[TABUNTU] Galaxy Tab 10.1 NATIVE Ubuntu WIFI now with a video

Search This thread

dasacc22

Apr 15, 2010
I'm definitely interested, personally I'm looking for something that could double as a dev environment for android development when im sitting passenger side that doesn't run so hot in the lap :p

If bluetooth was functional out the box, that'd be great too. I'll be receiving a tab in 2 days and this will undoubtedly be one of the first things I'll be playing with.

yalkowni

Feb 2, 2011
LA JOLLA
Does bluetooth work in this so i could connect, my bt keyboard amd mouse

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

yalkowni

Feb 2, 2011
LA JOLLA
Can't you try using the same
Method of how they enabled touch screen on the transformer for this Sent from my T959 using XDA App

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
I think the fact you have to flash this and then back to you normal ROM is going to put people off even trying it, that will change instantly if you can get it to dual boot or maybe even run from a desktop link in Android.

armint

Jan 7, 2009
Touch screen drivers

Maybe I'm stating something obvious here, but I'm going to give it a go anyway: Some googling got me to a galaxy tab teardown page showing that the galaxy tab 10.1 uses the atmel mxt1386 and 3x mxt154 for its touch screen controller (sorry, I can't post a link, the forum software doesn't let me, just google for "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 teardown"). Some more googling got me to the conclusion that there is a linux driver available for this controller in the 3.0 kernel (maybe also in earlier versions, I don't know). The driver is in the file drivers/input/touchscreen/atmel_mxt_ts.c . I think at the very least a backport should be possible. Would it not be easier/cleaner to use this driver than trying to port samsung's android drivers back to linux? What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Armin

Reactions: Unimaginative

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Maybe I'm stating something obvious here, but I'm going to give it a go anyway: Some googling got me to a galaxy tab teardown page showing that the galaxy tab 10.1 uses the atmel mxt1386 and 3x mxt154 for its touch screen controller (sorry, I can't post a link, the forum software doesn't let me, just google for "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 teardown"). Some more googling got me to the conclusion that there is a linux driver available for this controller in the 3.0 kernel (maybe also in earlier versions, I don't know). The driver is in the file drivers/input/touchscreen/atmel_mxt_ts.c . I think at the very least a backport should be possible. Would it not be easier/cleaner to use this driver than trying to port samsung's android drivers back to linux? What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Armin

That sounds like a very logical post, just a shame it's beyond my scope to help out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

kidoucorp

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 24, 2009

Cheers,

Armin

Thanks for the infos.

It appears to be available on Kernel 2.6.39

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/TOUCHSCREEN_ATMEL_MXT.html

ToggleLee

Sep 14, 2011
thank you for your great work!!
yr work is the real tabuntu, doesnt like others local vnc

But i still can't figure it out:( im stupid

i try to do this right: but nvflash told me "not executable magic 7F45"

i would like to know should ubuntu.tar.gz put in /,or /system/etc ?
and others such as nvflash or etc put in system/etc?
i can't found that mmxxxxp11 or 13 also..

Thanks again, i'll happy to share vid guide if i could install it:D

Last edited:
Reactions: gyrra

horatiob

Jul 21, 2009
People what do we need to get this up and running? Please DEVs make it happen... I know you can... I will donate whatever you like/can afford

kmmxracer

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I would also like to see this project continue.

It seem the download link for "ROOTFS" is not working. Any one have it that could share?

chamele0n

Dec 16, 2008
More development on our beloved tabs are always welcome. Especially *nix based. I love ubuntu. I'd also love to see a BT5 release for the grab 10.1 wifi only version that would be awesome. Great work ok your release. Much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Smh the youtube function hates me... click HERE to watch the video...

Touchscreen not working right as of yet... I strongly suggest a USB mouse and Keyboard for this... Touchscreen is pretty much unusable at this time. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

First start off downloading THIS. It is the ROOTFS.. first off it needs to have the /etc/fstab edited properly to include / as mmcblk0p11 instead of 13... I know I know... This is a work in progress....

Next download THIS... Contains the ubuntu kernel and boot information.. the boot.img and system.img are for your stock ANDROID rom of choice.. just extract the IMG's out of the roms and place them in the folder..

Download THIS and place it in the directory you extracted the above files to.

ADB does work.. and you can ADB into your tab.. I have not created Windows directions yet.. but you can pretty much run the same commands...

I AM NOT TO BLAME FOR ANYTHING! This REPARTITIONS your device and ERASES EVERYTHING... you must do a FULL ODIN to restore to STOCK.... I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your device.

remember to chmod +x nvflash and the script...

And wait......... It takes about 20 minutes to flash everything... be patient..

When it is done flashing boot up like you were going to go into CWM recovery... Your recovery is now your linux boot image.. You can use NVFlash to flash back CWM to apply whatever and just flash the linux.img back to partition 8 to get ubuntu back..

Thanks again to LilStevie.. without him this would not be possible...

my github code is availabe here.

If you would like to donate for my work and to the OMFGB/OMGB build box which I own and run click HERE

I'll pretty this up when I have a free minute...
    some screenshots...I finally launched the on-screen keyboard...if you want a video tell me...

SC20120723-183400.jpg

SC20120723-183259.jpg

Actually,I recorded a video of Ubuntu with my phone but took screens of it's playback in Honeycomb(in case of misunderstanding...).
    I think I'm going to give this build a try and hopefully continue the current effort. I really want ubuntu native on my P7510.
    Nice work, Poitee.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 via Tapatalk
    I have a question....Since it replaces the CWM and NOT the Android os, is it possible to dualboot?If yes how?
    It says format everything and then flash the linux...
    But then wouldn't be the Android os be deleted also?how to flash it with out CWM?(I can only think of flashing stock HC 3.2 with odin).

P.S.I am pretty sure that official ICS from sammy will have the 3.1.10 or higher kernel,so wiil this get us closer to touchscreen?
    (http://www.htcmania.com/showpost.php?p=5154863&postcount=7)

The original package in the OP won't delete Android. There is actually an Odin package a few pages back that allows you to keep recory and but remove Android. it mkaes mounting the tablet A LOT easier.

@nighthawk696969:
    The ubuntu installer doesn't REPLACE the recovery...try it yourself...
    if you have problems like rolling screen after flashing download the bootloader from this address(it's named "bootloader.tar.md5" :
    https://sites.google.com/site/arashtarafar/
    @The others:
    WOW...I finally got it passed the installation without the keyboard!!!
    Amazing speed and graphics are good...but I doesn't show battery stats and I don't have WiFi/Bluetooth...;)

You can actually get WiFi working, sadly poitee's instructions weren't clear enough for me to try but you can find it on Rootzwiki if you're up for it.

What would be ideal, although not sure how possible it is would be to use the on screen keyboard but not have it displayed by hdmi out. I'm thinking layers could be the key, if the keyboard was IN a layer not output to the hdmi then we would have tabbuntu that you can hook up to any monitor and use a full size keyboard on the tab.

Just a thought.

You could probably extend the display, though firstly, I don't even know if Ubuntu ARM can do that, secondly, I don't know if our hacked up kernel can do that, and lastly, how much funu would that be if you can't use the touchscreen? If bluetooth was working it could be heaven.