Will the performance of this tablet hold up?

Search This thread

firesoul453

Dec 17, 2009
I very much want a nexus 10, but I am wondering how the performance compares to say tega 3 and 4? If I bought one will it be pretty much useless a year from now? I am especially worried because its only dual core. (and I have no idea how the graphic chip compares). Its already been out 6 months and while its still the current tablet, history shows after a year a tablet is pretty much obsolete.

Also is it responsive? I've looked up videos but is it better than a nexus 7 atleast? (currently I have a nexus 7 but want a bigger tablet).

Do you guys feel its worth $400+?

Last edited:

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
it s not worth it .

the problem its with the 2gb ram ( 400 mb free true ) this i think its related with the frequent restarts and freeze .

this is not for you ... wait for something better if you want future .

go here next time http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2267362
for compare
Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: atg284

vennstrom

Feb 27, 2008
From N7 to N10 you can feel the difference. (I use Gnex, N4, N7 & N10)

It is all depends on your usage pattern. For me, it is fast enough (browsing, reading, movies) others might not think the same.

The point is, you need to identify what you really need in 10 inch tablet in reference of your usage.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
The tegra chips aren't that good actually. They are mostly hyped up by Nvidia.
The only plus for them are the exclusive games.

If the Tegra 4 will be better is something which we don't know yet.

sttovo

Sep 17, 2012
Cincinnati
Actually, I think the hardware is quite capable, it's the software that I think needs improvement. Before I got my N10, I had an Asus Transformer, like the grandpappy of tablets. The N10 blows it out of the water. I replaced my Asus after 1.5 years, I can see me keeping the N10 a lot longer.

mustbepbs

Nov 19, 2011
it s not worth it .

the problem its with the 2gb ram ( 400 mb free true ) this i think its related with the frequent restarts and freeze .

for compare

Dumbest thing I've ever read. Although not surprising from reading your previous comments.

This thing has a dual core A15 processor, nothing like the quad core A9s that people seem to think are better. Plus, the GPU is nothing to scoff at either. This thing will be around for a long time. I mean, hell, look at the XOOM. That thing has been around forever and even got JB.

Winesnob

May 20, 2012
Lorton, VA
Don't forget about the granddaddy of them all...the moto xyboard!

Xoom was first - Xyboard followed. Xoom introduced Honeycomb to the world (which thankfully was very short lived). And yes the Xoom is still cruising along on 4.2.2, and performs far better than when it was right out of the box. I'm waiting for an updated N10 in the fall (or N11 as the rumours go) to finally replace the Xoom.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

eShrooms

Oct 18, 2011
Denver, CO
Absolutely. Technology always changes and gets better. The only time I experience any lag on this tablet is when the app itself is poorly designed. Web browsing has never lagged once, even on the stock ROM.

It does everything I want it to and more. I'm also happy to know I'll be receiving the latest OS updates lightning fast.

samwheat

Feb 28, 2011
why people get upsad when others are saying their opinions and they dont come with arguments in compare ?

Sorry kids ! i was wrong ... our candy Nexus 10 has 4gb ram . It s planty for the future . It was an error from me and Its not lagging its just freeze and restarts .

Another problem that i thought its that it have only 32gb ... it haves 64 in reality..

Sorry again ! please fogive me !

Better ? :) please don t cry !

Last edited:

mrruin

Aug 6, 2010
That "comparison" between the Nexus 10 and Tegra 4 is wrong on so many levels...heck they are not even using the same browser. NVIDIA hype machine is in full swing...

Reactions: Curtox

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
I very much want a nexus 10, but I am wondering how the performance compares to say tega 3 and 4? If I bought one will it be pretty much useless a year from now? I am especially worried because its only dual core. (and I have no idea how the graphic chip compares). Its already been out 6 months and while its still the current tablet, history shows after a year a tablet is pretty much obsolete.

Also is it responsive? I've looked up videos but is it better than a nexus 7 atleast? (currently I have a nexus 7 but want a bigger tablet).

Do you guys feel its worth $400+?

From my perspective, if you can wait, I strongly recommend you wait. The next nexus 10 will surely pack a quad core A15 chip alongside a much improved GPU. While the T604 GPU is no slouch, the next iteration is going to be better.

Given the mixed bag I've seen in terms of hardware quality (e.g., freezing, restarts, etc), it also makes me question Samsung's reliability for producing these things.

With all things, my preference is to always try and skip the first generation, if you can withhold the temptation. =)

It's already May. It's about 5 more months till the next announcement of the N10 is out. Every day you spend pondering the question is definitely another day that makes picking up the current N10 less worthwhile.

Reactions: atg284 and samwheat

mrruin

Aug 6, 2010
You can always wait for the next big thing which most of the time will be much better. The question you have to ask yourself is if you need the hardware now or not. If you DO need it, there is no point in waiting. You said it yourself, 5 months till the announcement and who knows how long till the next tablet will be availalbe to buy. In tech world that is a long time to wait.

In my opinion right now is a good time to buy mobile hardware (phone or tablet). Current hardware can run anything that's existing on the web and in the media world (HD streams, HD movies, etc etc). I do not see a dramatic web/content development coming that will push current hardware beyond its limits. It was very different a few months ago before current quad core chips and potent dual cores (in the case of the Nexus 10) made an appearence.

Gaming may be a different animal, but then again this depends on how you plan to use your tablet.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
You can always wait for the next big thing which most of the time will be much better. The question you have to ask yourself is if you need the hardware now or not. If you DO need it, there is no point in waiting. You said it yourself, 5 months till the announcement and who knows how long till the next tablet will be availalbe to buy. In tech world that is a long time to wait.

In my opinion right now is a good time to buy mobile hardware (phone or tablet). Current hardware can run anything that's existing on the web and in the media world (HD streams, HD movies, etc etc). I do not see a dramatic web/content development coming that will push current hardware beyond its limits. It was very different a few months ago before current quad core chips and potent dual cores (in the case of the Nexus 10) made an appearence.

Gaming may be a different animal, but then again this depends on how you plan to use your tablet.

In my mind, many of us don't need a tablet. We justify wanting a tablet, but definitely not needing it. This is why I told OP, if he can wait, wait it out.

The next iteration is likely going to see improvements in the screen as well (e.g., maybe higher contrast ratio), etc.

5 months isn't too long. Just stop visiting the N10 forums. Problem solved. :D

firesoul453

Dec 17, 2009
:))))

beware of tegra 4 ... better ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIL-RjLUMw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

search before talk

the only little future of this tablet stays in the developers work ... if they want to

Why would you post such a horribly done comparison? All you do is hate on the nexus 10 and yet you use one all the time apparently.

but anyway

Thanks everyone. I definitely don't need a 10" tablet (especially since I do have a nexus 7) but am certainly wanting one. but I guess I better wait for the next tablet to come out. I was hoping for a new tablet announced at google IO but am not surprised to not see one announced. I'm just impatient lol.

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
I bought one last week and will get it today. I couldn't decide for a long time and it out of stock here anyway. Atm there's nothing better in the market. And even though the Tablet Z is tempting as well it's not a Nexus.
I own an N7 as well by the way but I wanted a 10" tablet again because it works better for certain things (e.g. PDF)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mustbepbs

Nov 19, 2011
I don't understand why people are saying there's going to be an announcement in 5 months. Just because the thing will have been out for a year doesn't equal a refresh, and there were tons of rumors floating around for a new Nexus 7 at Google I/O and that never happened.

If you tell yourself you can wait, you'll be waiting for the rest of your life because technology moves and keeps moving. There's always going to be something better, and better is always in the eye of the beholder. Just because a new version of a tablet gets released doesn't all of a sudden make your perfectly good tablet any less great, and it certainly doesn't break it in any way.

If you can utilize a bigger tablet and want it now, just get it. Your circumstances and needs are way different than people here, and the people here are always going to tell you there's another one coming around the corner. Which there's absolutely no proof of anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    - sharper screen ( better colours ) - ipad4
    - sound - better on ipad 4
    - battery - better ipad

someone else ?

what nexus haves better that other device non nexus ? besides that ultra lighting fast update 4.3 after a year ...

im starting to not feel proud anymore of my Car gps nexus 10 device

If you have so much complains and think iPad 4 is better why don't you sell your Nexus and buy an iPad?! That's seriously becoming ridiculous!! We're talking if performance will hold up, not if it's better than X device or Y device!!! It's better suited for some people needs, and obviously, if you wanted a GPS, why didn't you invest only a 1/5 of what you invested for a REAL GPS, it's a different niche bro. You can buy a Nexus 7 to read books, but it will not beat a Kindle for that task, however with a Kindle you won't be able to listen to music. See? Now I know you'll come with your answer "iPad 4 is better and do the same and even more blah blah blah", like if I cared. I bought a Nexus 10 because I wanted a Nexus 10 and not an Asus Transformer Infinity. Dude, Nexus 10 is a developer device with some amazing specs and great things for non-dev people.

Do you like iPad 4 screen more than Nexus 10? Oh sorry. I prefer my Nexus 10 screen. That's the same discussion between Galaxy S4 and HTC One screens. iPad 4 screen is like S4, very vivid and bright colors, they look "WOW!" in your eyes, while Nexus 10 is like HTC One, they are more "dry" and "realistic" colors, they don't have the same "WOW!" effect, but are still good, specially when watching videos, many movies look way worse with vivid colors IMO.

Do you like iPad 4 sound more? Oh... I really enjoy front face speakers! What a difference!! After I used Nexus 10, my Galaxy S4 sound was something like very poor for me, so poor that made me want to change to a HTC One due to front speakers, but in the end I decided to keep it, it's not worth that trade, S4 is still a beast and I really liked it xD. There's a huge difference in front and back speakers, but again matter of opinion.

Do you think iPad 4 battery is better? Ah... I see... Well, the battery is good enough for me, never disappointed me! So I don't have anything to complain.

Now, will the performance hold up? This is not more a personal question, after all we're talking if the device will continue powerful in the next years. With my Xoom experience I can say that Nexus 10 holds potential to last long 3-4 years! My Xoom was still rocking very fast and good (until mom broke it screen :(, well I got a Nexus after it lol), and soon is becoming a 3 years device, it's showing its age, but let's not forget it was a Tegra 2 processor and 1Gig RAM. It wasn't able to run 1080p back the time I wanted. Nexus 10 can hold all my videos with no lag at all. So I think that if it don't continue with official support, let's not forget what I said earlier: this is a DEV device!! So we'll see more ROMs and good ROMs :D.

That's it.
    ~Lord
    1lF9TOR.jpg
    it s not worth it .

for compare

Dumbest thing I've ever read. Although not surprising from reading your previous comments.

This thing has a dual core A15 processor, nothing like the quad core A9s that people seem to think are better. Plus, the GPU is nothing to scoff at either. This thing will be around for a long time. I mean, hell, look at the XOOM. That thing has been around forever and even got JB.
    I don't understand why people are saying there's going to be an announcement in 5 months. Just because the thing will have been out for a year doesn't equal a refresh, and there were tons of rumors floating around for a new Nexus 7 at Google I/O and that never happened.

If you tell yourself you can wait, you'll be waiting for the rest of your life because technology moves and keeps moving. There's always going to be something better, and better is always in the eye of the beholder. Just because a new version of a tablet gets released doesn't all of a sudden make your perfectly good tablet any less great, and it certainly doesn't break it in any way.

If you can utilize a bigger tablet and want it now, just get it. Your circumstances and needs are way different than people here, and the people here are always going to tell you there's another one coming around the corner. Which there's absolutely no proof of anyway.
    its should reduce the power ... i hope you are not dreaming that google make an perfect device to not buy another one for 5 years ... Dont be naive !

they will go down with this market strategy and i think it s a healty thinking for all bussiness players..

this future proof ideea its wrong from the start ...
    who belives that nexus or another device its made to keep forever are wrong, like this fanatic nexus 10 lovers above..

consider that xoom or other device that last more than 2 years in the field are a very bad mistake from the producers ...

1. future proof
    and
    2. build quality

are 2 different things
    mr. old one Rirere ,please learn this and open your mind !
    Nexus 10 its a great ideea but badly suported from the producers and bad build quality ... from my point of view

Troller gonna troll. OK back on topic...