[ROOT] unrEVOked 3.21: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading

Search This thread

sal_shawn

Feb 14, 2011
I know this a dumb question but I can't find an answer anywhere. Does rooting with this method wipe the phone or do I get to keep all my apps and what not?

rajverma3135

Oct 23, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Hi
Rooting does not wipe the phone, but its recommended to a backup.
It just change permissions on ur phone, nothing will be deleted using rooting, but if you installing another rom then probably you need to clear everything full wipe on ur phone

do not worry about it just go for rooting then install titanium backup free from market and make a backup of ur applications with data
hope i answered what u were asking
cheers

bbv203

Dec 12, 2009
East Bay, CA
My boss wants me to root his Incredible, with Unrevoked it won't wipe anything? So I can just run Unrevoked, then do a nand backup of the stock ROM? Push the SU app and Busybox and everything should be the same just rooted correct?

Hi
Rooting does not wipe the phone, but its recommended to a backup.
It just change permissions on ur phone, nothing will be deleted using rooting, but if you installing another rom then probably you need to clear everything full wipe on ur phone

do not worry about it just go for rooting then install titanium backup free from market and make a backup of ur applications with data
hope i answered what u were asking
cheers

k_nivesout

Mar 27, 2011
Didn't wipe anything when I rooted my phone or my friend's. Superuser gets installed automatically, not sure about busybox.

Reactions: bbv203
D

Deleted member 2776902

http://noobgui.de/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_if_you're_S-OFF_but_can't_get_root

So i can't get root on my friends incredible. I went to the irc room for unrevoked, and no one responded to my queries, so i found that article, and would really like to know if it applies only to Evo, or if those files in there would work for the incredible?

So it IS S-OFF right? If so, than the instructions are pretty much the same. Different files for recovery though.

CWM 2.5.1.2 Link

CWM 3.0.0.8 Link

Just rename "PB31IMG.zip" and place on root of SD card. (Formatted FAT 32). It will install ClockWorkMod recovery. You can the flash a file to get root, or even better. Flash one of the great ROM's around here on XDA. But of course, flashing a ROM will wipe your phone, if that's important.

Reactions: smashingtool

smashingtool

Dec 27, 2010
Baton Rouge
So it IS S-OFF right? If so, than the instructions are pretty much the same. Different files for recovery though.

CWM 2.5.1.2 Link

CWM 3.0.0.8 Link

Just rename "PB31IMG.zip" and place on root of SD card. (Formatted FAT 32). It will install ClockWorkMod recovery. You can the flash a file to get root, or even better. Flash one of the great ROM's around here on XDA. But of course, flashing a ROM will wipe your phone, if that's important.

Ok, It is a little weird, from my understanding. When in H-Boot, the phone shows S-Off. I can also get into recovery, and when i got rom manager, it was able to install CWM(I dont remember which now...). However, Titanium was unable to do anything for a lack of root, and i didnt have the real superuser(had the ninja temporary one). Flashing the Unrevoked forever .zip didn't seem to do anything. I tried downgrading the phone as well, but it got stuck in one spot.

Regardless, It is s-off. So i guess i could just flash a rom to it? If i downloaded and flashed CM7, would it work and have superuser without me having to do anything more? Because I believe that is the desired end result. I guess i can use z4root to do a temp backup of the apps as well...

D

Deleted member 2776902

Ok, It is a little weird, from my understanding. When in H-Boot, the phone shows S-Off. I can also get into recovery, and when i got rom manager, it was able to install CWM(I dont remember which now...). However, Titanium was unable to do anything for a lack of root, and i didnt have the real superuser(had the ninja temporary one). Flashing the Unrevoked forever .zip didn't seem to do anything. I tried downgrading the phone as well, but it got stuck in one spot.

Regardless, It is s-off. So i guess i could just flash a rom to it? If i downloaded and flashed CM7, would it work and have superuser without me having to do anything more? Because I believe that is the desired end result. I guess i can use z4root to do a temp backup of the apps as well...

Yes, it already has super user built in. Pretty sure all non stock roms do. I'm not aware of any custom ROM that doesn't for that matter. Anyway, if you are using CWM 3.x make sure it is at least 3.0.0.8. The earlier ones (3.0.0.5 notably) had problems wiping. And make sure you wipe (Data/Factory Reset, Cache, and I do Dalvik Cache, and sometimes System too). But the install script for most ROM's will wipe system and others for you.

I recommend NOT backing up apps. Especially when going from Sense -> AOSP. And when using Titanium Backup, NEVER restore Data from the apps. Usually causes problems. If you do restore apps, and have problems. Wipe and install again but get them all from the market. After that, if you flash another release of CM, it will automatically restore your apps for you anyway. Along with most (system) settings.

Happy flashing! And on a side note, CM7's default launcher (ADW) is usually laggy. At least on mine, I would recommend getting Launcher Pro from the market. Much smoother IMO.

tansup3rman

Apr 15, 2009
hey does this work for the HTC Droid Incredible 2 for Verizon?

And can I get Gingerbread on the Incredible 2 after root?

MrWicket

Oct 13, 2010
California
hey does this work for the HTC Droid Incredible 2 for Verizon?

And can I get Gingerbread on the Incredible 2 after root?

so far I haven't heard anything.. I know the DInc 2 has S-Off and permanent root and I saw over on Androidcentral and/or Droid-Life that there was a 1-click tool but it's not unrEVOked.. I'm hoping unrEVOked has something in the works because I've used them and trust them and would like to root my wifes DInc 2 using them if possible to remove the crap. I guess the short answer is I don't think so..

to answer your second question I'd say yes, GB has already been leaked for the DInc2 so it's a matter of time for a Dev to release it as a flashable ROM with Root.

k_nivesout

Mar 27, 2011
The root for dinc2 isn't quite one click or as easy as unrevoked, but its not exactly difficult either. They already have CM7 and MIUI builds as well as gingerbread based sense roms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

We've been working pretty hard to bring you unrEVOked 3.2 with out-of-the-box, one-click support for all Android versions on the Incredible.

Available for Linux, Mac, and Windows:
    http://www.unrevoked.com/recovery/

Please start by visiting the help page and reading it through:

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/unrevoked3

1. Windows users MUST install the HBOOT drivers for this to work:
    http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php?id=public:windows_hboot_driver_install

2. Windows users need to uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). Disabling HTC Sync from the system tray is not enough. They interfere with the root process and will cause problems.

3. When asked for USB connection type, select "Charge Only" and "Remember this".

Special thanks to Sebastian Krahmer for the rageagainstthecage exploit.
    Go into drivers and find Android* and delete. This time when you install the drivers, select the root directory of the extracted modified drivers instead of 32-bit / 64-bit specifically. You should get some message that they are not signed. Accept to install anyway.

Launch the unrevoked program without your phone connected. When prompred, connect your phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
    Just an update, I rerooted with 3.21 and Amon's Recovery and everything worked great. Is there any perk to using Clockwork or should I just stick with what is working me me?
    Didn't wipe anything when I rooted my phone or my friend's. Superuser gets installed automatically, not sure about busybox.
    D
    Deleted member 2776902
    http://noobgui.de/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_if_you're_S-OFF_but_can't_get_root

So i can't get root on my friends incredible. I went to the irc room for unrevoked, and no one responded to my queries, so i found that article, and would really like to know if it applies only to Evo, or if those files in there would work for the incredible?

CWM 2.5.1.2 Link

CWM 3.0.0.8 Link