Xbmc to Chromecast - Just got easier

Search This thread

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Updated - This is a how to on Casting Xbmc from Computer to TV for Free using the Chrome Browser. No more player core factory file needed and seems to play all formats including Live Streams.

http://youtu.be/4tm7-micx1s Instructional Video

Step 1. Go into Chrome Browser and add the Google Cast Extension at
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

Step 2. Download and install XBMC Windows version 13.1 Gotham at
http://xbmc.org/download/

Step 3. Demonstration

Start Chromecast

Open Chrome Browser.....Hit Google Cast Button....Cast this Tab to Beta-Click down arrow on far right.....Cast Entire Screen-Experimental.....Click your Chromecast......Click Yes to Screen Sharing Request.

Start XBMC

Start your show and Chromecast automatically finds the Chrome Browser and plays the video on your Big TV.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: nqk

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
This should play anything that plays on-computer. However it should be noted that it adds to CPU load on the computer as content is being recompressed on-the-fly and sent to Chromecast. Also, the quality of the image sent to Chromecast will be affected by your desktop resolution. Tab/Desktop casting gets iffy above 720p.

Reactions: jblaze10

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
its a quick and dirty workaround but unfortunately the Cast a Screen option does not work for systems than have more than one screen.
It will cast all the screens at once and does not let you select one or the other.

XBMC really needs to add CCast support to their system.

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Did anyone try this solution from computer to TV. Did it work okay or was there lag? Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
This is just casting the desktop, a standard Chromecast capability that's nothing to do with XBMC. Performance will likely be poor for most people, and it puts a heavy load on your desktop CPU.

Last edited:

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Ok, sorry this wasn't useful to everyone.

UOTE=DJames1;53633579]This is just casting the desktop, a standard Chromecast capability that's nothing to do with XBMC. Performance will likely be poor for most people, and it puts a heavy load on your desktop CPU.

Move along, nothing to see here...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
No need to get personal. It is a valid point. This method requires better than average network conditions and computer performance.

To summarize, this method...
+ Is easier to set up than messing with playercorefactory
+ Supports anything XBMC can play on the computer
- Requires good network condition, or there may skipping or reduced frame rate
- Requires good computer performance, or there may skipping or reduced frame rate
- Computer cannot be used for other tasks during operation
- Limited to 720p, also may be scaled if desktop/tab resolution is not 720p

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Lets also be clear about something here....
All this talk about methodology to stream XBMC is really just limited to the Video Add Ons that stream web based channel content.
You can already stream all the local Library content to CCast using Yatse or any DLNA content player with CCast support like aVia.Both are in app purchases to get the feature but work like a charm.
What you don't get is transcoding which XBMC does not do no matter what you do....

This method simply uses Chrome to transcode (and badly I might add) whatever appears on the XBMC screen.
It works but it is similar to using a screwdriver to hammer in a Nail!
A Hammer would be better....

People mention Plex because it too has Video Channels you can add to it....Problem is not as many channels as are available for XBMC but then again since XBMC has moved to a new codebase (Gotham) a whole slew of channels have broken anyway!

If we really want to come up with a useful solution here what would be the best thing going forward would be to code a Converter that can take the Channel information from an XBMC Channel and convert it for use in Plex...

Plex does do transcoding and supports CCast which XBMC doesn't do and from my conversations with the Devs over there NEVER WILL!
They are simply not interested in supporting CCast and Transcode is not what they consider a core goal!

Thats one of the reasons Plex exists at all!
XBMC Dev's refusal to implement Transcode....It was needed for their fork of XBMC (which became PHT Plex Home Theater) and so they created PMS (Plex Media Server)

I love XBMC and have it installed on a few dedicated HTPCs here....
But without direct CCast support it's only useful as a direct HDMI connect project!
It is a frontend for an HTPC and thats all they ever intend it to ever be!

So if you really want to use XBMC you should start looking into building a cheap HTPC to run it....
If you don't skimp too much on the Power and make a machine capable of transcoding without breaking a sweat, you can also install PMS and get the best of both worlds on one machine!

Either that or hound the hell out of the developer of Yatse and get him to make the Add On Support work...it works on the Android unit directly but not to the CCast.

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Hi,

I have tried on the fly transcoding through Plex, Bubbleupnp and VLC. The truth is it works ok but so much of the quality is lost you are better of with a wire.

Last edited:

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Are you talking about playing from Xbmc? You made this mistake the last time we talked also. Are you sure you even know what on the fly transcoding is?

No my computer is just fine and I get 1080P with full surround sound from Plex....So I don't know why your thinking 720p Stereo is better than that....

Last edited:

tharmor

Jun 18, 2013
Xbmc mobile to chromecast is what i am looking for.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Free mobile app

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Are you talking about playing from Xbmc? You made this mistake the last time we talked also. Are you sure you even know what on the fly transcoding is?

No I'm talking about Channels from Plex!
XBMC channels is the only thing this is good for and you would probably get better results on screen just going to the sites themselves.
This method you are using at BEST gets 20 FPS and minimal Stereo sound where some of the sites the XBMC channels use sometimes have better versions with Surround Sound,,,,So Yes your method works....But it's a poor way to transcode an XBMC output.

XBMC does NO TRANSCODING PERIOD! Did you read my post regarding all of this?

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Okay, Of course then that's how you are getting 1080p. You are just viewing plex channels and are not doing any transcoding. That's what I thought all along. I was talking about using Xbmc and VLC to do on the fly transcoding.

nij999

Apr 19, 2011
Hi Vicent

I was hoping you may be able to help on one of your previous methods of Xbmc from computer to chromecast using bluestack

Im trying to use Bubbleupnp but I get the message Failed to connect to Google Play Services for casting- network error

I've downloaded the chromecast app on bluestack but i get the message "no chromecast found on bluestack" it seems it not searching my network which has two chromecast on

any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Okay, Of course then that's how you are getting 1080p. You are just viewing plex channels and are not doing any transcoding. That's what I thought all along. I was talking about using Xbmc and VLC to do on the fly transcoding.

Vincent you really need to read what I'm saying.....

All of these channels (XBMC and PLEX) are nothing more than Metadata menu creators that take information from a publicly available internet website (either via RSS, XML or Direct DB read), And create a list of links to go to and view the content.

You can get everything you think you are getting now without the need to run XBMC (or Plex for that matter) by simply going to the website for that content DIRECTLY..and then you have the option of casting a tab if you have to or in some cases those sites will have Chromecast support already in their Player (see ESPN who uses JW Player that now has CCast support natively).

You will get just as good a quality as you think you are getting from XBMC (or Plex) with screen casting and in cases where CCast is supported, even BETTER quality as no transcoding is needed at all!

I would LOVE IT if XBMC supported CCast....I just wish everyone who wants it to work with CCast would get on XBMC Dev's case and get them to implement it.

I sympathize with the Cord Cutters need to get channels in an easy to use interface on a CCast...
But we would all be better off if we would all focus more on getting the channels you want working on a product that DOES support the CCast...
Or getting XBMC to get with the program and support the desires of it's user base!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated - This is a how to on Casting Xbmc from Computer to TV for Free using the Chrome Browser. No more player core factory file needed and seems to play all formats including Live Streams.

http://youtu.be/4tm7-micx1s Instructional Video

Step 1. Go into Chrome Browser and add the Google Cast Extension at
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

Step 2. Download and install XBMC Windows version 13.1 Gotham at
    http://xbmc.org/download/

Step 3. Demonstration

Start Chromecast

Open Chrome Browser.....Hit Google Cast Button....Cast this Tab to Beta-Click down arrow on far right.....Cast Entire Screen-Experimental.....Click your Chromecast......Click Yes to Screen Sharing Request.

Start XBMC

Start your show and Chromecast automatically finds the Chrome Browser and plays the video on your Big TV.

Good Luck!
    This should play anything that plays on-computer. However it should be noted that it adds to CPU load on the computer as content is being recompressed on-the-fly and sent to Chromecast. Also, the quality of the image sent to Chromecast will be affected by your desktop resolution. Tab/Desktop casting gets iffy above 720p.