Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ShadowAS1

Mar 12, 2011
Behind you
shadowas1.com
READ FIRST
Hey,
Welcome to this tut. It's been active for a few months now but there are some things many users and the dev's want to tell you.
1. DO NOT ask questions about when things are finished.
2. Before you ask an question use the SEARCH THIS THREAD button
3. Post tut related questions in THIS THREAD, so do NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THE DEV THREAD
4. Use the THANKS button when you get your answer.
5. Don't ask questions like "I've done everything but it doesnt work" we really can't help you with such a question cause we don't know where what goes wrong..

If your post is violating one of these "thread rules" (don't call then real rules...) then we'll just report your post. getting it deleted.. etc. etc..

For our "Wise" users here (i mean the ones who actually READ before they post) Don't go flame on users asking stupid questions just leave them allone and REPORT the post

Thanks & Enjoy.
ShadowAS1

Okay, to be clear. All this work is COPYRIGHTED By the devs, The TUT is copyrighted by me, so stop frigging CopyPastaing my tut.. . With other words.. ASK PERMISSION TO DO SO, Thanks[/B]

New in this update:
Added new FOTA

Disclaimer:
This stuff is still experimental, me, nor the devs will be responsible for any damage done to you, your phone or whatsoever, so USE AT OWN RISK

Warning:
Do NOT flash when you don't know what you're doing. It could BRICK your phone. And I will NOT support it when you screw up your phone.

FAQ
Q: It doesn't work I've done everything but it doesnt work
A: Do you even think we CAN answer the question if you ask it like that?

Q: My phone shuts down after 2 minutes, why?
A: It's an idle bug.. We're still looking for a solution

Q: When will GB be released, When will the modem drivers be finished.. etc..
A: WE DON'T KNOW! STOP ASKING THIS

What WORKS in this build
  • WiFi (+dhcp)
  • Market
  • 3D Games (some maybe not)
  • Launchers (tested TWLauncher, Zeam, LauncherPRO)
  • Audio (FULL Working now)
  • Video's (see my livestream.com example)

What does NOT work in this build
  • Modem (3G, Calls, ETC) (works partially on oleg's build we're still working on it)
  • Idle time (also known as the shutdown bug)
  • Sensors (Causes battery bug)
Supported BOOTLOADERS
S8500DDJE7_MAY
S8500JVKC1_MAR
S8500XXJD9_APR
S8500XXJEE_MAY
S8500XXJEF_JUN
S8500XXJF1_JUN
S8500XXJF4_JUL
S8500XXJH2_DEC
S8500XXJH2_NOV
S8500XXJH3_AUG
S8500XXJI3_FEB
S8500XXJI3_NOV
S8500XXJID_SEP
S8500XXJK2_MAY
S8500XXJL2_APR
S8500XXJL2_DEC
S8500XXJL2_MAR

What do we need?
Ok before we start. The tutorial is now 100% Rewritten. But you still need to read carefully
Notice
Clean out your ENTIRE bada storage first cause we will need almost everything of it

Notice2: This project is still in ALPHA Stage. So don't expect a fully awesome working version yet.

In this version all KNOWN fixes are implented except for root

1. Download all the needed files, when you've done so extract the ZIP with the zImage stuff in it and place it in you bada storage root. (you can extract the .001 with 7-zip)
(i made the Images URLS's because they're to big)

1b. Connect your phone and put it in Mass Storage mode

You should copy your files like the Images below

Bada Storage root:
http://ShadowAS1.com/badadroid/storageroot1.png

This should be inside your storage root:
http://ShadowAS1.com/badadroid/storageroot2.png

This should be inside your galaxyboot folder:
http://ShadowAS1.com/badadroid/storageroot3.png

So inside the sorage root should be your galaxyboot folder and the makext2img.sh
inside the galaxyboot folder should be zImage, SBL.bin and the .IMG file

2.Then you should shut down your phone and boot it in download mode:
Vol Down+Camera+Power and you will see DOWNLOAD MODE on the screen

3.Open up multiloader and take over my config here:
http://shadowas1.com/badadroid/multiloader.png
When you click port search the name "LISMORE" should/can popup next to the right COM port
Now click download and wait for it to finish

Okay, now your phone is ready for the first android run
Boot it by holding power+menu+vol up: (see image)
http://shadowas1.com/badadroid/IMG_0052.JPG

Then this should popup (after the SGS screen)
DO NEVER, ABSOLUTELY NEVER PULL OUT BATTERY OR TOUCH THE PHONE IN THIS PROCESS
http://shadowas1.com/badadroid/IMG_0050.JPG
This can take up to 5 minutes.

Now, Two things can happen
1. The phone boots bada
2. The phone shuts down

In any of this cases your phone is absolutely fine. If you have case 2 you can boot bada to check if everythings alright if you wish.
Assuming we all boot bada shut down the phone again

Boot android in the normal way by holding the Power and Call key

=====Removing Android from your bada partitions======
On request i add this one, In order to remove all android stuff put the "mkext2images-remove.sh" in your bada storage root and boot recovery mode again

Goodluck, ShadowAS1

Good Luck,
ShadowAS1

12-7: Added what (doesn't) work(s) list

10-7: Updated some stuff (FW list)

Last edited:

Zoloto

May 16, 2011
Great Guide!

But!

If some of you are having problems installing VMware due to processor requirements, we can still use the Ubuntu live CD and use gparted disk utility..

Also, we can also use a live CD version of gparted.. just search it at Google..

Reactions: i1011

mcmollo

Jun 10, 2011
Hi!

I have followed all the steps.
Now I'm in the First-time Run section and when I start Android (end call and then start call buttons) the screen flashes, then the Galaxy S screen appears. After 6-7 seconds, blank screen and... Samsung Wave and Bada screens with bada startup!

I saw other member in other post having the same issue, but he had still no answer.

Any idea?

lalu

May 16, 2008
Iași
Google Pixel 3a
Yeap, same here: XXJL2 provided in the tutorials.

I have a SanDisk 2GB class 4 microSD card and created a FAT16 primary partition (1GB) and a EXT2 primary partition (1GB).

Last edited:

mcmollo

Jun 10, 2011
You guys are on xxjl2 firmware right?

Yes. I repeated the tutorial 3 times, taking care of doing it exactly as you say. But Bada still loading after Galaxy screen.

Maybe compatibility problem with the SD card?.
Mine is KINGSTON MICRO SD HC 8GB CLASS 4

I created a FAT16 primary partition (4GB) and then the EXT2 partition (4GB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ FIRST
    Hey,
    Welcome to this tut. It's been active for a few months now but there are some things many users and the dev's want to tell you.
    1. DO NOT ask questions about when things are finished.
    2. Before you ask an question use the SEARCH THIS THREAD button
    3. Post tut related questions in THIS THREAD, so do NOT POST QUESTIONS IN THE DEV THREAD
    4. Use the THANKS button when you get your answer.
    5. Don't ask questions like "I've done everything but it doesnt work" we really can't help you with such a question cause we don't know where what goes wrong..

If your post is violating one of these "thread rules" (don't call then real rules...) then we'll just report your post. getting it deleted.. etc. etc..

For our "Wise" users here (i mean the ones who actually READ before they post) Don't go flame on users asking stupid questions just leave them allone and REPORT the post

Thanks & Enjoy.
    ShadowAS1

Okay, to be clear. All this work is COPYRIGHTED By the devs, The TUT is copyrighted by me, so stop frigging CopyPastaing my tut.. . With other words.. ASK PERMISSION TO DO SO, Thanks[/B]

New in this update:
    Added new FOTA

Disclaimer:
    This stuff is still experimental, me, nor the devs will be responsible for any damage done to you, your phone or whatsoever, so USE AT OWN RISK

Warning:
    Do NOT flash when you don't know what you're doing. It could BRICK your phone. And I will NOT support it when you screw up your phone.

FAQ
    Q: It doesn't work I've done everything but it doesnt work
    A: Do you even think we CAN answer the question if you ask it like that?

Q: My phone shuts down after 2 minutes, why?
    A: It's an idle bug.. We're still looking for a solution

Q: When will GB be released, When will the modem drivers be finished.. etc..
    A: WE DON'T KNOW! STOP ASKING THIS

What WORKS in this build
    • WiFi (+dhcp)
    • Market
    • 3D Games (some maybe not)
    • Launchers (tested TWLauncher, Zeam, LauncherPRO)
    • Audio (FULL Working now)
    • Video's (see my livestream.com example)

What does NOT work in this build
    • Modem (3G, Calls, ETC) (works partially on oleg's build we're still working on it)
    • Idle time (also known as the shutdown bug)
    • Sensors (Causes battery bug)
    Supported BOOTLOADERS
    S8500DDJE7_MAY
    S8500JVKC1_MAR
    S8500XXJD9_APR
    S8500XXJEE_MAY
    S8500XXJEF_JUN
    S8500XXJF1_JUN
    S8500XXJF4_JUL
    S8500XXJH2_DEC
    S8500XXJH2_NOV
    S8500XXJH3_AUG
    S8500XXJI3_FEB
    S8500XXJI3_NOV
    S8500XXJID_SEP
    S8500XXJK2_MAY
    S8500XXJL2_APR
    S8500XXJL2_DEC
    S8500XXJL2_MAR

What do we need?
    Ok before we start. The tutorial is now 100% Rewritten. But you still need to read carefully
    Notice
    Clean out your ENTIRE bada storage first cause we will need almost everything of it

Notice2: This project is still in ALPHA Stage. So don't expect a fully awesome working version yet.

In this version all KNOWN fixes are implented except for root

1. Download all the needed files, when you've done so extract the ZIP with the zImage stuff in it and place it in you bada storage root. (you can extract the .001 with 7-zip)
    (i made the Images URLS's because they're to big)

1b. Connect your phone and put it in Mass Storage mode

You should copy your files like the Images below

Bada Storage root:
    http://ShadowAS1.com/badadroid/storageroot1.png

This should be inside your storage root:
    http://ShadowAS1.com/badadroid/storageroot2.png

This should be inside your galaxyboot folder:
    http://ShadowAS1.com/badadroid/storageroot3.png

So inside the sorage root should be your galaxyboot folder and the makext2img.sh
    inside the galaxyboot folder should be zImage, SBL.bin and the .IMG file

2.Then you should shut down your phone and boot it in download mode:
    Vol Down+Camera+Power and you will see DOWNLOAD MODE on the screen

3.Open up multiloader and take over my config here:
    http://shadowas1.com/badadroid/multiloader.png
    When you click port search the name "LISMORE" should/can popup next to the right COM port
    Now click download and wait for it to finish

Okay, now your phone is ready for the first android run
    Boot it by holding power+menu+vol up: (see image)
    http://shadowas1.com/badadroid/IMG_0052.JPG

Then this should popup (after the SGS screen)
    DO NEVER, ABSOLUTELY NEVER PULL OUT BATTERY OR TOUCH THE PHONE IN THIS PROCESS
    http://shadowas1.com/badadroid/IMG_0050.JPG
    This can take up to 5 minutes.

Now, Two things can happen
    1. The phone boots bada
    2. The phone shuts down

In any of this cases your phone is absolutely fine. If you have case 2 you can boot bada to check if everythings alright if you wish.
    Assuming we all boot bada shut down the phone again

Boot android in the normal way by holding the Power and Call key

=====Removing Android from your bada partitions======
    On request i add this one, In order to remove all android stuff put the "mkext2images-remove.sh" in your bada storage root and boot recovery mode again

Goodluck, ShadowAS1

Good Luck,
    ShadowAS1

12-7: Added what (doesn't) work(s) list

10-7: Updated some stuff (FW list)
    Another post from Oleg from 21th January 2012

Original Text

Итак, видеодрайвер для S8530 мной написан, ушёл вчера для тестирования Доминику.
    Также Доминик закончил вчера с полным анализом протокола взаимодействия с модемом,
    значит скоро можно ждать рабочую версию библиотеки sec-ril для андроида на S8500(S8530)
    и следовательно, заработает GSM(3G) и GPS.
    Я занимаюсь сейчас исследованиями с S8600,очень занятный аппарат.

Translation:

The video driver for the S8530 is written by me and was send to Rebellos yesterday.
    Also yesterday Rebellos finished analyzing the modem protocol, which means soon we can await a working version of sec-ril library for Android on S8500 (S8530)
    After that GSM (3G) and GPS should work.

Again please correct me if something is wrong

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Latest post from Oleg today

Original Text:

Так как самого аппарата у меня нет, то мой видеодрайвер тестировал Доминик.
    Заработал, сейчас доделаем, чтобы правильно цвета показывал - и вот Вам и андроид на S8530.
    По поводу Цианогена - когда допилим полностью кернел на S8500/S8530, можно будет что угодно ставить, в том числе и циан.

Translation

Since I don`t have a S8530 device, Rebellos tested the videodriver.
    It worked and we are working on it so the colors are shown correctly by the device. There you have it - Android for the S8530.
    When it comes to Cyanogenmod - When the fully working kernel for S8500/S8530 is ready then you can do just about anything, which also means Cyanogen.

Pushing the thanks button doesn`t hurt ;)
    Alright, as promised here is the translation of the FAQ from Oleg:

Original link:

http://badablog.ru/forum/topic683start430.html-sid=8482949ac02dcd9335d67ca16a21d4df

Original Text:

Можно ли прошить android без использования JTAG?
    Мы уже нашли способ прошивки андроида на S8500 без JTAG, тоже начинаем тестировать.

Будет ли работать датчик приближения?
    Драйвер датчика proximity уже переписал, должен работать нормально.

Будет ли работать камера и вспышка?
    С камерами ещё придётся повозится, но думаю особых проблем на андроиде 2.3 не возникнет.

Что осталось ещё сделать?
    Из глобального: модем и загрузчик. Остальное - уже мелочи.

Уважаемый Олег, скажите, пожалуйста, когда, на ваш взгляд, вы сможете допилить модем?
    Коллеги, по поводу модема - точных сроков назвать не могу, сейчас пытаюсь декомпилисть бадовский кернел, который apps_compressed. Дешифровал, но 50МБ для кернела - многовато и тяжеловато.

За что отвечает модем? Сколько телефон будет держать заряд?
    Родной для s8500 модем просто даёт информацию о состоянии батареи.
    С неродным модемом телефон проживёт ровно столько, сколько и с родным. Родной модем мы допилим.

Сколько доступно оперативной памяти?
    Оперативки в S8500 по сравнению с I9000 меньше на 128MB:
    128MB oneDRAM + 256MB LPDDR у S8500.
    128MB oneDRAM + 384MB LPDDR у семейства Galaxy S.
    Это особенность процессора с индексом AB (S8500). Для андроида хватит

Хочу TouchWiz 4, можно ли использовать android от Galaxy SII для прошивки?
    TouchWiz 4 можно будет установить отдельно.

можно ли разогнать процессор в wave до 1,4 ГГц как в Galaxy S Plus?
    В Galaxy S Plus стоит Qualcomm 8255, а не Hummingbird и при повышении частоты такого прироста производительности как в snapdragon не заметите, только в тестах циферки изменятся.

Translation:

Is it possible to port Android without using JTAG?
    We already found a way to port Android on the Wave S8500 without JTAG. We already have begun to test it.

Will the proximity sensor work?
    I have already rewritten the proximity driver, so it should work normally.

Will the camera and the flash work?
    There is still work to do but I don`t think that there will be a lot of difficulties with Android 2.3

What is still left to do?
    Modem and (Launcher?) - everything else are just small-time things

Dear Oleg - from your point of view when will the modem be ready?
    when it comes to the modem, I am not able to tell specific dates.

How long will the battery hold out without recharging?
    The battery with the modified modem will hold out as long as with the original modem.

How big is the usable RAM?
    128MB oneDRAM + 256MB LPDDR - S8500.
    128MB oneDRAM + 384MB LPDDR - Galaxy S.
    That`s enough for Android.

I want to use TouchWiz 4, is it possible to port the Android version of the Galaxy SII?
    TouchWiz 4 can be installed separately.

Okay that`s it for the translation. I left some things out which I was not able to fully understand but the most important things are there, so that`s the progress so far guys. Well I have to say, I like what I hear and the most important thing is that the project is NOT DEAD, like some people here thought.
    If there are mistakes tell me ;)

And guys please push the Thanks button if you liked this post :)
    Q&A

phew...I just read the ENTIRE thread in about 4 hours. I just wanted to check what problems have occured and if there is a solution for those. While reading, I wrote down all those Questions that have been asked and their corresponding answers.

Maybe Shadow can take this small Q&A section to his tutorial (or link to it). If you have a question, please read the entire thread first, this is not due to myself being lazy but because many questions have been asked before and have already been answered more than once.

I want to thank all of you answering questions, even if those have been answered before. Of course I want to Thank ShadowAS1, Oleg_k and their developer team too, you are doing more than a great job on this and we all love you for that! Tell us if you need anything done, there are always people willing to help, who just don't know where to start.

For all of those who don't want to read every post before this one, here is my Q&A up to now:

Q: My WiFi ain't working but I followed all the steps, what should I do?
    A: Go to your wifi settings and pres volume up. Then choose advanced and set the IP stuff for your router. If it still won't work, install (copy to /data/app) "Wi.fi static" from http://www.mediafire.com/?edc30bp78w5ue7j and use this to configure your wifi. If it still won't work, try to deactivate Wifi, boot bada, deactivate wifi and then boot android again.

Q: I stay stuck at the Galaxy S logo or it boots bada after showing the Galaxy S logo
    A: Retry all the steps after the flashing part. This is an issue where the bootloader can not access the android files correctly.

Q: My apps wont install
    A: This is an permissions error. If you have CHMODDED everything as told and you are using the NEW zImage/FOTA you should be fine.

Q: Will I still be able to boot bada after using this tutorial?
    A: Yes, by using the FOTA in the tutorial (other bootloader might do as well), you can choose, which OS to boot by using the correct way to start (as described below)

Q: I followed the tutorial step by step several times, it still won't work
    A: Only mention your Problem, if you know what problem you have. Try the tutorial again, or wait for a new version. Noone can answer the question "I followed the tutorial and it does not work, why?".

Q: Does this tutorial work on firmware XY?
    A: Read the tutorial. There is a list of working firmwares. If it is not within those few, it might still work. Feel free to try and confirm. If it does not work, flash the bootloader too.

Q: I can not boot Android a second time after it worked once
    A: Do you have a Sandisk SD-card? There appears to be a filesystem problem which causes the corruption of the card. Use Gparted to "check" your ext2/3 partition and copy all 5 folders of the filesystem-folder to the partition again. Do not override newer files. Then repeat all CHMOD-commands and "sudo sync". Try ext3 instead of ext2 and shutdown using the end-call button and then select "shutdown". Wait until bada boots automatically before you do anything else!

Q: I formatted the whole SD-card as ext2, why does it not work
    A: The tutorial says you have to format one FAT32 and one ext2. You have to make those two partitions.

Q: Can I install this on my Wave II?
    A: It does not work and there is no official support for Wave II by the developers! Do not even try to install this, even if it boots, there will be various driver errors and the phone will crash.

Q: My Phone turns of when it goes idle after a few seconds
    A: Turn up idle time to 10min and install the app "Load Monitor", open it's preferences, add a notification with "Only Notify high load", "Auto Start" and "Wave lock".

Q: My screen turns green (or is getting greener and greener) when I try to boot android
    A: The system can not reach the zimage-file in your galaxyboot-folder in your internal memory. Reread the tutorial on this step.

Q: Android works but is very slow
    A: Since the filesystem is located on the SD-card, the card itself determines the applications speed. If you have a class 4 card, the speed is really faster than with class 2. Sandisk cards seem to be fastest but are very unstable.

Q: How can I get the files from windows to ubuntu?
    A: Move the files to the internal memory of your Wave. You can then access the memory in ubuntu to move those files to ubuntu.

Q: After starting something or trying to swype the screensaver, the screen goes black
    A: Go to the swype settings and uncheck all options. Also run the phone in silent mode and see if the bug persists.

Q: Modem is not working
    A: The modem functionality is not yet implemented. Keep reading this thread. Soon the devs will have this riddle solved too.

Q: New FOTA has been released, should I flash those again?
    A: If android boots on your phone, there is no need to flash the new FOTA. These new versions almost only add support for additional firmwares.

Q: I made the ext2/3 partition greater than 1GB and I am having problems.
    A: Stick to the tutorial. Do not make the ext2/3 greater than 1GB as it might create more problems and is unnecessary (the FAT32 is used as storage by android, too).

Q: Will I loose my setting in bada when I flash the FOTA and/or Bootfiles
    A: No you won't loose those. Even with using the "Full Download" option (which should be checked as stated in the tutorial), you won't lose those settings.

Q: I get "not enough memory" errors when I try to move an application to the SD-card
    A: Again...keep the ext2/3 partition at 1GB max. This error is due to the high memory requirements that a greater partition needs.

Q: I want proof of android running on Samsung Wave
    A: If you don't trust all those people telling you it works, then just go away and leave it be. There is no way that you can get proper proof of this other than testing it yourself. (Yes even videos can be manipulated...)

Q: I am no developer/programmer/genius, how can I help you anyway?
    A: Read the threads (even other threads might help) for solutions on current problems. Post those in here (or report directly to ShadowAS1 via PM) and if possible, write a small tutorial on how to fix it. You can also rewrite the tutorial for easier understanding. If you have a working webspace, I am sure ShadowAS1 will be happy if you could host the files there.

Q: The Galaxy S logo is still there after 10min (or more)
    A: Your phone crashed (no it is not bricked and is not damaged physically). Remove the battery and try to reboot. If the error persists, reboot into bada and repeat all steps of the tutorial after the flashing.

Q: Which Format is better ext2 or ext3?
    A: ext3 is faster and appears to be more stable. ext2 is more compatible and seems to work more often. You should try ext3 first and try again with ext2 if ext3 does not work.

Q: How can I "safely remove" my phone (and the sd-card) in ubuntu?
    A: Rightclick on one of your three partitions (ext2/3, fat32 or internal) and choose "safely remove". Then use the VMbox menu to remove the wave from the vm. Then use "safely remove hardware" from windows to disconnect your Wave from windows. Then unplug your USB cable from your wave.

Q: I don't have the time to read all posts of this thread
    A: God damnit, learn patience!(sorry) This is nothing that should be done in a hurry!

Additional Q&As:
    Q&A from 2011-06-20 by victorio79: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14803268&postcount=440
    Q&A from 2011-06-24 by NitramNach: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15025036&postcount=889

To all of you having other problems: READ THE WHOLE THREAD...patience is a virtue ;)

Sincerely Yours,
    SeelenGeier
    Fixed dates are impossible because every of us got other schedules.. And were not working on the sensors yet
    From what i know they're working on booting from moviNAND now which succeeded without damaging bada. This method is NOT going to released yet because its a concept which is not 100%safe yet
    Furthermore Oleg_k is still doing the modem and I am gonna do UI mods (at least if i got time this summer)