[Guide] How to apply an update.zip to a stock Xoom (3G/WIFI) (with a USB-Host cable)

Search This thread

footboydog

Jan 25, 2009
Turns out I got the signature error because I had an unlocked bootloader (but with a stock ROM). I tried to relock and now I'm bricked like this thread. :(

moosamm

Nov 4, 2009
Sydney
OK my system is a Wifi Only US model that has had all the bad stuff done to it and I've gotten it to 3.1.

Restore back to stock boot, system, recovery.
Wipe cache, reboot.
Connect USB cable so you can adb boot recovery.
When you get the green android with ! belly button pull out the USB cable.
Use the Official Verizon Camera Connection Kit Cable, yeah $20, but at the end of the day today, I *KNOW* where the extra money went! :O)
Insert USB thumb drive with update.zip on it.
Do the up arrow power button thing to get the blue recovery menu. (no need to race this thing)
Select the update from USB card, pick your update.zip etc...
Wipe your cache!
Reboot
Patiently wait whilst the Dalvik files get re-cached.
Then wait some more.
Don't freak out yet...

Enjoy that sweet 3.1 Honeycomb++ !!!

NO data is wiped by this process. You just lose your Tiamat kernel and Superuser. But you get to watch rental movies, fair trade right?

so how do u Restore back to stock boot, system, recovery if ur xoom is rooted n has a custom kernel?

sleeplessninja

Mar 14, 2011
Amherst
This is just a suggestion if you don't have a USB Host Cable. Can someone confirm? I have a rooted Xoom and do not want to revert to try this out.

However if you have a USB Hub. Can't you first plug in your Xoom using the normal usb cable and then plug in a FAT32 USB Drive into the USB Hub. That way no need for a Host Cable. You just have the Xoom and USB plugged into the hub which then links them together. Since you can get a hub for cheap at the store no need to order a host cable online and wait for it to ship it there. This also is how I would connect my keyboard and mouse simultaneously to the xoom.

I apologize if this doesn't work, but it seems right to me.

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
This is just a suggestion if you don't have a USB Host Cable. Can someone confirm? I have a rooted Xoom and do not want to revert to try this out.

However if you have a USB Hub. Can't you first plug in your Xoom using the normal usb cable and then plug in a FAT32 USB Drive into the USB Hub. That way no need for a Host Cable. You just have the Xoom and USB plugged into the hub which then links them together. Since you can get a hub for cheap at the store no need to order a host cable online and wait for it to ship it there. This also is how I would connect my keyboard and mouse simultaneously to the xoom.

I apologize if this doesn't work, but it seems right to me.

What an amazing idea...trying now.

Edit:

Forget that...my USB hub is mini-usb to regular USB. If it was regular to regular I'd be good to go...damn, back to waiting for the OTA for me.

Does this work for anyone else?

Last edited:

kevinniven

Jun 30, 2007
Phoenix
Reset

Just did a factory reset on my WIFI Xoom. After it connected to my wifi it said update available. Said yes and running great.

@prime

Jan 26, 2011
I am also having problems getting my wifi xoom to recognize my usb drive. I picked up a cheap USB OTG cable at my local electronics store and no matter what I do, the xoom wont seem to recognize my usb drive. I have also tried 3 different drives.

RTessi

Feb 7, 2010
Bay Area, CA
everytime i adb reboot recovery i get to an android guy with an exclamation point and i can't do anything. after a few minutes it just reboots itself...

any ideas?

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008

RTessi

Feb 7, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Assuming the poster is talking about something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+M...Id=2300514&st=micro usb flash drive&cp=1&lp=2

I think the "micro" is referring to the size of the drive (meaning "small") and not the connector size.

Its tough to be sure without an image, but id bet its a regular USB connector with "micro" drive.

Can anyone confirm?

The micro he is refering to is indeed the size of the connector, not the drive. You need to plug into the bottom of the Xoom and thats micro, not standard USB, hence the need for a micro cable

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
The micro he is refering to is indeed the size of the connector, not the drive. You need to plug into the bottom of the Xoom and thats micro, not standard USB, hence the need for a micro cable

No, I got that, I know what size the connector needs to be, I mean when the poster said that he saw that bestbuy had "micro usb flash drives for about 24 bucks." he may have seen something similar to what I linked to.

I for one have never heard of or seen anything that resembles a usb drive with a microusb connector outside of some at home project someone posted. Definitely not at BestBuy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone, I just managed to get my completely stock Xoom updated via USB host-cable... some instructions:

REQUIRED:
    USB HOST CABLE
    FAT32 USB THUMB DRIVE

3G Instructions:

1) Place the update.zip (can have any filename you like) on the usb stick.

2) Connect the USB stick to the host cable and connect the host cable to the Xoom.

3) Power off

4) Power on, tap (ONLY TAP) volume down a few times until you get a list of options you can cycle through.

5) Select Android Recovery

6) Tap Volume up to boot into recovery

7) Hold power and tap volume up at the green android screen to get the BLUE recovery menu

8) Select apply update from USB drive

9) Select your update.zip from the menu... enjoy!

As for the 3.1 Update, if you get into a boot loop, just hold power and volume up to get out of it.

WIFI ONLY USERS:

There is no menu option for android recovery, you'll need to use:

adb reboot recovery

you can plug in the usb stick at the green android guy screen
    Wifi version? Or only 3g?
    Anyone searching for a cheap host cable can find one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00474OYLG . It also ships pretty fast.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Can anyone suggest a USB host cable? There's plenty of USB micro to USB female cables on Amazon, and I really can't tell them apart. I'd prefer something with Amazon Prime, but the smaller the converter the better...

Thanks!
    actually on my wifi xoom i see the 'update via USB'
    but i dont have a host cable, perhaps when its plugged in that option is gone?
    I just tried adb reboot recovery as suggested above and then swapped the cable for the flash drive as someone suggested above. I got into recovery and had the option to Update Via USB but it failed each time saying that it couldn't be mounted. I've tried 2 drives. I don't know if I'm not switching over fast enough or maybe I have a bad host cable.