Is Skinomi worth it for the Prime?

Search This thread

Scumbag Inc.

May 21, 2010
Austin, TX
Like the title says. How well does it work with a stylus? How does it feel vs just the glass? I have my prime in the MiniSuit case, is it worth putting on the screen?

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
I have a Skinomi skin cover and I honestly think the best part may be how much better the Prime looks. It gives it this glossy "wet" look that you see on new cars that have just been freshly waxed and polished. That aside, I would still recommend it if you're looking to use the Prime outside of a cover. I've found that the metallic spun back can scratch rather easily so the screen cover helps protect against that, and it has a nice, semi-grippy feel when you hold it.

trogdan

May 4, 2008
Techskin (Wet application) is great for the back. Again, a must if you use the tablet outside of a "proper" case, to prevent the metal from getting scratched.

The front.....definitely reduces clarity some. You may get some micro-bubbles or other artifacts while installing, but the warranty will allow you to get a replacement if you screw it up (I did the first time, ended up with a couple blotches of micro-bubbles).

The protector definitely provides some more resistance while sliding the finger, not quite as smooth as without.

I plan to use it for a while, but maybe 6-12 months down the road i'll remove it when it gets a little worn and go "au natural". A back cover and a neoprene sleeve for transport is all i need.

http://www.amazon.com/Neo-Cushion-Protective-Transformer-Android-Tablets/dp/B006C64C6E

Really nice sleeve, it could use a bit of velcro to keep the fold from crinkling up. Nice front pocket for carrying the charger, or wires.

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
I ordered and installed the Skinomi Techskin. It went on perfectly, no bubbles, lined up precisely...

Only problem was, there were smudge marks and blemishes all over the screen! I waited a week, hoping they'd go away, but they didn't.

I eventually contacted Skinomi, who were very accommodating, and sent out another Techskin right away.

2nd skin didn't go on as easily. I have several bubbles, but what's more irritating is there's a crease/bubble along the edge of the screen, that won't go away! I even saw it while applying the screen shield, lifted that corner back up, re-sprayed the included liquid, and squeegeed it smooth, but it is still there, and very noticeable.

What I like about the Skinomi is the precise cut-out for the dock. However, if it makes my screen look filthy, it isn't working for my needs (I mainly purchased a screen protector because all of the fingerprints that show up on the Prime's screen drive me nuts (yeah, yeah.. I know)

Anyways, I've now ordered the ACaseView screen protector.

Comes in a package of three, but what attracted me to it is that the manufacturer and customers all say how thin it is. Several reviews say that they have no problems using their dock with this screen protector on, that it's thin enough not to interfere.

It's also a dry apply screen protector, not that I care that much about how it's applied, I just don't want to see bubbles or smudges on my nearly brand new Transformer Prime!

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to report back, after installing the ACaseView shield. :eek:

mozman

May 16, 2010
New Jersey
I got the skinomi as well for the prime and dock. I love it. I have used body guardz for two phones and ghost armor for my wifes iPad. Of them all I have found the Skinomi to be the most glass like out of the box. They will be the one I buy going forward for all my future gear.

I prefer the wet apply versus dry. It allows you to place the skin down and easily adjust got proper placement. With the dry apply you have to keep purling back up to adjust, leaving you open for dust and stretching. The bubbles do go away. Sometimes it may take a week, or longer. Hope that helps.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
Im about to get the Full Skinomi thingy, for the whole Tablet and the keyboard.

After a few months my HP DV6 ended up like this (Alu palm rests) due to my palms sweat :/

attachment.php

I really dont want my Primes Keyboard looking like that, and even less the back of the tablet!

And yes, that was made by sweat, I wear no watch, or anything on my wrists.

Anyone happen to know if the Skinomi for the screen can cover up light Scratches that are already on the screen?

Attachments

• IMG_20120422_143402.jpg
    IMG_20120422_143402.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,211

collinsac24

Feb 14, 2012
Im about to get the Full Skinomi thingy, for the whole Tablet and the keyboard.

After a few months my HP DV6 ended up like this (Alu palm rests) due to my palms sweat :/

attachment.php

I really dont want my Primes Keyboard looking like that, and even less the back of the tablet!

And yes, that was made by sweat, I wear no watch, or anything on my wrists.

Anyone happen to know if the Skinomi for the screen can cover up light Scratches that are already on the screen?

great choice on the dock and tablet combo, I've had it for a few weeks and its been great (dark wood version)
im not sure about the covering scratches though since one of the main things the companies want to accomplish are having the protectors as invisible as possible as to not hinder the use of your screen so I'm assuming they would still show. I have a protector on my screen but i have no scratches since i wouldn't even take my dock or tab out of the box before my skins arrived lol I'm sort of a freak when it comes to scratching my "toys".

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
great choice on the dock and tablet combo, I've had it for a few weeks and its been great (dark wood version)
im not sure about the covering scratches though since one of the main things the companies want to accomplish are having the protectors as invisible as possible as to not hinder the use of your screen so I'm assuming they would still show. I have a protector on my screen but i have no scratches since i wouldn't even take my dock or tab out of the box before my skins arrived lol I'm sort of a freak when it comes to scratching my "toys".

I just ordered it, I hope it makes them at least harder to see hehe.

Weird thing is, my Prime never goes out without the Leather Folio case or if I need the Dock in a Neopren pouch, I just have no freaking idea how the screen got scratched! I guess the Glass used in the Prime is not so hard after all (at least compared to my other devices... 100% naked, no scratchs, more than a year of use and abuse)

Will report back how it feels after I get it... I guess a couple weeks from now :p

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
Like the title says. How well does it work with a stylus? How does it feel vs just the glass? I have my prime in the MiniSuit case, is it worth putting on the screen?

Not it is not worth putting on the screen, IMO. It can negatively impact how how well a stylus works with the Prime depending on the type of stylus since it is a little bit rubbery (but not as bad as Zagg skins).

The Skinomi skins for the back of the Prime and the keyboard dock are awesome though. They can definitely help your device from accumulating scratches and make it a lot easier to remove fingerprints from the back of the Prime.

originalnabisco

Jan 7, 2012
Honolulu

I use a Skinomi screen protector (wet-apply). Before applying I had accidentally made light scratches to the TF201 screen. It was quite visible given certain lighting. After applying the Skinomi, (and its been about 2 months) I honestly cannot see even the slightest bit of the scratches as if they disappeared. I assume the same thing happens with any screen protector though.

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
I use a Skinomi screen protector (wet-apply). Before applying I had accidentally made light scratches to the TF201 screen. It was quite visible given certain lighting. After applying the Skinomi, (and its been about 2 months) I honestly cannot see even the slightest bit of the scratches as if they disappeared. I assume the same thing happens with any screen protector though.

Awesome, that's what I was expecting. There a couple of scratches that can only be seen under the right angle with the right lighting.

Can't wait for the full Skinomi to arrive @.@

regalpimpin

Jun 21, 2010
I think bestskinsever has a better cutout for the back. And they even carry the dock, and compatible skins now.

I'm using a skinomi compatible screen protector, as that was the only one available at the time, coupled with the back from a bestskinsever.

The bestskinsever skin actually covers the full back, doesnt have a cutout for the Asus logo, and none of the little side pieces, as they are actually a part of the back.

If you look at the renderings on both sites you will see what i mean.

The Grey Elf

Mar 7, 2012
Skinomi arrived today...but they sent me the wrong one. Got brushed aluminum instead of dark wood grain :(.

On the up side, when I e-mailed them they got back to me within minutes to apologize and say they were sending out the correct one.

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
I think bestskinsever has a better cutout for the back. And they even carry the dock, and compatible skins now.

I'm using a skinomi compatible screen protector, as that was the only one available at the time, coupled with the back from a bestskinsever.

The bestskinsever skin actually covers the full back, doesnt have a cutout for the Asus logo, and none of the little side pieces, as they are actually a part of the back.

If you look at the renderings on both sites you will see what i mean.

Skinomi also offers skins that work with the TF Prime keyboard dock.

regalpimpin

Jun 21, 2010
Skinomi also offers skins that work with the TF Prime keyboard dock.

Yes, they both offer compatible skins, but the BestSkinsEver version has a better back and no side pieces.

When you get the full skin from skinomi you have the screen, the back, and what.. 4 or 5 side pieces.

The BSE has front and back,and the back covers what all those little side pieces cover, plus the asus logo isn't cut out.

I like to use the full back, and a compatible screen protector. Fits in the dock without leaving marks or tearing them up and the full back is protected.

collinsac24

Feb 14, 2012
Skinomi arrived today...but they sent me the wrong one. Got brushed aluminum instead of dark wood grain :(.

On the up side, when I e-mailed them they got back to me within minutes to apologize and say they were sending out the correct one.

yea from what ive read and heard they have great customer service, but i haven't had to deal with them yet :)

collinsac24

Feb 14, 2012
Yes, they both offer compatible skins, but the BestSkinsEver version has a better back and no side pieces.

When you get the full skin from skinomi you have the screen, the back, and what.. 4 or 5 side pieces.

The BSE has front and back,and the back covers what all those little side pieces cover, plus the asus logo isn't cut out.

I like to use the full back, and a compatible screen protector. Fits in the dock without leaving marks or tearing them up and the full back is protected.

"better" in your opinion, its just a preference. there isn't any real difference that makes one better than the other.

theandies

I love my Skinomi Carbon Fiber back cover. It was easy to apply. There are others that don't have the small strips that go around the sides of the tablet but if you take your time and use light heat you can get these pieces on nicely and they look great.

I've yet to put the screen protector that came with my kit on because I'm never satisfied with the results that I've had on other devices. I'm just running it naked.