rEFInd on the Toshiba Encore WT8-A32

Search This thread

bads3ctor

Dec 23, 2011
I have managed to boot to rEFInd on my Toshiba Encore in preparation for booting Ubuntu from a microSD card natively. I have not written up a guide yet from my notes because I don't think there will be much demand for this here on XDA. If enough people want to do this, I will turn this post into a guide. This boots directly from the UEFI partition with no USB stick needed. You DO need a USB stick to do the actual install.

Toshiba Encore booting to rEFInd: http://postimg.org/image/4lx3mnxzr/
Toshiba Encore booting to Grub2: http://postimg.org/image/p3rgtpqkp/

Installing Ubuntu 14.10 to a microSD card on the Toshiba Encore:

Note: There are many problems right now with Ubuntu on the Encore. Touchscreen driver is broken as of kernel version 3.16. It's some kind of regression bug in the atmel-maxtouch driver(here is a program to debug our touchscreen: https://github.com/atmel-maxtouch/obp-utils).

You will need to prepare with:
  1. A USB stick to do the install
  2. Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit ISO(Daily build) http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
  3. A microUSB OTG cable(if you use the StarTech cable mentioned below then you don't need this)
  4. A high speed microSD card(Partitioned: 200MB FAT32 EFI partition, a large EXT4 partition, and a swap partition). I used this(was $21 on sale) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IVPU894/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. A Linux box to compile the latest versions of a few programs used to boot into Grub2 and Ubuntu. I will post the compiled versions but you should compile them yourself for security reasons.
  6. Read this to get an idea what's needed to get rEFInd installed: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows (there are extra steps not listed there)
The install will go from the usb stick booted from rEFIind to the microSD card. The Samsung PRO I am using only does ~20MBps so I'm guessing that is a hardware limit. I did the install without a swap partition and Ubuntu was unusable after opening up 4 or more programs so I added a swap partition to the end of my microSD card.

Getting rEFInd booting:

Turn off Secure Boot in the Encore bios. It should be possible to boot Ubuntu from a USB stick without turning off Secure Boot but I doubt it will ever be possible to do from a microSD card because the Toshiba Encore has no option to boot from a microSD card in the bios boot options.

Get rEFInd here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

Run these commands in an elevated permissions Windows command shell:
  • powercfg /h off
  • manage-bde -status c: (checks bitlocker status)
  • powershell
  • PS C:\> Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:"
  • manage-bde -status c: (after above command finishes, makes sure your disk is really decrypted.)
  • Then follow this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows
All the commands are explained on rodsbooks website except disabling Bitlocker. This is optional but if something goes wrong along the way, you might find Windows 8 encrypted and unbootable.

Note: The command: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi" to get rEFInd set as the default EFI boot program did not take the first time I did it. You might have to run that commend a few times rebooting each time until your tablet boots into rEFInd. Once it does, you will see a graphic to boot Windows 8. I suggest changing rEFInd to text mode so that you can use the VOL UP, VOL DOWN, and Windows button(as enter) to scroll through the boot options. Use "textonly" option in the rEFInd config file to set this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/configfile.html#adjusting

Installing Ubuntu(bleeding edge) 14.10:
Touchscreen does not work yet so I will update this section when I get it working.

If you want to have power to your tablet and USB OTG access at the same time, here is what you need(both Amazon prime eligible):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047AALS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQES55M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Any usb gender bender like this will do...there are cheaper ones)

Attach the USB gender changer to the black end of the StarTech cable and the attach a USB hub to the other end of the gender changer. Plug the red end into a 2.1 amp USB power source and the microUSB end into the Encore. Now the tablet will say "plugged in, not charging". You can now attach any USB device to the hub and Windows or Linux with see them. The tablet will have power but the battery will not charge.

Last edited:

alien44

Dec 16, 2008
Warsaw
I have managed to boot to rEFInd on my Toshiba Encore in preparation for booting Ubuntu from a microSD card natively. I have not written up a guide yet from my notes because I don't think there will be much demand for this here on XDA. If enough people want to do this, I will turn this post into a guide. This boots directly from the UEFI partition with no USB stick needed.

Hi
I wanna boot ubuntu on my encore :D Can You write the instructions how to, step by step?

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Nice, not sure how many others own this tablet, the Venue 8 Pro seems more popular. But I bought an Encore for the microHDMI so I would love to see a guide.

bads3ctor

Dec 23, 2011
Touchscreen driver works but needs calibration

Touch working? Wifi?

Thanks for posting the guide though!

Touchscreen bug:
Code:
i2c_hid i2c-ATML1000:00: failed to retrieve report from device.
Supposed to be fixed in kernel version 3.16 but so far in Ubuntu 14.10(kernel 3.16.0-23) TS is still broken. Internal WIFI works with a few tweaks. I am using a USB Atheros WIFI device for now.

I am running Windoze 8 and every few weeks I update Ubuntu 14.10 to see if the touchscreen works. I used to hack away at bleeding kernels to fix bugs like this but I am just going to wait for the Linux kernel devs to fix the touchscreen driver.

Edit: Booted into Ubuntu 14.10 after updating to the newest kernel and:

dmesg | grep i2c-ATML

[ 8.053603] input: ATML1000:00 03EB:8C12 as /devices/platform/80860F41:05/i2c-5/i2c-ATML1000:00/0018:03EB:8C12.0005/input/input6

Touchscreen works but is badly calibrated and the Unity side bar refuses to appear when the mouse is pushed to the left side of the screen. Not a very good trade-off! On the bright side, the former useless USB keyboard windows key now brings up the Unity sidebar.
Code:
bads3ctor@bads3ctor-Encore:~$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse        	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ATML1000:00 03EB:8C12                   	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech USB Keyboard                   	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech USB Keyboard                   	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ gpio-keys                               	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ gpio-keys                               	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
bads3ctor@bads3ctor-Encore:~$ xinput list-props 10
Device 'ATML1000:00 03EB:8C12':
	Device Enabled (130):	1
	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (132):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
	Device Accel Profile (253):	0
	Device Accel Constant Deceleration (254):	1.000000
	Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (255):	1.000000
	Device Accel Velocity Scaling (256):	10.000000
	Device Product ID (248):	1003, 35858
	Device Node (249):	"/dev/input/event5"
	Evdev Axis Inversion (257):	0, 0
	Evdev Axis Calibration (258):	1271, 1282, 3196, 3115
	Evdev Axes Swap (259):	1
	Axis Labels (260):	"Abs MT Position X" (280), "Abs MT Position Y" (281), "None" (0), "None" (0)
	Button Labels (267):	"Button Unknown" (262), "Button Unknown" (262), "Button Unknown" (262), "Button Wheel Up" (136), "Button Wheel Down" (137)
	Evdev Scrolling Distance (261):	0, 0, 0
	Evdev Middle Button Emulation (268):	0
	Evdev Middle Button Timeout (269):	50
	Evdev Third Button Emulation (270):	0
	Evdev Third Button Emulation Timeout (271):	1000
	Evdev Third Button Emulation Button (272):	3
	Evdev Third Button Emulation Threshold (273):	20
	Evdev Wheel Emulation (274):	0
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (275):	0, 0, 4, 5
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (276):	10
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (277):	200
	Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (278):	4
	Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (279):	0

Edit2: Here is the problem....the coordinates for calibration are off because the tablet is attached to an external monitor:
Code:
bads3ctor@bads3ctor-Encore:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3200 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
HDMI1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 983mm x 576mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+   50.0     59.9     30.0     25.0     24.0     30.0     24.0  
   1920x1080i     60.1     50.0     60.0  
   1600x900       60.0  
   1280x1024      60.0  
   1360x768       60.0  
   1280x720       60.0     50.0     59.9  
   1440x576i      50.1  
   1024x768       60.0  
   1440x480i      60.1     60.1  
   800x600        60.3  
   720x576        50.0  
   720x480        60.0     59.9  
   640x480        60.0     59.9  
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DSI1 connected 1280x800+1920+0 right (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   800x1280       60.0*+
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Last edited:

Rotry83

Dec 2, 2011
Sevilla
I managed to install Refind. Also, I managed to install ubuntu on sdcard. But in Refind not appears Ubuntu. How I can edit Refind to search the OS on sdcard?

Thanks!!

bads3ctor

Dec 23, 2011
Any more news on this?
Sorry for not getting back earlier on this but I wanted to exhaust all options before giving up on running Ubuntu on this tablet. The deal killer turns out to be the MicroSD card bandwidth. From what I can tell from the tests I have done while running Ubuntu from the MicroSD card, the BIOS is set to run the SD bus in DDR25 mode with no option to set it to DDR50 mode. DDR25 mode maxes out at about 18 MB/Sec and this is causing Ubuntu to lockup when disk I/O gets saturated.

With no option in the BIOS to set the SD bus to DDR50 mode, it is effectively a hardware limitation preventing Ubuntu from running properly.

rascal0pl

Dec 20, 2008
If you want to have power to your tablet and USB OTG access at the same time, here is what you need(both Amazon prime eligible):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047AALS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQES55M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Any usb gender bender like this will do...there are cheaper ones)

Attach the USB gender changer to the black end of the StarTech cable and the attach a USB hub to the other end of the gender changer. Plug the red end into a 2.1 amp USB power source and the microUSB end into the Encore. Now the tablet will say "plugged in, not charging". You can now attach any USB device to the hub and Windows or Linux with see them. The tablet will have power but the battery will not charge.

I have a question. This method won't be charging my tablet, so my battery won't be destroyed?

BTW another question. Why card reader in this tablet is that slow? I have sandisk extreme micro sd (64MB/s write - ~ 60MB/s in my PC card reader) but reader in toshiba can only read/write ~26MB/s. I thought that this card will be great for my tablet, but now I fell like I wasted my money. I could better buy standard class 10 micro sd card...

Last edited:

bads3ctor

Dec 23, 2011
I have a question. This method won't be charging my tablet, so my battery won't be destroyed?
The tablet will receive a charge but the battery will not be charged. If your battery is at 100% then it will stay at 100%.

BTW another question. Why card reader in this tablet is that slow? I have sandisk extreme micro sd (64MB/s write - ~ 60MB/s in my PC card reader) but reader in toshiba can only read/write ~26MB/s. I thought that this card will be great for my tablet, but now I fell like I wasted my money. I could better buy standard class 10 micro sd card...
It is an internal firmware limitation. There is supposed to be a BIOS setting to set the SD slot to a higher bandwidth level but this tablet does not have that option in the BIOS.

antor44

Sep 18, 2016
Card Reader of Bay Trail tablets is broken

The Card Reader of Bay Trail tablets is slow because is broken, no linux boot and is a read-only device with stock linuxes. You can patch the kernel and install some boot stuff in new partitions of Windows disk, but you can't boot from microSD. I also installed Android x86 and run fast, Android 4 and 6 stable versions, but I couldn't activate sound nor battery status. At least for my research, until today, if you have the 32 GB disk is very difficult you can play with dual boot, Windows is slow and wastes the hard disk, tablet mode of windows has no attractive (while Android is near perfection) and desktop mode is not friendly for touch-screen use, but for now it is stable and all the other tablet's devices works (touchscreen, GPS, Bluetooth, cameras, sensors, miracast), the battery management in this Atom environment has issues with linux and under Windows this x86 system doesn't seem so far away from ARM efficiency. I installed many GPL portable Windows applications in a minimal disk space, so for now linux and Android are worse for this tablet that seemed created for a Microsoft's skinhead.

Last edited:

antor44

Sep 18, 2016
UEFI boot

I forgot I have a 10 inches version of this tablet, 32 GB, Windows 10 32 bits upgrade (first upgrade) and BIOS 2.0

UEFI multi-boot is not so difficult with: rEFInd, easyUEFI Windows application (because Windows changes boot order), linux's Unetbootin for USB boot, bootia32.efi archive for some linux's installations (Ubuntu-gnome 16.04.1 64 bits requires at least 7-10 GB and swap, may be 32 bits is a bit better because it's less RAM hunger), ... before tests, you have to disable Windows's Bitlocker encryption (AES-128 Windows disk software encryption for this model of the Atom processor, I think without hardware assistance, that it's seamless for the user because UEFI includes shared key, if disk key is deleted Microsoft online user account stores a large password), secure boot, fast boot, windows session identification (Microsoft online authentication sometimes locks session start, probably cause some autocheck of a efi boot manipulation... may be was "default_selection" option of rEFInd for booting last selected OS), backup efi boot partition (copy the files after mount partition)... then I gparted the Windows disk form USB (with no data loss).

And if someone can the microSD boot, Raspberry Pi community recommends Samsung EVO+ 32 GB, for about 10 $/€ (be warned about scam versions), with the best by far random IO, far less from 20 MB/s, but may be important for linux, although I don't know if max random IO of the card reader had been reduced too (most probably yes... and a lot).

Another chance is wubi EFI, a Ubuntu Windows installer that now supports UEFI 32 bits (the non approved by free-software community secure boot only with UEFI 64 bits), this install linux in a big file (resizable) of a NTFS Windows disk (again microSD doesn't boot, it requires a rEFInd's Card Reader firmware and is not available) and linux runs in loop mode inside this file. I installed Ubuntu-gnome 64 bits and 32 bits (in this case the installer requires a command-line option). UEFI32 too requires EasyUEFI and secure boot and bitlocker disabled, I utilized a USB wifi stick (TL-WN722N) until internal wifi was configured... I found lots of issues, including slow internal-wifi, soundcard, battery status, processor stepping and hangs, and other users's solutions for different tablets have not always worked... then no usability research here. Anyway, wubi is not the best way to install linux, although it works and it's easy, and Windows complain less.

A last possibility for linux could be VirtualBox 32 bits, this supports microSD use and Atom processor includes hardware assistance supporting even linux 64 bits. Virtualize linux on this tablet is very slow and touchscreen is a pain.

After some time I returned the tablet to its original state with no data loss*, USB boot still there or the install in a fast (if well chosen) microUSB 3.0 stick or microSD-adapter... but no charger without the use of a less portable, and manipulation disconnections, cable adapter. I utilized a cheap "octopussy" cable from China (3 USB 2.0+ microUSB for charge... 3-4 $/€ or less), but this tablet is incompatible for simultaneous operation (USB OTG+charge), it don't charge while USB use and only I can do slow charge with a tricky: connect with charge mode, change to OTG mode and connect USB devices (warning: some Amazon's users report issues or damages in other tablets).

*bitlocker key changed with a new online password stored for recovery, and Toshiba recovery (Bios option) was broken, may be caused by gparted or some UEFI boot application or some of the installed OS, who knows... normal fixes solutions don't work, although windows own recovery partition worked. Toshiba utilizes a particular EFI directory and Windows doesn't repair it, I copied Toshiba BCD backed up file or, in case it doesn't work, BCD file from Windows recovery boot directory (may be a normal fixboot is required first).

Last edited:

antor44

Sep 18, 2016
Bug issues under Windows 10 update

After some time of use this tablet suffers issues, cause of its Bay Trail buggy platform, under Windows 8.1 and 10 (worse): Wifi disconnections and poor speed, laggy applications and touchscreen sometimes is unresponsive, miracast disconnections and choppy sound, although the whole system doesn´t hang. I did try linux last updates from http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.es/ and now most work better (July 2017), probably in a short time I will uninstall Windows 10.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have managed to boot to rEFInd on my Toshiba Encore in preparation for booting Ubuntu from a microSD card natively. I have not written up a guide yet from my notes because I don't think there will be much demand for this here on XDA. If enough people want to do this, I will turn this post into a guide. This boots directly from the UEFI partition with no USB stick needed. You DO need a USB stick to do the actual install.

Installing Ubuntu 14.10 to a microSD card on the Toshiba Encore:

Note: There are many problems right now with Ubuntu on the Encore. Touchscreen driver is broken as of kernel version 3.16. It's some kind of regression bug in the atmel-maxtouch driver(here is a program to debug our touchscreen: https://github.com/atmel-maxtouch/obp-utils).

You will need to prepare with:
    1. A USB stick to do the install
    2. Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit ISO(Daily build) http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    3. A microUSB OTG cable(if you use the StarTech cable mentioned below then you don't need this)
    4. A high speed microSD card(Partitioned: 200MB FAT32 EFI partition, a large EXT4 partition, and a swap partition). I used this(was $21 on sale) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IVPU894/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    5. A Linux box to compile the latest versions of a few programs used to boot into Grub2 and Ubuntu. I will post the compiled versions but you should compile them yourself for security reasons.
    6. Read this to get an idea what's needed to get rEFInd installed: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows (there are extra steps not listed there)
    The install will go from the usb stick booted from rEFIind to the microSD card. The Samsung PRO I am using only does ~20MBps so I'm guessing that is a hardware limit. I did the install without a swap partition and Ubuntu was unusable after opening up 4 or more programs so I added a swap partition to the end of my microSD card.

Getting rEFInd booting:

Turn off Secure Boot in the Encore bios. It should be possible to boot Ubuntu from a USB stick without turning off Secure Boot but I doubt it will ever be possible to do from a microSD card because the Toshiba Encore has no option to boot from a microSD card in the bios boot options.

Get rEFInd here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

Run these commands in an elevated permissions Windows command shell:
    • powercfg /h off
    • manage-bde -status c: (checks bitlocker status)
    • powershell
    • PS C:\> Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "C:"
    • manage-bde -status c: (after above command finishes, makes sure your disk is really decrypted.)
    • Then follow this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows
    All the commands are explained on rodsbooks website except disabling Bitlocker. This is optional but if something goes wrong along the way, you might find Windows 8 encrypted and unbootable.

Note: The command: "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi" to get rEFInd set as the default EFI boot program did not take the first time I did it. You might have to run that commend a few times rebooting each time until your tablet boots into rEFInd. Once it does, you will see a graphic to boot Windows 8. I suggest changing rEFInd to text mode so that you can use the VOL UP, VOL DOWN, and Windows button(as enter) to scroll through the boot options. Use "textonly" option in the rEFInd config file to set this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/configfile.html#adjusting

Installing Ubuntu(bleeding edge) 14.10:
    Touchscreen does not work yet so I will update this section when I get it working.