[Q] Multiple questions about the Moto G

Search This thread

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
hi everybody!

sorry for the non-descriptive title, but i have some questions i'd like to ask here. i just got my moto g 2 days ago, i switched from a samsung galaxy s+ (with cm10.2) so this is quite the change for me, hardware and software wise.

[ANSWERED] 1. first i missed the possibility to swipe my keyboard to type, i found many different apps for that, but my question would be what is the keyboard included in cyanogenmod? because since this can 'see' everything i type i want an app for that i can trust...

[ANSWERED] 2. i really liked the cLock app for time and weather in cm, but google-ing 'clock app' wasnt the most helpful thing i've ever done ^^ so here my queston would be aswel whats the cyanogenmod cLock app and where can i find it?!

[ANSWERED] 3. next thing would be how can i get something like pdroid on this device (i had it on the sgs+)? i would need root i assume, i saw lots of different methods for that aswel. one with like contacting motorola to get the rom unlocked or something like that. so whats the easiest way to get a privacy control on the moto g? i remember something like the new android has some inbuilt setting for that?!?

[ANSWERED] 4. something that is irritating me quite a lot are the software keys, because samsung has the back key on the right side and the moto has it on the left side. also i dont understand why there would be a key for recent apps instead of a menu key. same here: i saw lots of different methods to change that, some even with adding or getting rid of lines of the code. ok i managed to install cm on my sgs, but thats a little out of my capabilities ^^ so again what would be the easiest way to change the buttons around?

[ANSWERED] 5. another thing would be, how do i turn off the vibration when using the keyboard? i tried the setting under 'sound' -> 'vibrate on touch' (or something along those lines) but that didnt turn off all of the vibration, for example its still vibrating when i use the keyboard but not anymore when i open apps or menus.

maybe there is even the possibility to install a stable version of cyanogenmod on the moto g which would solve most of my issues? but since this is running so smoothly i dont want any nightly builds, alphas or betas on this thing right now...

btw i am using the nova launcher in case that makes any difference for any of the questions above!?

also i include this screenshot with all the version numbers in it because it might be useful: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JftqugO1xsbnh1dTBrQzZVWXc/edit?usp=sharing

thanks a bunch in advance and for reading and i hope someone is willing and able to help me out here!:fingers-crossed:

EDIT:

all the questions above have been answered! only one more question is open atm, [ here ] thanks to everyone who contributed so far!

Last edited:

insanezz

Jan 3, 2014
hi everybody!

sorry for the non-descriptive title, but i have some questions i'd like to ask here. i just got my moto g 2 days ago, i switched from a samsung galaxy s+ (with cm10.2) so this is quite the change for me, hardware and software wise.

1. first i missed the possibility to swipe my keyboard to type, i found many different apps for that, but my question would be what is the keyboard included in cyanogenmod? because since this can 'see' everything i type i want an app for that i can trust...

2. i really liked the cLock app for time and weather in cm, but google-ing 'clock app' wasnt the most helpful thing i've ever done ^^ so here my queston would be aswel whats the cyanogenmod cLock app and where can i find it?!

3. next thing would be how can i get something like pdroid on this device (i had it on the sgs+)? i would need root i assume, i saw lots of different methods for that aswel. one with like contacting motorola to get the rom unlocked or something like that. so whats the easiest way to get a privacy control on the moto g? i remember something like the new android has some inbuilt setting for that?!?

4. something that is irritating me quite a lot are the software keys, because samsung has the back key on the right side and the moto has it on the left side. also i dont understand why there would be a key for recent apps instead of a menu key. same here: i saw lots of different methods to change that, some even with adding or getting rid of lines of the code. ok i managed to install cm on my sgs, but thats a little out of my capabilities ^^ so again what would be the easiest way to change the buttons around?

5. another thing would be, how do i turn off the vibration when using the keyboard? i tried the setting under 'sound' -> 'vibrate on touch' (or something along those lines) but that didnt turn off all of the vibration, for example its still vibrating when i use the keyboard but not anymore when i open apps or menus.

maybe there is even the possibility to install a stable version of cyanogenmod on the moto g which would solve most of my issues? but since this is running so smoothly i dont want any nightly builds, alphas or betas on this thing right now...

btw i am using the nova launcher in case that makes any difference for any of the questions above!?

also i include this screenshot with all the version numbers in it because it might be useful: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JftqugO1xsbnh1dTBrQzZVWXc/edit?usp=sharing

thanks a bunch in advance and for reading and i hope someone is willing and able to help me out here!:fingers-crossed:

You can install the stock google keyboard from the play store for using swype, And there is cyangenmod version available for the G, you should go to the Moto G Original Android Development section of the forum for that. The vibration option should be in your sound / keyboard settings so you just need to look better i gues.

Reactions: bad1080

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
You can install the stock google keyboard from the play store for using swype, And there is cyangenmod version available for the G, you should go to the Moto G Original Android Development section of the forum for that. The vibration option should be in your sound / keyboard settings so you just need to look better i gues.

hi and thanks for your answer! sadly i dont know which one 'the stock google keyboard' is, a link to the right app in the play store would be helpful...

Last edited:

insanezz

Jan 3, 2014

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012

insanezz

Jan 3, 2014
thanks again, sadly the play store says: 'This app is incompatible with all of your devices.' and it seems this is because of some kind of regional restrictions for this app and/or my country. i cant imagine what and why that would be but i cant download it from there, is there any other way to get this? like an .apk or something?

Maybe it's not available in your country, im not sure if there's an apk for that. I suggest you google for : google keyboard or something like that

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1032 met Tapatalk

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
Maybe it's not available in your country, im not sure if there's an apk for that. I suggest you google for : google keyboard or something like that

yea, thats what i was thinking after i posted my answer, sometimes my brain is in stupid mode *derp...
i found it here and i include the link for people with the same problem, the link is in german though:

http://www.androidnext.de/apps/google-keyboard-kitkat-tastatur-fuer-alle-geraete-apk-download/

and that works pretty good, thanks for the recommendation!

edit: i think i found the cLock app i was talking about, or a very similar one from the same developer it seems:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dvtonder.chronus

its a very nice clock and weather app, i can even do more (like calendar). thats 2 down 3 to go!

Last edited:
3. next thing would be how can i get something like pdroid on this device (i had it on the sgs+)? i would need root i assume, i saw lots of different methods for that aswel. one with like contacting motorola to get the rom unlocked or something like that. so whats the easiest way to get a privacy control on the moto g? i remember something like the new android has some inbuilt setting for that?!?

4. something that is irritating me quite a lot are the software keys, because samsung has the back key on the right side and the moto has it on the left side. also i dont understand why there would be a key for recent apps instead of a menu key. same here: i saw lots of different methods to change that, some even with adding or getting rid of lines of the code. ok i managed to install cm on my sgs, but thats a little out of my capabilities ^^ so again what would be the easiest way to change the buttons around?

I suggest to install Xposed framework (Root needed), and then you can have this features with Gravity Box and Xprivacy (these are modules for Xposed).
In order to root, you have to unlock the bootloader (follow the instruction on Motorola website), then install a Custom recovery (I suggest Philz one) and supersu from Play store :)

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
I suggest to install Xposed framework (Root needed), and then you can have this features with Gravity Box and Xprivacy (these are modules for Xposed).
In order to root, you have to unlock the bootloader (follow the instruction on Motorola website), then install a Custom recovery (I suggest Philz one) and supersu from Play store :)

hi and thank you for your contribution! i have unlocked and rooted my device successfully and installed the xposed framework. i havent quite got the hang of how xprivacy works as of now since its a little different from pdroid (and somewhat confusing imo). but thats just a matter of time i guess. i'll start reading here: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy#xprivacy or is there a better quick start guide?

i assume i can uninstall the 'xprivacy installer' (the one from google play) after i installed 'xprivacy'? and that gravity box is for the softkeys and its this one here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554049 ? i'll look into that tomorrow, since its getting late here and i dont wanna mess up now ^^

thanks again!

hi and thank you for your contribution! i have unlocked and rooted my device successfully and installed the xposed framework. i havent quite got the hang of how xprivacy works as of now since its a little different from pdroid (and somewhat confusing imo). but thats just a matter of time i guess. i'll start reading here: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy#xprivacy or is there a better quick start guide?

i assume i can uninstall the 'xprivacy installer' (the one from google play) after i installed 'xprivacy'? and that gravity box is for the softkeys and its this one here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554049 ? i'll look into that tomorrow, since its getting late here and i dont wanna mess up now ^^

thanks again!

Mornin', you're very welcome!
Xprivacy it's kind of complicated, but that reading will help you. I admit I don't use it, but I know it gives you full control on privacy and this is what you were looking for :) As you said, it's just a matter of time!
Btw you can install modules directly from Xposed Installer application, so you can bypass the Play Store.

Yes that's gravity box: it's very good and popular, you can surely reverse/set all the software keys, but also do a lot of modding!
It's more intuitive than Xprivacy, just go ahead options and try them, it's safe!

Good luck and forgive my english!

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
Mornin', you're very welcome!
Xprivacy it's kind of complicated, but that reading will help you. I admit I don't use it, but I know it gives you full control on privacy and this is what you were looking for :) As you said, it's just a matter of time!
Btw you can install modules directly from Xposed Installer application, so you can bypass the Play Store.

Yes that's gravity box: it's very good and popular, you can surely reverse/set all the software keys, but also do a lot of modding!
It's more intuitive than Xprivacy, just go ahead options and try them, it's safe!

Good luck and forgive my english!

i am no native english tongue myself, so i dont notice anything wrong with your english. no need to excuse, i make mistakes myself.

i was under the impression that you could do 'stupid' stuff with xprivacy, like i was able to deny my camera app access to the camera with pdroid. that was a good way to test if it was properly working. so i tried and deny firefox access to 'internet' but that didnt seem to work, but then again it especially said its no going to break apps. i dig into all of this further later on.

just a question, what would be a good way to verify it is working like its supposed to? talking about xprivacy here...

edit: and to answer my question no.5: there is another setting for vibration in the keyboard itself, so you have to go through -> language and input -> select settings on your keyboard -> vibrate on key push (or sth along those lines), so basically you have to turn it off twice.

Last edited:
i am no native english tongue myself, so i dont notice anything wrong with your english. no need to excuse, i make mistakes myself.

i was under the impression that you could do 'stupid' stuff with xprivacy, like i was able to deny my camera app access to the camera with pdroid. that was a good way to test if it was properly working. so i tried and deny firefox access to 'internet' but that didnt seem to work, but then again it especially said its no going to break apps. i dig into all of this further later on.

just a question, what would be a good way to verify it is working like its supposed to? talking about xprivacy here...

edit: and to answer my question no.5: there is another setting for vibration in the keyboard itself, so you have to go through -> language and input -> select settings on your keyboard -> vibrate on key push (or sth along those lines), so basically you have to turn it off twice.

May @mokkami can help us understanding Xprivacy

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Yeah, of course! I thought you managed this already! Keyboard is like an app itself, and has its own settings (i.e. vibration)

mokkami

Dec 28, 2009
Düsseldorf (DE)

so i tried and deny firefox access to 'internet' but that didnt seem to work
I just tried it and i had no problem to deny the access for Firefox. When you open xprivacy in the app list tap on the Firefox Logo, not on the name or the checkbox. If you do so the details will open. If you now tick the category "Internet" then you will see that it is checked as a square, not as a hook. If it is a square it is only partially blocked. If you go now into the details of the category "Internet", you will see, that not all options are checked. Some are even marked red because they might be essential for the functionalty of the specific app. If you check also these and maybe also all others, then you can prevent Firefox of getting access to the Internet. If you check all items in Internet manually you'll see that category internet has now a hook than a square.

but then again it especially said its no going to break apps.

I did not really get what you wanted to say with this.

just a question, what would be a good way to verify it is working like its supposed to?

You can check for example all outgoing connections to the internet from your device. I have not tested this tool, or similar like that, but i will now because i just had the idea :) Else you can also prevent Facebook app to connect. I use Auto Hide Softkey App. I can for example prevent that it uses the overlay function, so it can not modify the UI and hide the Navbar.

Xprivacy is a very powerful tool. If you want it more simple, you can activate the in Android but Disabled inbuilt AppOPS App (search for AppOPS). But it is also less powerful.

I bought xprivacy. If you buy it, you can download the restrictions automatically and upload yours for others. You are also able to export end import the settings if licensed. Also nice that you can buy it via Paypal because i do not have a Credit Card (and i don't want).

but google-ing 'clock app' wasnt the most helpful thing i've ever done ^^
You should definitely work on your Googling skills :p
Try "best android clock apps" "List of android clocks" and so on, there are dozens.

My friend, you are really funny :)
Cyanogenmod just got a snapshot Status few days ago. It is one step ahead being a nightly and to steps behind beeing stable ;)

Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Oh and for some settings you do you also have to restart your phone. But actually it will tell you to do so by displaying a toast.

Last edited:

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
I just tried it and i had no problem to deny the access for Firefox. When you open xprivacy in the app list tap on the Firefox Logo, not on the name or the checkbox. If you do so the details will open. If you now tick the category "Internet" then you will see that it is checked as a square, not as a hook. If it is a square it is only partially blocked. If you go now into the details of the category "Internet", you will see, that not all options are checked. Some are even marked red because they might be essential for the functionalty of the specific app. If you check also these and maybe also all others, then you can prevent Firefox of getting access to the Internet. If you check all items in Internet manually you'll see that category internet has now a hook than a square.

thanks for the explanation! i clicked on the firefox logo but i didnt know you can go even deeper into each section for permissions, that explains it!

I did not really get what you wanted to say with this.

well you explained it yourself pretty much, the app was designed to not break apps in the way they work but restrict them from your privat data. so when i clicked firefox'es internet permission and it had the square, i disabled some but not all of it. thats all i was saying ;)

You can check for example all outgoing connections to the internet from your device. I have not tested this tool, or similar like that, but i will now because i just had the idea :) Else you can also prevent Facebook app to connect. I use Auto Hide Softkey App. I can for example prevent that it uses the overlay function, so it can not modify the UI and hide the Navbar.

Xprivacy is a very powerful tool. If you want it more simple, you can activate the in Android but Disabled inbuilt AppOPS App (search for AppOPS). But it is also less powerful.

I bought xprivacy. If you buy it, you can download the restrictions automatically and upload yours for others. You are also able to export end import the settings if licensed. Also nice that you can buy it via Paypal because i do not have a Credit Card (and i don't want).

thats good news i can buy it without credit card, i will consider it. that sounds like a real benefit you get for paying.

You should definitely work on your Googling skills :p
Try "best android clock apps" "List of android clocks" and so on, there are dozens.

Hope that helps.

yea i ansered somewhere above that i have found the cLock app, or its successor. thanks nevertheless!

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012

i wasnt on my computer for quiet some time so i couldnt answer on this thread, my apologies.

i bought the pro version of xprivacy with paypal too and i synced my permissions for all apps with the cloud or crowd. it could find and sync most of my apps which is a nice and easy way to get around the ridiculous amount of permissions to set for each app.

can you confirm that most of the synced crowd settings make sense in the way of privacy protection? because i havent looked too much into all those settings but even when i did i couldnt quiet understand them in depth...

also @Landrea thanks for recommending gravity box, that thing is amazing! i was able to restore most of the cyanogenmod settings i was missing, great! also i could reconfigure my softkeys, but i am thinking about this app here to maximize my usable screensize:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.hidesoftkeys
or
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tsorn.FullScreen

or is there a setting for that in gravity box i missed?

also @Landrea thanks for recommending gravity box, that thing is amazing! i was able to restore most of the cyanogenmod settings i was missing, great! also i could reconfigure my softkeys, but i am thinking about this app here to maximize my usable screensize:

or

You're welcome!
Check navigation bar settings in gravity box, you can change the size of the soft keys and gain space.
Go for that apps if you think you need more usable screensize (hard to believe)

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Videotel

robin0800

Jan 22, 2012
Brighton
Google Pixel 7a
i wasnt on my computer for quiet some time so i couldnt answer on this thread, my apologies.

i bought the pro version of xprivacy with paypal too and i synced my permissions for all apps with the cloud or crowd. it could find and sync most of my apps which is a nice and easy way to get around the ridiculous amount of permissions to set for each app.

can you confirm that most of the synced crowd settings make sense in the way of privacy protection? because i havent looked too much into all those settings but even when i did i couldnt quiet understand them in depth...

or

Its called extended desktop in gravity box and you may see it called immersive mode in other roms it is all the same thing.

bad1080

Jul 29, 2012
Sent from my Commodore 64 using Videotel

thats a joke right? 0.o if not kudos! ^^

Its called extended desktop in gravity box and you may see it called immersive mode in other roms it is all the same thing.

i wondered what that would be and imagined something for screen transmission (chromecast) or something like that, thanks for clearing that up! best to have as little extra programs as needed on my device... cool gravity box got that covered aswel, liking this more and more!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi everybody!

1. first i missed the possibility to swipe my keyboard to type, i found many different apps for that, but my question would be what is the keyboard included in cyanogenmod? because since this can 'see' everything i type i want an app for that i can trust...

2. i really liked the cLock app for time and weather in cm, but google-ing 'clock app' wasnt the most helpful thing i've ever done ^^ so here my queston would be aswel whats the cyanogenmod cLock app and where can i find it?!

5. another thing would be, how do i turn off the vibration when using the keyboard? i tried the setting under 'sound' -> 'vibrate on touch' (or something along those lines) but that didnt turn off all of the vibration, for example its still vibrating when i use the keyboard but not anymore when i open apps or menus.

hi and thanks for your answer! sadly i dont know which one 'the stock google keyboard' is, a link to the right app in the play store would be helpful, is it this one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.uniquedroid.appkeyboarddebugsettings&hl=de

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

Here you go

thanks again, sadly the play store says: 'This app is incompatible with all of your devices.' and it seems this is because of some kind of regional restrictions for this app and/or my country. i cant imagine what and why that would be but i cant download it from there, is there any other way to get this? like an .apk or something?

You're welcome!
    Check navigation bar settings in gravity box, you can change the size of the soft keys and gain space.
    Go for that apps if you think you need more usable screensize (hard to believe)

'extended desktop' is really helpfull imo, it doesnt matter if youre reading with the kindle app, playing a game or just browsing the extra space is really nice to have. and an app isnt even neccessary thanks to the awesome xframework with gravity box ;)