Magnetic POGO Cable

Search This thread
Jan 22, 2013
Just got my pogo charger in the mail today.

I don't think it's pulling the 2x charge speed like I've heard, but the increase in charging is enough to let me use Splashtop while charging without losing a charge.

I went from losing 1% every 15mins to gaining 1% about every 10mins.

I'm loving being able to connect my flash drive to my tablet while still charging it now. Probably the most useful part of the charger for me.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone that uses their Tablet over long periods of time and need to be able to charge it while in use.

Jan 22, 2013
Where did you hear that?

Can't post links yet, but it was on the forums at androidcentral.

I'm pretty sure I saw it mentioned a few other places too, but I think they might of meant that they were charging the battery twice as fast while under load, not actual power draw, which I would believe since very little of the draw through the microUSB was actually going to charge the battery. Most of it was just going to power the device.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Yeah I'm going to track-trace, selecting post/ems, then putting in the tracking number "RRxxxxxxxxxxxKR", then selecting track shipment with options. In the top tab where it says 'select country,' I select United States (USPS) and it opens a new mini window that shows me USPS info with that tracking #.

Yep, that's what I did and it didn't show didly squat! It came today, USPS just left it with regular, it wasn't registered.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Where did you hear that?
I got mine today, using BMW, I saw 320ma from the micro-USB port and 860ma from the POGO just watching that app.

redthunda69

Aug 16, 2010
Atlanta
I received my pogo cable today, despite my tracking number being inaccurate. Oh well, at least its finally charging my device.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

derobert

Aug 8, 2010
The correct address but wrong tracking number?

Yes, the "sorry we missed you" notice has the correct address on it. Just a different tracking number (but its a RR...KR number, so I'm confident its the right package).

I imagine that the seller just got the tracking numbers mixed up and sent me someone else's tracking no.

I went back about a dozen pages and didn't see this asked, so sorry if it has already been answered.

How well do the pogo cables fit in the cutouts of the various TPU cases that are available? I've already ordered both my case and my cable and I hope they play nice together.

TheShoura

Jun 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Where exactly did you come across this information? The USB spec limits cable length because of latency issues with bi-directional communication, not volt drop. I have happily connected a ptz camera to an unpowered USB over cat5 adapter with 25 meters of cat5 connecting them and the 5 volt motors work fine.

I don't know where you got 2.5A from either, USB 2.0, regardless of connector type supports a maximum current of 1.8A. USB 3.0 can support up to 5A

FYI, there is a current limit coded in the kernel of 2A. It could probably be increased a small amount, but the lipo charging regulator in the tablet is limited to 2.5A

I am so glad you posted that because I made a lot of mistakes in that post

I had a bit of confusion... the max draw I thought for USB 2.0 was 2.5 watts, not amps... Its 500 miliamps - but that was in the first revision - newer revision of specification allows (from what I read on wiki) 1.5A... I breifly read the USB spec whitesheet saying something about being able to draw more in certain scenarios so 1.8A is likely the theoretical maximum over USB2.0 hardware

I have happily connected a ptz camera to an unpowered USB over cat5 adapter with 25 meters of cat5 connecting them and the 5 volt motors work fine.
Erm... *facepalm* .... USB over CAT5.... is totally different. Try doing a 25 foot USB cable and see if that works ;)
They make longer USB cables but they require repeaters... after doing some research, I found that the info I had was wrong... I found the explanation you gave me when asking another person and this is the first time I've used the info in any context without looking it up first - turns out i had this wrong too lol
...guess that's my fault for posting when I'm half asleep >_>

FYI, there is a current limit coded in the kernel of 2A. It could probably be increased a small amount, but the lipo charging regulator in the tablet is limited to 2.5A

Well the hardware supports up to 2.5A - if the kernel is modified we could probably get a good 2.5A charging rate which would be nice considering the 9,000mah battery! I don't think it is a good idea by any stretch to push the hardware that much though! Given this information - there's no real point in going past 2A... The Samsung supplied charger can output 2.1A IIRC (either that or 2.0A, can't remember exactly and too lazy to walk upstiars to get it right now)

plastikowl

Jun 14, 2008
I received a notice today as well. I had already contacted the seller out of frustration and they were prepared to ship another to me on the 24th if I had not gotten it by tomorrow. They responded on the same day, couldn't really ask for much more to be honest. Will have to test it out tomorrow when I pick it up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Jan 22, 2013
I just noticed when using a flash drive on my tablet.

Once I start using the flash drive, the pogo charger stops drawing power. I start losing power at about 900mA as reported from Android Tuner.

After I unmount and disconnect the flash drive, the tablet still refuses to charge the tablet.

Once I power down the tablet and reboot it, the pogo charger will start charging as normal. (+1.4mA just watching the battery monitor)

The tablet is running AOSP+, GApps, and KTManta. All of them were the latest versions.

Wondering if there's anybody else out there that uses USB OTG that can confirm/deny that the pogo stops charging when using a flash drive.

lKBZl

Mar 23, 2012
Barcelona
Just got my cable, 8 days after I ordered it, from Korea to Spain, very happy with it :)

Attachments

• IMG_20130123_121047.jpg
    IMG_20130123_121047.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20130123_121147.jpg
    IMG_20130123_121147.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 270

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I just noticed when using a flash drive on my tablet.

Once I start using the flash drive, the pogo charger stops drawing power. I start losing power at about 900mA as reported from Android Tuner.

After I unmount and disconnect the flash drive, the tablet still refuses to charge the tablet.

Once I power down the tablet and reboot it, the pogo charger will start charging as normal. (+1.4mA just watching the battery monitor)

The tablet is running AOSP+, GApps, and KTManta. All of them were the latest versions.

Wondering if there's anybody else out there that uses USB OTG that can confirm/deny that the pogo stops charging when using a flash drive.
Yes, I can comfirm that issue, just tried it. Plugged in my OTG flash drive and the charge went from 1133ma charge to a discharge of 800ma. I removed the flash drive and it didn't go back to the higher charging rate but stayed just above/below 0ma. It didn't resume the higher rate till I removed the POGO and reconncted it. Hmmm, all is not well in POGO land!!!!

I just tried plugging in my OTG flash drive and then the POGO, still doesn't charge. I wonder if this is an OTG support problem?

I have questions or issues with N10 charging myself. Anywhere you can read that a Li-Ion cell shouldn't be charged past a cell level of 2.5V to maybe 3V, yet I've seen the N10 goes to 3.011V. Anything over 2.5V is considered as overcharging.

If your on AC power, charging at 100%, after a period of time the N10 will stop charging. Around that same level, if you put it into sleep mode when awakened, it'll will cease charging also.

There is supposed to be some new type of Li-Ion cells that are 4.35V but from what I've read they are only of the cylinder type or round cells used in PC laptop battery packs. Most of which I read states that a Li-Ion cell at 4.2V is at 70% charge but the N10 at 4.2V is close to 90% or above.

EDIT
I tried to boot up with the POGO and flash drive connected. This must really confuse the issue as seen in the attached screen from Battery Monitor Widget it's discharging in the 750-800ma range so I removed the flash drive and it's only charging at 32ma. I removed and reconnected the POGO and it goes up over an 1A.

View attachment 1670300

Last edited:

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
I take it that this one (and the one mentioned in the other pogo charger thread) are no longer for sale. Any links provided don't take me to a pogo charger and searches on ebay come back with no results for the Nexus 10. Looks like I missed the boat here.

Jan 22, 2013
Yes, I can comfirm that issue, just tried it. Plugged in my OTG flash drive and the charge went from 1133ma charge to a discharge of 800ma. I removed the flash drive and it didn't go back to the higher charging rate but stayed just above/below 0ma. It didn't resume the higher rate till I removed the POGO and reconncted it. Hmmm, all is not well in POGO land!!!!

Dang, that was one of the main reasons I wanted the POGO charger, to free up the microUSB port for use.

Hopefully it's just a software issue that can be fixed in the future.

cadiken

Mar 19, 2010
Tracking for these things are terrible. My tracking number says my pogo was delivered this morning at 10:48am in Sterling Virginia; I live in Florida! Hope they get this straightened out. I got notice that it shipped on Jan 10th.

derobert

Aug 8, 2010
Tracking for these things are terrible. My tracking number says my pogo was delivered this morning at 10:48am in Sterling Virginia; I live in Florida! Hope they get this straightened out. I got notice that it shipped on Jan 10th.

Hah, you had my tracking number!

Unfortunately, the tracking number I had was California...

I suspect you'll get yours in a few days.

BTW, mine works well. Even on a cheap 3rd party 2A charger.

siviog1

Feb 18, 2008
I received my pogo charger today. Has anyone tried modding the cable to get audio out of the other pogo pins???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So are there any places currently selling these?

Not sure I got this from the eBay seller in South Korea that had his ad taken down.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

You got it really fast !

Where are you located?

How fast is the chargeing

Thanks!!!,

Yeah I was surprised too! the seller had an option for express shipping when I paid for $10 more, I didn't have a problem spending a few bucks more.

I haven't used it enough yet to notice any faster charging, it went from 70% to 98% in a little less than 2 hours.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Let's see if the pictures will work yet............

ResizeofIMG_0100_zps487a912b.jpg

ResizeofIMG_0103_zps5ccac530.jpg
    I searched high and low and finally found an adapter that puts out 2.1A on each of two outlets - concurrently. Excellent quality. Same spec on each channel as oem charger on its single outlet. Great fit and finish too. Can support two high demand devices at once.

I've been using it with the Pogo cable, and it is perfect. Link:

Ventev r2200 AC Travel Charger, Dual 2A USB Port 110-220v With MicroUSB Cable
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSC7FW0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
    It's here!

Just wanted to let everyone know I got my Pogo Cable today!

It is in my opinion extremely high quality build. I have so far used it with my wall charger and my car charger and it works fantastic.

If I didn't know better I'd say was an OEM from Samsung or Google.

I know I know post pictures..........

OK I'll get some made and post them very soon.

Clutch
    Just out of interest, has anyone actually measured what current the nexus actually draws from the charger?

I've just spliced in my ammeter and with the battery showing 45% its currently drawing 0.59A and this is with the stock charger and whilst typing this. If I put the nexus into standby then it drops to 0.50A

I'll do some further testing this week charging from 0-100% this week and let you know what I find.

Btw this is using the USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2