[Q] Is there a "best" Android version for the SGS?

Search This thread

-MaoR-

Jan 30, 2012
Nazareth
Hey guys,

I was just wondring..
Kitkat and JB were not intended to be for the SGS.. But how do they "cope" with it?

Do KK and JB just provide the fun of the latest Android versions while decreasing performance? Or are all Android versions pretty much the same as they are moded to fit SGS?

In very simple words: Are lower Android versions (As back as the official 2.3.6 if I am correct) better for SGS?

Thank you.

-MaoR-

Jan 30, 2012
Nazareth
more or less the same performance.
it's not that the phone is slow - just those apps and games are getting heavier

Are you sure? Because there is that partitioning thing that is different from version to version.. I dont know if there are any more major differences but I guess that the partitioning is one of them.
How do they even make versions like KK for SGS? I mean.. If it works on SGS, why wouldn't Samsung/Google release it for SGS?

Last edited:

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
1.Android is open source.That's how SGS got ics,jb,kk.
2.Shamesung doesn't care about happy users after their official support ends.They are pushing you to buy a new phone to enjoy latest&greatest.It's a pure business.

-MaoR-

Jan 30, 2012
Nazareth
1.Android is open source.That's how SGS got ics,jb,kk.
2.Shamesung doesn't care about happy users after their official support ends.They are pushing you to buy a new phone to enjoy latest&greatest.It's a pure business.

PC's are open source too.. Not all of them can get the latest updates and versions of Windows..

And again: "Are you sure? Because there is that partitioning thing that is different from version to version.. I dont know if there are any more major differences but I guess that the partitioning is one of them."

I dont think there is a logical reason from Samsung not to release the latest versions of Android to their "Homemade" developed devices..
It will just make their customers more trusty. That Samsung will always make updates to their devices, even the old ones. Unlike other companies.
SGS is kinda ****ty on it's own.. No Android version will transform it to SGS2 or 3 or 4 or 10...

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
I don't get you man.
This "partitions thing" is not a feature or so,it's simply the locations in your nand memory dedicated for certain rom parts,like /data or /system etc partitions that you have to wipe before flashing a rom for example.
As for roms it's simple - live with shamesung's outdated,althouh stable,gb or froyo or enjoy these awesome ics,jb and kk roms our great devs gave to us.
SGS can handle them all.

-MaoR-

Jan 30, 2012
Nazareth
I don't get you man.
This "partitions thing" is not a feature or so,it's simply the locations in your nand memory dedicated for certain rom parts,like /data or /system etc partitions that you have to wipe before flashing a rom for example.
As for roms it's simple - live with shamesung's outdated,althouh stable,gb or froyo or enjoy these awesome ics,jb and kk roms our great devs gave to us.
SGS can handle them all.

The partitioning thing effects the speed of the ROM/file access, atleast that's what I understood.. I dont know..

And what's so awesome about ICS,JB or KK? They seem the same.. So here and there they change the camera interface or something like that.. So? What's so special in any of these versions?

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
The partitioning thing effects the speed of the ROM/file access, atleast that's what I understood.. I dont know..

And what's so awesome about ICS,JB or KK? They seem the same.. So here and there they change the camera interface or something like that.. So? What's so special in any of these versions?

Customization,new features,frequently updated,more support from apps and games devs(android versions older than 4.0 is at the end of their lifetime) and so on...
Most of the changes in recent versions are under the hood,the only visually huge leap was from gb to ics imho.
Also,as google claims,kitkat is optimized for low memory devices,so it should fly on your sgs.
Have a look at this:
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2557608

Last edited:

-MaoR-

Jan 30, 2012
Nazareth
Customization,new features,frequently updated,more support from apps and games devs(android versions older than 4.0 is at the end of their lifetime) and so on...
Most of the changes in recent versions are under the hood,the only visually huge leap was from gb to ics imho.
Also,as google claims,kitkat is optimized for low memory devices,so it should fly on your sgs.

Ok, thanks.

May I ask why dont you use KK?

And I understood already that you dont like "best rom" questions.. But is there a very light, clean and stable ROM with KK?
I found this the cleanest: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542131

TheImpossibleEnemy

Feb 5, 2014
Local Bubble
Ok, thanks.

May I ask why dont you use KK?

And I understood already that you dont like "best rom" questions.. But is there a very light, clean and stable ROM with KK?
I found this the cleanest: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542131

Looks like a great rom to me.Try.
I'm using kk,but on i9001,cm11 by devcon team to be exact.
On the S2 side,I'm waiting until this "music bug" we have there in kk will be solved.Btw,I'm in love with my current setup:D

laxar

Jun 13, 2013
best rom ?

Hi,
From what I've tested:
- best GB rom is SAUROM: it looks old but it's fast and you have FM radio & great battery life!
- JB : I've tested µXylon, which was a good rom, but sadly was discontinued. Crom was really good too !
- KK : my fisrt rom on KK was CyanAOSP but it was damn laggy, I don't know why. So I switched to SlimKat (actually using stable 3.0, 4.0 coming soon :laugh:) and now I'm happy with it (but it's still slower than JB !)

I haven't tested any ICS rom but it seems that custom ICS roms are faster & lighter than JB and KK.

Sorry for my english :laugh: