-16 Little Endian
Editors such as Programmers Notepad and Notepad2 appear to work well.

Dual Cab Install (using SenseUtil) Instructions:
- Standard Cab for SenseUtil and a Cab for the Tab files (placed together in a single zip file).
Remember: Backup your device and data before attempting this mod. Post if you have any problems.
Dual Cab Install using Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip]
INSTALL:
a) Install both Cabs, in no particular order.
b) Run SenseUtil from Start Menu\SenseUtil\AddTab\SenseUtil FbTab Add to Add the FbTab to Sense.

Dual Cab Un-Install using Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip]
UNINSTALL:
a) Run SenseUtil from Start Menu\SenseUtil\RemoveTab\SenseUtil FbTab Remove to Remove the FbTab from Sense.
b) You can now uninstall the FbTab cab, and if desired, the SenseUtil cab too.
Note: As the references in sense have been removed, the files will have no effect on sense anymore.
c) The remaining registry entries can also be manually removed from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila all of which will start with "Facebook.".

Dual Cab Upgrade using Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip]
UPGRADING (note there is nothing different to v1.6):
If you already have the tab installed, then you can use either cab package, however instead of Adding the tab, you will need to "Reset Sense" - Del ManilaFull.xml either from SenseUtil or manually (stop sense, delete the file from windows and restart sense).

FAQ: My ROM shows double tab icons when selected (typically applies to NRG ROMs)
A: Delete or rename 1F04C842_manila in windows, this file is not required for your ROM. You will then need to "Reset Sense".

B]Latest version of Sense Util is available here

Captain Throwback's Cab Install Instructions:
Captain Throwback's Cab Install
  1. Disable Sense from Today items.
  2. Install CAB [Attached to post#1 - meltwater HTC FbTab v1.6.cab] (this will create a shortcut to "FixStartManila" in your Start Menu)
  3. Tap "FixStartManila" to run it. It will likely seem like nothing happened.
  4. Tap "FixStartManila" a second time. This time, you will likely see the wait cursor, which will stay for 10 seconds or so.
  5. Re-enable Sense in Today items.
  6. Done!
  7. Please make sure you follow the instructions for the cab, and particularly if you uninstall (there are extra steps need afterwards compared to a normal cab).

Captain Throwback's Cab Un-Install
To Uninstall:
  1. Disable Sense
  2. uninstall the CAB
  3. run "T-Back Remove Facebook Tab.cab" (Attached to this post) to restore Sense to it's original state (either that ,or you can download FixStartManila from the GPS Tab thread see Manila Sense Fix section below)
  4. When you re-enable Sense, you should be without FB tab (note that if you've installed other tabs since flashing your ROM, they will not show up using my CAB - in that case, I recommend MoonNah's CAB).

Manual Install/Un-install Instructions:
v1.6 Manual New Install Instructions
Warnings etc
Modifying manila means various levels of messing around with the files on the device so, as with most of the mods on here, back-up often and be prepared to screw it up and hard-reset your device. All the changes explained here may or may-not work on your particular device/version of manila or perhaps it's just not going to happen today.

ONLY USE THIS METHOD IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TAB ALREADY INSTALLED.

If you do not have the tab installed then you shall need to ensure the tab control file is updated correctly to allow sense to include it.
  1. Download the manual install package from post #1.
  2. Disable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items.
  3. Delete "\\windows\manilaFull.xml" on your device (don't worry this is regenerated when manila restarts).
  4. Extract the files from the folder "TabFiles\Windows\" to the windows directory on your device. Plus ensure you copy "Facebook_Pages.xml" to "\Windows\ManilaXml".
  5. Update your tab control file (26948339_manila) from \Windows folder:
    The files may be hidden system files (may need to enable viewing of system hidden files to find them). Keep an original copy of your 26948339_manila file (i.e copy as 26948339_manila_backup).
    Scott8813's tutorial show's the steps required to edit the tab control file in more detail if you are unsure on this (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6004802&postcount=216)
    Edit your tab control file (26948339_manila) from your \windows\ directory (you can use the example in the zip file \tabcontrol\ as a guide, use a UTF-16 Compatible Editor such as Notepad2 or Programmers Notepad.
    a) Insert the following text, between the other "pages" defined, replacing the X with suitable number (re-numbering the others as required to avoid duplicated numbers):

Code:
    <Page Order="X" Name="facebook.page" PackageName="HTC" Title="[[Facebook]]">
    	<ComponentReference Name="page" Mode9Path="HTC\People\facebook.mode9" Component="SummaryAllPage" SmartComponent="true"/>
    	<ComponentReference Name="icon_normal" Mode9Path="HTC\Manila\Facebookicon.mode9" Component="Facebook_Off"/>
    	<ComponentReference Name="icon_selected" Mode9Path="HTC\Manila\Facebookicon.mode9" Component="Facebook_On"/>
    	<ComponentReference Name="icon_preview" Mode9Path="HTC\Manila\Facebookicon.mode9" Component="Facebook_Preview"/>
    </Page>
    b) Copy back completed file to your device \windows\ directory
  6. Delete the configuration reg-key HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila\Configuration (this resets the tab list and allows the new tab to be included in the tab re-ordering page of the settings tab - the keys only re-generate when you go back to that tab re-ordering page)
  7. Import the registry entries from appFacebook.reg file into your devices registry.
    Note: You may need adjust the default path settings for the example application links etc to match the applications you have installed and their locations.
  8. Extract the "FacebookUtil" folder to "Program Files\FacebookUtil" (I would recommend on your device rather than storage card).
  9. Run "FacebookUtil.exe", from where you've copied it to and Update the Facebook Utility's "Stored Path to Current" within the "File Path Settings" page, and "Apply" the change.
    ScreenShot100.jpg
  10. Re-enable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items (it will take a little longer than normal to re-start the 1st time).
  11. Enjoy. (Don't forget to authorise to allow Updating of your status).

v1.6 Manual 192x Patch Install Instructions
There are two versions of the files which drive this tab, the tab is based on the later one. So if the tab does not work after you install it you may have the older version...

Check the version of the files you have:
- Locate 0de73b01_manila in your windows folder.
IF the filesize is around 41Kb then you have the older 192x files and you require the patch.
IF the filesize is around 47Kb then you have the newer 2010 files and you do NOT require the patch (your problem is somewhere else).

DO NOT INSTALL THE PATCH IF YOUR FILE VERSION IS NOT CORRECT

Patch the install:
  1. Install the tab as normal (see above - via cab or manually).
  2. Download the attached zip file:
    192xFbTabPatchRelease
  3. Disable sense
  4. Replace the 090EF4F3_manila in the windows/ folder with the one in the zip file.
  5. Replace the Facebook_Pages.xml in windows/ManilaXml/ folder with the one in the zip file [note this file is universal so later releases will include the updated version of this file already].
  6. Delete manilafull.xml from the windows/ folder.
  7. Restart sense.

To un-install follow the same instructions as for v1.6 normal installation.
Note:
Not all the functions of the normal tab are available in this version (i.e. Expand/Collapse View has been removed).

v1.6 Manual Upgrade v1.5 Instructions
Warnings etc

ONLY USE THIS METHOD IF YOU HAVE THE TAB ALREADY RUNNING WITHOUT PROBLEMS.

With the previous facebook tab working and running properly, updating to the new version can be achieved by following these instructions:
  1. Disable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items.
  2. Replace the following files:

Lang Files(\windows\):
    1FED11F0_manila
    3abb2ec0_manila
    781C9850_manila

Script Files(\windows\):
    090EF4F3_manila
    33A980DD_manila

FacebookUtil Application (\Program Files\FacebookUtil\):
    FacebookUtil.exe
  3. Update reg entry/setting for Desktop Online Link:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
    "Facebook.LaunchWeb2"="www.facebook.com/home.php?m2w"
  4. Delete "\\windows\manilaFull.xml" on your device (don't worry this is regenerated when manila restarts).
  5. Re-enable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items (it will take a little longer than normal to re-start the 1st time).

v1.6 Manual Upgrade v1.0 Instructions
Warnings etc

ONLY USE THIS METHOD IF YOU HAVE THE TAB ALREADY RUNNING WITHOUT PROBLEMS.

With the previous facebook tab working and running properly, updating to the new version can be achieved by following these instructions:
  1. Download the manual install package from post #1.
  2. Disable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items.
  3. Extract the files from the folder "TabFiles\Windows\" to the windows directory on your device. Plus ensure you copy "Facebook_Pages.xml" to "\Windows\ManilaXml".
  4. Delete "\\windows\manilaFull.xml" on your device (don't worry this is regenerated when manila restarts).
  5. Extract the "FacebookUtil" folder to "Program Files\FacebookUtil" (I would recommend on your device rather than storage card).
  6. Run "FacebookUtil.exe", from where you've copied it to and Update the Facebook Utility's "Stored Path to Current" within the "File Path Settings" page, and "Apply" the change.
    ScreenShot100.jpg
  7. Re-enable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items (it will take a little longer than normal to re-start the 1st time).
  8. Enjoy. (Don't forget to authorise to allow Updating of your status).

v1.6 (& v1.5) Manual Un-Install Instructions
Warnings etc

The easiest and safest option is to simply disable the tab via Settings, Home Screen Tabs. This will stop the tab being run and will have no further impact on sense.
In order to remove all the facebook tab related stuff you will need to follow all the steps:
  2. Edit your tab control file to remove the following section of code (be sure to renumber the items). Or simply replace the tab control file (26948339_manila) with the backup you made before you installed the tab.
    Code:
    <Page Order="X" Name="facebook.page" PackageName="HTC" Title="[[Facebook]]">
    	<ComponentReference Name="page" Mode9Path="HTC\People\facebook.mode9" Component="SummaryAllPage" SmartComponent="true"/>
    	<ComponentReference Name="icon_normal" Mode9Path="HTC\Manila\Facebookicon.mode9" Component="Facebook_Off"/>
    	<ComponentReference Name="icon_selected" Mode9Path="HTC\Manila\Facebookicon.mode9" Component="Facebook_On"/>
    	<ComponentReference Name="icon_preview" Mode9Path="HTC\Manila\Facebookicon.mode9" Component="Facebook_Preview"/>
    </Page>
  3. Delete "\\windows\manilaFull.xml" on your device (don't worry this is regenerated when manila restarts).
  4. Delete the configuration reg-key HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila\Configuration (this resets the tab list and allows the new tab to be included in the tab re-ordering page of the settings tab - the keys only re-generate when you go back to that tab re-ordering page)
  5. Delete the following files from "\\windows\":
    05FF1072_manila
    06C09C86_manila
    090EF4F3_manila
    1F04C842_manila
    33A980DD_manila
    4F90441E_manila
    51B6F88A_manila
    59B632C0_manila
    5D4F2200_manila
    6BEE887F_manila
    (Plus the language files you might have installed:
    0CA4B866_manila, 0FEAB434_manila, 1FED11F0_manila, 3abb2ec0_manila, 5E0EA458_manila, 6CD727C8_manila, 0074c4d4_manila, 0431A004_manila, 781C9850_manila, 5470CE36_manila, 35452D58_manila)
  6. Delete the following files from "\\windows\ManilaXml":
    Facebook_Pages.xml
  7. Delete the "FacebookUtil" directory from "\\Program Files\" or where-ever you installed it.
  8. Using a registry editor, you can safely delete the following entries (although they will do no real harm if left there):
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
    "Facebook.LaunchAppSel"
    "Facebook.LaunchAppNameXX"
    "Facebook.LaunchAppXX"
    "Facebook.LaunchAppArgsXX"
    "Facebook.LaunchWebSel"
    "Facebook.LaunchWebNameXX"
    "Facebook.LaunchWebXX"
    "Facebook.LaunchWebArgsXX"
    "Facebook.LastUpdateTime"
    "Facebook.LastUpdateDate"
    "Facebook.MyStatus"
    "Facebook.MyStatusExe"
    "Facebook.MyStatusScript"
    "Facebook.AutoUpdateInterval"
    "Facebook.AccessToken"
    "Facebook.AccessTokenPermission"
    "Facebook.ExpandView"
    "Facebook.FbApiExe"
    "Facebook.FileDialogLastPath"
    "Facebook.LangFile"
    Note: Some "Facebook.xxxxx" entries will remain (they are also used by the people update tab, so I would recommend you keep them).
  9. Re-enable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items (it will take a little longer than normal to re-start the 1st time).
  10. If sense does not start, double check your tab control file (26948339_manila) edit and perform steps 1, 3, 9 again. Otherwise, refer to "Manila Sense Fix" section below.

Problems?
Unable to authorise?
Facebook has altered the authorisation slightly, so manual paste method needs a little extra care (details here - Thanks to Nullstring).
Basically, facebook has added "#_=_" at the end, which you must remove for the app to extract the required authorisation code from the rest of the url.

Manila Sense Fix - Sense is not starting after install/uninstall
If you run into problems with Sense not starting then there are three things you can do.

• 1. Run moonnah's B_L_Group_FixStartManila_2.5.cab from the following thread (this should fix any problems with your tab control file):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=670116
    2. Delete the tab control file (26948339_manila) & "\\windows\manilaFull.xml" and restart your device. Sense will take a while to regenerate so please wait.
    3. Post your tab control file (26948339_manila) on the thread and we shall correct any problems and repost it.

Reset Manila Sense - Sense didn't regenerate correctly
  2. Delete "\\windows\manilaFull.xml" on your device (don't worry this is regenerated when manila restarts).
  3. Delete the configuration reg-key HKLM\Software\HTC\Manila\Configuration (this resets the tab list and allows the new tab to be included in the tab re-ordering page of the settings tab - the keys only re-generate when you go back to that tab re-ordering page)
  4. Re-enable sense, via the Settings\Home\Today items (it will take a little longer than normal to re-start the 1st time).

Cooking issue - Exception when running facebook.exe for the 1st time
This can occur if the ROM includes an older version of the senseSDK dlls than the ones used by the exe (v1.39) - typically CHTE.
Ensure you only have the latest versions of the following files (provided by with the tab):
sensesdk.resources.qvga.dll
sensesdk.resources.vga.dll
stedysoft.sensesdk.dll

Missing menu items after upgrade
Right-hand menu should include the following items:
NEW - Update Status
Facebook App
Facebook Online
NEW - Expand/Collapse View
Settings
If they aren't shown up, ensure you have followed the steps which reset Sense correctly (2,4 & 7 of Manual Upgrade Instructions).

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Language Files

Language Files

This release requires updated language files (mainly to support the settings pages).

Please note:
If you are editing the tab control file (26948339_manila) or language files, it is recommended you use an editor which supports the following format:
Editors such as Programmers Notepad and Notepad2 appear to work well.

To create a language file you need to determine the manila name (using ManilaHash.exe (part of the Manila kitchen package), file-names are listed below):

1. Make a copy of the original base file for your language, with the correct language manila filename.
2. Look at the Facebook tab specific files and add the new entries, with translations as you wish (Make sure you use UTF-16 Compatible Editor)
Sense requires the following file format:

3. Upload to this thread, and it will be added to the list.
[Note:The tab name "Facebook" is specified in the Tab Control file (26948339_manila), since it didn't appear to be set correctly via the language file, but can change it there if you wish.]

Facebook Language Files already created (v1.6 updated or available for V1.01 but now require updating):
Facebook..................PeopleUpdate.......LangCode
35452D58_manila.......7825aca6_manila en-gb (v1.6)
6CD727C8_manila.......035dc316_manila nl-nl (mike2nl v1.6)
3abb2ec0_manila.......2f75480e_manila fr-fr (romualdrichard v1.6RevB)
0CA4B866_manila.......367aeb34_manila cs-cz (jirkab v1.6)
0074C4D4_manila.......3d740322_manila it-it (etoy & Drakknar v1.6)
5470CE36_manila.......40d6f504_manila en-us (captain_throwback v1.6)
1FED11F0_manila.......441d773e_manila pt-pt (dotcompt v1.6)
781C9850_manila.......1c29959e_manila pt-br (dotcompt v1.6)
24a3de40_manila.......58a5d78e_manila es-es
0431A004_manila.......65252a52_manila de-de (BeeGee_Tokyo v1.6)
0FEAB434_manila.......6868ca82_manila el-gr (colossus_r v1.6)
44D8781A_manila.......730337e8_manila nb-no (agaPer v1.6 - Attached)
5E0EA458_manila.......7044e3a6_manila sk-sk (pa3x v1.6)
55D8F302_manila.......1367acd0_manila sv-se
1A673DD0_manila.......4e699b1e_manila pl-pl (Skrobel v1.6)
6A5D7454_manila.......66a492a2_manila hu-hu (zoliwr v1.6 draft - Attached)
7E83165A_manila.......14f76628_manila zh-tw (mudhi v1.6 - Attached)
4E2DE27C_manila.......5ddfcaca_manila ru-ru (Bumeranghc v1.6 - Attached)

Facebook Language Files still need creating:
Facebook.................PeopleUpdate LangCode
4A098364_manila.......0598e5b2_manila ro-ro
6729ABA8_manila.......5a90a336_manila es-es_tradnl
017A1F4A_manila.......2c2c2b18_manila ja-jp
46FB4326_manila.......38da25f4_manila zh-cn
79ABC8F8_manila.......3cc83046_manila tr-tr
7BAB7AC8_manila.......401ed616_manila da-dk
193074C2_manila.......57fd9e90_manila fi-fl
0F3D0AEE_manila.......6be21fbc_manila ko-kr
6D71ED18_manila.......6f505c66_manila ca-es
15EBBB0E_manila.......78d5d7dc_manila ar-sa

V1.01 Translations (many thanks)
German manila files (thanks bl4ckb1rd)
Spanish manila files (thanks Hubie)
French manila files (thanks Fredz)
Czech manila files (thanks jirkab)
Italian manila files (thanks etoy)
?Zh-Tw? manila files (thanks boa19861105)
?pt-pt? manila files (thanks dotcompt)
Norwegian manila files (thanks KaiserAndy)
Dutch manila files (thanks mike2nl)
Greek manila files (thanks colossus_r)

Language File Example (Lang.zip)
Just use the following file from your \windows\ folder:
441D773E_manila \windows\htc\people\locales\pt-pt\peopleupdate.pt-pt.xml
Then rename to:
1FED11F0_manila \windows\htc\people\locales\pt-pt\facebook.pt-pt.xml

Then add the entries (plus the extra ones for v1.6 - see attached en-gb file):
Code:
<trans-unit id="IDS_FACEBOOKTITLE">
	<source>Facebook</source>
</trans-unit>
<trans-unit id="IDS_FACEBOOK_OPENAPP">
	<source>Facebook App</source>
</trans-unit>	
<trans-unit id="IDS_FACEBOOK_OPENWEB">
	<source>Facebook Online</source>
</trans-unit>
Then copy back to your \windows\ folder (and post on this thread).

When people have performed translations, I'll post up the completed files here.
Note:
Completed language files will get included in any installs/updates where possible.
Currently included languages for v1.6:
(en-gb,en-us,nl-nl,fr-fr,de-de,pt-pt,pt-br,cs-cz,it-it,el-gr,sk-sk,sv-se)
+ no-nb & pl-pl & zh-tw & hu-hu & ru-ru

Currently included languages for v1.01:
(en-gb,en-us,de-de,pt-pt,es-es,fr-fr,cs-cz,it-it,zh-tw,no-nb)

Attachments

• 35452D58_manila_en-gb_v1.6.txt
    43.3 KB · Views: 105
  • v1.6_LanguagePack.zip
    57.1 KB · Views: 769
  • OldLangFiles_v1.01.zip
    41.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 44D8781A_manila_no-nb_v1.6.txt
    48.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 1a673dd0_manila_pl-pl_v1.6.txt
    44.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 6a5d7454_manila_hu-hu_v1.6.txt
    44.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 7E83165A_manila_zh-tw_v1.6.txt
    37.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 4E2DE27C_manila_ru-ru_v1.6.txt
    44.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

mkucuksari

May 11, 2008
Second Post from me :)

Many Thanks man :) I will try tonight and share my results.

Congratulations:)

rlatarche

Dec 13, 2007
Cambridge
Works on the NRG MM MAR 20 23548(9) - followed instructions to the letter (although you haven't explained when to transfer over the modified manila tab control file!)

Will keep you posted on any issues!

Thanks

jneilliii

Oct 29, 2007
This is my facebook tab, ...

To Do - if Possible
Read and understand the above information before asking for features, but this is what I still hope to do (again don't post asking for them if it's on this list!).
  1. Directly update own status
  2. Allow view of full status text, either bigger space, expand on selection or ticker tape
  3. Update settings page to include things set in registry (Auto Update time etc)
  4. Links to albums
  5. Replacement of mortscript with an exe file (with thanks to johncmolyneux)

This is a great idea, don't know why HTC decided to do their facebook integration the way they did and not treat Twitter the same way (using the people tab). Couldn't you hook into the data and functions of the facebook tab from HTC's interface and not require mortscript/external exe?

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
This is a great idea, don't know why HTC decided to do their facebook integration the way they did and not treat Twitter the same way (using the people tab). Couldn't you hook into the data and functions of the facebook tab from HTC's interface and not require mortscript/external exe?

It's a limitation of what is in manila, you can only read from "HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila", unless you are only after a int value.

All the script does (or exe), is the following:
Code:
RegReadString("HKLM", "Software\HTC\FacebookSDK","Status",myStoredStatus)
RegWriteString("HKCU","Software\HTC\Manila","Facebook.MyStatus",myStoredStatus)

Not all the facebook function is within the manila files, some appears to be within ContactEditor.exe which only takes two different arguments from the scripts to get to new/specific Contact Detail Pages, then its internal to the ContactEditor.exe from there (that appears to also include "Update My Status"! :eek:).

Not saying it can't be done, but it's a simple workaround to release it today.

Last edited:

ai6908

Nov 13, 2006
Land of Lincoln
Hmmmm for some reason, I cannot make this to work with my manila2.5_20121324 version...still playing with this...so we will see..thanks for your effort.:)

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Hmmmm for some reason, I cannot make this to work with my manila2.5_20121324 version...still playing with this...so we will see..thanks for your effort.:)
Ok, let me know what happens, I'm only 2.5.2012.1224, don't know what changes are in the people tab since then.

Last edited:

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Got it installed all ok, but when I go onto the tab it crashes and freezes sense, have to restrat to get control back, but if i go onto the tab again, does the same.
Ok will try to remember if/why it occurred for me during development, 1st thought is error in your tab control file. Perhaps post your ManilaFull.xml file after sense has loaded/generated it.
What version of sense are you running?

EDIT:Are reg settings imported?

Last edited:

mkucuksari

May 11, 2008
Working with "Manila 2.5 20121225.0_VGA_Amarullz :D

I have just started to play now. I will post more picture for other users within one hour, for sharing :)

But somehow, I can not able to see any items at the tab, just like you have at first picture. "Update now" Button seems to be not working properly.

Many Many Thanks Again :):)

Attachments

• Screen05_Befor_Updae.jpg
    Screen05_Befor_Updae.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,101

meltwater

Jan 28, 2009
Working with "Manila 2.5 20121225.0_VGA_Amarullz :D

I have just started to play now. I will post more picture for other users within one hour, for sharing :)

But somehow, I can not able to see any items at the tab, just like you have at first picture. "Update now" Button seems to be not working properly.

Many Many Thanks Again :):)

Have you got any people linked? You've got lots of status icons, I think the hand one is to link people.
Have a look in your people tab -> updates & events tab at the end (this is the source page!), if you don't have people in there you won't anywhere.
The "update now" button is just moved, from menu in the source page, so check it there.

EDIT: Thanks for the screen, appears to be ok for VGA devices too!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    picture.php

picture.php

Latest Info
    12Oct2011 - Facebook has altered the authorisation slightly, so manual paste method needs a little extra care (details here - Thanks to Nullstring).

(01June2011)Big RSSTab Development Announcement
    (3March2011) Dual (AKA Easy) Cab Install Released - meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs)-2.zip (See install post for instructions)

Moved to post#3 to avoid confusion:
    v1.6Release05Aug2010.zip (3.25 MB, 9095 views)
    (31Jan2011) Easy/Dual Cab Install Method Trial - Testing a new way to install and uninstall the FbTab.
    (meltwater_FbTabV1.6&SenseUtil.cab (603 views) meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs).zip (272 views))
    (4Dec2010) Introducing SenseUtil to assist with installation of any custom tab
    (27Sep2010) Lang files added (hu-hu - zoliwr, zh-tw - mudhi). Many thanks.
    (24Aug2010) New forum banner by Drakknar (thanks!)
    (23Aug2010) Sense 2.5.192x (& old sense) Patch released (allows most of the tab functions to be used on a 2.5.192x based device)
    (18Aug2010) TabProject2:Call for Developers
    (11Aug2010) Facebook Tab v1.6 Cab & EXT (post#2) released
    (05Aug2010) Updated Facebook Tab v1.6 released - GTX, Cabs & EXT will hopefully follow (v1.5 Cab kept to allow install and upgrade - use v1.6 cab)
    (31July2010) Drakknar's icons are now live on facebook!
    (22July2010) Request for FbTab Icon!
    (21July2010) Captain Throwback's Cab (meltwater HTC FbTab v1.5.cab) moved to post#1 (please follow instructions on post#3 for install and un-install)
    (20July2010) Tutorial/Files for changing Tab Text to Black (apaquette420 - see links below)
    (19July2010) pt-pt & pt-br lang file RevB - attached to post#4
    (16July2010) Fr-fr lang file RevB - attached to post#4
    (16July2010) Upgrade Cabs are available see (1st roundup of Q&A Support below)
    (15July2010) Releasing the v1.5 manual files now, let me know how you get on.

Please follow the install instructions very carefully & RTFM (read the fantastic manual) before asking Qs.

Note on development...
    I have a development version which I've been working on which can do a lot more with the facebook api, however it is far from complete or bug free, but it was able to post comments, read all the status updates/wall posts of all your friends etc etc. I was also playing around with different GUI aspects but I hit several limits with the Sense SDK I was using etc.

Anyway, basically I've not had any time to look at it for the last few months, and the best course of action is to scrap it and let the XdaFacebook App team use the ties I was planning to use to link the tab to an application. Hopefully I can get a few of my ideas and suggestions put into the app, so the vision I had for the tab can still be realised. Since I'm not using facebook that much at the moment, I think this is the best way for the tab to move forward and provide more for everyone.

Hopefully as my work on the RSSTab continues, the main core of the Facebook tab (the HTC engine) can be replaced by the XdaFacebook app, so all the data in the tab can be populated directly from the same source. Although this will be a while off, this will be the best solution in the end.

Donations
    PayPal: if you use the facebook tab and would like my work to continue
    I purposely did not include a donate button on the 1st release since although I had made several changes to the tab a lot of it was purely HTC functionality (and it would have been hard to understand what was my own work and what HTC have already included).
    I did not feel it was fair to ask for donations where my own work on it was not clear.

However, since the 1st release I have been working very hard on this project, I have spent many hours/days/weeks testing and experimenting with the facebook api and with ensuring that the new additions will work not only on my device but will function for everyone (believe me it's a frustrating task).

So if you like using the tab (or if I've helped you get it working), and if you feel my work deserves it then please make a small donation, even if it's a few cents (even a tiny bit shows your appreciation).

Any donations will be spent on things to help me focus on developing the tab further, first up is a new battery (only $15!) as my phone has suffered from the many resets it has taken to test the sense code so far, so I really need to get a backup one. Hopefully that isn't a huge ask.

New phone battery is on it's way, many thanks to the total of 3 detonator so far. Next up, although I'm not confident on this one, is a battery for my laptop so I can program without being tethered to a power socket (and losing my work when it disconnects - have about 10 seconds before it dies). Again, I plan to get it from a cheep place so it's not too expensive, just something which only needed for this hobby.

It all shows that my work means something.

Information on the facebook api
    When I started looking into the facebook api (something I said I wouldn't do I know) I discovered "Facebook Developer Toolkit", excellent I thought, my work is done, plug it in and away we go.

However, investigating further Microsoft had taken over the toolkit, the compact framework (as used by Windows Mobile) had been dropped (since Jan 14 2008) and they are only just building SilverLight support into it (windows phone 7). Add to that, facebook have introduced the GraphApi which replaces the Api implemented in the Jan 2008 build (and I don't think it's in the current Tookkit yet).

You might guess the next bit, after a lot of work, I have the outline of my own Fb Graph Api support. The next release shall be the foundation point of this work, if successful the remainder of my test code can be built in (but I didn't want to delay things any longer and I needed to see if it works on-mass first).

It has taken a lot to get it to this point - my only other windows mobile app was "Hello Worlde" so once again I have been starting from scratch and learning A LOT:
    I hope you enjoy my hard work.

This release is to bring the general release up to speed with my current work, it may not appear to be significant in added functionality but believe me it is the stepping stone required for what comes next...

Information on the tab.
    The origins of the facebook tab is the relocation of the HTC People Update's tab which is built into sense already. The mod originally moved this functionality into the main tabs and added a few extra features, therefore enabling everyone to enjoy the built in facebook functionality without hunting to find it, but also enjoy the excellent features HTC had already integrated.

Since then, I've been working hard to extend the features which the tab provides, improve the options for how things are displayed and allow easy configuration. Overtime, more features will be included and hopefully support for external apps perhaps.

Please don't badger for specific facebook features, I'm well aware I can't do comments, pokes, likes, notifications etc etc, but the current release is a huge step toward that and hopefully it will come in time.

To Do
    1. 192X version See patch in post below
    2. Stage 2 of Facebook Api
      [*]Use extra space at top of landscape mode
    3. Include sense language selection HKCU\MUI\CurLang
    4. Handle senseSDK version exception
      [*]Support non-standard chars on Status Update post to facebook
      [*]Remove item list scroll lag

Development Progress
    [MOD][SENSE2.5TAB] Facebook Tab - Developer Thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=663494
    Note:
    The development work is on going and I will release the next version when there is something essential and must-have implemented.
    I would rather spend time developing new features than releasing tiny updates of little significance.

Known Issues
    Will not work on manila 2.5.1921xxxx or lower (and some ROMs) - use 192x Install Patch (see Install post#3)!
    If you have the older version (small file), then you must use the 192x version of the tab or the tab will be un-usable and crash sense.

Info for cooks
    See section "Can we cook this in a ROM?" in post #2 for EXT file etc.

Change History
    23 Aug 2010 Sense 2.5.192x (& old sense) Patch released (MattOG testing)
    11 Aug 2010 v1.6 Cab Release (captain_throwback & qitt)
    05 Aug 2010 v1.6 Release
    21 July 2010 v1.5 Cab Release (1032+250 views) +706 for v1.6 update (captain_throwback)
    15 July 2010 v1.5 Release (1881 views) + GTXSkin (361+183 views) (mike2nl)
    -(see user manual for update details) included lang files
    (en-gb,en-us,nl-nl,fr-fr,de-de,pt-pt,pt-br,cs-cz,it-it,el-gr,sk-sk)
    15 April 2010 v1.01 ReleaseD (2815 views) + All-In-One Cab (7762 views)
    - Joint fixes for icon issues (etoy & qitt), included lang files
    (en-gb,en-us,de-de,pt-pt,es-es,fr-fr,cs-cz,it-it,zh-tw,no-no)
    12 April 2010 v1.0 All-In-One Cab Release Cab (353+71 views)
    - Joint work from johncmolyneux & Captain_Throwback
    24 March 2010 v1.0 ReleaseC (5185 views)+Cab(1084 views)
    - switch over to use FacebookStatusUpdate.exe instead of mortscript
    - updated manila so "Facebook.MyStatusScript" can be left blank and still run Facebook.MyStatusExe
    (if using older release just leave the entry, it will be ignored - otherwise it'll skip copy of my status)
    - updated Readme
    - reg file no longer system hidden
    FacebookStatusUpdate.zip (234 views)
    - exe available to replace mortscript! (thanks to johncmolyneux) - see install instructs for details (will repack later)
    23 March 2010 V1.0 ReleaseB (494 views)
    - Changed default facebook app to MS Facebook App
    - Updated Readme
    23 March 2010 V1.0 Release
    - First release

NEWS
    POCKETNOW.COM Facebook Tab Released for HTC Sense 2.5
    http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/facebook-tab-released-for-htc-sense-25
    POCKETNOW.COM Video: Facebook Tab for HTC Sense
    [/SIZE]http://pocketnow.com/softwar...cketnow+(pocketnow.com)&utm_content=Google+UK

Finally the tab for htc FACEBOOK Sense 2.5 is just beginning (Italian)
    http://htc.hdblog.it/2010/03/24/finalmente-il-tab-facebook-per-htc-sense-2-5-muove-i-primi-passi/

I'm well proud! Thanks!

Thanks To
    Sense 2.5.192x Patch Testing MattOG
    v1.5 Beta Testers Agent Zach, Captain_Throwback, johncmolyneux, mike2nl, mkucuksari,electrikjesus, madindehead, Quitt, sternas, wez89
    Sense SDK support eboelzner (+greenhacks & others on the thread)
    Language Translations -see post #4 for details

BeeGee_Tokyo & maxycy (v1.5 maxSense fix)
    Captain_Throwback (cab's etc)
    johncmolyneux (FacebookStatusUpdate.exe, All-In-One exe, coding support)
    etoy & qitt (Icon fixes)
    MoonNah (for use of ManilaStartFix used in cabs)
    Co0kieMonster
    utopykzebulon
    Everyone behind the kitchen (without which I would have got no-where):
    12aon, 6fg8, chainfire, sztupy, Co0kieMonster etc
    People who provided language files.

Also thanks for all the words of encouragement, patience and praise.

Thanks to Donators:
    Laurentius26 - 12April2011
    unknown - 16Dec2010
    MattOG - 13Aug2010
    weepatc - 11Aug2010
    sharkie405
    beegee_tokyo
    Agent Zach

Warnings etc

______

Latest WVGA Screens

Latest VGA Screens

______

Thread Quicklinks:
    RTFM - Read The Fantastic Manual & FAQ [Post#2]
    Install Instructions [Post#3]
    Language Files [Post#4]

v1.6 Release - Support for this release starts here [Post#1002+]
    v1.5 Release - 1st roundup of Q&A Support [Post#829] Please read before posting similar Qs
    v1.5 Release - Support for this release starts here [Post#771+]

Thread Tips/Guides:
    (apaquette420) Change Tab Text To Black Tutorial & Files

See Sense FbTab Install Post for install instructions (must read before installing).
    picture.php
    New Install Method...

Test - Easy Cab Install

As a result of the work I've been doing on the SenseUtil and the RSSTab, I can now provide an (hopefully) improved install method.

Warnings etc

The facebook tab package included is based purely on the files released 05Aug2010, there are NO changes or updates (except to include the current language files).

1. Combo Cab [meltwater_FbTabV1.6&SenseUtil.cab]
    - Contains senseUtil and the Tab files.

INSTALL:
    a) Install the cab - This will install SenseUtil to \windows\SenseUtil and the FbTab files.
    b) Run SenseUtil from Start Menu\SenseUtil\AddTab\SenseUtil FbTab Add to Add the FbTab to Sense.
    UNINSTALL:
    NOTE:
    You must remove the FbTab from sense before UNINSTALLING the cab

a) Run SenseUtil from Start Menu\SenseUtil\RemoveTab\SenseUtil FbTab Remove to Remove the FbTab from Sense.
    b) You can now uninstall the cab if required (removing both the FbTab files and SenseUtil).
    Note: As the references in sense have been removed, the files will have no effect on sense anymore.
    c) The remaining registry entries can also be manually removed from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila all of which will start with "Facebook.".
    Important: If you forget to remove the FbTab using SenseUtil before you uninstall the cab, sense WILL fail to start. To correct this, re-install SenseUtil and remove the tab correctly.

2. Separate Cabs [meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs).zip]
    - Standard Cab for SenseUtil and a Cab for the Tab files (placed together in a single zip file).

INSTALL:
    a) Install both Cabs, in no particular order.
    UNINSTALL:
    b) You can now uninstall the FbTab cab, and if desired, the SenseUtil cab too.

UPGRADING (note there is nothing different to v1.6):
    If you already have the tab installed, then you can use either cab package, however instead of Adding the tab, you will need to "Reset Sense" - Del ManilaFull.xml either from SenseUtil or manually (stop sense, delete the file from windows and restart sense).

FAQ:
    Q: My ROM shows double tab icons when selected (typically applies to NRG ROMs)?

A: Delete or rename 1F04C842_manila in windows, this file is not required for your ROM.

If these cabs work ok, I will move them to the 1st post and I will also revise the install instructions. Also I will provide a simple cab for the (+192xPatch as well).

I shall also be testing the cab files, and will update this post if I need to make further changes. Please let me know if you get problems.
    meltwater_FbTabV1.6&SenseUtil.cab (603 views)
    meltwater_FbTabV1.6(SeperateCabs).zip (272 views)

Latest version of Sense Util is available here

UPDATE 3rd March2011:
    The cabs on this post have now been removed since SenseUtil has been updated.
    I've also dis-continued the combo cab since it is easier to manage updates (when SenseUtil changes I don't need to change the other cab and vice versa).
    Thank you for testing out the cabs! The latest cab zip file is located on the 1st post.
    You are right however I dont agree on the "Android is same" part. Android is resource killer. It need hardware of a PC to run mobile. 8 core CPU + 2 gb RAM was a the best PC configuration few years back (even no 8 core). Android is just pushing us to demand more without any actual need. Same I was doing with WinMo (quality games and productivity) in just 460 mzh processor and even without worrying about lag or hang.
    I fail to see what that has to do with the Meltwater's Facebook tab. Number 2, why do you feel the need to enlarge the font? If you've read any of the thread at all then you would see that meltwater always answers all questions in a timely fashion. Which brings us back to my first comment... You question has nothing to do with his Facebook Tab. Have you tried a google search? Not to mention that, if in fact you do find the right place to post your question, you will need to include some info. about your device in order that others may help you. :)
    Hi meltwater !!

Do you have any news ?
    Latest news is here...RSSTab Beta Countdown To-do List!
    Oh and I've finished the bathroom floor... :D

I guess that's not really the news you are after, though, sorry but that's it so far.

Hello Meltwater!
    I try to find the fix to my problem, in the tread but no luck....i folow the steps with the instructions from the tread....but when i try to update status, is give me this message: "\Windows\FaceboockStatusScript.mscr not found, waiting for existance (storage card not initialized)". Don't know what to do more, i'm running EnergyRom 21916/12.feb.2011 WWE. Thank you in advance!

Ok, sounds like you have it set to use mortscript to fetch your status and for some reason it is not installed, I hope NRG hasn't set that as default (it's not on the Feb19 one I'm using at least).

The sections you need to look at is in the manual here:
    You will need to enable the Advanced settings (see section 5 - Advanced).
    ScreenShot79.jpg

Then, you can change the status transfer method, to use the facebook util:
    4 - File Path Settings
    ScreenShot89.jpg

(A) My Status Transfer Method
    (A) Use Facebook Utility <---- Make sure this is ticked!

Let me know if that solves your problem.