[Q] CM9 & Email subfolder notification

Search This thread

drdobsg

Dec 19, 2011
I've managed to build a version of the email app that shows notifications when an email arrives in a subfolder. But when clicking on the notification it just opens the inbox of the account. I have to adjust this part too. I hope I will find some time. :)

I think that is how the stock email app on the Verizon SIII works too. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
I've found some time to look at the email app and managed it so far to create a version which shows a separate notification for each folder. But there are still some issues that I have to test and analyze. (e.g. notification is instantly recreated when opening the message over the notification) I will share the apk here if I can solve this problem.

88fingerslukee

Apr 18, 2008
Vancouver
I've found some time to look at the email app and managed it so far to create a version which shows a separate notification for each folder. But there are still some issues that I have to test and analyze. (e.g. notification is instantly recreated when opening the message over the notification) I will share the apk here if I can solve this problem.

Are you modifying the JB app or the ICS app? I'd be happy to test it on an i927 (Captivate Glide). Any chance it'd work?

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
I am using the Jellybean source to compile the app. In the app manifest is the minSdkVersion="14" so I think it should work in ics too. In the meantime I could resolve the last problems and now I am testing the app. Seams to work pretty well. I will release the app and my sourcecode here if I don't find more problems.

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto
I installed this yesterday, and it worked fine when I tested it. I rebooted and didn't receive notifications for messages received over night.

edit: Looks like it reverted to the original mail.apk when I rebooted. I'll have to replace the original.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeraldoBabalu

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
I just found a bug in my modified application. When multiple notifications are shown and I click on the first notification the other notifications also disappear. I think I've already found the source of the problem and I'am testing a new version now. I also found something that I forgot to adjust. In the original version no notifications arrived when the email app is open and the inbox is shown. I will also ajdust this in the next version so that no notifications arrive for the mailbox that is currently open in the email app.

maluus

Dec 26, 2010
Ankara
Well I m eagerly watching your work mate. I myself suffered this for a long time and this is the reason why I stick with sense instead of CM10.1 on my HOS. I posted this issue for google and CM team. If I had the skills I would try to do the same as you do and solve my problem but I lack the skills. So I can willingly test your modified app.

icstm

Jan 12, 2013
This is fanastic work Thenetstriker
A couple of questions:

1) I assume this will work most phones and on stock ROM, rather than CM?
2) Any reason you chose the stock email app and not one of the imrpoved but free ones, eg K9?

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
This is fanastic work Thenetstriker
A couple of questions:

1) I assume this will work most phones and on stock ROM, rather than CM?
2) Any reason you chose the stock email app and not one of the imrpoved but free ones, eg K9?

1) This app shoud work on stock roms too, but I tested it only on CM10. If you just install the app over a file manager you can test it without modifying your system too much. It will be automaticly replaced whith the stock email app if you restart your phone. Too install it permanently you have to replace the file in /system/app
2) I like the stock email app because it is easy to use and has a slick interface. It had everything I need except the subfolder notification. :)

Reactions: phubarr and mrd7rs

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
Here is my new release. I fixed the problem when multiple notifications are shown. Also I've corrected the behaviour that when a mailbox is currently open, notifications are suspended for this mailbox. I also disabled the notifications for all special folders, except the inbox. (e.g. deleted items, drafts etc. doesn't need notifications in my opinion)

Please report any problems in this thread.

Attachments

• Email.apk
    3.2 MB · Views: 524
  • Email.patch
    33.8 KB · Views: 266

djspot13

Feb 1, 2013
some help with install

Hey,

Tried to install your email apk but when I attempted to install I got the following error "application not installed: an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed"

I was hoping for some help.

If you don't mind providing a quick run down on how to implement your install and patch I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dazzla

Nov 2, 2009
Hey,

Tried to install your email apk but when I attempted to install I got the following error "application not installed: an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed"

If you don't mind providing a quick run down on how to implement your install and patch I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you so much.

Do you intend on keeping the releases coming as Google update the Mail app?

Would this work on any rooted phone? E.g. a Sony Xperia T? Or does it require 4.2 or stock?

Last edited:

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
Hey,

Thanks.

Maybe this problem occurs because I've compiled the app using the CyanogenMod Sources. Maybe they are using a different signing certificate for the apps as google. I will try to compile the app using the google sources.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you so much.

Do you intend on keeping the releases coming as Google update the Mail app?

Would this work on any rooted phone? E.g. a Sony Xperia T? Or does it require 4.2 or stock?

My idea is to submit the patch directly to Google. Maybe they will integrate this into the next release. I found a description on how to submit patches to google. (http://source.android.com/source/submit-patches.html) When the feedback from this thread is good I will try to submit my patch go google.

I also have an Xperia T, but it should work on any rooted phone. Maybe there are problems when other certificates are used as described in the post above. In this case try to install the app using the "Root Explorer" app. First copy the app apk to /data and change the owner to root/root and adjust the rights to rw-r--r--. Then move the apk to /system/app and replace the existing file and reboot the phone. On my phone I was able to replace the app permanently using this method.

icstm

Jan 12, 2013
What you say below sounds like an excellent idea and the fact you have a couple of phones helps iron out compatability problems.
Maybe this problem occurs because I've compiled the app using the CyanogenMod Sources. Maybe they are using a different signing certificate for the apps as google. I will try to compile the app using the google sources.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

My idea is to submit the patch directly to Google. Maybe they will integrate this into the next release. I found a description on how to submit patches to google. (http://source.android.com/source/submit-patches.html) When the feedback from this thread is good I will try to submit my patch go google.

I also have an Xperia T, but it should work on any rooted phone. Maybe there are problems when other certificates are used as described in the post above. In this case try to install the app using the "Root Explorer" app. First copy the app apk to /data and change the owner to root/root and adjust the rights to rw-r--r--. Then move the apk to /system/app and replace the existing file and reboot the phone. On my phone I was able to replace the app permanently using this method.

nicolaibvm

Oct 4, 2010
Any luck on this?

Maybe this problem occurs because I've compiled the app using the CyanogenMod Sources. Maybe they are using a different signing certificate for the apps as google. I will try to compile the app using the google sources..

Any luck on this? I have the exact same problem. I am not rooted though. Do I have to?

Thanks for fixing what Google find to be too hard!

/Nicolai

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
Any luck on this? I have the exact same problem. I am not rooted though. Do I have to?

Thanks for fixing what Google find to be too hard!

/Nicolai

Yes I believe root is required to replace a system app. The only permanent way I found to replace a system app has to be done using Root Explorer. On rooted phones this part of the filesystem is always readonly.

maluus

Dec 26, 2010
Ankara
Well I installed your latest apk and set up my exchange account but still can't get notifications for subfolders. it syncs without problems but still doesn't notify. I tried this on stock htc one s rom. Since I need exchange, I used exchange2.apk from CM10. I don't know which protocols you tested but perhaps exchange module may require some editing also for exchange to work.

and another problem is it's uninstallable. had to manually delete files :D

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
Well I installed your latest apk and set up my exchange account but still can't get notifications for subfolders. it syncs without problems but still doesn't notify. I tried this on stock htc one s rom. Since I need exchange, I used exchange2.apk from CM10. I don't know which protocols you tested but perhaps exchange module may require some editing also for exchange to work.

and another problem is it's uninstallable. had to manually delete files :D

Did you enable the automatic push synchronisation on your subfolders? Without this setting the messages are synchronized only when the subfolder is opened in the email app.

Reactions: phubarr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok here is my first release of my modified email app an the patch file for the jelly bean sourcecode. If you find any problems, please report them here, then I will try to fix them.
    Here is my new release. I fixed the problem when multiple notifications are shown. Also I've corrected the behaviour that when a mailbox is currently open, notifications are suspended for this mailbox. I also disabled the notifications for all special folders, except the inbox. (e.g. deleted items, drafts etc. doesn't need notifications in my opinion)

Please report any problems in this thread.
    I've now also compiled the modified email app for CyanogenMod 10.1. (Email2.apk) Works perfectly on my Sony Xperia T.
    I am using the Jellybean source to compile the app. In the app manifest is the minSdkVersion="14" so I think it should work in ics too. In the meantime I could resolve the last problems and now I am testing the app. Seams to work pretty well. I will release the app and my sourcecode here if I don't find more problems.