[Q] new droid max. need root advice

Search This thread

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
New to the droid maxx, not to rooting. Previous phone was a droid RAZR maxx xt912 that was rooted. I am currently on the 12.7.7 update and have rooted using pwnmymoto. Where do I go from there? I have done some searching and I currently have the camera update waiting for install. I understand I need to unroot before taking OTAs to prevent boot loops. Id like to update fully and retain root but I am not sure where to go from where I'm at. Also is the kit Kat an official update? Is there a voodoo ota rootkeeper type app I gotta install to retain root?

Last edited:

jkhouw1

Aug 26, 2008
New to the droid maxx, not to rooting. Previous phone was a droid RAZR maxx xt912 that was rooted. I am currently on the 12.7.7 update and have rooted using pwnmymoto. Where do I go from there? I have done some searching and I currently have the camera update waiting for install. I understand I need to unroot before taking OTAs to prevent boot loops. Id like to update fully and retain root but I am not sure where to go from where I'm at. Also is the kit Kat an official update? Is there a voodoo ota rootkeeper type app I gotta install to retain root?

see HERE and HERE

read them carefully and you shouldn't have issues. Basically:

1) Root
2)Unlock boot loader
3)reflash camera 4.2.2 camera update (losing root)
4) SlapMyMoto (prep root pre 4.4 update)
5)take or install 4.4 update
6)SlapMyMoto (finalize root).

be sure all steps 1-4 work properly because there is no going back after step 5.

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
see HERE and HERE

1) Root
2)Unlock boot loader

be sure all steps 1-4 work properly because there is no going back after step 5.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! If in the future I ever need to wipe my phone while on kitkat, I'd there a root exploit in the works for kitkat yet? I don't want to have to wipe my phone in the future an lose my root. Also I keep reading about system/write access an only accessing it in recovery. I mostly root to run titanium backup to backup and restore my app data and I also use root for an ad blocker cud I hate ads in YouTube on mobile. Is the system/write access going to interfere with either of those? And one last question; what is the best way to get tethering to work. On my RAZR maxx I used to use the entitlement check hack.

jkhouw1

Aug 26, 2008
if you do a factory reset you won't loose root. If you do a FXZ or full system restore on kitkat you WILL loose root with no way to get it back.

System/write doesn't interfere with anything.

tether entitlement hack doesn't work in KitKat - use this method

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
if you do a factory reset you won't loose root. If you do a FXZ or full system restore on kitkat you WILL loose root with no way to get it back.

System/write doesn't interfere with anything.

tether entitlement hack doesn't work in KitKat - use this method

Thanks a million again! Sorry for being such a pain. One more question: i d like to take advantage of features I didn't have before, like Google wallet. Is it possible for tap to pay to work on kitkat now? Everything I've read doesn't give a perfectly clear yes or no answer.

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
Okay, so I got all the downloads I need to start. Before I go any further, I just wanna be clear of the process:
1. Use rsd lite to flash my Maxx to the 12.15.15 OTA update.
2. Now that I am bone stock, no root, I then follow the directions in this link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49477129&postcount=320[Linky
3. copy the 4.4 ota update.zip file onto the root of the storage, and then reboot the phone, and let it take the 4.4 update, and then i will be fully rooted on 4.4 no issues right?

EDIT:
When I try to flash 4.2.2 12.15.15 in rsdlite 6.1.4 and 6.1.5, it fails instantly, deleted the getvar line from the xml and now it fails at gpt.bin
edit 2: nevermind. figured it out. if anyone else has this problem, when you delete the getvar line, make sure the next line that takes it's place doesnt have any spaces before the < (it will line up with the rest of the < lines.)

Last edited:

jkhouw1

Aug 26, 2008
I didn't see that you said you had removed write protection. Be SURE THAT YOU HAVE before going any further. Be sure to use slapmymoto BEFORE taking OTA and that it ran with no errors issues.

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
I didn't see that you said you had removed write protection. Be SURE THAT YOU HAVE before going any further. Be sure to use slapmymoto BEFORE taking OTA and that it ran with no errors issues.

I have had a lot of issues today. i am finally on the right track to getting updated. I had to run the rockmymoto with all the telnet stuff (ended up using puttytel cuz i had problems with impactor) and then had it fail the first time i tried to run MotoWpNoMo (i think i took too long to hit grant superuser access) ran MotowpnoMo again, and it worked, after running adb command, I am now showing 0. I just finished rebooting my phone after running rsd lite again with 12.15.15. About to run slapmymoto and update to 4.4

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
SUCCESS!! I am now rooted on 4.4! Thanks a ton for all the help you gave! I'll be sure to help others if they are encountering some of the same problems as I was,

Y_Yan_C

Jan 25, 2010
Waterloo
see HERE and HERE

1) Root
2)Unlock boot loader

so so far if I have not gain write protection bypass at 4.2.2 and updated to 4.4, there is no way to root my device yet right?

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
so so far if I have not gain write protection bypass at 4.2.2 and updated to 4.4, there is no way to root my device yet right?

I have just freshly rooted mine, and from what I have learned, no. You cannot. You have to bypass the write protection BEFORE updating to 4.4. You root 4.2.2, (12.15.15) bypass the write protection, then reflash 4.2.2 (12.15.15) the write protection stays bypassed, then you run some commands, update ota to kitkat, then run some adb shell commands, and you're rooted.

Reactions: Y_Yan_C

rboutin2

Nov 3, 2010
One last question: I am getting evrything reinstalled on my new Droid Maxx. I like a clean storage, so can i delete the following off the storage without affecting my root?:

.adobepassdb2
.adobepassdb_2-journal
classes.dex
install.sh
install-recovery.sh
SlapMyMoto.jar
su

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have just freshly rooted mine, and from what I have learned, no. You cannot. You have to bypass the write protection BEFORE updating to 4.4. You root 4.2.2, (12.15.15) bypass the write protection, then reflash 4.2.2 (12.15.15) the write protection stays bypassed, then you run some commands, update ota to kitkat, then run some adb shell commands, and you're rooted.