Making Thunderbolt into media player, best rom?

Search This thread

wardozer9

Sep 23, 2013
I just got an HTC Thunderbolt to use as a dedicated media player and am wondering, what is going to be the best rom for this?

What I don't need in a rom:
Voice
Data
Bluetooth
Camera

What I need in a rom:
As long of a battery life as I can get
Compatibility with MX Player
Compatibility with PowerAmp
Compatibility with Dolphin Broswer HD
Compatibility with YouTube
Compatibility with TextFree

Basically, I do not need to ever use the phone on any kind of service and if I do text on it it'll be thru TextFree.

Another thing I would like to know is what all can safely be stripped out of a rom for one of these to lighten the load. I don't need any app support other than MX Player, Poweramp, Dolphin Browser HD, YouTube and TextFree. Any components needed for anything else can go.

Last edited:

quickdraw86

Feb 1, 2012
Harrisburg, SD
I just got an HTC Thunderbolt to use as a dedicated media player and am wondering, what is going to be the best rom for this?

What I don't need in a rom:
Voice
Data
Bluetooth
Camera

What I need in a rom:
As long of a battery life as I can get
Compatibility with MX Player
Compatibility with PowerAmp
Compatibility with Dolphin Broswer HD
Compatibility with YouTube
Compatibility with TextFree

Basically, I do not need to ever use the phone on any kind of service and if I do text on it it'll be thru TextFree.

Another thing I would like to know is what all can safely be stripped out of a rom for one of these to lighten the load. I don't need any app support other than MX Player, Poweramp, Dolphin Browser HD, YouTube and TextFree. Any components needed for anything else can go.

You more or less answered your own question... Just choose an ICS ROM and strip out nonessential components. The safe to remove items vary by ROM of course, but most of the names of them also explain what they do...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk