How to root kindle fire any version (including 8.4.6)

Search This thread

Board373

Jul 24, 2009
Ah, I agree about that and it's why I hate being uncertain if my OTA blocking works because I'd hate to be stuck with an update that finally breaks the rooting exploit or something of that sort. That said, however, from what I've read the 8.9" Fire HD doesn't need a factory cable to enter fastboot. No confirmation on my end of that, as I've yet to need to use fastboot and thus haven't tried it.

I do know, however, that KFFirstAide's method of rooting with the latest version of the software (downloaded from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 ) worked flawlessly on 8.4.3 for me. And those who tried the older version on 8.4.3 didn't report any bricking or anything of that sort, simply that the process completed but did not successfully root. I would assume, but certainly not guarantee or suggest to know with any certainty, that it puts the risk of bricking in the event it can't root the firmware version down to a low percentage. It may be worth attempting. But I definitely see why you're worried about it; I'd be hesitant, as well.

Good luck, and I hope someone who's had experience with 8.4.6 can come along and offer you some solid answers. I'd definitely suggest blocking OTA updates when you regain root, though. With OTA blocked, you can still manually download any updates you want (preferably after seeing whether it's capable of being re-rooted) and install them via usb, whenever you wish.

Did renaming the otacerts file seem to work for you? Nothing pushed through recently?

sonicanomaly

May 31, 2013
Did renaming the otacerts file seem to work for you? Nothing pushed through recently?
So far, so good, but I've only had it for a maximum of three hours on wifi while not using it and that was a few days ago. The unrooted device on the home network hasn't yet been pushed to 7.4.6, though, so I don't think the update has hit us yet and so I can't be certain. I do know, however, that I googled around and found that sometimes renaming it doesn't work properly. I followed an example given to obfuscate the name as much as possible and renamed it to oGtOaAcWeArYts.bak because the suggestion was that while an unmatched extension may be ignored it shouldn't ignore an unmatched file name. I've also used DroidWall in whitelist mode to only allow the necessary apps access to the internet, but I had to end up allowing kernel and a couple of other Amazon ones that I fear may be related to updates due to weird bugs caused by blocking them. But again, unfortunately, no solid idea yet as to whether it has worked.

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
I would think it works, I'll test it later this week. I'm running cm10.1 atm.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: boris_m80

Board373

Jul 24, 2009
I would think it works, I'll test it later this week. I'm running cm10.1 atm.

In your experience if it didn't "work" would it just not successfully achieve root or would it possible do some form of bricking requiring a factory cable? (I know your not responsible either way I am just curious ;) ) Thanks

Reactions: Brandonrz

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
In your experience if it didn't "work" would it just not successfully achieve root or would it possible do some form of bricking requiring a factory cable? (I know your not responsible either way I am just curious ;) ) Thanks

If the exploit was patched it wouldn't do anything, because it wouldn't have assess to the system. If it wasn't patched, then it should just root the device. It doesn't delete or modify anything except root access.

Board373

Jul 24, 2009
Root works on 8.4.6

Just wanted to post an update that this root method works flawlessly for the 8.4.6 update as well :D

Big thanks to Brandonrz for the post and continued support!!!!

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
Finally changed op. Lol, took me 5 minutes :/

Tronar

Jul 19, 2011
Palma
Just wanted to post an update that this root method works flawlessly for the 8.4.6 update as well :D

Big thanks to Brandonrz for the post and continued support!!!!

I can confirm that. After I had shutdown my newly arrived kindle and booted it up again it did some updates and automatically rebooted twice. I checked the version number after that and the result was 8.4.6_user_4620220

I then followed the instructions on page 1 of this thread to the letter and my kindle is now fully rooted without any hickups or problems. So THANK YOU Brandonrz for your easy tutorial.

So if anybody isn't sure, the method described definitely works for a previously unrooted 8.4.6.

My bigger issue now is that there is a lot of contradicting information in the threads about how to install TWRP or any other recovery on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 with 8.4.6.

Some seem to have bricked their system by using FireFlash and choosing to go back to the 8.1.4 bootloader. Others seem to have bricked their device by using the option to flash the old 8.1.4 bootloader. And then there seem to be people that successfully got TWRP 2.6.0.0 to run on their system, but unfortunately they don't share their method. Another thing that worries me is that the latest 2nd bootloader I was able to find is still version 8.4.3. So I am not feeling very comfortable using the 8.4.3 for my 8.4.6 system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Board373

Jul 24, 2009
I can confirm that. After I had shutdown my newly arrived kindle and booted it up again it did some updates and automatically rebooted twice. I checked the version number after that and the result was 8.4.6_user_4620220

I then followed the instructions on page 1 of this thread to the letter and my kindle is now fully rooted without any hickups or problems. So THANK YOU Brandonrz for your easy tutorial.

So if anybody isn't sure, the method described definitely works for a previously unrooted 8.4.6.

My bigger issue now is that there is a lot of contradicting information in the threads about how to install TWRP or any other recovery on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 with 8.4.6.

Some seem to have bricked their system by using FireFlash and choosing to go back to the 8.1.4 bootloader. Others seem to have bricked their device by using the option to flash the old 8.1.4 bootloader. And then there seem to be people that successfully got TWRP 2.6.0.0 to run on their system, but unfortunately they don't share their method. Another thing that worries me is that the latest 2nd bootloader I was able to find is still version 8.4.3. So I am not feeling very comfortable using the 8.4.3 for my 8.4.6 system.

I found the same collection of conflicting and generally unverified methods for TWRP. It was enough to make me back away from attempting this and I instead settled on installing Nova Launcher and Home Switcher to make the Fire as "Android" as possible. Good luck on figuring this out. If you do come across a reliable method please post it back here as I am sure many would be interested.

Reactions: Tronar

Tronar

Jul 19, 2011
Palma
I found the same collection of conflicting and generally unverified methods for TWRP. It was enough to make me back away from attempting this and I instead settled on installing Nova Launcher and Home Switcher to make the Fire as "Android" as possible. Good luck on figuring this out. If you do come across a reliable method please post it back here as I am sure many would be interested.

Yeah, this is a recurring issue on the whole android rooting thing no matter which device.

People invest a lot of time and energy to develop perfect How-To guides. Which is great and very helpful and I don't want to diminish that in any way.

But then a minor update comes along and another update and another update and somewhere along the way the person stops updating their How-To and suddenly everything turns from a simple "just follow every step in the instructions to the letter" into a big mess. Where the best outcome are just hours over hours that need to be invested to find the right way for your personal case or the worst outcome is a solidly bricked device. Plus you never know when you don't find any specific information for your case if the reason for that is just the fact that your version is just brand new and nobody has had any experience with it yet or if there are no problems reported because the changes are irrelevant and you can keep following the instructions to the letter. Plus the web gets filled up with many slightly different How-Tos each of them usually working fine for one specific mix of versions and failing for many other possible mixes.

I have to admit that I don't have a solution for that at the moment, but this is the fourth time I am running into that problem. For my Desire Z, for my HTC One X, for my HTC One S and now for my kindle... I think it would be great to find a way to organize all the information in a more efficient way. Kind of like a tree where the branches lead to the different possible versions of the tools and the devices involved.

If I should find a reliable methode I will definitely post the link and report my personal experience applying it.

Last edited:

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
Yeah, this is a recurring issue on the whole android rooting thing no matter which device.

People invest a lot of time and energy to develop perfect How-To guides. Which is great and very helpful and I don't want to diminish that in any way.

But then a minor update comes along and another update and another update and somewhere along the way the person stops updating their How-To and suddenly everything turns from a simple "just follow every step in the instructions to the letter" into a big mess. Where the best outcome are just hours over hours that need to be invested to find the right way for your personal case or the worst outcome is a solidly bricked device. Plus you never know when you don't find any specific information for your case if the reason for that is just the fact that your version is just brand new and nobody has had any experience with it yet or if there are no problems reported because the changes are irrelevant and you can keep following the instructions to the letter. Plus the web gets filled up with many slightly different How-Tos each of them usually working fine for one specific mix of versions and failing for many other possible mixes.

I have to admit that I don't have a solution for that at the moment, but this is the fourth time I am running into that problem. For my Desire Z, for my HTC One X, for my HTC One S and now for my kindle... I think it would be great to find a way to organize all the information in a more efficient way. Kind of like a tree where the branches lead to the different possible versions of the tools and the devices involved.

If I should find a reliable methode I will definitely post the link and report my personal experience applying it.

I had the HTC one s, very underated phone.

GermanJPL

May 4, 2013

Hello and good morning,

I have rooted two new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 with software version 8.4.6 with KF First Aide (One-click solution). Previously, I have the method of Brandonrz (this thread) successfully tried.

Then I played after the current hashcode of instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175 2ndBootloader and TRWP.

Now just CustomROM and flashed gapps zip by, I needed a total of about 30 minutes.

Provided, of course, that adb and fastboot drivers work properly.

mfg

J-P

Reactions: Tronar

Prokeke

Dec 9, 2011
Thanks @Brandonrz !
I finally able to root my device. Just one thing though..

When I run RunMe.bat by right clicking -> run as admin, it didn't work. somehow the "adb wait-for-device" command got skipped. Then I try running it manually via command line and it worked flawlesly :thumbup"

Oct 2, 2010
Not working for me.

I can't seem to get this to work on my GFs kindle.

I get the message in the CMD "Please look at your device & click to restore" but the kindle never asks us to actually restore.

The system cannot find the path specified, then states "successful, rebooting in 10 secs", but doesn't.

What are we doing wrong?

carlitos29

Jun 26, 2008
Manati
Same Here!!

^^^This. Same happening to me!! Please Help. I am on 8.4.6. Can ping kindle just fine get into fast boot but none of the commands seem to work it does nothing. Thanks for the help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To Start off... This is for windows and Linux! I had a lot of trouble at first trying to root. But as soon as i stumbled upon this 1 click root and the correct adb drivers i rooted fast and easy. My kindle was running 8.4.3 for this. But several people have came to me saying it works with 8.4.6 os. So what u want is the normal usb cable and windows/linux. And download the two files at the bottom.

Before you begin, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 8, open a Command Prompt & type ‘ping 4.2.2.2‘ then press enter. If you get replies, carry on with the rest of the guide. If not, you’ll have to carry out this small fix first! Skip to the bottom where it says "Still not work? :( Then move onto the "How to?..."
    How to?...
    1. ENABLE ADB IN SETTINGS UNDER SECURITY
    Step 1. Download all files provided in the post and keep kindle unplugged at all times
    Step 2. To be safe uninstall any other drivers for the kindle installed on the operating system (Win.) And Reboot.
    Step 3. Install the adb drivers provided in the .zip
    Step 4. Unzip the bin4ry tool on ur desktop and run the .bat file for windows as admin/.sh for Linux.
    Step 5. Keep kindle unplugged still... The menu u will be promoted with will ask you what is ur device type. Select normal.
    Step 6. Once you selected normal and the command prompt will say plug in your device. Do it.
    Step 7. It will say a bunch of stuff, once it stops spitting out lines, if your kindle isnt already. Unlock it.
    Step 8. Hopefully u get a window on ur kindle asking to restore and enter ur credentials. JUST PRESS RESTORE AT THE BOTTOM.
    IF U GET LOST... ON THE CMD JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE COMPUTER. If I helped press the like button:good:
    Still not work? :(
    Right click on My Computer/Computer (whichever you have) and choose Properties.
    Go into System and this will open System properties. Once here, select ‘Advanced System Settings’.
    Next choose ‘Environment Variables’ and under the ‘System Variables’ find ‘Path’.
    Select ‘Path’ with your mouse and choose ‘edit’.
    Scroll to the very end of the list in here. It’ll have various paths for different things, all separated by a semi-colon like this ‘;‘. Be careful not to change anything else here, simply paste in ‘;C:\Windows\System32‘. Note that there’s no space between ; and the C:\Windows\System32 and this statement isn’t case sensitive, it can be both upper and lowercase or a mix.
    Click OK & repeat until you’ve closed System Properties.
    Test by opening Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd OK, Win-key + R > cmd OK, or however you prefer to get there) & ping 4.2.2.2 again. If you see replies, congratz, you’re all set!
    Kindle Fire HD 8.9 ADB drivers.zip
    Bin4ry Root v30
    Reserved :highfive:
    2nd bootloader and TWRP for 8.4.3

To Start off... This is for windows and Linux! I had a lot of trouble at first trying to root. But as soon as i stumbled upon this 1 click root and the correct adb drivers i rooted fast and easy. My kindle was running 8.4.3 for this. So what u want is the normal usb cable and windows/linux. And download the two files at the bottom.

Before you begin, if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, open a Command Prompt & type ‘ping 4.2.2.2‘ then press enter. If you get replies, carry on with the rest of the guide. If not, you’ll have to carry out this small fix first! Skip to the bottom where it says "Still not work? :( Then move onto the "How to?..."
    How to?...

IF U GET LOST... ON THE CMD JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE COMPUTER. If I helped press the like button:good:
    Still not work? :(

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 ADB drivers.zip
    Bin4ry Root v30

Now that I'm rooted could you do a tutorial on how to add a 2nd bootloader plus TWRP using 8.4.3? It would be greatly appreciated by many of us beginners!
    Unfortunately it's not working for me. My Kindle is on 8.4.3 and has ADB enabled.I've installed the ADB drivers and rebooted my Windows 7 64-bit PC. I've pinged the tablet and get a response. I run the batch file as admin and press (1). I get some messages including "connect your device". A demon gets succesfully started at 5037. But after that I see nothing... My kindle's screen is unlocked, btw.

Any ideas?

Delete the bin4ry folder. And unzip it again, run option 1 while unplugged. Then plug in your kindle.

Sent from my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD via T-T Hd
    Unfortunately it's not working for me. My Kindle is on 8.4.3 and has ADB enabled.I've installed the ADB drivers and rebooted my Windows 7 64-bit PC. I've pinged the tablet and get a response. I run the batch file as admin and press (1). I get some messages including "connect your device". A demon gets succesfully started at 5037. But after that I see nothing... My kindle's screen is unlocked, btw.

Any ideas?