One stop FAQ thread and Root guide..Noob Friendly ( all questions go here )

Search This thread

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Noob Friendly Q & A & Stock ROM FAQs

I would like to give a big shout out to.. @Soryuu . He has added a great Stock ROM FAQs section to this thread. Please Thank Him, as he has covered a lot of questions I've seen asked by unrooted users..and without his support. This thread would not be moving ahead....

This thread is for all members and any questions you may have..... roms/kernels/recovery/root/bootloops/etc.

Please.... if you can answer a question, do it respectfully. No Flaming will be Tolerated...

This thread is an attempt to clean up the Q & A section and in so doing...create an encyclopedia like thread for new members looking for answers to questions that have been asked and answered before.

I'm going to include a rooting guide soon as well as a how to for flashing roms.. Let's make this a Success..

Thanks...
I would like to Thank the following members for their Support
@Soryuu
@eushaun99
I would also like to Thank these members from the E4GT forum
@jdsingle76 ... For his support, guidance, and patience when I first joined XDA...
@micmars ... For making me laugh..:p and his support as I learn...
@BluesRulez ... For making the thread in the E4GT forum that made me want to make this thread and all his contributions to that forum...
@ktempleton ... For his support when I made a SlimBean Q&A for his ROMs..( almost unneeded because they are so well built...:good:
@Stryke_the_Orc ... For his support and contributions in the E4GT forum. That makes me want to be more helpful...
@bilgerryan ... For his support and contributions in the E4GT forum. That shows me how much a single person can contribute...
And about ten others I can't remember...Thanks Everybody...

Last edited:

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Ok..So you have decided to root you're Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p-7510 Wi-Fi only)on ICS 4.0.4

In this short guide. I will be explaining how to install a custom recovery and root you're p-7510 Wi-Fi only 10.1 tab on ICS 4.0.4

This is the method I personally used... But be aware... when doing such things..there is always a risk !!... I , nor XDA take any responsibility if your device becomes a shiny new coaster , explodes, or if your microwave runs away...

That being said... Let's get to it..

Ok.. first off. Watch this video by QBKing77 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeQ1ndwyM4&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jYeQ1ndwyM4
This is a great video to get familiar with Odin, as well as some useful tips from QBKing77.. Don't forget to Thank him... he makes great videos and has done a lot for the entire XDA Community.

After watching the video download this zip.. https://db.tt/8bEz54AY ... MD5=bdbadaae1044caa08d026a73d568f60e

This zip contains the necessary files to root you're device ( Odin, cwm recovery, and root zip ). You will need to extract the files from the zip..... ( I use 7zip ) but any zip program will work.

I suggest making the folder on you're desktop as QBKing77 suggest. Also make sure you have atleast a 60 percent charge on you're device.

First, you will need Windows computer. If you don’t have one, borrow a Windows laptop from your friend or family member.

Second, make sure you’ve installed Galaxy Tab 10.1 Windows drivers. Here

Third,put your Galaxy Tab 10.1 into ODIN download mode by holding down both Power Button and Volume Down buttons. Right after the Samsung logo shows, you will see two menus, let go of both buttons immediately and then hit Volume Up button, you should be in ODIN download mode.

Now.. Go ahead and run the odin program you extracted into a folder earlier. After it comes up, plug in the device. Odin com box should turn color ( yellow, for me ). If it doesnt light up..check drivers and cable. Make sure re-partition is NOT checked Leave everything else alone.

Click the pda box and find the cwm recovery tar that was in the extracted package. Load it. Now click start.

Wait until odin gives a green pass in the com box and now you have a custom recovery.:good: The device should auto reboot. You can now unplug the device.

After your device boots. Plug it back in to your pc and move the root zip over to your tab. Put it in root of sdcard..Dont put it in a folder or sub folder.

Now hold power and volume down again until samsung logo and again let go. This time hit volume down to pick recovery, then volume up to select it.

Once you are in ClockworkMod Recovery, choose “install zip from sdcard” (using Volume buttons) and hit the Power button.
Next, choose “choose zip from sdcard” and hit the Power button.
Now find root zip and select it (power button)
Pick yes and it will flash/install.
After it finishes. Go back to first page..(go back is at the bottom of the page your on)
Now pick reboot. Congrats..you are rooted.

I mainly wanted to give anybody trying to root.. the necessary files ( as most links for these are old and dead )..That being said, this recovery is old also( but works great for this particular goal of rooting ). After you have rooted I suggest installing a newer recovery via zip or mobile odin ( I will also list the steps for this later, when my PC is back up ) I prefer TWRP recovery. ( I will explain more about this recovery as well )

Ok everybody... I thought I would take the time today to explain TWRP recovery ( Team Win Recovery Project ) a little bit..for the new users.
It is a touch based recovery. So no button pushing like CWM. Which in my opinion is nice. It is also completely themeable , for those like myself that must always have everything looking like they want.
For those using it or wanting to use it with a device that requires a modem. I have noticed that it doesn't flash modems overly well on my Epic 4G Touch. But I do not know how well it works on the tab 10.1. It could be such a thing as it works well...since our tabs have a seperate kernel/recovery partition.Unlike my Epic.
If new to this recovery. I suggest reading the recovery thread OP and also installing it through CWM recovery in it's zip form.
  1. step 1.. Download the TWRP zip file and check the MD5...if available. This insures a good download.
  2. step 2.. Now boot into CWM recovery and for good measure..wipe Cache and Dalvik cache ( dalvik cache is under advanced )
  3. step 3.. Go to install zip from sdcard and select the TWRP zip and flash/install it.
After the flash is complete. Go to advanced and pick Reboot recovery...Thats it..Enjoy.
FYI.....Most up to date twrp is 2.7, you can find it in the development sections.

I take no credit for this method or the needed file. I just wanted to put them in one place and keep it up to date and active.

A newer version of Odin, if the one in the above zip doesn't work for you.I will attach it at the bottom of this post.

This is a link to chainfires blog..for supersu zip. If you dont know what this is for. Please search for an anwser before flashing anything.​

Attachments

• Odin307.zip
    453.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Reactions: eushaun99

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
Stock rom FAQ!

The complete FAQ for stock roms!​

Before I start, I'd like to give a massive thank you to @Gil81, who let me create and maintain this section of his thread - give all your thanks to him as he was the one who started this idea in the first place to provide everyone with a One Stop thread.
Also to @eushaun99, who's helped a hell of a lot in this thread and provided some knowledge I didn't even know before, as well as providing help to users when both GIl and I couldn't.

UPDATE: Sorry guys, but I'm going away again until the 11th! Any queries I could answer, please leave a comment and I'll update this portion of the thread :D

This is meant to serve as a complete guide to the stock roms on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. @Gil81 has all the comprehensive guides to rooting and flashing custom roms you'll need.
So who is this section of the One Stop FAQ for?
  • Those new to the tablet
  • Those who want to stick to stock
Let me know if there are any other questions to do with stock roms and I'll try answer them as best as I can and add them to this post.

Before anything, the first thing to do is clarify which model device you have.
  • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi and 3G enabled variant has the device model P7500 and has the device code p4
  • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi only variant has the device model P7510 and the device code p4wifi
  • The Galaxy Tab 10.1v Stock android variant for Vodafone has the device model P7100 and the device code p3
  • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Verizon has the device model SCH-I905 and the device code p4vzw

This section of the FAQ will mostly cater for the P75x0 variants, as I have absolutely no experience with the 10.1v, nor the American variants (though if someone is willing to supply information about them, I'll add it to this thread)
So, once you've got your device model, read on :D

All about stock firmwares​

1.) Is there an official Jelly Bean upgrade for this tablet? Or will there be one?

Sadly, no. Samsung dropped Jelly Bean support for its first gen tablets (except the 7.7 and the Tab plus) some time back. However, earlier this year, Sammobile picked up on a rumour about the Tab 10.1 and a Jelly Bean build under testing. However, we've heard nothing since. Here's to hoping.

2.) Where can I get a stock rom from?

Right here. In the search box, type in either P7500 or P7510 depending on your model. You need to have an account in order to be able to access the download links.

3.) How can I update my tablet to ICS?

There are three ways.
One way is to use the Software Update option found in Settings -> About device. If you are able to upgrade and you aren't rooted, then this is one way. Better do it over wifi though because its a pretty hefty update.
Another way is to use Samsung Kies, the official PC program meant to be used in conjunction to Samsung devices. If you have Kies installed, just plug your Tab into your computer and if you have an update waiting, Kies will automatically tell you. Again, you can't be rooted for Kies to work properly.
The third way is doing it manually.

Please read the corresponding instructions VERY carefully! Messing up something with Odin can go horribly wrong. If you don't want to use those articles/feel unsafe about doing so, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

And any firmware, as long as its for your device, can be used- any stock rom can be used in these guides given above.
A nice video to demonstrate how Odin's used to flash the tablet (for both models) can be seen here.

Common issues on stock 4.0.4​

4.) I notice quite a lot of battery drain using my tablet on ICS. What's going on?

What's been discovered is that there are certain wakelocks in the kernel keeping the tablet awake, and stopping it from going into Deep Idle mode. These wakelocks also seem to be draining battery in the background by keeping the CPU awake (and apparently at max clock speed- 1Ghz- as well)...
There are a few fixes.
P7500 owners can look here for the best fix and an explanation as to what's going on.
P7510 owners sadly don't have the same fix, however, do read that link to see what's going on and try this as well and see if that improves anything.

5.) The Youtube app's really laggy. What's causing this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra
Yes, its the Tegra 2 processor inside our tablet. While good for games, sadly, its horrible at video playback. Its has trouble decoding HD videos from the web.

6.) How come my tablet can't play HD .avis or .mkvs easily?

Again, its a case of the Tegra 2 not being able to play high quality videos well enough for standard use. There is seemingly no fix for this, but the workaround is to install a third-market video player and run with it.

Stock applications​

7.) I don't use some of the apps preinstalled on the stock rom. How can I get rid of them?

Some pre-loaded applications are uninstallable by default. These include:
  • Swype
  • Polaris Office
  • Zinio (magazine client, in Reader's Hub)
  • Kobo (ebook reader, Reader's Hub)
  • Press Reader (newspaper reader, Reader's Hub)
  • Reader's Hub
  • Aurora2 (live wallpaper)
  • Blue Sea (live wallpaper)
  • Holo Spiral (live wallpaper)

If you want to uninstall any other apps that you don't use then you have to root first then use an app like Titanium or Root Explorer to delete them.

8.) I've accidentally deleted an apk that I desperately need back. What should I do?

This applies to the apps that are readily uninstallable listed above, although this may also apply to system apks.

Unfortunately, flashing a stock rom over your current one does not restore the apk. In fact, when you boot up you tablet, chances are nothing will have changed.
To fix this, you need to do a factory reset. Which means you'll need to do a backup of all your data and files and then wipe the tablet.

I'm not entirely sure why this happens so if someone could fill me in on this I'll add this into this section.

9.) The stock rom lags too much! What can I do?

Sadly, yeah, the stock rom does lag a lot.
For the best answer to this question, well, take a look at Gil's guide above and there you'll find all manner of roms for Jelly Bean that will/should make things a whole lot smoother.
Having root on stock will allow you to:
  • Delete unneccesary system apps that are running in the background
  • Overclock the CPU by flashing a new kernel
  • Add other compatible tweaks and scripts to optimise the system.

USB connections​

10.) I've plugged in my tablet to my PC and I can see a red X on the battery icon. What does this mean?

Don't panic - this is meant to happen. USB charging on the tablet's been disabled due to the slow speed. It doesn't mean you have a connection problem or anything.

11.) After upgrading to official ICS, my USB connections don't work! What next?

Take a look at this thread for one solution to this problem, as discovered by @KrimsonFL (and give thanks to him) - if any other fixes arise I'll post them here.

This post will constantly be updated with any questions I see in the Q&A forum that I think will be useful to all users. So stay tuned as this list grows ;)

Last edited:

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
I like this idea... Would a stock rom FAQ help as well?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

I can't see how it would hurt...right.

If you want,since this thread is still on the first page...add some useful FAQs that you think members need to know and I'll give credit to you in the op...as well as point it out to members seeing this thread for the first time.

I'm in the e4gt forum all the time..and I can not even begin to tell you the success of this kind of thread over there. It really is a great resource..
Thanks for helping..

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Here is problem this message always showing on screen , tab is working fine if i change other launcher other than default this message disappear,
I already flashed this with odin this problem still there,

OK...I need some more info. What device do you have..p4wifi,p4,etc... Also what you flashed with Odin and how...what is you're current set up..
Let me know and I'll try to get ya sorted out..

I moved this thread because I'm trying to start a Q&A thread for all questions...Since members aren't using it...I've decided not to post anywhere but here. Sorry if this is an inconvenience... But this kind of thread should be stickied in every forum and I'm going to make it work here...if it kills me..Lol.

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
I can't see how it would hurt...right.

If you want,since this thread is still on the first page...add some useful FAQs that you think members need to know and I'll give credit to you in the op...as well as point it out to members seeing this thread for the first time.

I'm in the e4gt forum all the time..and I can not even begin to tell you the success of this kind of thread over there. It really is a great resource..
Thanks for helping..

Mate, something like this is needed in the Galaxy S forum :p
I'll see what things I can compile/collate about the stock roms (probably not so many things to do with root as I haven't gone to that with my tablet) and update this post/make a new one later... Will take me time though.

Reactions: Gil81

eushaun99

Feb 8, 2013
Subang Jaya
Great work @Gil81 and @Soryuu. Unfortunately I don't think this will do much help as not many people come here and those who ask questions don't really search. But I think you should get a mod to get this stickied so that everyone can see this easier.

And @Soryuu, you should probably use that fifth post of yours as the stock ROM FAQ or get a mod to push your post up to the third post.

I've subscribed to this thread and I'll help as much as I can to get this thing up and running. If there's any help just ask me and I'll try my best. :)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Reactions: Soryuu and Gil81

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Great work @Gil81 and @Soryuu. Unfortunately I don't think this will do much help as not many people come here and those who ask questions don't really search. But I think you should get a mod to get this stickied so that everyone can see this easier.

And @Soryuu, you should probably use that fifth post of yours as the stock ROM FAQ or get a mod to push your post up to the third post.

I've subscribed to this thread and I'll help as much as I can to get this thing up and running. If there's any help just ask me and I'll try my best. :)

Thanks...I know I'm late to the game getting this started..but I also think it can be a great help to members...Especially with such knowledgeable members, such as you and @Soryuu , helping out..Thanks again.

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland

Thanks mate :D but this was all Gil's idea, I only offered to pitch in what I know :p
I'll probably get a mod to bump the post up, if not I'll just do some post rearranging :p

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Thanks mate :D but this was all Gil's idea, I only offered to pitch in what I know :p
I'll probably get a mod to bump the post up, if not I'll just do some post rearranging :p

I might have started it..but I got the idea from the e4gt forum. And don't cut yourself short. You have already made a great contribution and I see more to come...Thanks. FYI..I sent a pm to one of the mods to try and get you're post moved to post 3 and get the thread stickied..

Reactions: Soryuu

naveed70

Mar 26, 2010
OK...I need some more info. What device do you have..p4wifi,p4,etc... Also what you flashed with Odin and how...what is you're current set up..
Let me know and I'll try to get ya sorted out..

I moved this thread because I'm trying to start a Q&A thread for all questions...Since members aren't using it...I've decided not to post anywhere but here. Sorry if this is an inconvenience... But this kind of thread should be stickied in every forum and I'm going to make it work here...if it kills me..Lol.

Brother its SHV-E230L this is wifi and 3g supported, i got this tab in that condition so i cannot tell you history how this error happen. But when i got this it was on 4.1.1 firmware, so i took latest firmware which is 4.1.2 and flashed with odin. Everything ok while flashing no error also.
But that message still showing on screen,
Error message picture i attach here,
According to my idea this message is due to partition currupted, because its showing only 9.3 gb,
But as there is no pit file available. So my preference is to remove message atleast if possible
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-13-09-28-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-13-09-28-29.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Brother its SHV-E230L this is wifi and 3g supported, i got this tab in that condition so i cannot tell you history how this error happen. But when i got this it was on 4.1.1 firmware, so i took latest firmware which is 4.1.2 and flashed with odin. Everything ok while flashing no error also.
But that message still showing on screen,
Error message picture i attach here,
According to my idea this message is due to partition currupted, because its showing only 9.3 gb,
But as there is no pit file available. So my preference is to remove message atleast if possible
Thanks

Have you tried wiping cache and dalvik cache in recovery...

If yes..I would back up the device to a PC...and wipe sdcard..that corruption of the partition also makes me think maybe something in the sdcard that is corrupt..

naveed70

Mar 26, 2010
Have you tried wiping cache and dalvik cache in recovery...

If yes..I would back up the device to a PC...and wipe sdcard..that corruption of the partition also makes me think maybe something in the sdcard that is corrupt..

Yes brother i done that part,
Now the strange part is that after changing launcher not all few this error message disappear,

Launcher nova and apex showing this error message, but other launcher like launcher hd not showing this error message

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
Yes brother i done that part,
Now the strange part is that after changing launcher not all few this error message disappear,

Launcher nova and apex showing this error message, but other launcher like launcher hd not showing this error message

Hmmm...I'm stumped. Let me look around tonight and I'll get back with ya tomorrow..Sorry I couldn't be more help. But I'll keep looking.

naveed70

Mar 26, 2010
Hmmm...I'm stumped. Let me look around tonight and I'll get back with ya tomorrow..Sorry I couldn't be more help. But I'll keep looking.

No problem brother take your time meanwhile i will try to wipe sd, as you told wben i go to sroage place device bit hang on that place , i will try to wipe that and i will let you know after thanks for helping me

Gil81

May 2, 2013
Lincoln
No problem brother take your time meanwhile i will try to wipe sd, as you told wben i go to sroage place device bit hang on that place , i will try to wipe that and i will let you know after thanks for helping me

Alright...I'm tired...Lol.

I see that you're in the wrong forum...this also makes me wonder if you flash the correct firmware...If I was you. I would go to the correct forum and flash a ROM from there...10 to 1 that fixes you're issue..

If it doesn't...post in their q&a section. Somebody more familiar with you're device will more than likely have an answer.. But if nobody does..get back to me and I'll see what I can do..

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Good Job

Well put-together Gil. Great idea, and I'm certain it will be well managed. Thanks also for the shout-out. You have become an invaluable asset to the E4GT community. Keep up the good work my friend.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Noob Friendly Q & A & Stock ROM FAQs

I would like to give a big shout out to.. @Soryuu . He has added a great Stock ROM FAQs section to this thread. Please Thank Him, as he has covered a lot of questions I've seen asked by unrooted users..and without his support. This thread would not be moving ahead....

This thread is for all members and any questions you may have..... roms/kernels/recovery/root/bootloops/etc.

Please.... if you can answer a question, do it respectfully. No Flaming will be Tolerated...

This thread is an attempt to clean up the Q & A section and in so doing...create an encyclopedia like thread for new members looking for answers to questions that have been asked and answered before.

I'm going to include a rooting guide soon as well as a how to for flashing roms.. Let's make this a Success..

Thanks...
    I would like to Thank the following members for their Support
    @Soryuu
    @eushaun99
    I would also like to Thank these members from the E4GT forum
    @jdsingle76 ... For his support, guidance, and patience when I first joined XDA...
    @micmars ... For making me laugh..:p and his support as I learn...
    @BluesRulez ... For making the thread in the E4GT forum that made me want to make this thread and all his contributions to that forum...
    @ktempleton ... For his support when I made a SlimBean Q&A for his ROMs..( almost unneeded because they are so well built...:good:
    @Stryke_the_Orc ... For his support and contributions in the E4GT forum. That makes me want to be more helpful...
    @bilgerryan ... For his support and contributions in the E4GT forum. That shows me how much a single person can contribute...
    And about ten others I can't remember...Thanks Everybody...
    Stock rom FAQ!

The complete FAQ for stock roms!​

Before I start, I'd like to give a massive thank you to @Gil81, who let me create and maintain this section of his thread - give all your thanks to him as he was the one who started this idea in the first place to provide everyone with a One Stop thread.
    Also to @eushaun99, who's helped a hell of a lot in this thread and provided some knowledge I didn't even know before, as well as providing help to users when both GIl and I couldn't.

UPDATE: Sorry guys, but I'm going away again until the 11th! Any queries I could answer, please leave a comment and I'll update this portion of the thread :D

This is meant to serve as a complete guide to the stock roms on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. @Gil81 has all the comprehensive guides to rooting and flashing custom roms you'll need.
    So who is this section of the One Stop FAQ for?
    • Those new to the tablet
    • Those who want to stick to stock
    Let me know if there are any other questions to do with stock roms and I'll try answer them as best as I can and add them to this post.

Before anything, the first thing to do is clarify which model device you have.
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi and 3G enabled variant has the device model P7500 and has the device code p4
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi only variant has the device model P7510 and the device code p4wifi
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1v Stock android variant for Vodafone has the device model P7100 and the device code p3
    • The Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Verizon has the device model SCH-I905 and the device code p4vzw

This section of the FAQ will mostly cater for the P75x0 variants, as I have absolutely no experience with the 10.1v, nor the American variants (though if someone is willing to supply information about them, I'll add it to this thread)
    So, once you've got your device model, read on :D

All about stock firmwares​

1.) Is there an official Jelly Bean upgrade for this tablet? Or will there be one?

Sadly, no. Samsung dropped Jelly Bean support for its first gen tablets (except the 7.7 and the Tab plus) some time back. However, earlier this year, Sammobile picked up on a rumour about the Tab 10.1 and a Jelly Bean build under testing. However, we've heard nothing since. Here's to hoping.

2.) Where can I get a stock rom from?

Right here. In the search box, type in either P7500 or P7510 depending on your model. You need to have an account in order to be able to access the download links.

3.) How can I update my tablet to ICS?

There are three ways.
    One way is to use the Software Update option found in Settings -> About device. If you are able to upgrade and you aren't rooted, then this is one way. Better do it over wifi though because its a pretty hefty update.
    Another way is to use Samsung Kies, the official PC program meant to be used in conjunction to Samsung devices. If you have Kies installed, just plug your Tab into your computer and if you have an update waiting, Kies will automatically tell you. Again, you can't be rooted for Kies to work properly.
    The third way is doing it manually.

Please read the corresponding instructions VERY carefully! Messing up something with Odin can go horribly wrong. If you don't want to use those articles/feel unsafe about doing so, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

And any firmware, as long as its for your device, can be used- any stock rom can be used in these guides given above.
    A nice video to demonstrate how Odin's used to flash the tablet (for both models) can be seen here.

Common issues on stock 4.0.4​

4.) I notice quite a lot of battery drain using my tablet on ICS. What's going on?

What's been discovered is that there are certain wakelocks in the kernel keeping the tablet awake, and stopping it from going into Deep Idle mode. These wakelocks also seem to be draining battery in the background by keeping the CPU awake (and apparently at max clock speed- 1Ghz- as well)...
    There are a few fixes.
    P7500 owners can look here for the best fix and an explanation as to what's going on.
    P7510 owners sadly don't have the same fix, however, do read that link to see what's going on and try this as well and see if that improves anything.

5.) The Youtube app's really laggy. What's causing this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra
    Yes, its the Tegra 2 processor inside our tablet. While good for games, sadly, its horrible at video playback. Its has trouble decoding HD videos from the web.

6.) How come my tablet can't play HD .avis or .mkvs easily?

Again, its a case of the Tegra 2 not being able to play high quality videos well enough for standard use. There is seemingly no fix for this, but the workaround is to install a third-market video player and run with it.

Stock applications​

7.) I don't use some of the apps preinstalled on the stock rom. How can I get rid of them?

Some pre-loaded applications are uninstallable by default. These include:
    • Swype
    • Polaris Office
    • Zinio (magazine client, in Reader's Hub)
    • Kobo (ebook reader, Reader's Hub)
    • Press Reader (newspaper reader, Reader's Hub)
    • Reader's Hub
    • Aurora2 (live wallpaper)
    • Blue Sea (live wallpaper)
    • Holo Spiral (live wallpaper)

If you want to uninstall any other apps that you don't use then you have to root first then use an app like Titanium or Root Explorer to delete them.

8.) I've accidentally deleted an apk that I desperately need back. What should I do?

This applies to the apps that are readily uninstallable listed above, although this may also apply to system apks.

Unfortunately, flashing a stock rom over your current one does not restore the apk. In fact, when you boot up you tablet, chances are nothing will have changed.
    To fix this, you need to do a factory reset. Which means you'll need to do a backup of all your data and files and then wipe the tablet.

I'm not entirely sure why this happens so if someone could fill me in on this I'll add this into this section.

9.) The stock rom lags too much! What can I do?

Sadly, yeah, the stock rom does lag a lot.
    For the best answer to this question, well, take a look at Gil's guide above and there you'll find all manner of roms for Jelly Bean that will/should make things a whole lot smoother.
    Having root on stock will allow you to:
    • Delete unneccesary system apps that are running in the background
    • Overclock the CPU by flashing a new kernel
    • Add other compatible tweaks and scripts to optimise the system.

USB connections​

10.) I've plugged in my tablet to my PC and I can see a red X on the battery icon. What does this mean?

Don't panic - this is meant to happen. USB charging on the tablet's been disabled due to the slow speed. It doesn't mean you have a connection problem or anything.

11.) After upgrading to official ICS, my USB connections don't work! What next?

Take a look at this thread for one solution to this problem, as discovered by @KrimsonFL (and give thanks to him) - if any other fixes arise I'll post them here.

This post will constantly be updated with any questions I see in the Q&A forum that I think will be useful to all users. So stay tuned as this list grows ;)

Thanks...I know I'm late to the game getting this started..but I also think it can be a great help to members...Especially with such knowledgeable members, such as you and @Soryuu , helping out..Thanks again.
    I've moved the Stock ROM FAQ up to the fifth post, so now its easier to see!