Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

jmattp

Apr 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I got my Galaxy Nexus back today and it has the exact same issues. Nothing changed. Samsung sucks.

They sent me another UPS label to send it in again. Maybe this time they'll actually fix it or just swap it for a new one.

Never buying a Samsung product again. I don't mean to start a flamewar here, but if this were an Apple product, I would have it swapped for a new one the first time.

Nasdel

Feb 25, 2012
I got my Galaxy Nexus back today and it has the exact same issues. Nothing changed. Samsung sucks.

They sent me another UPS label to send it in again. Maybe this time they'll actually fix it or just swap it for a new one.

Never buying a Samsung product again. I don't mean to start a flamewar here, but if this were an Apple product, I would have it swapped for a new one the first time.

Same here, I've got terrible banding on my phone. I can even see it on blacks and you can see it on whites even in sunlight and at a distance. I'm going to call them tomorrow and demand a new phone. If they don't give me that I'll demand a replacement in the meantime.

I sent my phone on Jan 16, it reached them the 18th. 5 weeks,8 phone calls, and 2 emails later, it reaches back home, unfixed :mad: . I cannot spend another 5 weeks with my huawei u1250-which is only making phone calls on speaker phone :mad:

arzbhatia

Jun 7, 2011
www.arzbhatia.com
At low brightness levels (specifically at the lowest) I get a lot of blue tints here and there on the screen? Is that a problem? Like for examples, the notification bar (when dragged down) turns blue and also the buttons on the keyboard turn blue-ish!

I'll post a picture if you want.

Edit : It's actually purplish o_O

EDIT 2 : THE DARK GREYS TURN PURPLE :O

Last edited:

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
At low brightness levels (specifically at the lowest) I get a lot of blue tints here and there on the screen? Is that a problem? Like for examples, the notification bar (when dragged down) turns blue and also the buttons on the keyboard turn blue-ish!

I'll post a picture if you want.

Edit : It's actually purplish o_O

EDIT 2 : THE DARK GREYS TURN PURPLE :O

Sounds about right. I just keep my brightness at about 60%. Phone lasts all day+ and the screen looks great.

Reactions: mohammed510

jrodsep

Feb 15, 2012
Is the screen supposed to turn on when I receive a text message? I only get the sound and the light notification. But when I receive a call it turns on like normal...

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
Is the screen supposed to turn on when I receive a text message? I only get the sound and the light notification. But when I receive a call it turns on like normal...

Yea it's normal.

If you want it to turn on (and display a popup with a reply box) get GoSMS (free). It's got all kinds of features like that.

Reactions: jrodsep

Reverence12389

May 11, 2011
I had so many problems with replacement phones from Verizon. Two had a broken vibrate, then two with bad screens. I ended up sending my last phone directly to Samsung for repair of a broken vibrate and tinted screen and they just replaced the whole thing with a brand new phone. I FINALLY just got a perfect phone back yesterday and I am back in love with this phone.

I would suggest anyone having the same issues should look to this as a potential resolution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

aalin13

Jan 2, 2011
Onto my third Nexus now, and I've got a week to make up my mind whether to change it or not.

Both the first and second Nexus had screen issues, and now with the third one, when displaying white background like google.com, the top of the screen seems brighter, whereas the bottom half seems darker with a slight pink tinge. On the plus side, this screen is the brightest of the 3 Nexus that I've had.

Now, for people with perfect screen, just how perfect is it? I'm assuming uniform colour even at low brightness? What about the purple tinge for dark grey at low brightness? All 3 Nexus I've had show this issue, is that normal or has anyone got a perfect screen where the colour stays consistent throughout different brightness?

I'm just a bit jaded that in the two and a half months I've had this phone, it has been away for assessment for nearly half the time, and 3 Nexus later, it is still not perfect. I'm almost tempted to return this phone and ask for store credit instead of another Nexus, but then what other phone should I get? The only other 720HD phones coming out soon are One X, 4X HD and Xperia S. Two of them have non removable battery so I'm a bit worried about boot loops if I'm to flash CM on it. As for 4X HD, don't really trust LG.

KLUVJ

Sep 15, 2011
Richmond Hill
Guys, I dont see anyone talking much about the black spots on the screen. Ever since I saw it, the 100 or so black dots are really really annoying, and everytime i sleep, i lay there waiting for my eyes to adjust just to see that horrid screen again. Everything else seems fine except the yellow tint. No banding or anyting.

I sent mine to telus for a fix. AND THEY SENT IT BACK WITH A RESOLUTION OF :
SOFT WARE REFLASH

!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY???

now i've contacted samsung , and they've provided me with a ups ticket to ship it to them to either fix or replace. Hoping i get a replacement. NO SUCH THING AS FIXING THIS SCREEN ANYWAY>

I have the made in China batch, anyone else notice the diffrence depending on where the phone is made?

Reactions: arzbhatia

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
this kind of threads about the amoled screen (in every device subforum) should be all deleted!

if u (op and others) don't like your phone with amoled screen, sell it..NOW!!! :mad:

/bored to see this thread pin

arzbhatia

Jun 7, 2011
www.arzbhatia.com
this kind of threads about the amoled screen (in every device subforum) should be all deleted!

if u (op and others) don't like your phone with amoled screen, sell it..NOW!!! :mad:

/bored to see this thread pin

Sorry for irritating you but this is a forum. A person is free to discuss stuff. We are facing problems so why can we discuss about it? If you have so much problems regarding this why do you even open the thread? We all love the phone but paying about 650$ for something defective doesn't make sense does it mate?

Reactions: Simba501

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.
    I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.
    I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)