CyanogenMod 11.0 for Photon Q

Search This thread

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Just installed 0827. Unfortunately this one also has the bug where the ringtone won't play over the speaker when I play music and remove the headset. I have to toggle volume up/down and paly pasue music until I hear the volume adjustment notification over the speaker. Otherwise I won't hear my phone ring when called (after removing headset while listening to music that is). This bug must be over an year old. Also reported on the XT925.

But, I won't mention it again. All four of us have learned to live with it. Nonetheless it is annoying. Especially after BT use. I tend to forget checking the volume then.

Anyway, thanks for that 7s no-reboot implementation! Very, very happy with that.

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
Just installed 0827. Unfortunately this one also has the bug where the ringtone won't play over the speaker when I play music and remove the headset. I have to toggle volume up/down and paly pasue music until I hear the volume adjustment notification over the speaker. Otherwise I won't hear my phone ring when called (after removing headset while listening to music that is). This bug must be over an year old. Also reported on the XT925.

But, I won't mention it again. All four of us have learned to live with it. Nonetheless it is annoying. Especially after BT use. I tend to forget checking the volume then.

Anyway, thanks for that 7s no-reboot implementation! Very, very happy with that.

The problem is that I'm not able to reproduce it.
I just tried it again: I listened to music in Play Music app via headphones, then I removed the plug => the music playback stopped. Then I called myself from another phone and the ringtone played from the speaker just fine.

If you could guide me how to reproduce the issue, then I should be able to debug it and eventually fix it.

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Thing is, all I have to do is press play in let's say Google music, unplug the headset and call myself. The phone will ring, but without the ringtone. My guess is it's still routed to the headset. Because when I plug in the headset I hear the ringtone. The same goes for notifications. All sound, except music, seems to be directed to the headset instead of the speaker.

Like I said, the only workaround for me is to press play/pause while playing with volume up/down until I hear the rocker volume again. This is the only reason I turned it on again.
Strange thing is on the XT925 I certainly wasn't the only one with this problem. And the misses and my son also have this problem. I always suspected Equalizer to be the culprit. But of the four I know with this problem only my son and I seem to have Equalizer installed.

If you can tell me how to help with logging etc I can try. I have three XT897 CM11 to try and one stock. All four running different versions with different apps. If you want I can even record it to show you.
But... I'm gone until Sunday. So it won't happen before then.

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Again sound issue

This morning the misses was almost late for work... Again this stupid bug with the speaker. She was running 20140908.
Saturday she connected to a Logitech Boombox UE (the big one) via BT. Played some music and then stopped the music and disconnected/ (and) disabled BT. Sh hadn't noticed it, but since then sound wasn't played via the speaker. So ringtones and notifications do not play via the speaker. As a result, the alarm didn't go off this morning :silly: .

I updated her phone to 20140914 this morning while she took a shower. But I'm an 100% sure it won't help Jack... Whenever she listens to music (Google Music) via BT or a headset, and disconnects afterwards, all sounds except music is still being re-routed to BT/headphone. I say this because you will hear the notifications and/or ringtone when I re-connect to BT or insert the headphone jack.

For now I've enabled her volume rocker sounds and showed her the workaround/check. But it would be nice if this finally got fixed.
For the record, she has a minimum of apps installed. None of them are sound enhancers.

Tell me what to do and I'll show you!

Reactions: teapack

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Tell me what to do and I'll show you!

Maybe start with some logs?

I can't say I've ever experienced this bug before, and kabaldan has expressed similar sentiment if I recall correctly.

I use BT all the time with my motorcycle helmet as well, as well as using the phone as an alarm.

palmwangja

Feb 20, 2008
Camera

Did anybody have this experience with built-in camera?

launching this app in lets say a portrait mode, and turn it to a landscape. It severely stutters or just hangs.

I'm on the latest lately : 0917

:eek:

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
Code:
D/AlarmManagerService( 7979): Kernel timezone updated to 240 minutes west of GMT

appears in my log every few seconds.. known bug?

Also GMT is deprecated xD

Last edited:

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
The M10 snapshot is not available for download anymore.
Is it because of the reported not bootable build? (As reported in the other thread.)

edit: Had to clear the cache. The Downloadlink has been changed.

Last edited:

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
Which other moto devices are on the jbbl branch? Can we enable the camera key in the frameworks overlay?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Which other moto devices are on the jbbl branch? Can we enable the camera key in the frameworks overlay?

Any of the moto_msm8960's should work... they just have to be on the JellyBean bootloader. There's some which have no choice, Atrix HD and Photon Q are the only two I know of that are still stuck on the jbbl... and I think the Atrix is getting its official Moto update "soon", but I'm not sure how soon. Oh, and the xt926 I think was still waiting for its update as well...

No clue about the other random devices like xt905, Electrify M, etc. They are probably still jbbl as well.

Fr4gg0r

Aug 4, 2010
The camera button works in the camera app, but the Settings application is not aware of its presence, because it's not enabled in the framework overlay.
I like having the option to play/pause music with the camera key.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
I'm having the same problem running M6. I'm suprised no one else has mentioned this because it is a deal breaker for me. Oh well back to CM 10.1 for me

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

I had LTE on a nightly from a month ago or so...

In fact, I've never had a problem connecting to LTE (where available of course).

kabaldan

Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net

The camera button works in the camera app, but the Settings application is not aware of its presence, because it's not enabled in the framework overlay.
I like having the option to play/pause music with the camera key.

Atrix HD, Australian Razr M (xt905), a lot of xt925 (only few regions got KK so far), Electrify M and also those xt926 and xt907 users who decided to downgrade from KK to JB builds because of KK issues.
Photon Q is the only device with physical camera button. Though this commit is not entirely correct, I guess it's acceptable:
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/74257

My main issue with it is actually that the camera button wake doesn't work. It should be either fixed or hidden from options for single stage camera devices.

Reactions: Fr4gg0r
I had LTE on a nightly from a month ago or so...

In fact, I've never had a problem connecting to LTE (where available of course).
You are right. I'm going to have to plead guilty here. I believe I may have broken LTE (by uneducated changes to APN) in an attempt to get my MMS working properly.

Speaking of MMS, my problem is about once or twice a day all of sudden the last message I receive starts repeating over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Rebooting the phone stop this

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
You are right. I'm going to have to plead guilty here. I believe I may have broken LTE (by uneducated changes to APN) in an attempt to get my MMS working properly.

Speaking of MMS, my problem is about once or twice a day all of sudden the last message I receive starts repeating over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Rebooting the phone stop this

I can't really help with MMS unfortunately... I always had my number 'merged' with Google Voice, so MMS would either go into a black hole (if sent from VZ or AT&T phones) or I would actually get a link to the picture (Sprint and recently Tmobile phones).

Because of this reason, I've always just told people to email me pictures - that ALWAYS works! ;)

I also didn't have LTE data using a sprint mvno
Had to go into the Mobile Networks settings menu and change the APN / Access Point Names and manually configure mine.
Alternatively you could try using a program APN Backup Restore on stock rom...and then restore it once CM11 is installed using the same program.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.APNBackupRestore

First day on cm11 for me...so far...overall rom response is slow compared to ICS
But gotta love all the new features and lack of bloat...i dont know...we'll see

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=moto_msm8960_jbbl

After the sweet time while Photon Q (xt897) has been a happy part of the unified moto_msm8960 builds, with the KitKat update released (so far) for Verizon Droid Razr HD (xt926) and Droid Razr M (xt907) by Motorola, things have changed.
    The changes made by Moto in the KK update are very deep and break a lots of things for non KitKat updated devices.

Since the 1st July 2014 nightly build (besides the M8 release, the last JB based, xt897 compatible build), only KK updated devices have been supported by new CM moto_msm8960 builds.

A KitKat update for xt897 has been confirmed to be cancelled by Motorola.

As the new 3.4 kernel turned out to be not so easy to be made flawlessly working with the JB based baseband firmware as initially expected, I've decided (with the punch and help by @stargo ) to uphold an alternative moto_msm8990_jbbl builds, so that CM could support also the moto_msm8960 devices not updated to KK firmware so far (or ever), again. The jbbl builds are still based on the old 3.0 kernel.

So, after a one month pause, xt897 is again officially supported by CM (together with xt925, xt905, xt902 and mbm886), via new moto_msm8960_jbbl builds.

moto_msm8960_jbbl device specific source repos:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_motorola_moto_msm8960_jbbl
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_motorola_qcom-common
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_motorola_msm8960-common/tree/cm-11.0
    Any news on 3.4 kernel? In know not to ask for ETA. But I am curious wether 3.4 development is ongoing or has stopped.

And as to why? Lapdock ;)

I still may have a few ideas of what to check and try, but I'm not actively working on 3.4 kernel on Q at the moment due to a serious lack of free time. But I'd really like to get back to it, hopefully soon (whatever that means ;) ).

I think we've pretty much reached the end of the line in regards to this phone, which is sad. Reality is that nadlabak probably has a job and a family - and it was going to be a Herculean effort for him to get it going by himself anyway.

The blame for this lies with Motorola who, for some reason, decided that this was the only 8960 device to NOT get an official KitKat update. If Moto would have continued support, then we could have stayed unified with the rest of the 8960 tree, we would have had the 3.4 kernel, and probably could have even advanced to Lollipop. Even though the device is long-in-the-tooth, it's still *very* capable - making the situation even more sad.

CM12 build for xt897 (based on 3.0 kernel) is currently being actively prepared (together with mb886, xt925_jbbl and maybe other jbbl devices).
    As mentioned, Atrix HD (mb886) hasn't received the promised official KK update yet, as well as Australian Razr HD (xt925) and Australian Razr M (xt905) - Telstra postponed the planned December KK release because of some issues found and is currently waiting for a new submission from Motorola for new testing at Telstra.
    So there's still a lot of jbbl devices out there that demand CM12, not only Photon Q.

CM12 jbbl builds are almost ready. The main remaining issue (caused by difficulties with the old 3.0 kernel) is to get the hw video encoder and decoder properly working. Once it's fixed, official CM12 nightlies for jbbl devices will start rolling.

Regarding the reasons for cancellation of KK update for Photon Q, my own feeling tells me that it was actually caused by Sprint decline to participate on the release. For Sprint, Photon Q was a failure, and I guess they didn't want to invest any more resources to its future support.

Doug Kaufman, manager of handset strategy for Sprint:
    "So we had all that data, and we said 'Look, there's still the demand for QWERTY.' And then we went out and built the LG Mach and the Photon Q."

"It was a big party and nobody came."
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5104704/i-come-not-to-praise-qwerty-but-to-bury-it
    Thanks, that made me smile. Especially the weatherman bit, can't quite see that connection. At least if you said something like blaming the guy who changed your brakes for an engine failure or something would make more sense, but quite not as funny :)

Honestly tho, is it that hard (for the person who knows what they're doing already) to put out a newer version? I mean they used to do it every day, it must be fairly automated.

I like the idea of rolling back g+ tho, I'll try that now. And yeah, apparently my battery problem is google play services, it's used 37% in the last few hours since this morning when I took the phone off the charger, along with android OS taking 25%. Screen is down at 3% cuz I hadn't even looked at my phone today until this very moment, and that's usually the thing that's highest any other time I'd looked at it with previous versions.

But I still think it's easier to blame CM since that's what I changed that started this, and I did try to read the changelog to see if this particular issue was mentioned and fixed in later version, but didn't find anything, would be easier (for me, obviously) to just try something newer before I spend time trying to figure something out that may already be solved.

The wakelocks related to the updated (via play store) google apps and services should be fixed for CM11 by:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/91881
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/91882

Unfortunately, I don't have the power to trigger a new official moto_msm8960_jbbl CM11 build on Jenkins.
    I hope to find the time to provide an updated unofficial CM11 build, but I'm rather saturated by the real life at the moment, so it will take at least a few days before I get to it.
    My notification light always lights up in white, regardless of the color I set in the settings. -.-
    Is that a known bug?

The Photon Q (and also other moto_msm8960 devices) RGB LEDs behave in a binary way - they can be only on or off.
    You can't change their brightness and mix various amounts of different colours to get the full colour palette.
    So you can have only 7 different colours of notification LED (2^3 = 8 which includes all three LEDs off - black).
    ff0000 is the same as 010000 - red LED on.

You have to make sure that at least one of the RGB values is zero, otherwise it means all three (R & G & B) LEDs are on = white light.

Code:
    ff0000 - red
    00ff00 - green
    0000ff - blue
    ffff00 - yellow
    ff00ff - magenta
    00ffff - cyan
    ffffff - white
    In case you search for an image after a long time, you might want to use this archive...
    please consider to donate to archive.org
    https://archive.org/download/cmarch...626-SNAPSHOT-XNG3CAO1L8-moto_msm8960_jbbl.zip

edit: here is even more
    https://web.archive.org/web/20161228040926/https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=xt897