[Q] Sending SMS emoji through hangouts

Search This thread

bduke97

Jul 2, 2014
Hi,
I'm trying to switch my SMS app on my GS4 from what came with my phone to hangouts. Currently when I send an emoji through the built in sms app it is sent as MMS instead of sms (it switchs as soon as i type an emoji) which is fine with me. But then I go to start using hangouts for SMS and I type an emoji and the recipient gets nothing. Please help. I would like to switch.

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Hi,
I'm trying to switch my SMS app on my GS4 from what came with my phone to hangouts. Currently when I send an emoji through the built in sms app it is sent as MMS instead of sms (it switchs as soon as i type an emoji) which is fine with me. But then I go to start using hangouts for SMS and I type an emoji and the recipient gets nothing. Please help. I would like to switch.

I'm not sure why it does it but for some reason in certain versions of sms apps with Samsung phones it defaults to mms instead. I know there is an xposed app which changes default long messages back to sms vs mms. I use hangouts as well but it doesn't give me that issue. Then again I'm on an S3

Edit: have you changed the default messaging app to hangouts inside settings within hangouts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

bduke97

Jul 2, 2014
Yes I have tried changing the default app within in hangouts. And the sending via MMS doesn't bother me. If it could fix it I'll send them through MMS inside hangouts if there were a way.

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Yes I have tried changing the default app within in hangouts. And the sending via MMS doesn't bother me. If it could fix it I'll send them through MMS inside hangouts if there were a way.

I don't know why it's doing that. I'm a little confused myself

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Hi,

Try using the S5 SecMms_blue.apk.. It allows you to send emoji's through sms.. Just find your carriers or if your international based use theirs..

bduke97

Jul 2, 2014
Just find it somewhere and install as a regular app. I'm not rooted nor plan on rooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Just find it somewhere and install as a regular app. I'm not rooted nor plan on rooting.

Umm.. yea then you will not be able to accomplish what you want.. I know thats some Messaging apps use wifi to send pics, but the other person needs to have the same app..

joshuamink

Apr 21, 2010
Yeah def check out the xposed module. I think this is ridiculous. I know in the newest version of hangouts in the bottom left hand corner you can click and change back and forth between the two but if you add emoji it might not give you that option. It does me, but I'm running a rooted Moto Droid Mini.

bduke97

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah def check out the xposed module. I think this is ridiculous. I know in the newest version of hangouts in the bottom left hand corner you can click and change back and forth between the two but if you add emoji it might not give you that option. It does me, but I'm running a rooted Moto Droid Mini.

I still get the option to change between hangouts and SMS in the bottom left corner like you.