HTC Raider (Bell Mobility) OTA and Root

Search This thread

Kurty007

Jul 10, 2012
I recently got my HTC Raider 4G LTE at Bell and I was wondering if I could root after I do the official OTA download to Android 4.0 and HTC Sense 3.6. Currently, it is brand new out of the box so that would mean locked bootloader, unrooted, and S-ON.
I know how to get the bootloader unlocked if that is necessary.

Could I root first, and then do the official update, and still keep the root? Or should I update first, and then root (if that is possible)?
What should I do? I basically want the simplest way to get root (but it would be nice to also get the update but I don't care too much about it).

Also, do I need to get S-OFF? Again, I am looking for the simplest/best way to get root on my device, so I can get custom roms and stuff.

I have tried Vivid All In One Kit 2.2 but when I try to install SuperSU.zip in ClockWorkMod Recovery, I get "installation aborted". I don't think I did it right though... I created a .zip file, named it SuperSU, and basically copy/pasted the SuperSU folder that was in the toolkit.

I have also had a glimpse of the superguide in vivid android development but I think I need S-OFF... Is the superguide the best way to do this? Could some people show me some examples or solve for why I can't get root? Most of the links that I have seen are for the HTC Vivid. I'm sure they should work but I just want to make sure since I am using a Canadian HTC Raider (Bell).

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
First things first, run the RUU to get the ICS hboot/ROM. You can find it here. Make sure you do the right ICS one for your carrier. Then go ahead and do steps 1 and 4 from the superguide. That will essentially give you the rooted stock ICS ROM. S-OFF is not absolutely necessary. All you need to do is manually flash the kernel before flashing the ROM EVERY time you want a new ROM. All S-OFF does is make you able to flash recovery and kernel from the recovery. So that means when you flash a ROM, it is automatically able to flash the kernel as well. I am still S-ON though, it just adds the small step of manually flashing the kernel. ;)

Kurty007

Jul 10, 2012
Why do I need to run the RUU?
I assume RUU gets me hboot access, official ICS (Android 4.0 or something) and HTC Sense 3.6? and step 4 gets basically gets root
Couldn't I just officially update the device OTA or with a connection, and then do something to get hboot, and then root?
Or do you think it would be much simpler to to run RUU?

So far, I have unlocked the bootloader via HTCdev (step 1) and have clockworkmod recovery which I got with the toolkit.
Also, when I hold volume down and power button, I believe it fastboots without giving me any options. I can only get to clockworkmod recovery and what I believe is hboot (where I can see whether or not the bootloader is unlocked or locked, S-ON or S-OFF, and get options for boot) by using the toolkit (or by typing in the adb commands).

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I assume RUU gets me hboot access, official ICS (Android 4.0 or something) and HTC Sense 3.6? and step 4 gets basically gets root
Couldn't I just officially update the device OTA or with a connection, and then do something to get hboot, and then root?

So far, I have unlocked the bootloader via HTCdev (step 1) and have clockworkmod recovery which I got with the toolkit.
Also, when I hold volume down and power button, I believe it fastboots without giving me any options. I can only get to clockworkmod recovery and what I believe is hboot (where I can see whether or not the bootloader is unlocked or locked, S-ON or S-OFF, and get options for boot) by using the toolkit (or by typing in the adb commands).

OTA, RUU, PH zip will all not work because you have an unlocked bootloader. Re-lock the bootloader first. The RUU is just about the easiest way to get stock ICS and it updates the HBOOT by itself. After the RUU, unlock the bootloader once again (step 1) and then perm root (step 4).

Reactions: Kurty007

Kurty007

Jul 10, 2012
OTA, RUU, PH zip will all not work because you have an unlocked bootloader. Re-lock the bootloader first. The RUU is just about the easiest way to get stock ICS and it updates the HBOOT by itself. After the RUU, unlock the bootloader once again (step 1) and then perm root (step 4).

Thank you so much! I now have Android 4.0.3, HTC Sense 3.6, and root access :D

Last edited:

jbplumbing.ca

Jun 11, 2010
Cambridge
I have a rogers raider its updated to ics by ota then I unlocked bootloader. And used vivid all in one and have cwm recovery on my phone. I tried to perma root but it didn't stick because it was still stock Rom. So who can I use holics without s-off?

Sent from my HTC-X710a using xda premium

Last edited:

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I have a rogers raider its updated to ics by ota then I unlocked bootloader. And used vivid all in one and have cwm recovery on my phone. I tried to perma root but it didn't stick because it was still stock Rom. So who can I use holics without s-off?

If you want stock root then follow step 4 in the guide in my signature. To flash ROMs without S-OFF takes an extra step. Every time you want to flash a new ROM, you need to flash the matching kernel beforehand. Use the guide in my signature to learn how to flash a kernel.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Reactions: jbplumbing.ca

jbplumbing.ca

Jun 11, 2010
Cambridge
4) Perm-Root your device (WildChild)

- Turn off your phone, turn it back on my holding power + volume down
- Use the volume rocker and power button to select fastboot
- Connect your phone to your PC
- Inside the WCXJB ROOT PACK, click shift + right click and select "Open command window here"
- Enter in these commands without the quotes
- "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img"
- Now you can boot up your phone
- Download and put Vivid_CWM_Root_VER2 zip file on root of internal sdcard (aka NOT in any folders)
- Boot into H-Boot like you did before (turn off phone, turn back on holding power + vol down), and use the volume rockers to go to "recovery" and press the power button to select it
- Select "install zip from sdcard"
- Select the VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip through recovery and then reboot your phone
- You are now rooted and I recommend flashing a matching kernel + ROM for root to stick

So this will give me stock rogers Rom but rooted? And can I just flash VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.ZIP FROM recovery because I already have custom recovery?
Or do I still need to go through the steps. Thanks for your patience.

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska

- Inside the WCXJB ROOT PACK, click shift + right click and select "Open command window here"
- Download and put Vivid_CWM_Root_VER2 zip file on root of internal sdcard (aka NOT in any folders)
- Boot into H-Boot like you did before (turn off phone, turn back on holding power + vol down), and use the volume rockers to go to "recovery" and press the power button to select it
- Select the VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip through recovery and then reboot your phone
- You are now rooted and I recommend flashing a matching kernel + ROM for root to stick

So this will give me stock rogers Rom but rooted? And can I just flash VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.ZIP FROM recovery because I already have custom recovery?

Yea, pretty much all you need to do is flash that VIVID_CWM_ROOT zip in recovery and it should yield root if you are on the stock ROM with unlocked bootloader. If it doesn't give root the first time, try flashing it a couple more times.

Reactions: jbplumbing.ca

Kurty007

Jul 10, 2012
Recovery

I seem to have a problem getting into recovery (CWM). Whenever I turn my device off and try to turn it back on by holding power and volume down, it fastboots instantly when I let go without giving me any options. I have downloaded Rom Manager flashed CWM but when I tried to reboot into recovery, it gets stuck at the HTC sign. The only way I had accessed bootloader or recovery early was thanks to the toolkit. Any way I can fix this so I can go to recovery anytime I want without connecting to PC?

Last edited:

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I seem to have a problem getting into recovery (CWM). Whenever I turn my device off and try to turn it back on by holding power and volume down, it fastboots instantly when I let go without giving me any options. I have downloaded Rom Manager flashed CWM but when I tried to reboot into recovery, it gets stuck at the HTC sign. The only way I had accessed bootloader or recovery early was thanks to the toolkit. Any way I can fix this so I can go to recovery anytime I want without connecting to PC?

Sounds like an odd issue. I've been using WCX recovery ever since it came out with zero issues. Maybe try flashing that one. (If you do, flash it two or three times so it gets rid of cwm).

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
Will Root stick with the stock rom or do I have to flash custom for root to stick?

Should stick after flashing that zip.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Hm... I've been hearing odd things happening with that recovery. Does your PC still recognize your phone? If it does, then you should be alright. I would suggest re-locking the bootloader and running the stock ICS RUU for your carrier (this is all in my guide titled "back to stock"). After that run steps 1 and 4 from my guide if all you want is stock root. Basically all it is is unlock bootloader > flash WCX recovery > perm root.

Prolab

Nov 9, 2007
Toronto

I have also have problem with CWM recovery. I used a different recovery method (using slapshot's sticky).

It seems more stable and it didn't give me CWM re-looping problem.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using xda app-developers app

Kurty007

Jul 10, 2012
I have also have problem with CWM recovery. I used a different recovery method (using slapshot's sticky).

It seems more stable and it didn't give me CWM re-looping problem.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using xda app-developers app

So did you just flash the WCXJB ROOT PACK over CWM to fix the problems? or did you have to re-install stock using the RUU and start over?

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
So did you just flash the WCXJB ROOT PACK over CWM to fix the problems? or did you have to re-install stock using the RUU and start over?

Cleanest way would be start over with relock bootloader, RUU, then steps 1 and 4 from my guide if you don't need s off. You could try just flashing over WCX recovery though, but it probably won't clean all the old stuff out from CWM.

Reactions: Kurty007

Kurty007

Jul 10, 2012
Cleanest way would be start over with relock bootloader, RUU, then steps 1 and 4 from my guide if you don't need s off. You could try just flashing over WCX recovery though, but it probably won't clean all the old stuff out from CWM.

Thank you so much!! It fixed all the problems and it now works perfectly :)

wplzw

Apr 28, 2014
Glad it all worked out. :D

My HTC raider is from Rogers and is S-on. I flash custom ROM on it but it is 2.3.6 vision. I want update to higher version of Android such as 4.0. So i need relock the bootloader but problem is I couldn't find the stock rogers' ROM. The link you post doesn't work anymore.

Is there somewhere I can download one? Thank you very much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you want stock root then follow step 4 in the guide in my signature. To flash ROMs without S-OFF takes an extra step. Every time you want to flash a new ROM, you need to flash the matching kernel beforehand. Use the guide in my signature to learn how to flash a kernel.

Yea, pretty much all you need to do is flash that VIVID_CWM_ROOT zip in recovery and it should yield root if you are on the stock ROM with unlocked bootloader. If it doesn't give root the first time, try flashing it a couple more times.