[Patch]Malware Exploit for all pre-Gingerbread phones

Search This thread

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
Rodderik - very useful, thanks much. This will be in SyndicateROM Frozen 1.0.1.

EDIT: Between this and CIQ removal, we devs have malware removal/prevention covered. ;)

I've been running AVG AntiVirus since I was on Syndicate 2.1, and recently upgraded to Syndicate 2.2. I download mp3's using an app called MP3 Downloader, sometimes download random pics for my live wallpaper slideshow app. Am I just waisting space by using AVG since you've done such cool things within your ROM?

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
wouldn't droidwall do a good enough job for protection? assuming i didn't give any dodgy app internet access?
then wouldn't it just stop any traffic thus preventing any malware downloading new code?

(•.•)

May 26, 2011
Galaxy>Earth
security? hahaha... not

revive. just saw the androidpolice article linking to this.. btw, many people have a firmware under gingerbread and are still affected by this!

"CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C"

i bet 743C is a alias for a government payed hacker..

but whatever, look how easy it is to get your data, i think with a high percentage, even with gingerbread there are still spyfeatures like this backdoor.

the biggest backdoor by the way is google itself with the market and all other google apps.

Just check the structure of the apps and read there agreements.. and read some news/articles how they all want your data.

I even believe, they make fotos with the front camera while you doing something, like creating a new google account.. high probality.

believe it, you would wonder alot if you would knew what they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: got_chown

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
i've also implemented this in my kernel and i know a few other developers have :)

in my custom init script:
Code:
# Patch to attempt removal and prevention of DroidDream malware
if [ -f "/system/bin/profile" ]; then
	rm /system/bin/profile
fi
touch /system/bin/profile
chmod 644 /system/bin/profile

rom devs could put that in init.d as well if they wanted to :)

Reactions: got_chown

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
i've also implemented this in my kernel and i know a few other developers have :)

in my custom init script:
Code:
# Patch to attempt removal and prevention of DroidDream malware
if [ -f "/system/bin/profile" ]; then
	rm /system/bin/profile
fi
touch /system/bin/profile
chmod 644 /system/bin/profile

rom devs could put that in init.d as well if they wanted to :)

It's in my kernel that's for sure. Will be in 1.3 as well.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Patch][Rom]Malware Exploit for all pre-Gingerbread phones
    Who is affected? All phones pre-gingerbread
    Who should act? Users and developers using pre-gingerbread roms
    How do I fix? Flash attached .zip at the bottom of this post or use one of the alternate methods down there
    What if I think I was infected? Completely wipe your device, format sdard, go back to stock and re-apply rom, then flash the attached .zip (before installing any apps)
    Why should I care? read below...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...your-phone-steal-your-data-and-open-backdoor/

Link to publishers apps here. I just randomly stumbled into one of the apps, recognized it and noticed that the publisher wasn’t who it was supposed to be.

Super Guitar Solo for example is originally Guitar Solo Lite. I downloaded two of the apps and extracted the APK’s, they both contain what seems to be the "rageagainstthecage" root exploit – binary contains string "CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C". Don’t know what the apps actually do, but can’t be good.

I appreciate being able to publish an update to an app and the update going live instantly, but this is a bit scary. Some sort of moderation, or at least quicker reaction to malware complaints would be nice.

EDIT: After some dexing and jaxing, the apps seem to be at least posting the IMEI and IMSI codes to http://184.105.245.17:8080/GMServer/GMServlet, which seems to be located in Fremont, CA.

I asked our resident hacker to take a look at the code himself, and he’s verified it does indeed root the user’s device via rageagainstthecage or exploid. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg: it does more than just yank IMEI and IMSI. There’s another APK hidden inside the code, and it steals nearly everything it can: product ID, model, partner (provider?), language, country, and userID. But that’s all child’s play; the true pièce de résistance is that it has the ability to download more code. In other words, there’s no way to know what the app does after it’s installed, and the possibilities are nearly endless.

The offending apps from publisher Myournet:

* Falling Down
    * Super Guitar Solo
    * Super History Eraser
    * Photo Editor
    * Super Ringtone Maker
    * Super Sex Positions
    * Hot Sexy Videos
    * Chess
    * 下坠滚球_Falldown
    * Hilton Sex Sound
    * Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    * Falling Ball Dodge
    * Scientific Calculator
    * Dice Roller
    * 躲避弹球
    * Advanced Currency Converter
    * App Uninstaller
    * 几何战机_PewPew
    * Funny Paint
    * Spider Man
    * 蜘蛛侠

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...-android-nightmare-and-weve-got-more-details/

Now, on to some more details of the virus. We should point out that this vulnerability was patched with Gingerbread, meaning any device running Android 2.3+ should be fine. In other words, if you’re looking to play the blame game (which I’m not, but having read all the comments on the original post, many people are), then there’s plenty to go around. The hole was fixed by Google, but it’s relatively useless since many phones aren’t yet running a version of Android that is protected. It’s noteworthy that some manufacturers released updates that patched the exploit for devices without updating to Gingerbread; unfortunately, it appears that minority is quite a small one.

Perhaps most important is the question of what infected users can do about their situation; unfortunately, the answer is not much of anything. Because the virus opens up a backdoor and can bring in new code at any time, the only way to really rid an infected device of any damage is to completely wipe the device – not exactly the optimal solution, but it looks like the only one available, at least for now.

Finally, Justin notes that ROM developers working with pre-Gingerbread versions of Android can prevent the virus from backdooring in code by putting a dummy file at /system/bin/profile.

As you can see androidpolice.com reports on this backdoor and roots and steals personal information. The apps are removed from the market but that doesn't mean they got them all. Attached is a flashable fix as suggested by androidpolice.com

So users can flash this .zip or simply create a blank file called profile and place it in /system/bin/ (developers are encouraged to include this file in future releases. A blank file is not going to affect performance at all)

Alternate methods:

Using 'adb shell' or terminal emulator (should work on any ROOTED phone) as suggest by xaueious here
    Code:
    $ su
    su
    # remount rw
    Remounting /system (/dev/stl9) in read/write mode
    # touch /system/bin/profile
    # chmod 644 /system/bin/profile
    #

Alternate 2:
    Download blank profile file from here (or create one and name it profile)
    Use a program like Root Explorer to copy it to /system/bin/
    Then longpress on it and check the permissions should be read/write for user, read for group, and read for others.

Alternate 3:
    cyansmoker has put together an apk for the patch here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.voilaweb.mobile.droiddreamkiller

Thanks for pointing this out photoframd and androidpolice.com for investigating and reporting!

UPDATE: I renamed the .zip file and reuploaded it (350 hits wow). Also in the edify scripted version I added 644 permissions to the file (but if you already flashed it then it should have defaulted to that). I also added a pre-edify version of the patch thanks to xaueious for people using a recovery that does not yet understand edify.
    This .zip is flashable for the Epic running ClockworkMod Recovery. I will include directions in the OP for other methods of getting the file there. If some one wants to put together an apk or a signed update.zip feel free to let me know and I'll make sure it gets posted.

Also I have requested some more technical information on the malware and I will update with the new information when I get it.

Well, these is now an .apk. Look for "DroidDreamKiller" on the market (I know it's a stupid name) or on the web: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.voilaweb.mobile.droiddreamkiller

It's a really simple app that I quickly put together by ripping pieces of another of my apps.
    Rodderik - very useful, thanks much. This will be in SyndicateROM Frozen 1.0.1.

EDIT: Between this and CIQ removal, we devs have malware removal/prevention covered. ;)
    Anyone think an android AV program like Lookout would have caught this if running when the infected app was installed?

I suspect it would.
    Would it be safe to assume that if you look in your system/bin directory and already have a file named profile than you have been infected?

It is quite possible. Check and see if you installed any of the programs lately from the OP. If so then it is quite possible. It is also quite possible a rom developer put that file in there so that is not a 100% way of making sure.

Instead of flashing, using Root Explorer could I just create a file named "profile" in the system/bin directory for a fix?

Yes indeed!

Anyone think an android AV program like Lookout would have caught this if running when the infected app was installed?

Here is more from the articles I posted
    Wow – from our perspective, it’s almost like the world exploded overnight. We have more information and details on the virus – which Lookout has named "DroidDream" (the word was consistently used in package names by the malware developers) – and some updates on where things stand.

So I'm assuming that means Lookout scans for or will soon scan for this malware.