donations ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

paul.robo

Apr 8, 2012
why are some developers on xda so content on gettting donations :S yes if ur a recognized dev and you have given soooooooo much already yes i would donate. but alll these people saying donate donate donate when they havnt even got a rom yet are bassicly begging in a sense.

then there's the people that promise the best rom in the world but ask u to donate so they can the rom going i think thats wrong.

ONLY ASK FOR DONATIONS IF U HAVE A ONGOING PROJEXT ( WITH A ROM ) DONT LIMIT YOUR WORK TO JUST A FEW BETA TESTERS MAKE IT OPEN SO LOADS OF PEOPLE CAN TEST AN GIVE U FEEDBACK. IN MY MIND THESE PEOPLE USE THE DONATION SCHEME AS A LOOP HOLE TO SCAM PEOPLE OUT OF CASH

whats your views on this let me know. i will soon be moving my sony ericcson port to the madaco forum as only so many good people on xda the rest just want to ripp people off . makes me angry as xda used to be the best forum in the world. but now people use it as to scam money and thats a CRIME :mad:

in my opinion, i think ONLY recognized developers should have the donation tool as other people are abusing it and scamming cash out of good honist people

Last edited:

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
To be fair, nobody is scamming anyone. They're not forcing you to donate and if people choose to do so then i don't see anything wrong with it. I've never seen any instances where people are asking for donations when they haven't even contributed. But like i said, donations aren't forced upon you.

It's not even like you can accidentally hit donate!

Also, what about other devs such as Lowveld who aren't recognised developers?

Last edited:

Tapur007

Sep 28, 2011
Agree with Dan.
Plus, with all the hard work and efforts that our Devs put in, There's no harm in asking for a donation (IMHO) ! Remember, all Devs have a life outside of XDA...
And a donation need not be for monetary objectives only (of course, there's money involved).. But, I feel it is a sense of appreciation for all their hard work and a token of respect!

I know U are also a Dev... Keep up the good work!

Peace :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA

Reactions: paul.robo

paul.robo

Apr 8, 2012
Agree with Dan.
Plus, with all the hard work and efforts that our Devs put in, There's no harm in asking for a donation (IMHO) ! Remember, all Devs have a life outside of XDA...
And a donation need not be for monetary objectives only (of course, there's money involved).. But, I feel it is a sense of appreciation for all their hard work and a token of respect!

I know U are also a Dev... Keep up the good work!

Peace :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA

Im not a recognized dev I NEVER ask for donations as its a privalige to be on here helping people out. Im saying it like this. If it NOT a recognized dev. Then u shouldnt ask for donations
Untill u are a recognized dev. I see being on these type of forums as a pleasure not a job. I am not new to CDs as many of u might think. I've been a active member since 2 years. I left the.forum and didn't think I would end up back but here I am.I deleted my old account but I wish I never. Some1 has made some apps and promised all a Rom but says if he don't get any donations he won't do the Rom. To me it seems like he don't have any intentions to make a Rom he just wants the donations makes me very angry to see this

M

Montague Fortiscue

Paul, where are you from?English is not my native language, i don't write very well, i do a lot of typo's and probably i am not very coherent all the time, but

Regarding your problem for donations from my point of view they are great for the developers.
I allready saw Baadnwz a great developer(ex Desire, Sensation now on the One X) uses the money for buying new phones, or nk111 uses the money to pay his server and the list can go on.

Do you still think this is a scam?

Sorry for the developers that i didn't mention. And in my opinion lowveld should be a recognized developer.

Mod Edit:
Next time think twice about directing comments like that at fellow users please. This is not a place to say "you suck" or " your ___ sucks" or anything like that. This is XDA and a friendly community.
Glad I stumbled across this comment while roaming the forum here, as its not needed

Last edited by a moderator:

lowveld

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2008
Im not a recognized dev I NEVER ask for donations as its a privalige to be on here helping people out. Im saying it like this. If it NOT a recognized dev. Then u shouldnt ask for donations
Untill u are a recognized dev. I see being on these type of forums as a pleasure not a job. I am not new to CDs as many of u might think. I've been a active member since 2 years. I left the.forum and didn't think I would end up back but here I am.I deleted my old account but I wish I never. Some1 has made some apps and promised all a Rom but says if he don't get any donations he won't do the Rom. To me it seems like he don't have any intentions to make a Rom he just wants the donations makes me very angry to see this

Well, personally I think your point of view, although addressing some points I actually agree on (namely: work should never be dependent on donations), it's a bit over the top.

I don't scam people, and I am very clear on the purpose of asking for donations: buy a new device without having to sell the desire S on the process. Plus, even if you don't agree with the purpose for which I ask donations, I don't (and I think noone else) force you to donate anything.

And for this attitude, you don't need to be a Recognized Developer. You just need to be a decent human being. And fortunately we have lots of them on the DS forums.

Peace

Last edited:

paul.robo

Apr 8, 2012
Paul, where are you from?English is not my native language, i don't write very well, i do a lot of typo's and probably i am not very coherent all the time, but
...Mod Edit...

Regarding your problem for donations from my point of view they are great for the developers.
I allready saw Baadnwz a great developer(ex Desire, Sensation now on the One X) uses the money for buying new phones, or nk111 uses the money to pay his server and the list can go on.

Do you still think this is a scam?

Sorry for the developers that i didn't mention. And in my opinion lowveld should be a recognized developer.

put your glasses on :p

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol

Paul, I've not been a member on here for very long, although I spent quite a while just reading and hovering. I have also been a member on various other forums of all types for years. I have avoided commenting on this, or your other, rants before, but feel the need to now.

There is absolutely no need for the above comment and it is bordering on offensive. Your posts are very difficult to read - you mix lower-case and upper-case sentences all over the place, miss out punctuation so that multiple sentences become one huge string of words and your spelling is abysmal (I'm not entirely sure if some of it is you deliberately trying to be clever or ‘down with the kids’).

Draghiciandrei started his post by asking where you were from and commenting that his English is not the best. If English is not your first language then you have an excuse for some of it, but you should therefore give him the same leeway that he gave you. If English IS your first language however then you should be putting the effort in to make your posts easier to understand for the multitude of people here who do not speak English well.

I'm not trying to start a war of words here or anything, just putting my two-pence worth into this thread.

paul.robo

Apr 8, 2012
Paul, I've not been a member on here for very long, although I spent quite a while just reading and hovering. I have also been a member on various other forums of all types for years. I have avoided commenting on this, or your other, rants before, but feel the need to now.

There is absolutely no need for the above comment and it is bordering on offensive. Your posts are very difficult to read - you mix lower-case and upper-case sentences all over the place, miss out punctuation so that multiple sentences become one huge string of words and your spelling is abysmal (I'm not entirely sure if some of it is you deliberately trying to be clever or ‘down with the kids’).

Draghiciandrei started his post by asking where you were from and commenting that his English is not the best. If English is not your first language then you have an excuse for some of it, but you should therefore give him the same leeway that he gave you. If English IS your first language however then you should be putting the effort in to make your posts easier to understand for the multitude of people here who do not speak English well.

I'm not trying to start a war of words here or anything, just putting my two-pence worth into this thread.

get a grip mate if i meant it in any offensive way i would have been more aggressive. :S i put a :p face next to it u got to be kidding me mate :S seriously u have got to be joking :/ obviously you dont know what the meaning of the word offensive is. it would have been offensive if i had said it like this *** put your ****ing glasses on *** however i did NOT say it like that. i said it like this *** put your glasses on :p *** in a joking way. im a computor programmer not a bully :/ if u have anything else to say feel free to PM me and we will sort this out as men should ( with kind words ) :D :p

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Actually 'mate' I do know the meaning of the word "offensive". Perhaps you don't and should look here The Free Dictionary

That comment is offensive because it has the capability to offend some people - you trying to claim it is not is eactly the same principle as people who claim they aren't racist despite using racist words because they "don't mean it". As for your comment about
it would have been offensive if i had said it like this *** put your ****ing glasses on ***
that would have just been downright rude and ignorant.

And, please try to read your own post. Yet again it is very difficult to follow - no capital letters, bad spelling, no punctuation, and constantly using ":p", ":S" etc instead of the smilies which are a lot clearer and easier to pick out in the writing.

I'm not going to do this on PM as there is no need. I am not the only person who you seem to want to pick a fight with and I respect several of those people that you have argued with enough to understand that I am not the one with the problem.

After speaking to Paul I would ask, respectfully, that nobody else jump onto my comments towards him. I will leave them here as they have been said, but there is no need for this to go any further at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: olyloh6696

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
I know that sometimes it's best to say nothing, but it's so difficult not to respond to somethings

Although I feel the childish yet perfect response would be WHATEVER!

Step away from your mobile....:D

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
According to conantroutman, senior mod, I am the same "level" as a recognized developer.

According to XDA Rule # 8, users are allowed to ask to donations in their signatures, "However donations up front are not allowed, this forum is about sharing, not about getting paid to do something, that's what your job is for."

Perhaps a better way to have handled this would have been to have clicked on the posters name, and then to have chosen "Add xxxx to Your Ignore List".

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Okay I'm here no fear guys. :)

Now in response to all that has happened here I first want to say thank you to the two individuals that took the spat to PM and stopped it in the public forum. Again PM is where you should take ANY and EVERY disagreement you might have with someone.
Do NOT let me see you starting a pissing contest in the public forum directly attacking users using foul curse words! This is not the place for that and never will be on my watch!

Now as for the topic/thread....I'm okay with it long as you guys continue to keep it civil in here going forward. This topic while can get out of hand easily, is one that is okay to discuss imho.

My personal opinion on the subject though.....
It is more than okay for people to have donation links in their sig's that are not dev's. You dont have to be a Dev to warrant a donation. Many of the themer's and other people that contribute to the community are NOT developers but they provide value to the overall community and if someone wants to donate to them so be it...They might not get much use out of the button, but it is their right to have one if they want...

Now asking or demanding for donations up front will not be tolerated here in any way. There can be a fine line on this with RD's and others using the donation system for their beta's and such before a wide release but thats NOT what I'm talking about here at all. I'm talking about the flat out demanding of a donation before providing a service or doing anything else...If you see that then report the post and I or someone else will handle it.

Any further ?'s see the rules in my signature or PM me.

Again, keep this civil or it will be closed...

Last edited:

paul.robo

Apr 8, 2012

Now asking or demanding for donations up front will not be tolerated here in any way. There can be a fine line on this with RD's and others using the donation system for their beta's and such before a wide release but thats NOT what I'm talking about here at all. I'm talking about the flat out demanding of a donation before providing a service or doing anything else...If you see that then report the post and I or someone else will handle it.

exactly what i meant. I never meant for this to get so out of hand. I should have put more detail and more of a explanation about it. I have posted a thread, Aimed at the people i offended. I am sorry this got so out of control, I will be leaving XDA untill i have my operation and i have Fully recoverd. (Which will be about 6months). When i do recover i will be starting to port roms and apps like i used to ( Thats right i have not just joined xda i used to be here before, I was on the good old sony x8 forum ;) I used to port app's i even made flash player work for sony x8 arm 6 devices :p i even ported sense to x8, so i am a contributor to xda members, I closed my account back then but i recently joined back up. I would like to say a very nice thanks to Simon.TS.HTC For being so understanding and being just a hell of a nice guy.

Reactions: SimonTS

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Slightly off-topic, I'm really happy with you, Mr Sgt Slaughter :)
You are a great civilized mod, and I'm glad you are keeping things in order here, and regularly checking by. I'm happy that you are the new DS mod!

Thanks alot man!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

To be honest you guys deserve just as much credit b/c i can't venture in here hardly at all to check so i depend on the reported posts...keep up the reporting and things will get handled swiftly i promise.

Reactions: olyloh6696
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, personally I think your point of view, although addressing some points I actually agree on (namely: work should never be dependent on donations), it's a bit over the top.

I don't scam people, and I am very clear on the purpose of asking for donations: buy a new device without having to sell the desire S on the process. Plus, even if you don't agree with the purpose for which I ask donations, I don't (and I think noone else) force you to donate anything.

And for this attitude, you don't need to be a Recognized Developer. You just need to be a decent human being. And fortunately we have lots of them on the DS forums.

Peace
    According to conantroutman, senior mod, I am the same "level" as a recognized developer.

According to XDA Rule # 8, users are allowed to ask to donations in their signatures, "However donations up front are not allowed, this forum is about sharing, not about getting paid to do something, that's what your job is for."

Perhaps a better way to have handled this would have been to have clicked on the posters name, and then to have chosen "Add xxxx to Your Ignore List".
    To be fair, nobody is scamming anyone. They're not forcing you to donate and if people choose to do so then i don't see anything wrong with it. I've never seen any instances where people are asking for donations when they haven't even contributed. But like i said, donations aren't forced upon you.

It's not even like you can accidentally hit donate!

Also, what about other devs such as Lowveld who aren't recognised developers?

Now in response to all that has happened here I first want to say thank you to the two individuals that took the spat to PM and stopped it in the public forum. Again PM is where you should take ANY and EVERY disagreement you might have with someone.
    Do NOT let me see you starting a pissing contest in the public forum directly attacking users using foul curse words! This is not the place for that and never will be on my watch!

Now as for the topic/thread....I'm okay with it long as you guys continue to keep it civil in here going forward. This topic while can get out of hand easily, is one that is okay to discuss imho.

My personal opinion on the subject though.....
    It is more than okay for people to have donation links in their sig's that are not dev's. You dont have to be a Dev to warrant a donation. Many of the themer's and other people that contribute to the community are NOT developers but they provide value to the overall community and if someone wants to donate to them so be it...They might not get much use out of the button, but it is their right to have one if they want...

Any further ?'s see the rules in my signature or PM me.

Again, keep this civil or it will be closed...