[Q] Galaxy S3 - Loses Power While Charging!?

Search This thread

JamesObZ

May 15, 2014
Hi guys,

I have had my S3 for 2 years now and noticed this problem for the first time around 5 weeks or so ago. Basically i noticed that it would not charge much after a long period of time charging, and also when using the device the battery would deplete a lot more quickly than what I am used to.

On investigation it appears that I am losing power while charging. I downloaded the application 'galaxy charging' which lets me know how many mA are being drawn etc.

Via mains the reference is always 1098 or around 1amp as it should be and via USB it is 466mA. This app monitors the average current being drawn while the device is charging and i notice that EVERY time i charge via either mains or USB the device NEVER charges at its max capacity (1098mA via mains and 466 via USB)

What i see which happens is as soon as i plug in my charger to mains it will start off close to maximum, around 800mA and then after 10 seconds or so it will slowly come down to say 600mA, a further 20 seconds or sooner we are down to 300mA and eventually it will either settle around this figure if i am lucky so i actually charge my phone (all be it very slowly) but much more likely it will always drop off to 100mA. At this power the phone drains more battery being on than power being given to it to charge so the battery goes down while charging.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Troubleshooting attempted:
I have replaced the battery with a new one. I still get the same problem
I have replaced the USB lead, i *might* get a slightly higher stable mA on average on one but maybe this is probably just coincidental
I have tested via mains and USB, the error occurs on both, I have tested mains where nothing else uses the socket and USB on a PC where the only USB port being used is the phone.
I have changed my ROM, I am now using ArchiDroid. I thought doing a complete reset and putting on a new OS might fix this but apparently not.

Right now I am out of ideas and am left thinking this is some internal hardware error, but can anyone else offer any suggestions or has this happened to anyone else?

Appreciate any responses,
James

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
You could try a custom kernel which allows you to override the charging current, but you may find the charging circuit inside the phone is damaged.

Easy solution if so is to get a desktop charger and second battery.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

quaker1985

May 9, 2013
mumbai
i had this same problem but simply replacing the cable solved it
i tried nokia cable and now it is fine ,
if that also dosent help than you can try googy max kernel or boeffella kernel and check for "ignore unstable power option"

Reactions: JamesObZ

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Get one of these bad boys ;)
$T2eC16VHJHgFFlmBjhjiBSTeC+jwrg~~60_35.JPG

Just search "galaxy s3 battery wall charger" on ebay.

JamesObZ

May 15, 2014
if that also dosent help than you can try googy max kernel or boeffella kernel and check for "ignore unstable power option"

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. However it was this one that fixed my issue. Since i already had the boeffla kernal on my phone i found the setting to 'ignore unstable power' and since having that checked i now charge at a constant 460mA via USB and 1098mA via mains. Thank you so much!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.