Is HTC EVER going to release the 2.2 kernel source?

Search This thread

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
I'm really getting sick and tired of waiting for HTC to release the kernel source, it's simply not on that they can release the EVO's kernel about 2 days after it's released and the Desire is still as of yet without any source code released. Stock kernels = :mad:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/desiresrc/

Last edited:

ieftm

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2008
I vote for starting a petition.

HTC is obliged to release the kernel sourcecode in a timely fashion when formally request under the GNU public license.

I've e-mailed them a few times about it, they gave me the run-around by saying 'oh, we can help you with that. Check developer.htc.com!'

D'oh. I hate them playing dumb.

teppic74

Aug 5, 2010
London
HTC is in serious violation of copyright law at the moment by distributing the software but refusing to release source code to the kernel. An indefinite 'they'll get around to it' doesn't make it legal.

mercianary

May 30, 2010
Brum
Screw a petition.

Someone needs to take them to court. Or at least send a letter with loads of legal mumo jumbo reminding them of their obligations...

Any lawyers here with a bit of spare time...if there are I'm sure we will all give in a good word when we get to heaven for you (sorry) if you can help us.

teppic74

Aug 5, 2010
London
The GPL v2 basically says that if you distribute a binary (i.e. the kernel) you must distribute with it the source code, or provide a written offer to produce the source code on request for at least three years. If you don't meet those requirements you have no right whatsoever to distribute the code, and it's blatant copyright infringement (Linux may be free of charge, but it's copyrighted code).

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Also right here

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

The more bad press and and the more GPL type calls they get from other organizations will force them to comply with the GPL or be sued so i say we all get on it. The more users who report the more HTC gets the pressure put on. This is getting rediculous. The Incredible and the Evo had the source out with in hours of the RUU release.

wingnutta

Jul 9, 2010
Leigh
Maybe if someone could write a simple piece of text on here that we could "copy and paste" maybe that would help for the links to GPL violations?.
I am all up for putting a complaint in but i wouldnt have a clue how to word it correctly to get the desired (Excuse the pun) outcome.

Just a thought

teppic74

Aug 5, 2010
London
HTC's well aware of its legal obligation and frequently breaks the law anyway. Its EULA states:

Until the date that is three years after you acquired the Software, you
may obtain a copy of the source code corresponding to the binaries for
GPL-licensed file by sending a request to HTC customer service at www.
htc.com, and HTC will send you a link to such source code.

That's not actually satisfactory under the GPL (though most people would be happy with it in practice), but they don't actually do that. Requests are ignored or given a 'go to this site' response, where there's no code.

M

Mr_Bartek

They don't want to release source code because they don't want us to mess with the frequencies (most likely). That doesn't matter though, no matter how big you are, you still have to obey the licenses.

D

diversificationied

GPL says they have 60 days after public release of software.

So... wait until days 55-60 before pulling the torches.

They did the same thing for the nexus source.