Does the screen hurt anyone else's eyes?

Search This thread

xda-soar

Jan 30, 2012
Pennsylvania
I feel like the screen from my new note makes my eyes ache and get blurry after extended use. Does anyone else have this experience? I am wondering if it is the WQXGA LCD screen that is doing it. I didn't have eye strain with my last tab, the asus tf101, which admittedly had a much lower resolution IPS screen. I also didn't notice eye strain for the short time I had the tf700, another asus with an IPS screen which I ended up returning for the note. So maybe IPS screens are better for me.

I tried reducing the brightness on the note and have it in movie mode but I still notice the pain. I am not sure if this pain will go away after time or I am imagining it.

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Grykonmon

Jul 17, 2013
México > Gdl
So is my first time with a touch device, and with this resolution. I didnt experienced that... I am pretty sure that is only you: (or maybe, you just need vitamins :) )

I dont have any medical problems in my eyes, I dont need glasses... I never experienced something like that (just something weird in my fingers) but actually my boyfriend does...

He feels the same as you... But in this case, his problem is different... After a long time with the same problem, he experienced random nosebleed's... Like pression. The only thing that helped him is just the use of eyeglasses. But maybe is not the same thing, so dont worry, im just saying my opinion.

What else do you feel? Surely your eyes got tired, or you just need glasses for that. :) Something else that you want to say? Greetings! (And sorry for my bad english.)

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jnichols2

Dec 2, 2013
I feel like the screen from my new note makes my eyes ache and get blurry after extended use. Does anyone else have this experience? I am wondering if it is the WQXGA LCD screen that is doing it. I didn't have eye strain with my last tab, the asus tf101, which admittedly had a much lower resolution IPS screen. I also didn't notice eye strain for the short time I had the tf700, another asus with an IPS screen which I ended up returning for the note. So maybe IPS screens are better for me.

I tried reducing the brightness on the note and have it in movie mode but I still notice the pain. I am not sure if this pain will go away after time or I am imagining it.

Your Note probably has smaller text than the other tablets. Now your eyes are straining to see the smaller text.

The cheap solution is Drugstore reading glasses, which may or may not help you.
The best solution is a visit to your optometrist. It happens to most of us. :cyclops:

xda-soar

Jan 30, 2012
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies. I have used other 10 inch tablets and I have not had a problem with them. Why would the text be smaller on the Note if I am looking at the same web page in Chrome, for example, at the same zoom level as another 10 inch tab like the transformer tf101 or tf700?

Reactions: Geordie Affy

jnichols2

Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I have used other 10 inch tablets and I have not had a problem with them. Why would the text be smaller on the Note if I am looking at the same web page in Chrome, for example, at the same zoom level as another 10 inch tab like the transformer tf101 or tf700?

The higher the resolution, the smaller the "default" font.

A 10" 800 x 600 screen will use a larger font, while a 10" 1920 x 1080 can take advantage of the resolution by using a smaller font.

The normal eye can make out smaller text if it's "clear". Lower resolution screens have fuzzier text.

The Note's 1920 x 1080 screen is the "clearest" on the market, beating the Apple by a wide margin. Any other 10" tablet you look at will be less clear than the Note.

GalaxyNotesTx

Jan 25, 2014
The only thing that hurts my eyes are reading all these stupid complaints about this tablet. This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Take vitamins, get glasses and get Laid..

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

supremekizzle

Mar 15, 2013
The only thing that hurts my eyes are reading all these stupid complaints about this tablet. This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Take vitamins, get glasses and get Laid..

No need to be rude. This guy has a legitimate question. Sorry if it's not up to your forum standards, but this is the Q&A forum and he had a Q. No need to be a douche bag about it.

arbit12

Jan 12, 2014
I had the same problem. Two things helped

1. Got an app named Lux from Play Store. Excellent for reducing eye strain especially at night.

2. Installed a screen cover - matte anti reflective. Also has the advantage of being fingerprint resistive. Amazon has several brands.S-pen works just fine with it.

Reactions: Geordie Affy

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I get blurry eyes and what not like @xda-soar mensioned thanks to using the tablet in a dark environment. I didnt even know an app existed that can lower the brightness further (esp in stock Android) so Thanks for that @arbit12 the Lux app is awesome and Thanks @xda-soar for asking the "idiotic" ( ;) )question as otherwise I'd probs had never found this app. :thumbup: :)

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

graewulf1

If your eyes hurt, yo u are either reading a bright screen in a dark room, or you need new glasses. The tablet isn't the culprit, eye strain is. I have no issue with the screen at all, and I use it quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
If your eyes hurt, yo u are either reading a bright screen in a dark room, or you need new glasses. The tablet isn't the culprit, eye strain is. I have no issue with the screen at all, and I use it quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I'm not blaming the screen as such but I find it doesnt go as dim as I'd like at times when I use it in a relatively dark room. I'm used to using my laptop at a very very low brightness setting.

During the day however I never have any problems with it, so it is just a night thing for me but anyways with the Lux app now installed on the tablet all is well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Grykonmon

Jul 17, 2013
México > Gdl

If that hurts, why don't you stop reading and close the page :fingers-crossed:

Or this comments helps in anything with the post :confused:

Senthilkumar007

Oct 11, 2016
I and my wife are facing the same issue of eye strain , this is not after prolonged usage , within 2 mins , eye strain starts while using regularly , there is no strain whenever j use my iPhone and my friend's ipad

Agent May

Sep 19, 2018
Yes!! I found your question when I googled the same question. My eyes are blurry for at least 10 minutes after using my S7. My old phone’s, iPads, don’t do this.. and I’m on low brightness and night mode.. it still does it. I needed to buy glasses shortly after I got the phone. I am at the age for it, but the eye strain and pain is seriously ooonly after every use of my phone. I don’t even want to check my messages any more. Ouchies!

Jojojo76665

Nov 5, 2019
I have just got the new note 10 phone and experiencing the same thing.... never had problems with my eyes beforehand, since this phone!

For all those posting negative snotty comments.. get a life... why are you even here to comment if you have nothing good to say?

Have you got a new device? How are your eyes now

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Old topic but:
- IPS/LCD is usually less stressful on the eye (as there is no pwm flickering on <100% brightness) compared to OLED.
- Notebookcheck usually tests for PWM/flicker in their reviews. Also see: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/flicker-free-tablets.64302/
I would say.. the Note 2014 is fine, but it will never be as good as an e-reader screen - in terms of like eye friendliness.

For me, I did have some eye strain with this device when I was using it for hardcore note taking. But I think it only happened because I was so focused on taking notes, and trying to make them look good and whatnot that I didn't blink often enough. My relative used this tablet for a few years - and now it's back to me. Used it like all day long and never complained about eye strain. So I am certain it was on me.

Zack zoof

Jan 23, 2020
I feel strain when I look at it in the dark to unlock. Apparently due to facial recognition, the brightness goes full to emit light and brighten the face for recognition.unfortunately you need to leave eyes open for it to unlock or see what you are typing. Switching off facial recognition and turning on blue filter fixed it for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No need to be rude. This guy has a legitimate question. Sorry if it's not up to your forum standards, but this is the Q&A forum and he had a Q. No need to be a douche bag about it.
    I had the same problem. Two things helped

1. Got an app named Lux from Play Store. Excellent for reducing eye strain especially at night.

2. Installed a screen cover - matte anti reflective. Also has the advantage of being fingerprint resistive. Amazon has several brands.S-pen works just fine with it.