[Q] fake a sdcard device with a loopback device

Search This thread

lewurm

Dec 15, 2011
wien.tomnetworks.com
Yesterday I decided to fix the internal front speakers of my "HTC Desire Z" (aka. G2). While I was able to fix them, I broke the connector for the microSD slot (tjworld.net/attachment/blog/htc-desire-z-tear-down/IMG_0244-small.jpg, the left one). After trying to fix it for several hours, I gave up. It isn't in the scope of my hardwareskills :-(

Well, since I have like 600mb left on /data and my device is rooted, I tried to find a software solution i.e. "emulate" a SDcard device (because many applications require one to work properly, e.g. the camera app). I found here android-x86.org/documents/sdcardhowto a description how to create a vfat image and mount it as loopback.

While this is exactly what I want, I don't get it to work:
  1. I don't know how to modifiy /proc/cmdline, or
  2. how the entry in /etc/vold.fstab should look like.
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /data/sdcard.img didn't work for me. according to logcat, I have this version: I/Vold ( 2368): Vold 2.1 (the revenge) firing up

btw, just mounting the loopback device to /mnt/sdcard didn't work too. For example, the camera app still claims there isn't a SD card inserted.

I also posted this question to stackoverflow: stackoverflow.com/questions/8476282/fake-a-sdcard-device-with-a-loopback-device-on-android

PS: unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post URLs :-(