[Q] Cannot flash recovery or rsd anything on unlocked xt907

Search This thread

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I flashed the fxz gpe(after flashing the official first) a few weeks ago on my daughter's phone. It worked well until one night she said there were issues. It would not stop force closing just about every app. I did not have a custom recovery on it at that time. I have since attempted to rsd the gpe, the official fxz, a custom recovery. I have used fastboot commands to attempt to wipe userdata etc. All of these say successful, but it reboots back to the broken gpe each time. When I try to use adb shell to mount system it tells me permission denied. Note, this phone is being used as a media and game device, so no sim card and is in airplane mode with wifi on generally. Any ideas guys?

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
What does rsdlite say when you attempt to flash the official from the Motorola firmware It doesn't make sense that (if it does) when you rsd the official that it boots back to the broken gpe... You could try house of moto and see if it works any better

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
What does rsdlite say when you attempt to flash the official from the Motorola firmware It doesn't make sense that (if it does) when you rsd the official that it boots back to the broken gpe... You could try house of moto and see if it works any better

After rebooting it back to the bootloader it says pass. House of Moto did not work either unfortunately. I also used his RSD flasher. You are absolutely right when you say it doesn't make sense. That is why I am baffled at this point. I am able only to get in to settings if I am quick enough(launcher crashes if I hit home), I just tried to switch to dalvic as I noticed it was on Art. However when it rebooted, it went back to Art still...

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Try booting to recovery as its stock recovery factory reset and clear cache partition then when you select reboot immediately hold the volume up n down then go straight to the fastboot screen from that menu and rsd the official from there... Let us know (I know how important it is to get it working I have a 2 year old with a droid 4 and its the end of the world when it dies I can't imagine if I were in your position...)

Last edited:
Reactions: jamminjon82

PrankCallPimp

Jun 26, 2014
Pittsburgh
Custom Recovery

I flashed the fxz gpe(after flashing the official first) a few weeks ago on my daughter's phone. It worked well until one night she said there were issues. It would not stop force closing just about every app. I did not have a custom recovery on it at that time. I have since attempted to rsd the gpe, the official fxz, a custom recovery. I have used fastboot commands to attempt to wipe userdata etc. All of these say successful, but it reboots back to the broken gpe each time. When I try to use adb shell to mount system it tells me permission denied. Note, this phone is being used as a media and game device, so no sim card and is in airplane mode with wifi on generally. Any ideas guys?

When you're flashing anything, it's a good idea to return to factory settings first & flash a clean stock rom. But when you flash a custom recovery, you need to make sure that it doesn't boot up normally after it's done. If it boots normally it will replace your custom recovery with stock recovery. To avoid this, as soon as its done flashing and begins the normal boot process, press power&volumeup&down simultaneously and scroll down to recovery and go into this. After you do this once, you shouldn't face anymore problems.:good:

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Try booting to recovery as its stock recovery factory reset and clear cache partition then when you select reboot immediately hold the volume up n down then go straight to the fastboot screen from that menu and rsd the official from there... Let us know (I know how important it is to get it working I have a 2 year old with a droid 4 and its the end of the world when it dies I can't imagine if I were in your position...)

When you're flashing anything, it's a good idea to return to factory settings first & flash a clean stock rom. But when you flash a custom recovery, you need to make sure that it doesn't boot up normally after it's done. If it boots normally it will replace your custom recovery with stock recovery. To avoid this, as soon as its done flashing and begins the normal boot process, press power&volumeup&down simultaneously and scroll down to recovery and go into this. After you do this once, you shouldn't face anymore problems.:good:

Just tried all of these suggestions and still have stock recovery and rebooting back to the same busted google play edition rom.:confused:

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
OK...just to be clear your using the 6.1.6 rsd lite and the 183.46.10 from sbf devoplers.org... Booting into fastboot letting rsd do its thing then allowing rsd boot the device and when it does it boots to the broken gpe?... let's see if more experienced individuals have an idea @RikRong @ATTACK

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
That's correct, also have redownloaded numerous times to verify that it didn't happen to be corrupt

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
That's correct, also have redownloaded numerous times to verify that it didn't happen to be corrupt

Try and flash recovery with mfastboot but boot straight into recovery, then try and flash CM11 nightly.

Type
Code:
mfastboot flash recovery <recovery name>.img
Then
Code:
mfastboot reboot
as soon as you hit enter, press & hold volume up (+) which will take you into recovery.

Last edited:

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
equrupu7.jpg
still takes me back to this after following those commands

Reactions: ATTACK

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Just did and still booting into the same gpe Rom
Is there any more info that I can give you that would help us figure out what the heck is going on with this thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: ATTACK

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
Just did and still booting into the same gpe Rom
Is there any more info that I can give you that would help us figure out what the heck is going on with this thing?

When you did mfastboot reboot, did it reboot?
Have you tried other USB ports?
Did you get any errors with mfastboot?

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
ubyde2ys.jpg
Don't know if this info helps

If you could would you please try this, I would like to see if ADB reads your partitions.

Boot to the OS and make sure ADB is on.

In CMD type
Code:
adb shell
Except the dialog that pops up on your phone.
Then Type
Code:
ls -al /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name

Reactions: ezknives

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try and flash recovery with mfastboot but boot straight into recovery, then try and flash CM11 nightly.

Type
    Code:
    mfastboot flash recovery <recovery name>.img
    Then
    Code:
    mfastboot reboot
    as soon as you hit enter, press & hold volume up (+) which will take you into recovery.
    Darn...:( That's all I have for now. I'll keep looking around and post here if I find something.

Thanks again for trying, I really do appreciate it. I usually pride myself on being able to do just about anything with my phones, but I'm beginning to think I've been bested by this thing lol.
    just because i havent seen it suggested yet.... recovery images can alternativly be flashed to the boot partition... its not useually nessasary but maybe in this case worth a shot..

mfastboot flash boot recovery.img
    mfastboot reboot

if it took... you'll startup into whatever recovery you flashed

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

just had another thought on a possibility.... maybe... i've read about ppl using the DD command before to force flash partitions on the phone. i've even used it to attempt to flash a custom recovery on my RAZR M before i got the bootloader unlocked(worked but wouldnt boot the recovery and failed bootloader security checks) i ended flashing the official one back. i'll have to lookup the actual command lines i used though...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49114506

Some details on recovery flashing via DD
    equrupu7.jpg
    still takes me back to this after following those commands

Did you run CMD with administrator rights?
    Just did and no luck

Have you tried to mfastboot the images separately?
    Code:
    mfastboot flash...
    Code:
    modem NON-HLOS.bin
    erase modemst1
    erase modemst2
    boot boot.img
    recovery recovery.img
    system system.img
    erase cache
    erase userdata