Google Apps without rooting

Search This thread

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
I had some apps working using only the OP instructions; that is I wasn't running the framework at all. When I loaded the framework (then rebooted) so I could run the rest, most previously working apps stopped working. I found that if I reinstalled (no need to uninstall) those apps via ES file explorer (it has supervisor permissions) they immediately started working. I did root last night, but have not messed with the system folder to load Play as there is no backup yet. Not sure root is needed though, nor if supervisor permissions is an issue. Every app works great now. Only weirdness is Maps shows my position about 500 yards off target, while mapQuest is spot on. No biggie, just strange.

Thanks to the OP and others for getting us this far.

thanks! Reinstalling the apps solved the problem! Drive is now working, along with the other Google apps....I am not rooted at all! This is awesome! Hopefully I don't run into any other issues and all play happily together.

Lastb0isct

Dec 3, 2010
How do you side load apps on the kindle fire? I'm not sure what program to use to browse for the apps and the. Install them...is there a file explorer app that I can get from the amazon app store? Es file explorer won't download.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
Wanted so say thanks for this post! I have an Iconia A500, but have been really intrigued by the new Fire HD's so I picked one up. I am rooted, and did that before running across this thread oddly enough. But this still worked like a charm! I only installed the YouTube app and Currents so far. Going to try out chrome if I can find an apk for it. Ultimately I want the Play Store primarily for the Adobe Touch apps if those get working at some point since I have purchased a couple of them. So far Youtube and Currents works great!

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
How do you side load apps on the kindle fire? I'm not sure what program to use to browse for the apps and the. Install them...is there a file explorer app that I can get from the amazon app store? Es file explorer won't download.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

I've used a couple of different places. At first I was using 1mobile.com but recently I've been using appbrain.com. Both have an app you can sideload into the kindle fire HD. I downloaded it from their website and then installed it.

Google Chrome works just fine...but I've ended up using the Dolphin HD Beta. It seems like it is a bit faster...Chrome did some pretty cool things though with multiple tabs opened.

Good luck. I like that I didn't have to root the thing in order to get Google Apps to work.

The only thing I'm not sure is if SYNCing Google apps is really working.

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
I've used a couple of different places. At first I was using 1mobile.com but recently I've been using appbrain.com. Both have an app you can sideload into the kindle fire HD. I downloaded it from their website and then installed it.

Google Chrome works just fine...but I've ended up using the Dolphin HD Beta. It seems like it is a bit faster...Chrome did some pretty cool things though with multiple tabs opened.

Good luck. I like that I didn't have to root the thing in order to get Google Apps to work.

The only thing I'm not sure is if SYNCing Google apps is really working.

I have my chrome fully functional. It syncs with my pc and laptop, and pretty much all my devices that run google. It's a little more complicated than just installing the app files because amazon locked out the stock google account page. You can find the system file apk here on another thread I made about google talk but I did a lot of digging around. You need this to properly sync your google account and to turn it on, you have to do it through the gmail settings app. Once it's triggered, you can adjust your sync settings. Since my device is rooted and have the play store installed, I am unsure if this will work for non-rooted devices.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
It would be nice if someone could verify whether sync works un rooted. When I go into my settings in GMail, it won't go into the sync settings. I have both the Google login apk and the framework.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea

Midknight5000

Jul 18, 2012
I'm sorry to have to ask this but how do i get the files onto my kindle? I have unzipped the file and when I try to drag the apks and drop them into a folder on my kindle, nothing happens, they won't copy over from my computer.

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
You need some kind of file explorer on your KFHD to get to the apk and run it. I use root explorer but you can use others like es explorer or astro.

I do it like this: dropbox > KF (and run apk) or if you need in system folder > export from dropbox > root explorer

Last edited:

vzwty

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for this. Between ADW launcher and these google apps this is turning into a nice little tablet.

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
My notes on sync can be read here along with the apk, but this was done on a rooted device. http:// http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

Thanks. That helped. I was able to get the sync apk. I was able to go into Gmail, go into the settings, and turn my Google Sync on. I also tried Google Play while I was at it. It looked like it worked....until I tried to download and install an app. It gave me the "Google Play has stopped working" error. After that I couldn't go back into the app. I uninstalled and reinstalled which allowed me back into the app, but after I tried to install something, it gave me the error again.

I'm unrooted, so I guess if I want the Google Play store, I'll have to root the thing. Was hoping I could get all the google stuff working without having to root. Oh well. Other than getting Google Play, I'm not sure why I would root at this point.

ckmurbano

Aug 25, 2010
I have got YouTube, Gmail, Currents and Google Maps working in the Kindle Fire HD without rooting. However Google Maps is not able to get the location from Wifi and is not able to sign in using the following process. I was unable to get GTalk (also attached) to work so far. The following process does not use GoogleServicesFramework as was used in the Gingerbread version of Kindle Fire.

I have modded the apps with high resolution 256x256 icons for display in Kindle Fire Carousel using the following guide.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1495854

I have used You Tube 3.5.5 modded for HD playback. Alternatively this works with any of the APKs found in the following topic or built for Ice Cream Sandwich.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529715

1. Enable installation of applications from unknown sources in Kindle Fire Settings.
2. Install GoogleLoginService.apk.
3. Reboot.
4. Install the Google Apps.
5. Start YouTube. Sign In. It will take you to Google Account Manager to create/use existing Google credentials.
6. Same goes for other apps. In case sign in fails for any of the apps (except Maps/GTalk) drag down the Kindle Fire notification bar, click on the notification for "Permission requested....." and assign required permissions.

The files can be downloaded from here
https://www.box.com/s/kf6n8qpdncscnhmsz3ox

UPDATE: Thanks to alkemist80, installing GoogleServicesFramework.apk, rebooting & installing Talk from the following post, Talk works perfectly fine on Kindle Fire HD, unless it goes into sleep mode.
(If existing apps stop responding at this point, remove and reinstall them)
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31814980&postcount=20

Thanks Friend... good job. !

siukin84

Sep 29, 2012
hi, I am a new user for Kindle Fire HD, and i tried to follow the same routine to mod the Dolphin Browsers app to get a clear carousel icon.
after i change 1 icon in the apk to 256x256, and install it again, sth strange happened.
The dolphin browser icon NEVER shows again in the Carousel.....
It never shows up again after use....

does anyone have clues that how can I make that icon appear on my carousel again?
i have tried to reinstall the original apk , newer version apk, rebooting many times, but still not appear after use.....

thanks in advance!

Midknight5000

Jul 18, 2012
THANK YOU

Thank you for posting the downloads in .apk file format. I can't seem to copy over the other google apps for the rar file from my computer to my kindle fire hd, this download was the first thing that worked. I was wondering if you could post the other apps in .apk format so I could download them to my kindle. Once again thank you for giving me these files.

siukin84

Sep 29, 2012
hi, I am a new user for Kindle Fire HD, and i tried to follow the same routine to mod the Dolphin Browsers app to get a clear carousel icon.
after i change 1 icon in the apk to 256x256, and install it again, sth strange happened.
The dolphin browser icon NEVER shows again in the Carousel.....
It never shows up again after use....

does anyone have clues that how can I make that icon appear on my carousel again?
i have tried to reinstall the original apk , newer version apk, rebooting many times, but still not appear after use.....

thanks in advance!

Somehow, my system crashed and reboot by itself once, the dolphin icon shows up again in the carousel.....
But still cannot get the high Res icon working.
Thanks.

siukin84

Sep 29, 2012
Somehow, my system crashed and reboot by itself once, the dolphin icon shows up again in the carousel.....
But still cannot get the high Res icon working.
Thanks.

Found a solution if you encounter the disappearing of the icon in the Carousel, you just need to restart the Launcher.
I tried to stop the launcher by the Tasks in AirDroid, after stopping the launcher services and quit AirDroid, the icon appear Sharp & Clear with the changed High Res Icon!!!!
Cheer!!!

Thanks a lot for this post! & also the Icon Changing Tutorial! :good::good::good::good:

mlayefsky

Oct 7, 2012
I'd love to experiment with another browser on the KFHD. Can anyone point me to a source for Chrome and/or Dolphin HD apks?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have got YouTube, Gmail, Currents and Google Maps working in the Kindle Fire HD without rooting. However Google Maps is not able to get the location from Wifi and is not able to sign in using the following process. I was unable to get GTalk (also attached) to work so far. The following process does not use GoogleServicesFramework as was used in the Gingerbread version of Kindle Fire.

I have modded the apps with high resolution 256x256 icons for display in Kindle Fire Carousel using the following guide.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1495854

I have used You Tube 3.5.5 modded for HD playback. Alternatively this works with any of the APKs found in the following topic or built for Ice Cream Sandwich.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529715

1. Enable installation of applications from unknown sources in Kindle Fire Settings.
    2. Install GoogleLoginService.apk.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Install the Google Apps.
    5. Start YouTube. Sign In. It will take you to Google Account Manager to create/use existing Google credentials.
    6. Same goes for other apps. In case sign in fails for any of the apps (except Maps/GTalk) drag down the Kindle Fire notification bar, click on the notification for "Permission requested....." and assign required permissions.

The files can be downloaded from here
    https://www.box.com/s/kf6n8qpdncscnhmsz3ox

UPDATE: Thanks to alkemist80, installing GoogleServicesFramework.apk, rebooting & installing Talk from the following post, Talk works perfectly fine on Kindle Fire HD, unless it goes into sleep mode.
    (If existing apps stop responding at this point, remove and reinstall them)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31814980&postcount=20
    Is it possible to get the newest version of YouTube to work on this without root? I couldn't sign in, kept telling me I needed Google Play installed. So I'm guessing it won't work. I'm currently using an older 3.5 version which is okay, but I like the newer versions more.

Don't think latest one (4.2.16) works properly un-rooted, latest one I got working with sign-in was YouTube version 4.1.47 which I can't really tell the difference between that & 4.2.16 so that may help you.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Also for any new KFHD owners a bit bewildered by this thread I've managed to get these Google Apps listed below working great on my Kindle Fire HD (Stock 7.2.3) with the GoogleLoginService.apk & GoogleFrameworkServices.apk mentioned at the end of the post, just install both of those & reboot your KFHD & then install any of these GApps, sign-in should work if done correctly :)

• Gmail 4.0.5 (Sign-in working, syncs mail but can be a little buggy, versions 4.1.2 & 4.2.1 are very buggy, notifications don't work)
    • Google Chrome 18.0.1025469 (Sign-in working, shows Sync options but haven't checked anything else)
    • Google Drive 1.1.470.15 (Sign-in working, downloaded & ran files OK)
    • Google Maps 6.14.2 (Settings work without crashing if both Google Service APKs are installed)
    • Google Play Music 4.5.910I.560208 (Sign-in working, my uploaded Music was playable etc.)
    • Google Play Movies 2.3.7 (Sign-in working, but doesn't seem to be very useful without Google Play Store)
    • Google Currents 2.0.1 (Sign-in works, App seemed to work well)
    • Google Calendar 201212060 (Sign-in working, although it does give a Notification about Google Play Services though even if installed)
    • Google+ 3.5.0.41809231 (Sign-in working, created an account on the device, settings worked & seemed to run OK)
    • YouTube 4.1.47 (Sign-in working, no major issues so far)

Think most of those are up-to-date versions bar Youtube & Gmail as of posting.

Download both Google Service APKs from here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

Thanks to alkemist80 & abhijitxp for putting me on the right track ;)
    Rapidshare Link

Havent expected the 10 GB bandwidth to get used up so soon.
    Uploaded to Rapidshare. Hope it works...
    https://rapidshare.com/files/3806704691/google_apps.rar?bin=1
    i heard some people wanted chrome's apk http://db.tt/XusgJqsX

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
    4.0.3 GoogleServicesFramework and Gtalk app from my EVO 3D. Both are running on my ROOTED kindle fire HD, no problems with google maps, play store or youtubeHD. However Gtalk does not seem to be supporting the front facing camera and causes the app to crash if you or someone else tries to connect via camera. Still trying to get gmail to function correctly, it will not push emails.

I seem to still be running into issues with Gtalk logging out while the device is in sleep mode.