[Q&A][i9505] Knox Q&A / Discussion Thread - ask questions here!

Search This thread

dratsablive

Feb 20, 2011
HARRISBURG
That's good news, but how far can I go with Stock ROMs at this point? I mean, the 4.3 ROMs will likely require newer bootloaders if the leak is any indication.

What's the last Non-Knox Stock ROM?

I realize that 4.2.2 ROMs can be flashed without the new Knox bootloader, but that party's sure to end soon. I just want to be prepared.

Sweet, that's good to know, because the I9505G I got from Google doesn't have this :)

Hawke84

Jan 14, 2010
Worthing, UK
There is one actually from that same thread. It's the repacked pre-rooted version which is bootloader free. I've also flashed the 4.3 leak excluding the new bootloader but sound and wifi was broken.

I just need to confirm that a 4.3 custom tw kernel fixes sound and wifi on an old bootloader, else I'll try it myself and report back

Ah Ok my mistake. I'm not sure with the custom kernel. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already tried...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

szaboagoston

Apr 14, 2010
Knoxed - what options do I have?

Okay, I ran into this knox trap. Knox 0x1. I can live with it, and I know it can't be undone, but I'd like to know what my options are to root and mod my phone, as I'm having problems. I tried the following things:

1. root the MH8 firmware - didn't work
2. install CWM recovery - worked
3. flash Google Edition ROMs in CWM - worked, but I get a bootloop, and can't use the phone
4. flash Wanam Lite in CWM - didn't work
5. flash developer made AOSP ROMs in CWM - didn't work.

Please tell me that using the MH8 stock firmware without root is not my only option.
I just ran into this problem yesterday, and I already read a lot of threads, but I can't find a good answer to these questions, and can't use the rest of the day. Anyone more experienced than me can help? Thanks!

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Okay, I ran into this knox trap. Knox 0x1. I can live with it, and I know it can't be undone, but I'd like to know what my options are to root and mod my phone, as I'm having problems. I tried the following things:

1. root the MH8 firmware - didn't work
2. install CWM recovery - worked
3. flash Google Edition ROMs in CWM - worked, but I get a bootloop, and can't use the phone
4. flash Wanam Lite in CWM - didn't work
5. flash developer made AOSP ROMs in CWM - didn't work.

Please tell me that using the MH8 stock firmware without root is not my only option.
I just ran into this problem yesterday, and I already read a lot of threads, but I can't find a good answer to these questions, and can't use the rest of the day. Anyone more experienced than me can help? Thanks!

Hi,

Look HERE
I think you can flash a pre-rooted ROM with a later firmware.
Let us know...

:)

szaboagoston

Apr 14, 2010
Hi,

Look HERE
I think you can flash a pre-rooted ROM with a later firmware.
Let us know...

Thanks. I was looking at that thread, but I don't get the following:
"Reversible back to 4.2.2 - XXUDMGG and newer FW's with KNOX Bootloader!!"
"Odex - KNOX FREE - Downloads"

What er knox-free downloads, and what is this "reversible with knox bootloader"?
Also, does this mean, the the stock firmwares are my only options now, and that GE ROMs and AOSP ROMs are not possible?

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro

What er knox-free downloads, and what is this "reversible with knox bootloader"?
Also, does this mean, the the stock firmwares are my only options now, and that GE ROMs and AOSP ROMs are not possible?

Hi,

I would think that "Reversible" means you can go back and forward between the new ROMS with KNOX bootloader.

Knox-free are where he has managed to remove all trace of KNOX,but these involve a custom kernel which invalidates your warranty.

If you have a custom recovery,try a ROM from the second post.

I have seen no mention of anyone with the new Knox bootloader having a go at AOSP ROMS.
Might be worth a try...

vivmar

Sep 27, 2009
Brescia
OnePlus 8T
please,correct me if i'm wrong:

actually i have old bootloader Non-Knox.

if i flash with odin a rom with new bootloader ,knox will be activated as 0x0

then,if i flash a custom recovery know will be 0x1. (even flash anything else cause 0x1)

in this situation i can't (for ever) root phone,and or flash a custom kernel-rom TW based or Aosp based...

right?

otherwise if will be possible flash a tw based rom by cwm,without new bootloader ..no knox will be activated

Sep 19, 2010
music player & sound

I have the galaxy s4 i9505, it will not play mp3 files, it says does not support these files. I have tried different roms and its the same ,does it play some other format, also I have no sound no ring tone , no speaker , I have noticed on the net that lots of people are having trouble with this, is it the speaker that's the trouble? or software because it didn't matter what rom I had it was the same.

ace_of_spades021

Jul 17, 2012
Tehran
I have the galaxy s4 i9505, it will not play mp3 files, it says does not support these files. I have tried different roms and its the same ,does it play some other format, also I have no sound no ring tone , no speaker , I have noticed on the net that lots of people are having trouble with this, is it the speaker that's the trouble? or software because it didn't matter what rom I had it was the same.

look here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2436368

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: terrance martin

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
OK, so to summarise - currently thre is no way to try the new 4.3 FW with the old knox-free bootloader.

What happens if the new repacked version without the new bootloader is flashed over an older 4.2.2 build? Has somebody tried that?
Long story short, you will have useless phone. No WiFi, No sound, No calls.... etc..
Do not even try...

Could you post the results of your flashing? I am expecting an s4 and I suspect I will run into a similar problem if the device has a new bootloader

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I have several questions:

1. if a device has the knox warranty void 0x1 can it be used with custom roms and kernels?

2. Will flashing a custom recover be possible, for example philz?

3. How exactly are no sound, no wifi, problems when flashing a newer FW connected with the 0x1 warranty void flag?

I have been searching for answers but there seems to be no consensus on these topics.

Thank!

LoveMyNewTelephone

Dec 9, 2010
Netherlands
My biggest concern is that this would disable the possibility to use Google Edition Rom.

Is it possible to flash and use the Google Edition Rom without restrictions? (I know it would trip the Knox flag.)

chickentuna

Feb 13, 2012
Could you post the results of your flashing? I am expecting an s4 and I suspect I will run into a similar problem if the device has a new bootloader

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I have several questions:

1. if a device has the knox warranty void 0x1 can it be used with custom roms and kernels?

2. Will flashing a custom recover be possible, for example philz?

3. How exactly are no sound, no wifi, problems when flashing a newer FW connected with the 0x1 warranty void flag?

I have been searching for answers but there seems to be no consensus on these topics.

Thank!

1. Yes you can still use custom roms/kernels.

2. Yes. But you will trigger the knox flag. Some reported that using SGS4FLASHER doesn't trigger the flag but I seriously doubt it

3. The answers is simple really. The new 4.3 leak contains a new bootloader which we all know has the knox flag enabled. Attempting to flash without the new bootloader breaks the sound, wifi amd calls. If you change your mind about the new bootloader and you attempt to flash an older "unsecured" (knox flag disabled) you void your warranty. Thus the 0x1 knox warranty void flag.

Just a reminder, rooting, flashing custom roms, kernels, recovery and God knows what else while on the new bootloader triggers the knox flag.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seeing as the thread in the development section is being flooded with questions when its meant to be a development research thread and important info is getting lost amongst all the questions, I thought Id create a Q&A thread for all Knox bootloader 0x1 related questions so that we can try and keep the development thread just for research and testing.

Please feel free to ask any question here and i'll do my best to answer it but hopefully some of the other members who know a bit more will also join in and help answer some of the questions people have.

What we know so far (I think!)

1. Upgrading to newer Samsung firmware will upgrade the bootloader to knox bootloader. this will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about knox status.

2. If the Knox warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use knox softwareas your device has been flagged as insecure. By this i mean that if your workplace / company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc and they use knox to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future samsung firmware releases with the knox flag 0x1. hope this makes sense. sorry for any confusion this has caused!

3. If the knox warranty line says 0x0 knox will work.

4. with the new knox bootloader root will work, however rooting with CFautorootwill trip the knox flag. thanks @DjeMBeY for correcting this point :) you can use the root method (Root de la Vega) described here for rooting a device with knox bootloader.

5. If you try to downgrade to earlier firmware / bootloader it will set the knox flag to 0x1 i.e. void.

6. once the knox flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back (that anyone has found yet anyway!)

7. some newer 4.2.2 software that's supplied with the knox bootloader has been repacked by devs to not use the new bootloader and it all works fine you can still keep up to date.

8. I've seen people trying the test build of 4.3 touchwiz without the new knox bootloader sound and wifi does not work. This is no longer the case, see point 12.

9. There seems to be a big question mark as to weather Samsung will allow hardware repairs under warranty with the knox 0x1 flag

10. only seems to affect GT-i9505 at the moment!

11. Software affected thanks to @DjeMBeY
    XXUDMGG was the first one....
    The letters changed from XXUB... to XXUD...
    XXUB... - BOOTLOADER KNOX FREE
    XXUD... - NEW KNOX BOOTLOADER with 0x0 / 0x1

12. it is now possible to install custom 4.3 TW roms which have been modified to work without the new knox bootloader, do make sure that they are free from knox bootloader before flashing. Do note also that if you already have knox bootloader flashing anything even these 4.3 custom roms will still trip your 0x1 flag

What knox bootloader looks like in download mode . In this picture Knox warranty is in tact as the flag is 0x0:

attachment.php

I hope this answers some questions, anyone feel free to correct me and i'll try to keep this OP updated with info as people supply it / discover it.
    This is my personal theory until proven otherwise from Samsung:

No, I'm not a conspiracy freak. I don't believe we didn't go to the moon. I don't believe that we had aliens in Roswell and I don't have hats made out of folio but I am concerned.

Because all we talk about here is the Knox-bootloader and how to avoid triping it when Knox is so much more!

So here goes my rant. Please, if you care to answer, answer on topic.

Samsung invented KNOX as a control framework for governments.

Rationale
    We know that Google tracks our phone. We even agree to that when we start up for the first time. That it's a choice we have made.
    Google or Apple. They do the same. It's not the biggest pleasure that I know that they do that but then my provider can do the same so that was a choice.

But here comes Knox...
    We have not been able to opt out from this (which is something I strongly advocate that we should).

So what does it do with the phone?
    They updated the bootloader with SE-Linux (read about it if you want:Wikipedia - SELinux. That was make the phone cooperative and governmental friendly but it has some serious implications for us, private citizens.

You are prevented you to see parts of course device since you configure SE-linux with "policies" that you enforce.
    That means that we are at the whim of what Samsung wants us to see in our phones or not.

So they basically create a "box" (or call it by it's real name a jail). You have access to what they want and nothing else.
    And what we know is that it's "boxing" us. It's just like in Unix and jailing. You give access to what you want and then you have no access to anything else.

I have had problems with loading apps from my SD-cards for instance but some apps are ok? So what, do they have a list over what is allowed?

I bought a phone and the phone is MINE and this is what I was arguing with Samsung (among other things) yesterday. I consider that they cripple my phone and this is not what I have signed up too.

That will be my next step here. I called for some more Swedes but maybe this is mostly people from US? I have no idea.

So what can you then say that Knox is?
    Is the logical next level. Total control.

As said, we talk about the bootloader but has anyone tried to reverse-engineer all the Knox-apps that are included in our phones?
    What do they do? What information are they sending? We don't know jack **** about what Knox really do to our phones!

When it comes to Ethernet we can capture everything there is sent and pack up every single package, but I doubt that anyone can afford a base-station to see what the mobile is really doing?

So we are basically stuck here and we can't say that the phone doesn't chit-chat with my provider all the time and that my provider is sending my info somewhere else, can I?
    My country, Sweden, is a bit tricky. They say one thing and does another. So I really don't know if my info is feeded to something that is the equivalent of NSA or not.
    They talk about being open here but breaks the rules constantly so I at least consider that Snowden thing for something positive.

I have no idea how people in USA think about Snowden, a traitor etc but I think, that for me, it is good to know the extent of the "program".
    It has also led to some real investigations here in Europe and UK doesn't look especially good for instance.

Who want this?
    I think it's quite obvious. Governments. They want control. And we are headed towards that under the pretext of safety. Do you feel safe? I don't.
    Are you an activist? Do you advocate for something? Are you "politically incorrect?". And that is just the civil rights that I can up with while writing this.

How do we really know if there can't be "someone" that can remotely control your phone?
    Turning on the camera or the microphone, read your SMS, record your calls? At your home. At your work. Anytime. Anywhere.

What apps do you use? For what purpose? How? Hell, they can even download something for you and remotely upgrade their damn Knox without us knowing.

Because firewalls are just worthless. Knox works on a much lower level, since it's SE-linux and you could almost call it that we run a virtual environment in our phones.

Off topic, but this is how I am. ;)

The question about the sheer volume of data and that is impossible to keep track of. No it's not. It's all statistical analysis.
    As an example that is exactly what Google is using to make their translator better. You have the option to correct but also it sifts through material and uses normal predictability on how the text should look like.
    Haven't you noticed how better and better it gets?

And Google doesn't stop there. They have big plans of real-time voice translation. You talk English on your end and the person in Shanghai hear Chinese and vice-versa.
    Again, statistical analysis.

We tend to be person of habits. We go to work the same way. We tend to buy grocery at a few favorite stores. We present a pattern.
    Already now we get commercials aimed directly towards you. All the "bonus" cards that you get in the store that record every single product you buy.
    Then you get sent their commercial just for you. How can I know? Well, we have two bonus cards and buy different things and get different "Get this for the price of one!".

And it can go longer. In a while we can get a commercial about for instance shoes since we are so patterned that they know when we tend to buy new shoes, what type of shoes we like etc etc.

Just examples. But I think that Orwell was so wrong. We have surpassed him totally and have more control then Gestapo or DDR ever had.

Hell, here in Stockholm you have a "nice" option. You can register your travel-card that if you loose it you will not loose the subscription of the time you have left.
    So nice, but if you turn it the other way, they have a card that has my name and that they can track every single movement that I do since I have to use it in the tube, buses etc.
    They can look me up and see, oh, Absolon usually goes here and there, but wait, why does he go there all of the sudden?

So while we collect our "bonus points" we are willingly giving up our personal information and with that there will slowly be a built up profile of me.
    What if I AM in a activist group (which I actually are). They can easily track my calls, emails, meetings etc.

ON TOPIC

And here comes Knox. It's supposed to "protect" you. Please don't be that naive. It's about control.
    Have you found ANY Knox-apps that suits your needs as a private person? I looked yesterday and I founded a "Knoxed Dropbox". WOW!

So it's to no surprise that governments wants as much control they can. The 15 years in the name of terrorism. It didn't go so well in Boston, did it?
    If that is what you guys over there are pouring money over I think you should sack them all cause they do a lousy job when it comes to that.

And again the NSA. They tried to hack EVERYTHING! They even tapped the Germans chancellors cellphone! An alley!

USA's close allay, UK tracks their citizens as well. They have over 8000 cameras place in London! Just so they can track every movement of "suspicious" people. But now they don't have too. Samsung has provided them with Knox.

Why didn't Samsung release a special phone for just this purpose? They spit out phones so a Knoxied version would be no problem and leave ut alone.
    So there MUST be something more going on. Yeah, control. As someone said. They don't want us to play with their software.
    At the same time, I would be not surprised where they get their ideas from. If you think about it. Don't you find similarities in roms made earlier and current ones?
    (That is why I'm saying to keep a damn GPL-license on what you produce!)

And please, don't say "As long you have nothing to hide why bother?". You HAVE something to hide. Your right for privacy.
    Your right to not be tapped in your own home or tracked and profiles by a government.

Ericsson wasn't that scrupulous when they sold equipment to Iran (or China that is one of their biggest customers).
    What does Iran use Ericssons mobile equipment for? Population control. To squelsh any oposition there might be.
    Does anyone think that Samsung would care for a second if they got a proposal from them? I don't. And Knox is perfect for just this.

So again don't be naive and think that Know is for YOUR protection. They don't give a flying duck about you as long as you buy their products!

They have the right to make money are a corp but not they have passed a limit. They have made my phone into a potential spying machine.
    Cause how the duck can I know????

I'm lucky I have XDA and all you great people and I will not give a damn about the Knox-flag if it trips or not. The only thing that I'm interested in is if the tripping of it does something that limit my phone anymore then Knox already does?

I called Samsung yesterday (think I wrote about it already) and they where so kind that they told me that if I, as a developer, accidentally trip the flag I can just send the phone in and they will reflash it for me.
    So that means that there are no e-fuses and we can leave that part behind. It's code in the boot-loader that boots up a SE-linux.

And here is where I hope that the excellent devs are working. I'm too old for this. Was ages I coded, working with something completely different.
    I also don't know a jack **** on how the Samsung boot-strap their phone.

So until Samsung proves otherwise, your information, everything you do, can/are tracked/used and YOUR PHONE IS NOT SAFE. because how can you guarantee that?

If you want to see how far we have come in tracking, install "Collusion" in your web-browser and browse a while and let it build a map. Just for fun? Then you can ask me further, but please, do that for me? :)

So to summarize,

So WHY does Samsung enforce this it on YOU AND ME?

I think that this is a question that we should spread and ask in several forums and put a pressure on Samsung on this. Since I doubt that they want to have the selling-slogan as "Spyphone".

Because again. We have NO DUCKING idea what Knox does, do we? And the only way we can make Samsung listen is to spread this to the masses.
    Let them know what they have. Let them decide if this is what they want too. If we present it in this light I think people will be concerned. Just as I am.
    Even though I know a "tad" more.

Ok, rant over. Sorry for a long post but for me this is something that could have serious implications.
    ROOT de la Vega - Working on GT-I9505!! :)

The BIGGEST moment has arrived....

First in the World, patched FW for GT-I9505 using new method "Root de la Vega" by @designgears
    Works like charm, TESTED on XXUDMH8!!

KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x0!!!!! (not tested by it MUST be!! :p)

Available soooon.... stay tuned!! :)
    Taking into account what Hawk said in the first post. This is what we know so far.​

1. Upgrading to Samsung firmware XXUD AND ABOVE will upgrade the Bootloader to KNOX Bootloader. This will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about KNOX status. >>See picture below!!<<
    No point asking questions about specific softwares and etc. If you got questions about whether or not one of your favourite custom roms has the KNOX Bootloader etc. go ask in that custom rom's thread!

2. If the KNOX warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use KNOX software as your device has been flagged as insecure. By this I mean that if your workplace/company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc. and they use KNOX to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future Samdung firmware releases with the KNOX flag 0x1. BUT YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE!!

3. If the KNOX warranty line says 0x0 KNOX will work. This means that apps like KNOX locker etc, will work on your phone!

4. With the new ´KNOX Bootloader you CAN still ROOT your phone, however rooting will trip the knox flag to 0x1.

5. If you are already on a KNOX Bootloader and try to downgrade to earlier Firmware/Bootloader it will set the KNOX flag to 0x1 i.e. void AND IT WILL FAIL!!! So don't bother.

6. Once the KNOX flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back. Plus it doesn't look like there might ever be away. If you got problems with Samdung now there is always HTC, or Apple in the future :p

7. Some newer 4.2.2 software that's supplied with the KNOX Bootloader has been repacked by devs to not use the new Bootloader and it all works fine you can still keep up to date. Probably best to look in the relevant threads and see for yourself, or ask there. Not in this thread.

8. I've seen people trying the test build of 4.3 touchwiz without the new KNOX Bootloader but sound and wifi does not work.

9. There seems to be a big question mark as to weather Samdung will allow hardware repairs under warranty with the KNOX 0x1 flag. So far a few people have reported them still repairing the device, but don't hold your breath as it is technically officially void. If you are in the EU, and bought your phone from there you will still always get your warranty if you ROOT the device (but it will still trip the flag)

10. This only seems to affect GT-i9505 (International Galaxy S 4 LTE Variant) at the moment! Though we wouldn't be surprised if it starts to roll out on all Samdung phones in the future. Though seems we got it on the Note 2 also.

11. 4.3 Touchwiz leak rom will not work with custom kernels at the moment.

12. 4.3 Touchwiz leak rom will not work with the old KNOX-free Bootloader

13. Here is a picture of what your Download Mode will look like if you do have the KNOX Bootloader:

16272v9.jpg

Longer explanation:

If your KNOX Warranty is 0x1 (void):

You CAN:

• Still flash any Custom (Or Official ROM) that you want THAT IS NOT A DOWNGRADE!!
    • This means you can still flash any Custom or Official ROM that still has the KNOX Bootloader (but not ones without it, unless it's specifically a Custom ROM that is still XXUD but was packaged without the KNOX Bootloader.
    • Still ROOT your device with CF-Root etc or Root de-la-vega (but what is the point, KNOX Warranty will still be 0x1)
    • Still install any Custom Kernels etc. but bear in mind that 4.3 TouchWiz will not work with Custom Kernel etc. as stated above.
    • Basically you can still do anything. It's just very questionable if your device still has Warranty.

You can NOT:

• Flash your device to an older Firmware / Baseband. It will FAIL (AND if you had KNOX Warranty as 0x0 (valid) it will trip to 0x1 (VOID))
    • Use KNOX apps. Like the KNOX Locker etc. It won't work.
    • You cannot get updates over OTA or through Samdung Kies.
    • Sell your device WITH Warranty. Your Warranty (by definition) is void.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this clears a lot up. Maybe I was wrong with something, if so a Mod or Admin can edit my post. Or someone can tell me and I will do it myself.

Please lets keep this on-topic. It seems as if all Off-topic nonsense is getting ignored anyway. So don't waste your time. Read the first post. Read the whole thread (only takes 10 minutes) and then think hard if you should post here or not.

When in doubt. You can always 'try yourself' that's the whoooooole point of these forums.

Farm-Fresh_rainbow_cloud.png
    Peace, blessings and have a nice day.
    Farm-Fresh_rainbow_cloud.png
    Hi,

BTW, if anyone is interested what the KNOX thing is all about,check THIS

:eek: