Review of ESCAM Pearl QF100 IP wireless camera w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Very nice review, my friend. I've been looking around for a good security camera for the home that is wireless. This one seems to have an AC output needed for power and by the looks of it doesn't seem like it would be weatherproof. Do you know if it can be mounted outside? Thanks :).

JoWannes

Jan 19, 2011
Thank you for the review.

I've been thinking of getting 2~3 IP camera's when I move to my own house (hopefully soon). These look good for the price.

Do you have any idea if these work with Synology Surveillance Station? I'd like to manage the cams on my Synology NAS, and keep the recordings stored on it. Unfortunately, the brand is not on Synology's Camera Support List.

Do you happen to own a Synology and want to test Surveillance Station? Many thanks in advance!

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
I'm pretty sure they will not work with that system. As a matter of fact, I got confirmation that other outdoor camera from the same ESCAM company will not integrate with that app, but they are working on updated version, to be released soon.

That Synology sounds a bit too complicated, surveillance for professional use/monitoring. Sorry, don't have or use anything like that. I was very impressed with a simplicity of the camera above and will wait for their outdoor version to add to a few outside monitoring points (just to catch neighbors walking their dogs on our lawn lol!!!). For home, I just need it to monitor my kids and when we are away on vacation.

pedrokv

Nov 1, 2013
Motion detection

Hi, don't you know, that this Escam Pearl camera has motion detection, which sends pictures to FTP/e-mail? I can't see it in specs..

Thanks a lot!

PedroKV

JoWannes

Jan 19, 2011
Hi, don't you know, that this Escam Pearl camera has motion detection, which sends pictures to FTP/e-mail? I can't see it in specs..
Take a look at the one but last picture. Guess it does. :)
@vectron
There is a microSDHC card reader to store recordings locally, and you can store them on your Windows pc as well? Is there any option to save the recordings on a network share (e.g. on a NAS) (without a computer running)?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Take a look at the one but last picture. Guess it does. :)

@vectron
There is a microSDHC card reader to store recordings locally, and you can store them on your Windows pc as well? Is there any option to save the recordings on a network share (e.g. on a NAS) (without a computer running)?

No, unfortunately it either records directly to microSD or when you click manually from a phone/tablet or PC where it gets stored locally. Maybe you need something more advance for what you are looking for. Maybe something like Dropcam, though it cost $200 per indoor cam and $99 annually to have cloud recording (I think 1 week stored interval only, for more you need to pay a lot more). This ESCAM solution is really for a budget oriented surveillance. They just need to add outdoor camera support to their app, and it will be pretty good. For NAS storage, it probably needs some extra security options enabled or something (sorry, have no idea about this stuff, so just guessing).

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Unfortunately, it's not weatherproof. This is for indoor use or if you mount it by the window looking outside for outdoor surveillance. I see DX has a lot of other ESCAM cameras for outdoor use: http://www.dx.com/s/escam - I will request to get some for review, and will ask which one they can suggest to me that integrates with their current app. That would be an ultimate solution to have a split screen with multiple views of indoor and outdoor monitoring points. Btw, it supports more than 4 views, since i see Windows app with 16 views. DX, also has a dedicated page for this QF100 camera now : http://c.dx.com/collection/201408/e..._medium=homerotate&utm_campaign=20140812escam

I actually think this wireless outdoor ESCAM version will work great with it: http://www.dx.com/p/escam-q6320wifi...w-24-ir-led-white-eu-plug-318846#.U-zR12O5Q08 - I will try to get a review sample to see how it integrates with QF100 and common app control.

I do have and reviewed DropCam as well. It's a nice camera which I use often when my kids are in the basement playing. But it's limited to a fixed wide angle and after awhile it overheats because it's such a tight design with hardly any airflow (also for internal use only). The biggest problem - you have to pay monthly fee to get video access, beside $200 price tag.

But honestly, this QF100 camera is very good for $56 and has a lot of features. Definitely recommend it!

Thanks for the reply, buddy. I def agree with you. This is a great budget camera and I honestly don't feel that DropCam is worth it at all. I'm not a big fan of annual fees with limitations on storage capacity. A camera system should be straight forward and simple for you to have complete access to because it is YOURS. I really hope a perfect outdoor system comes. Let me know how it turns out when you get that review sample :).

Reactions: rotemshan

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply, buddy. I def agree with you. This is a great budget camera and I honestly don't feel that DropCam is worth it at all. I'm not a big fan of annual fees with limitations on storage capacity. A camera system should be straight forward and simple for you to have complete access to because it is YOURS. I really hope a perfect outdoor system comes. Let me know how it turns out when you get that review sample :).

I got confirmation that outdoor camera they have right now will not integrate with their app. They are working on a new version of outdoor camera (I just assume the same guts as QF100 inside of their current outdoor camera enclosure), and I will update my review as soon as I get a sample!

Btw, Anker is working on their own version of "dropcam" ip camera, without monthly paid subscription but for indoor only. Will be interesting to see what they come up with (I was selected for beta testing, so perhaps will have my impressions in a few weeks).

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
I got confirmation that outdoor camera they have right now will not integrate with their app. They are working on a new version of outdoor camera (I just assume the same guts as QF100 inside of their current outdoor camera enclosure), and I will update my review as soon as I get a sample!

Btw, Anker is working on their own version of "dropcam" ip camera, without monthly paid subscription but for indoor only. Will be interesting to see what they come up with (I was selected for beta testing, so perhaps will have my impressions in a few weeks).

Sounds good. Keep us posted. Sorry for the late replies, been pretty busy :angel:.

chris_h16

Jan 1, 2010
Hi,

I've just received that cam from DealExtreme.

Good Quality, all perfect on WiFi but, have you tested the factory DDNS to access from an outside network?

Hi

I'm wanting to get some of these cams from DealExtreme and mount them externally, but how to do cable them with the huge LAN/Power connector on the end?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi,

I've just received that cam from DealExtreme.

Good Quality, all perfect on WiFi but, have you tested the factory DDNS to access from an outside network?

Absolutely! Nothing needs to be configured, everything works by default. The day I had this camera setup and tested at home on my wifi, I was checking it remotely, later when over at friends house.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi

I'm wanting to get some of these cams from DealExtreme and mount them externally, but how to do cable them with the huge LAN/Power connector on the end?

These cameras designed for internal (inside of the house) use only. Their housing is not designed for outside use, but the company is working on a new outside version that will work with the same control app. No need to use LAN cable since it's wireless. With power connector, unfortunately, no way around it. Need to bring out the wires. Btw, that is a common power tip on the connector and you can get usb cables with an adapter for that connector. So in theory you can power up multiple cameras from usb ac wall charger, like those 5 port ones from anker or bolse.

chris_h16

Jan 1, 2010
These cameras designed for internal (inside of the house) use only. Their housing is not designed for outside use, but the company is working on a new outside version that will work with the same control app. No need to use LAN cable since it's wireless. With power connector, unfortunately, no way around it. Need to bring out the wires. Btw, that is a common power tip on the connector and you can get usb cables with an adapter for that connector. So in theory you can power up multiple cameras from usb ac wall charger, like those 5 port ones from anker or bolse.

There's loads of escam outdoor cameras on dealextreme.

Vintorlok

Oct 31, 2010
Cornellá de LLob.
Absolutely! Nothing needs to be configured, everything works by default. The day I had this camera setup and tested at home on my wifi, I was checking it remotely, later when over at friends house.

Hi Vectron,

I've tried it, typing on an outside network the dns URL http://XXXXXX.ipcam.so but I get this message:

Account [XXXXX] is offline.

What do I have to config to make it work?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
There's loads of escam outdoor cameras on dealextreme.

None of them integrate with the same app used by QF100. It's not just about the camera. You want to have different cameras connecting to one app so you can monitor everything at once, rather than use different apps for different cameras ;) ESCAM is working on a new outdoor version that will work with their existing app.

The-Force

Jul 31, 2008
Is there a good alternative for Synology Surveillance Station that works with the QF100?

The phone app doesn't work on 4g. Status is connection and nothing happens...

Last edited:

walter5892

Sep 13, 2014
Has anyone got this to work other than reviewer?

I largely purchased this camera based on the review here...What a disappointment, either everyone is receiving a different version or the reviewer is making false claims... The camera does NOT work outside of the local LAN! This makes it useless. DDNS does not work. I'm computer savvy have a few other IP cameras and this model is not accessible outside the LAN even if you open all ports on the router. Support requests unanswered... the app is garbage, this camera does not work with other Android apps either, a wasted $60...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unfortunately, it's not weatherproof. This is for indoor use or if you mount it by the window looking outside for outdoor surveillance. I see DX has a lot of other ESCAM cameras for outdoor use: http://www.dx.com/s/escam - I will request to get some for review, and will ask which one they can suggest to me that integrates with their current app. That would be an ultimate solution to have a split screen with multiple views of indoor and outdoor monitoring points. Btw, it supports more than 4 views, since i see Windows app with 16 views. DX, also has a dedicated page for this QF100 camera now : http://c.dx.com/collection/201408/e..._medium=homerotate&utm_campaign=20140812escam

I actually think this wireless outdoor ESCAM version will work great with it: http://www.dx.com/p/escam-q6320wifi...w-24-ir-led-white-eu-plug-318846#.U-zR12O5Q08 - I will try to get a review sample to see how it integrates with QF100 and common app control.

I do have and reviewed DropCam as well. It's a nice camera which I use often when my kids are in the basement playing. But it's limited to a fixed wide angle and after awhile it overheats because it's such a tight design with hardly any airflow (also for internal use only). The biggest problem - you have to pay monthly fee to get video access, beside $200 price tag.

But honestly, this QF100 camera is very good for $56 and has a lot of features. Definitely recommend it!

IOS App ESCAM EYE fixes connection problem when viewing off of the internal network

For those you who have tried ESCAM QF100 and noticed you can't access the camera off your local network, this message is for you. A new IOS app was released that fixes this issue. It's made by the same developer as PnPCam. It's called ESCAM EYE and its in the App store as of Sep 5 2014.

Before getting this app, I would see Invalid ID when connecting while off the local network.

Before getting ESCAM EYE I got around this by going directly to the camera using its network IP and port. It's pretty advanced considering it hosts its own web server. I changed the original port it was listening on but it I think it was port 80. I opened ports on my router to that new port and was able to get options to view the camera off network without using an app. You can use IE, Firefox, Safari, or a basic no-plugin mode. That's pretty sophisticated for a $60 camera! Your username is admin and the password is whatever you set it to. I believe the default for the camera is 888888. Here is a screenshot of the landing page after logging in.
    IMG_1224.PNG

I like the camera, the build quality seems well worth the measly $60 cost. It's your best value for the money, bar none.
    Still struggling to view your escam outside of Local LAN? Try this

I received my escam from dx a few days after ordering, and finally found time to set it up. I spent almost 2 hours trying to get the wifi to work. Finally gave up and decided to try connecting to the cam from my phone.

I then found that my router wifi has stopped working (again!). So I powered off and on the router and voila! the cam wifi started working!

Then I searched the user manual (leaflet?) trying to find out how to access the cam through internet. No instructions!

I decided I really did not want to mess around with port settings etc....

So I use Teamviewer. This is a free service for home users and it allows you to control your home computer or any other computer as if you are sitting right in front of that computer. You see on your remote computer the same screen as if you are sitting in front of your other computer.

I have used this service for a few years, and it is very handy especially since my laptop is only a very low power asus eeepc surf 4g. With teamviewer I can harness the full power of my home desktop which has a much higher power cpu, lots of disk storage, etc.

(Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the teamviewer organisation, just am a very happy and satisfied user)

I can control the cam movement, start recording, change options etc, and see the cam output via teamviewer.

Give teamviewer a try if, like I, you still cannot figure out how to access your cam outside of your local LAN.
    I can access the files saved on SD card via network or ftp ?

I have an external HD connected to a router with dd - wrt , and was wondering if I could transfer the videos recorded on SD card for this HD

Sorry, Google Translator here.
    I have the same question is possible to access to the recorded files of the sd remotely outside the cameras network?