[Q] Only boots to bootloader or recovery, no fastboot

Search This thread

xpurtwitness

Aug 29, 2008
Hi guys. I recently flashed a boot image via the Flashify app, which had worked in the past. After it flashed, I chose to reboot. Now my phone boots to the bootloader. I can't get fastboot to recognize my device on any PC (which is why I was trying another hboot). I can boot into recovery (cwm touch for now) but restoring roms etc. fails due to "no files found". ADB detects the phone in recovery. Can I repair my phone via adb without fastboot? I had a recent cwm and titanium backup on my sd card.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Hi guys. I recently flashed a boot image via the Flashify app, which had worked in the past. After it flashed, I chose to reboot. Now my phone boots to the bootloader. I can't get fastboot to recognize my device on any PC (which is why I was trying another hboot). I can boot into recovery (cwm touch for now) but restoring roms etc. fails due to "no files found". ADB detects the phone in recovery. Can I repair my phone via adb without fastboot? I had a recent cwm and titanium backup on my sd card.

are those computers all windows 8? There some issue with windows 8 and fastboot. better to use 7, linux or mac.

you can restore a backup or install a rom using adb, no need to use fastboot (except for recovery, RUU and firmware flashing)

you can transfer a rom to your sdcard using adb from custom recovery:

Code:
adb push name_of_rom.zip /sdcard/

I recommend you to use twrp 2.6.3.3 instead of cwm (required for arhd rom i.e) when you get fastboot working again.

Artemicion

Apr 22, 2013
are those computers all windows 8? There some issue with windows 8 and fastboot. better to use 7, linux or mac.

you can restore a backup or install a rom using adb, no need to use fastboot (except for recovery, RUU and firmware flashing)

Code:

I recommend you to use twrp 2.6.3.3 instead of cwm (required for arhd rom i.e) when you get fastboot working again.

I am stuck in the same boat - I can't use fastboot., but I need it to flash a new recovery before updating to cm11. I don't have access to any Win7 computers to use, only have Win8.1. Are there updated drivers for the HTC One yet? Or any way to get fastboot working properly on Win8.1?

alray

May 22, 2012
I am stuck in the same boat - I can't use fastboot., but I need it to flash a new recovery before updating to cm11. I don't have access to any Win7 computers to use, only have Win8.1. Are there updated drivers for the HTC One yet? Or any way to get fastboot working properly on Win8.1?

windows 8.1 doesnt work with early hboot version like 1.44 and if irc 1.54.

if you can't access another computer, use a live cd of ubuntu 12.04 32bit (no installation required, only boot from the disc or from a bootalb usb drive) and use fastboot from there.

Artemicion

Apr 22, 2013
windows 8.1 doesnt work with early hboot version like 1.44 and if irc 1.54.

if you can't access another computer, use a live cd of ubuntu 12.04 32bit (no installation required, only boot from the disc or from a bootalb usb drive) and use fastboot from there.

So is it possible to upgrade my hboot to 1.55 (currently 1.54)?

EDIT: Ok, actually, examining things, it looks like this should work:
a) Go to Ubuntu for fastboot, flash new recovery
b) Back to windows, into recovery, wipe everything, push ROM over using adb, clean install of cm11
c) new cm ROM will include updated hboot so fastboot will now work in Win8.1

....that seem logical/like it should work to you? Thanks

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
So is it possible to upgrade my hboot to 1.55 (currently 1.54)?
yes, via fastboot :laugh:

EDIT: Ok, actually, examining things, it looks like this should work:
a) Go to Ubuntu for fastboot, flash new recovery
b) Back to windows, into recovery, wipe everything, push ROM over using adb, clean install of cm11
c) new cm ROM will include updated hboot so fastboot will now work in Win8.1

....that seem logical/like it should work to you? Thank

yes except c)

a rom doesn't update firmware so hboot will not be updated by flashing a custom rom. If you want to update hboot you must do it via an ota update, a complete ruu install (higher version) or manually flashing the firmware using fastboot. with s-on, you must use signed firmware only (the correct version for your device) and you bootloader must be locked or re-locked to flash it (s-on)

Artemicion

Apr 22, 2013

yes except c)

a rom doesn't update firmware so hboot will not be updated by flashing a custom rom. If you want to update hboot you must do it via an ota update, a complete ruu install (higher version) or manually flashing the firmware using fastboot. with s-on, you must use signed firmware only (the correct version for your device) and you bootloader must be locked or re-locked to flash it (s-on)

Wow, ok, I think that sounds like far too much effort to just update my phone. Guess I'll use the ubuntu fastboot trick once, then just hope I never need to flash anything from fastboot again on this phone. Why is it always such an effort with these damn things? Thanks for the help, won't have a chance to try this for a couple of days but doubtless I'll be back with some other failed horror scenario then.

xpurtwitness

Aug 29, 2008

Code:

Yeah, that's pretty much the extent of what I knew, but I really appreciate your response. I did manage to get my old Win7 laptop running and with some effort got all the drivers working. I used htc1guru reset, but sadly I did lose the entire contents of my SD, despite its message that nothing would be touched. :-/ Luckily, most photos were auto-backed up by G+ and it's just a few settings and such that I can't get back or figure out. Least of my concerns after having a functional phone!

Artemicion

Apr 22, 2013

yes except c)

Hey, so I'm trying to do this, have got linux up and running and fastboot recognizes the phone, but I couldn't flash the recovery image as the terminal couldn't see it. What location does it need to be in within linux? I put it on the root of the usb drive and it wouldn't work from there...

alray

May 22, 2012
Hey, so I'm trying to do this, have got linux up and running and fastboot recognizes the phone, but I couldn't flash the recovery image as the terminal couldn't see it. What location does it need to be in within linux? I put it on the root of the usb drive and it wouldn't work from there...

the answer is always the same, in the same folder you have adb in.

so in ubuntu it should be androidsdk/platform-tools/