[kernel] [odin3] Overclock to 1.2 GHz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Baccarat

Jan 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have a stock install + stage 1 lag fix and flashed this kernel.

Linpack is 10.175 MFLOPS and Quadrant is 1130.

I played some games for about half an hour and I haven't had any problems. Bootup definately appears to be quicker and browsing around with Dolphin seems to be a bit snappier as well. If the effect on battery life isn't too bad, this looks to be a real winner. Thanks!

AJerman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
There is a table in the code for the two versions of s5pc110 (1ghz and 800mhz) - 1ghz has 5 values, and 800 has 4.

You would have to change alot of code around to add another value
best is just to replace 1 ghz with 1.2 ghz - the m110s runs at 1.25V (Stock and OC)

Yeah, and I have all that done, but I'm missing something that isn't letting it use 6 steps rather than 5. I'll revisit it soon, but I've got a bunch of things I'm working on now and this is at least something for now. The reason I'd like all steps would be because you could use SetCPU to set your maximum to 1.2 GHz or 1 GHz to turn on and off overclocking. Right now you can only drop back to 800 MHz if you don't want to be overclocked. This works for now though I guess.

bedwa

Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Okay, so I'll probably make another dedicated topic to this, but I wanted to post here first, and maybe get a few people to try it out before I do.

I'm haven't figured out exactly how to add the 1.2 GHz step properly right now, and keep the 100 MHz step. Something is limiting how many different speed steps you can. It's probably in the code and I haven't hit the right section yet, but I guess it could be limited in the hardware also. I'm still working on it, but until I figure it out, I figured people don't want to lose their 100 MHz step, otherwise you'd lose a somewhat significant chunk of battery because the slowest it'd be going would be 200 MHz even at idle. I did run it like this for at least 14 hours last night, but I couldn't say how much it would actually affect battery life.

So anyway, until then I've gone the simple route and compiled a kernel that replaces the 1 GHz step with 1.2 GHz. I figure if you're doing something that needs enough power to hit 1 GHz, you're probably doing something that would have kicked it into 1.2 GHz anyway.

Standard disclaimer applies, try this at your own risk. Overclocking CAN reduce life or even break things, blah blah blah, you know the deal. I've been running like this for about a full 24 hours now and have seen no problems, so I can't imagine anyone else will unless it's simple voltage adjustments.

Right now it's running at the stock voltage of 1.275 V, though from the info I can find Samsung says 1 GHz can run at 1.25 V, so I don't know the difference there. I'll play with voltages, but for now, 1.2 GHz has run at stock voltage just fine for me with no crashes or hangs, even through the SetCPU stress test. If you have issues, please let me know and we'll tweak it a little.

Also, one last thing, this kernel is ext4 enabled, but won't mount anything. You can still use it with an ext4 external partition if you do the userinit version of the speed fix mod. If there's interest I'll see if NukaCola want's to build a OC kernel that will mount external partitions also.

So anyway, here you go:

I was noticing in the code changes replacements instead of adding additional calls like in the n1 overclocking. I think I noticed how it should ber done, I'll post the sections of code tomorrow.... When I'm on my computer instead of my n1.

jasonyump

May 28, 2010
Los Angeles
twitter.com
so far so good. been stable for about an hour.

Linpack score

Mflops-10.175
Time-0.53
Norm Res: 3.36

Quadrant Score improved from 887 to 1063(With Overclock No app lag fix)

Last edited:

AJerman

Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
I was noticing in the code changes replacements instead of adding additional calls like in the n1 overclocking. I think I noticed how it should ber done, I'll post the sections of code tomorrow.... When I'm on my computer instead of my n1.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. I'm still learning my way around a little so I'll take all the help I can get. :)

In the mean time, I thought I would tease you guys with this... :cool:

iB5fh.png

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Yeah, we all have this issue right now. I think I even read it in the i9000 thread, but don't quote me on that. Hopefully between all of the developers of the different phones we can figure it out. That or Samsung could fix the source, that would be nice, haha.

Do i9000 kernel have this problem as well?

I'll play w/ your kernel tomorrow, it's hard to flash on camping w/o my laptop -)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

AJerman

Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
Just out of curiosity, are there any problems atm with this kernel?

The only issue is the wake up delay issue. When your phone goes to sleep and you press the power button to wake it back up, it takes a few seconds to turn on. An annoyance, but a small one when you really think about it. I'm sure we'll get it fixed, but until then, I can spare a few extra seconds of my day every so often.

hansmrtn

May 18, 2010
In a Box, Washington State
The only issue is the wake up delay issue. When your phone goes to sleep and you press the power button to wake it back up, it takes a few seconds to turn on. An annoyance, but a small one when you really think about it. I'm sure we'll get it fixed, but until then, I can spare a few extra seconds of my day every so often.

You should really throw up a donate link

B

big99gt

I just finished flashing it, no problems with it at all thus far. I'm not having any issues with wake lag either. Quick question....do you think I should have Setcpu running Ondemand or Conservative? The phone itself is still laggy but a little better than stock it seems. I have mine set with 200Mhz as the minimum and it is on the default "conservative" setting at the moment. I flashed over stock and have not done any speed or lag fixes yet. Great work! I'm thrilled to see these results so soon.

EDIT: Linpack 10.156
Quadrant 1031
The interesting thing is that Quadrant finished running in 1/10th the time it normally takes....it doesn't hang at all now.

Last edited:

AJerman

Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
I just finished flashing it, no problems with it at all thus far. I'm not having any issues with wake lag either. Quick question....do you think I should have Setcpu running Ondemand or Conservative? The phone itself is still laggy but a little better than stock it seems. I have mine set with 200Mhz as the minimum and it is on the default "conservative" setting at the moment. I flashed over stock and have not done any speed or lag fixes yet. Great work! I'm thrilled to see these results so soon.

EDIT: Linpack 10.156
Quadrant 1031
The interesting thing is that Quadrant finished running in 1/10th the time it normally takes....it doesn't hang at all now.

Well, I'm using Conservative, and have no lag at all. The overclock gives a little more power out of the CPU, but the real help for getting rid of the lag is to do the speed fix you see in other topics that puts the data folder on an SD card partition.

BplusB

Jul 21, 2010
Could anyone help me out and give me a quick rundown of how to install this? I'd love to help test this out, but this is my first android phone and I am very new to this. Thanks

B

big99gt

Well, I'm using Conservative, and have no lag at all. The overclock gives a little more power out of the CPU, but the real help for getting rid of the lag is to do the speed fix you see in other topics that puts the data folder on an SD card partition.

I'm getting burnt out with lag fix attempts lol I haven't had any luck getting one to work (I just tried the one that messes with the boot logo and just changed it to work with ext4...no luck) but the phone is faster with the overclock anyways so I'm still happy.

AJerman

Jul 18, 2007
Colorado
Could anyone help me out and give me a quick rundown of how to install this? I'd love to help test this out, but this is my first android phone and I am very new to this. Thanks

If you're very new to this, I honestly wouldn't suggest starting with kernel flashing and overclocking. Doing it wrong could brick your phone. If you want to learn more about the process look up odin and how to use it, then you'd just use my file to flash the kernel.

I'm getting burnt out with lag fix attempts lol I haven't had any luck getting one to work (I just tried the one that messes with the boot logo and just changed it to work with ext4...no luck) but the phone is faster with the overclock anyways so I'm still happy.

I've got no lag with ext3 or ext4 external partitions. What are you getting in Quadrant with those? Not that Quadrant is a real life test, but it can at least give an idea if you have it all set up right. With OC+ext3 you should get around 1600-1700, with OC+ext4 you can get as high as 2100 as you can see in my signature.

Edit: Other than the wake up lag, but that's a known bug right now that we haven't been able to pinpoint. If Samsung would just give us working code we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.