GARY: Firmware .14 freeze-reboot thread - .15 beta Firmware

Search This thread

ohwell

Feb 9, 2012
I've never had the lockup reboot problem with any version of the firmware but I wonder have any of you did a factory reset without backing up your installed apps and ran it a while with just the factory apps to see if maybe its an app you added to your Prime causing the reboots?

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
I've never had the lockup reboot problem with any version of the firmware but I wonder have any of you did a factory reset without backing up your installed apps and ran it a while with just the factory apps to see if maybe its an app you added to your Prime causing the reboots?

Did you read my thread at the beginning..

hard reset (no app install)
factory reset (no app install)

downgrade to .11 no problem
.13 to .14 same problem

manley1534

Feb 18, 2012
Things just keep getting worse...

I tried posting this from my Prime, but it locked up too often :mad: As suggested I did a factory reset (which didn't resolve the freeze/reboot issue). Now there is a new problem. I was reinstalling apps and came to one that says it isn't compatible with my device. How can that be?? I had it on my Prime and it was working fine (Scrabble Free for Android). Now when I go to re-download and install, I can't because it says "not compatible." It was working on my tablet just fine last night. Any ideas what's going on now??:(

darksiiide

Aug 3, 2009
It would be nice if they just released the bootloader unlock tool. The developers from xda could probably have most of this stuff ironed out in no time. Seems as if each new firmware brings on a whole new set of users experiencing issues.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

SantiagoMA85

Mar 31, 2010
Same problem constantly reboots to the point that I'm unable to use it at all. It sucks because the previous update worked just fine. I hope they come with a fix like today!

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
having the same issue while watching Netflix. serial number is BBOKAS0

if it is with netflix then i don't believe this problem is related. If it only happy while watching netflix try doing a hard reset or factory restore since this is not the same issue.

Just incase try going to setting, out opening application, closing etc. If it lock up-freeze then reboot doing this normal task then you have our problem.

Last edited:

Phontech

Feb 18, 2012
Adding to my post on trouble with prime reboot. ver 13 had alot fewer reboots, unuseable now after upgrade to ver14. Reboots every few minutes. sn BCOKAS134340 .

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

how do you reset prime to ver13 would like to be able to use it. can not find info in forum

zektor

Mar 3, 2010
None of the issues experienced in this thread with the update to .14 on a C1OKAS model, but have experienced:

1. No wifi signal after first boot on install of new firmware. Reboot fixed that.

2. Opened a game and only received black screen (Pinball title fro Tegra Zone) and it fixed with reboot.

That is all for me. The update was not significantly different otherwise than .13 or .11. My Prime just works.

rand4ll

Jan 16, 2011
None of the issues experienced in this thread with the update to .14 on a C1OKAS model, but have experienced:

1. No wifi signal after first boot on install of new firmware. Reboot fixed that.

2. Opened a game and only received black screen (Pinball title fro Tegra Zone) and it fixed with reboot.

That is all for me. The update was not significantly different otherwise than .13 or .11. My Prime just works.

I would not consider those issues at all if it was on first boot after firmware update. Always do a power off and turn back on after that initial boot to avoid any of the odd happenings.

Vilen77

Jun 18, 2010
Bellow are my observations:
SN: C10KA*******
I've never had any reboot with .11 version. On versions 13 and 14 I've had 1-2 reboots per day. Factory reset didn't work for me. Version .14 it seems to be a lot better in battery than .13, but 13 is more stable. Reverted to .11 version with Trebuchet Launcher (native launcher in .11 is a little bit slow).

flintdog

Feb 19, 2012
does your start with 1

NEVER MINE. just read yours is a C1 not a BS

i am having the same problem. i just called ASUS and talked to them and the guy told me i had two options, either take it back to where i got it or ship it to their techs in Texas. needless to say i was not happy. i have only had my prime for two weeks. he didn't even try to help solve my issues. i also had a problem with the screen on it. it would not properly seat its-self to the metal body on the volume rocker side. he also wanted me to pay for shipping. thats a bunch of B/S and i told him i wanted to speak to his supervisor. now i have free shipping, but what i wanted them to do is to send me a replacement unit. i mean i have only had it for two weeks.

does anyone no how to roll back to the previous update? i want to go from .14 to .13... i was having no issues with .13 (i am not rooted by the way either)

seaham358

Oct 12, 2010
Poughkeepsie, NY
Strange... I went from crashing every 5-10 min to running trouble free for over an hour???
All I did was hook it up to my computer to back up my pics before doing a factory reset.. I was using it while backing up and it was working fine.
I unhooked it from the computer to see if it was a fluke and its still running trouble free?? Did it fix itself?? Hope it stays this way.

kudy

Nov 8, 2008
I am also having the reboots after .14 problem - after 4 factory resets I have a relatively stable install right now, but it still decides to restart randomly when doing even the most basic things (browsing on the default browser, bringing up the apps list, etc.).

I may be wrong, but in order to roll back to the .13 update, wouldn't we need to root and install a new bootloader (effectively voiding the warranty)? If there is an in-warranty way to roll back, could someone clue me (and others who aren't as familiar with this stuff) what the procedure is? Thanks!

mopar400

Mar 3, 2011
Same problem here with .14.
Random reboots every couple of minutes.
If I turn off WiFi it gets stable, but then its pretty much useless!!

I have reverted back to .13,and things are back to ` normal`.

Serial number BCOKASxxxxxx

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
i am having the same problem. i just called ASUS and talked to them and the guy told me i had two options, either take it back to where i got it or ship it to their techs in Texas. needless to say i was not happy. i have only had my prime for two weeks. he didn't even try to help solve my issues. i also had a problem with the screen on it. it would not properly seat its-self to the metal body on the volume rocker side. he also wanted me to pay for shipping. thats a bunch of B/S and i told him i wanted to speak to his supervisor. now i have free shipping, but what i wanted them to do is to send me a replacement unit. i mean i have only had it for two weeks.

does anyone no how to roll back to the previous update? i want to go from .14 to .13... i was having no issues with .13 (i am not rooted by the way either)

i'll try to help get it to .13

go here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1427125

download vipermod 4.1 and rooted (is only a one click root)

follow this steps
Download one of the updates (eg. US_epaduser9_4_2_13UpdateLauncher.zip) from here: http://support.asus.com/download.asp...2&hashedid=n/a
Extract files from within zip
Extract files again from the extracted zip
Copy extracted "blob" file to root of the removable Micro SD card
Through ADB shell or Terminal Emulator, run the following: i recommend "Terminal Emulator, is easier". (May take from 5 to 20 minutes)

now Type in terminal emulator

su (after you type this "su" it will give you root access and in the next line type the next command)

dd if=/Removable/MicroSD/blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4

After this, it's going to take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to finish, if you have the freeze problem restart everything again.

you won't see any progress bar and might think that terminal emulator is not doing anything but in fact is copying the file. wait until it finish and you'll know cause it will show you the time it took to copy the line.

after this, turn off your device and turn it on again. At reboot it will start installing .13

This will not erase any previous info or app from your device but it will boot with a launcher "force close" problem.

head over to setting (tab lower right where the clock is located)
Setting-apps-all-launcher apk

hit force close-clear- clear cache

that will get rid of the force close.

Reactions: chpimentelpr

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
I am also having the reboots after .14 problem - after 4 factory resets I have a relatively stable install right now, but it still decides to restart randomly when doing even the most basic things (browsing on the default browser, bringing up the apps list, etc.).

I may be wrong, but in order to roll back to the .13 update, wouldn't we need to root and install a new bootloader (effectively voiding the warranty)? If there is an in-warranty way to roll back, could someone clue me (and others who aren't as familiar with this stuff) what the procedure is? Thanks!

unrooting is very easy, factory reset or simply when you rollback to previews firmware you need root to do it but after is done root is lost and you have to root it again.

mattck

Feb 17, 2012
Omaha, NE
I am having the reboot problem with the .14 OTA.

Reboot issue when OTA ICS.

Fine with 11.1

Fine with .13

and now back to random reboots with .14

BCOKAS12****

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm Starting this thread for everyone who's having this problem.

Lockup, freeze then reboot while doing normal task.

I have tried everything possible but it seems the new OTA is the problem with a small % of us.

Factory reset (no app install)
    Hard reset(no app install)
    revert back to .11, update to 13, then update to .14

NOTE: This problem does not occur while living the tablet in standby. It only happens when you start playing with it.

Same freeze-reboot problem. Tablet is useless cause even typing, apps, setting, market..... anything would cause this problem.

Serial # BCOKAS11XXXX

.11 works perfect

GARY was PM with this thread so please if you have this problem post here with your serial number (BCOKAS11XXXX)

2/21 update from Gary:

"I will contact several of the listed members privately to try a new beta patch from NVIDIA tomorrow that should address the users who downgraded from .13 to .11 and then skipped to .14, were on the leaked 11.1 (never use a leaked version) or had a problem going from .13 to .14. I am out of the office for a funeral today and please do not contact me for the beta patch directly. I will initiate the contacts to ensure a proper test group and if it works, then a quick firmware update will be released next week."

2/22 update
    Today Gary will contact several members in the list for private beta testing patch from NVIDIA. I have updated the list including the serial numbers provided in this thread, this way Gary can pick members with different serial #(BC,CO,C1)

Update from Gary
    I have sent instructions to the first control group. Hopefully everyone will be able to test the patch and not leak it. If it is leaked, my ability to provide test releases or additional support will stop for the foreseeable future. If the typical 70% do not respond to their PM and patch instructions then I will create a second control group tonight.

UPDATE FROM GARY .15 FIRMWARE BETA TESTING
    "I will expand the control group tonight. So far, 60% of those I asked to participate have not replied to my inquiries or acknowledged the original PM. A little better than the normal 70% who do not respond so I will take that as a positive. For those who tried and replied, my thanks and based on results so far the users actually experiencing this problem should thank them also as it appears we can release this patch shortly"

Late 2/22 update from Gary
    "I expanded the group tonight. If all is well in the morning then I will start increasing the size of each group tomorrow. It appears based on today's results that I will give HQ the go ahead to release this patch to qualification testing so we can get it in the release cycle for next week"

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT LEAK THE BETA PATCH THAT GARY HAS PROVIDED US.

.15 BETA FIRMWARE IS NOT AVAIL TO PUBLIC, ONLY PRIVATE INVITATION FROM GARY. DO NOT CONTACT GARY FOR INVITATION.... AGAIN DO NOT LEAK IT

Update on .15 beta firmware
    "So far so good 2 days zero freeze-reboot or force close. Fastest and smoother rom i have tried (.11,.13,14,15). Excellent battery life"

Users having this problem after .14

1)Eduardmc - BCOKAS11XXXX
    2)Kocta - BC0CAS
    3)Lippi74 -
    4)Mark1981giur - BCOKAS
    5)Toronto929 -
    6)Seaham358 - BCOKAS0
    7)Cksuen -
    8)Manley1534 - BCOKAS10XXXX
    9)Sinboo50 - BCOKAS1xxx
    10)PolishPoet - BCOKAS1
    11)OttoDeFe -C1OKAS
    12)SantiagoMA85 -
    13)Phontech - BCOKAS13XXXX
    14)flintdog -
    15)kudy -
    16)mopar400 - BCOKASxxxxxx
    17)mattck - BCOKAS12****
    18)Voop - C10KAS.
    19)chpimentelpr - BCOKAS03XXXX
    20)HOFFERN342 - C10KASXXXXXX
    21)mnlmnv - C1OKAS*****
    22)wormat22 - C10KASXXXXXX
    23)JMQUINT00 - bcokas0******
    24)expert3009 - BCOKAS10XXXX
    25)drherron - BCOK....
    26)sorcio46 - C10KAS1xxxxx
    27)nattylite - BCOKAS...
    28)skola28 - BCOKAS11XXXX
    29)Mubble - C10KAS
    30)jrkolohe -
    31)Dr.Evil - BCOKAS10XXXX
    32)MohMoh11 - C10KAS1XXXX
    33)micaman -BCOKAS10XXXX
    34)jonsingh12 - BCOKASXXXXXX
    35)tbm48813 - bcokas
    36)Ayesuku - BC0KAS0
    37)BlueSolomon - BCOKAS
    38)Gremlin001 - C1OKAS.....
    39)Linde - C10KAS1*
    40)dgoodsell - BCOKAS02XXXX
    41)docangle - BCOKAS
    42)davidflam - C1OKAS0XXXXX
    43)jfarinella -
    44)geinome - BCOKAS06
    45)mkten - C10KAS116***
    46)dmh2010 - BCOKAS
    47)xandrika - C10KAS15XXXX
    48)boldnuts - C10****
    49)hellalucard - C10KAS10XXXX
    50)chin_a_ling -
    51)patcou - C10KAS12XXXX
    52)fundun - BCOKAS1XXXXX
    53)anthonyalberto - BCOKAS01
    54)Martijnvdb - BCOKAS16XXXX
    55)kopilj - C10KAS05xxxx
    56)upsbeast - BCOKAS11
    57)AWhistler - BCOKAS15.......
    58)uragaaru - BCOKAS03****
    59)speegler - BCOKAS
    60)droid358 - C10KAS.
    61)Zucaritas - C10KAS
    62)Vilen77 - C10KA*******
    63)kospan - BCOKAS06XXXX
    64)just4kix -
    65)cksuen -
    66)dirkcga - C10KAS06****
    67)tengjack - BCOKAS03XXXX
    68)deadred - BCOKA04XXXX
    69)Havagan - BC0KAS*
    70)neo1738 - bc
    71)bl117 -
    72)FixMyPrimeNow - bcokas12****
    73)adinava - BCOKAS12****
    74)DougGraham - C10KASXXXXXX
    75)rex0325 - C10KAS...
    76)coachcory -
    77)skyterrier - BCOKAS 034xxx
    78)dabbill - BCOKAS******
    79)Chrisy1511 - BCOKAS1
    80)Lazzerus - BCOKASXXXXX
    81)Myque - BCOKAS1xxxxxxx
    82)RichieG1 - BCOKAS0
    83)anne492 - BCOKAS03XXXX
    84)cslawren - BCOKAS1*****
    85)Photofix - C10KAS------
    86)ARichardson6 - BCOKAS0
    87)alanhzl - C20KASxxxxxx
    88)Mr Bill Florida - C10KAS0XXXX
    89)frozen-solid - C1OKAS11XXXX
    90)ryo77 - BCOKAS17xxxx
    91)Go_Pirates - C10KASXXXX
    92)big_mac_69 - BCOKAS0xxxxxx
    93)gaushell - bcokas04
    94)djk729 - BCOKAS0XXXXX
    95)ryan562 - BC0KAS006XXX
    96)xdadevmt - c10kas
    97)allan1313 -BCOKAS0xxxxxx
    98)cenonmin - BCOKAS1XXXX
    99)TheMan876 - BCOKAS10****
    100)maxfac1234 - BCOKAS.
    101)genjiff - BCOKAS05XXXX
    102)NatchoTequila - BCOKAS15xxxx
    103)Perlle - BCOKASxxxxxx
    104)evilNathan - C1OKASxxxxx
    105)jangutter - C1OKASXXXX
    106)Cr1ptkeeper - C10KAS (WW)
    107)Severion - C10KAS0xxxx (Screen flickering)
    108)aprunic - C10KAS0xxx
    109)drizzt dourdem - C10KAS (WW)
    110)tigerclawvc - C10KAS
    111)mike.s.russell - C10KAS060xxx
    112)pablitus - BCOKASxxxxxx
    113)Torlopov_K - c10kas13****
    114)Yod-b - bcokas14xxxx
    115)Hyflex - bcokas0 (stable)
    116)davstir - BCOKAS016XXX
    117)bje2525 - c10kas0XXXXX
    118)eyesparky - C10KAS
    119)curiouslee - C10KAS
    120)ZychoFlow - BCOKAS11xxxx
    121)Mthompson33 - C20KAS00XXXX
    122)dolphine - BCOKAS (WW)
    123)kecke69 - C1OKAS10XXXX (WW)
    124)look4me_pl - C20KASxxxxxx (WW)
    125)alc027 - c1okas (WW)
    I will expand the control group tonight. So far, 60% of those I asked to participate have not replied to my inquiries or acknowledged the original PM. A little better than the normal 70% who do not respond so I will take that as a positive. ;)

For those who tried and replied, my thanks and based on results so far the users actually experiencing this problem should thank them also as it appears we can release this patch shortly.
    I will contact several of the listed members privately to try a new beta patch from NVIDIA tomorrow that should address the users who downgraded from .13 to .11 and then skipped to .14, were on the leaked 11.1 (never use a leaked version) or had a problem going from .13 to .14. I am out of the office for a funeral today and please do not contact me for the beta patch directly. I will initiate the contacts to ensure a proper test group and if it works, then a quick firmware update will be released next week.
    I have sent instructions to the first control group. Hopefully everyone will be able to test the patch and not leak it. If it is leaked, my ability to provide test releases or additional support will stop for the foreseeable future. If the typical 70% do not respond to their PM and patch instructions then I will create a second control group tonight.
    I got a slightly different with u all.

When i'm in .11, i got serious reboot problem, but when i upgrade to .13, it works perfect for me
    But when i upgrade to .14, the reboot problem comes back....

Howto solve this problem?

my serial #C1OKAS05XXXX