how can i recover my lost.dir folder! ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Search This thread

murdamo305

Dec 17, 2010
Bro.

I need these pictures bak. I have no idea how I lost alllll my files in my camera.

The folder had them all. Over 600 files (that's why I need them!!!!!)

But when I go to change the extension, it doesn't show the picture!!!

What can I do?

MWBehr

Oct 11, 2010
Corpus Christi
Bro.

I need these pictures bak. I have no idea how I lost alllll my files in my camera.

The folder had them all. Over 600 files (that's why I need them!!!!!)

But when I go to change the extension, it doesn't show the picture!!!

What can I do?

Let's start with what exactly you did that resulted in you losing the pictures in the first place.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
do you see a bunch of items in the lost.dir directory?

If so, then try opening some of the smaller ones with an image editing program. You never know... it might still open them. If that's the case then all you need to do is rename them with the proper extensions. Worth a try.

masterotaku

Jul 22, 2010
Spartanburg S.C.
This is why flashing experimental/custom roms is often a process that will teach you to back up your stuff. Sometimes this lesson is learned the hard way....

You can try to mount the partition in Windows or MacOS and throw file recovery software at it, Recuva being one of the better free ones for Windows. Best of luck

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
lost.dir is a filesystem folder, (kinda like if you realy explore and ntfs drive, you'll find a SystemVolume folder, and a few other ones).

Your pictures aren't in the lost.dir folder. And you're probably one of the ones who had their internal SD wiped while using the dead horse kernel. Sorry to say, but there's no way to get them back.

murdamo305

Dec 17, 2010
This is why flashing experimental/custom roms is often a process that will teach you to back up your stuff. Sometimes this lesson is learned the hard way....

You can try to mount the partition in Windows or MacOS and throw file recovery software at it, Recuva being one of the better free ones for Windows. Best of luck

That's why I remove my sd card everytome. I have no idea what happen.

Ima try that app

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
Here's your situation:

You = lost information, want it back.

Problem = the way sdcards store info + the filesystem = pretty much impossible to recover usable info from your sdcard (specially since it has been written to again, no matter what you think). Sorry to say, but you're SOL.

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
lost.dir is a filesystem maintenance folder, pretty much exclusively for OSX use. It's not a "trashcan" or anything like that. It's not user accessible.

Besides, that kernel doesn't have code in it that says "move everything to lost.dir". It's got a bug in it that essentially runs a remove recursively and forced on the /sdcard/ directory.

roadrash7

Aug 20, 2010
Do a "check disk". It worked for me when i corrupted my memory card.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

drcrappants

Jan 31, 2011
lost.dir is a filesystem folder, (kinda like if you realy explore and ntfs drive, you'll find a SystemVolume folder, and a few other ones).

Your pictures aren't in the lost.dir folder. And you're probably one of the ones who had their internal SD wiped while using the dead horse kernel. Sorry to say, but there's no way to get them back.

can we delete it? there's nothing in it at all for me

hubsabubs

Apr 25, 2013
I dont appreciate some of your assumptions

Just to automatically assume someone has their phone rooted and or flashed right off the rip is stupid. My fiancée just came to me telling me all her music on her SD Card was gone. Windows says the memory is still occupied however I found all the music files renamed to digit only filenames with no file extensions in the Lost.Dir. I renamed one to Test.Mp3 and opened it. Kabam it played a 3 and a half minute song. So to tell someone that welp your files are gone sorry nothing you can do this is what you get for doing something that they might not even have done in the first place. Her phone is stock no mods, no roms no tweaks. It is a rare occurance that happens in the Android OS. Not a direct result of what someone might have been doing.

david_g82

Mar 20, 2013
Just to automatically assume someone has their phone rooted and or flashed right off the rip is stupid. My fiancée just came to me telling me all her music on her SD Card was gone. Windows says the memory is still occupied however I found all the music files renamed to digit only filenames with no file extensions in the Lost.Dir. I renamed one to Test.Mp3 and opened it. Kabam it played a 3 and a half minute song. So to tell someone that welp your files are gone sorry nothing you can do this is what you get for doing something that they might not even have done in the first place. Her phone is stock no mods, no roms no tweaks. It is a rare occurance that happens in the Android OS. Not a direct result of what someone might have been doing.

100% agree with you, i also suddenly lost my pictures from my ext sd card, i founded the lost.dir with the files i just rename with the JPG extension and the pictures come back to life.

For everyone that append the same, don't lost your hope, you DON'T loose your files rename with the correct extension and you'll recover the lost file.

Droidman4.4

Feb 15, 2014
help

After I used sdformatter to do a full overwrite of my internal sdcard my android tablet mounts it but no longer shows the internal sdcard please help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cleaned thread!

Please, don't profanity post.