[Q] Failed my first root attempt (boot loop?). Suggestions for round 2??

Search This thread

joey-g

Jul 3, 2011
Hey guys I picked up a Nook Color yesterday and attempted to root the device but failed. :( It came stock running 1.2, so after doing some research I found I would need to use manual nooter over autonooter. I'll give full details below but I followed the instructions at these 2 links:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1054027
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=987735

I went through the instructions and was able to root the device. After the root process I booted into Android and successfully installed some app's. I attempted to reboot the device again just to test stability and this is where it went downhill. The device would continually display the nook color image looping one after another; it would not fully boot. In order to return to stock I held the power button, up volume, and n button and restored the device.

Some details:
win32diskimager - During the process of making a boot-able ClockworkMod SD win32diskimager version .2 and .3 will gives me an error saying - "Not enough disk space". I used version .1 for my attempt and it let me burn. I have a 2 gig SanDisk MicroSD card and downloaded 2gb_clockwork-3.0.2.8.rar. Not sure if this is even related to the error.

Before root - I copied an epub book over to internal memory.

App's after root - I installed Angry Birds, Crazy Snowboard, Dophin HD, Facebook, Twitter, Flash 10.3, Google doc's. I also followed the steps in the links from the instructions above (setting up marketplace).

What do you guys think is going on here? The only problem I saw was with the disk image, but I don't want to buy a new MicroSD unless I really need to. It was weird that I was able to boot once after root, but after rebooting that's when it fails; like I installed something bad. Anyone have any recommendations for me? Also is the power button, volume up, n button trick a pretty solid way to restore? I was worried!

Thanks.

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
Hey guys I picked up a Nook Color yesterday and attempted to root the device but failed. :( It came stock running 1.2, so after doing some research I found I would need to use manual nooter over autonooter. I'll give full details below but I followed the instructions at these 2 links:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1054027
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=987735

I went through the instructions and was able to root the device. After the root process I booted into Android and successfully installed some app's. I attempted to reboot the device again just to test stability and this is where it went downhill. The device would continually display the nook color image looping one after another; it would not fully boot. In order to return to stock I held the power button, up volume, and n button and restored the device.

Some details:
win32diskimager - During the process of making a boot-able ClockworkMod SD win32diskimager version .2 and .3 will gives me an error saying - "Not enough disk space". I used version .1 for my attempt and it let me burn. I have a 2 gig SanDisk MicroSD card and downloaded 2gb_clockwork-3.0.2.8.rar. Not sure if this is even related to the error.

Before root - I copied an epub book over to internal memory.

App's after root - I installed Angry Birds, Crazy Snowboard, Dophin HD, Facebook, Twitter, Flash 10.3, Google doc's. I also followed the steps in the links from the instructions above (setting up marketplace).

What do you guys think is going on here? The only problem I saw was with the disk image, but I don't want to buy a new MicroSD unless I really need to. It was weird that I was able to boot once after root, but after rebooting that's when it fails; like I installed something bad. Anyone have any recommendations for me? Also is the power button, volume up, n button trick a pretty solid way to restore? I was worried!

Thanks.

It sound to me like you installed flash 10.3 without uninstalling the old flash. If that is what you did, follow the directions HERE to get back to a clean install. Then when you are back up and running, download “Titanium Back” from the marketplace, then uninstall flash, and then update to flash 10.3. Let me know if you run into any problems along the way.

tonygoes

Apr 2, 2011
This also happens if you try to update Adobe Air without uninstalling. Again, Titanium Backup can remove it for you.