[Tutorial] How to get $30 prepaid plan with T-Mobile new activation

Search This thread

Syn Ack

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear it's working well for you. So you seemed to be able to switch from postpaid to prepaid over the phone even with the regular SIM card. I already bought the prepaid SIM kit so I'll probably just go straight through activating with that SIM and not even use the SIM that comes with the phone. I should probably also call to cancel the postpaid account just in case. Hopefully it will all go smoothly and I'll have the $30 plan on the HTC One and be able to transfer my phone number.

That's great to hear about the Wifi calling feature too. So it allows for calls and texts? That's great to hear if I'm in an area with no coverage. When I'm at home, should I also use wifi calling? Better voice quality?

I use WiFi calling wherever I am at my house and anywhere that I usually connect to WiFi, not sure about the quality but it saves on battery.

jpzsports

Jun 15, 2010
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread, especially AirSupply, for helping me get my new HTC One on T-Mobile prepaid. Loving it so far! AirSupply, you mentioned that you rooted and installed ARHD. The phone runs pretty perfectly on stock. Is there any benefit to rooting and installing a custom ROM?

bradr00lzd00d1

Oct 1, 2011
Note: - This guide only works for new T-Mobile prepaid activation and with T-Mobile HTC One device.

Introduction: T-Mobile has the hidden $30 prepaid plan that has 100 talk minutes, unlimited text and 5GB data with 4G speed. This is the cheapest plan for prepaid IMHO. I have tested the data speed in Rochester, MN (not a refarmed 1900Mhz area), and the results are 16Mps download and 5Mps upload. You can transfer your number from other carrier (Straight Talk etc.) with this new activation. There is no activation fee. I haven't experienced any drop call or technical issue. The coverage is really good in Minnesota.

What you need to get started:

1. Activation kit (aka sim card). You can buy the activation kit from T-Mobile or Bestbuy store for 15 bucks, then print out this template (Link: http://bit.ly/TMaxwM) and cut it to micro sim. Keep the simcard card or write down the simcard number.

2. Buy a T-Mobile refill card from Walmart/Bestbuy (Link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443357) for first month. Keep the PIN number

3. A T-Mobile HTC One. You don't need to unlock the SIM. I paid full price for my device. It came flawlessly without any imperfections

Step-by-step process:

- Put the micro simcard that you cut (1) into the phone.

- In the activation kit, there is a activation card that has the activation code (11 digits number). You need this number.

- Go to www.t-mobile.com/prepaidactivation and follow the instruction (you simply put the simcard number and activation code)

(Note: if you don't have the device yet, you can type 9999999999)

- If you need to port your number from other carrier, don't forget to click on the option on the right. It took me 7-8 hours to get my number ported from ST to T-Mobile.

(Note: For Straight Talk Bring Your Own Device users, the account number is the simcard number from ST)

- After you submit, you now can choose your plan. Pick the $30 plan for 100 minutes + Unlimited text/data (5G with 4G speed).

- The last step is to fund your account for the first month. Take the PIN number from the refill card (2) and type it in.

Then, you are done. T-Mobile will send a confirmation email after you finish the process. If you choose a new number, you can use it instantly. If you want to port your number, it will take no more than 24 hours to get the number ported.

If you have any problem or concern with the porting process, call this number 877-789-3106. This is the T-Mobile department in charge for porting number. They can assist you and tell you when your number is ready to use. :good:

Enjoy your new phone and awesome (but affordable) service with T-Mobile :laugh:

P/S: My device came with locked bootloader. I followed this instruction (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2265618) to unlock bootloader/ flash new recovery and new ROM. I am using ARHD 8.1 ROM, and it works perfectly on T-Mobile. The Wifi calling feature is working with this ROM too. Many thanks to mike1986

Is this the SIM activation kit your talking about? http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones...bile-Prepaid-SIM-Activation-Kit&class=prepaid
Also what do you mean by 'for first month keep the pin number'?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

uforiax

Jan 10, 2011
other phones?

What makes this only work with the One...what would stop a person from starting on the One...and then switching the Sim to a different phone?

AirSupply

Mar 6, 2008
What makes this only work with the One...what would stop a person from starting on the One...and then switching the Sim to a different phone?

This method can work with any smartphone that support T-Mobile network. However, the HTC One supports both 1700 and 1900Mhz, so you may get LTE speed in the refarmed area (otherwise it is HSPA+ speed)

Reactions: uforiax

uforiax

Jan 10, 2011
in store shenanagins

ok...so I went to a retail store to buy this "activation kit" (2 stores actually) and when I asked for it...they just looked at me like I was from another planet...so I said I just needed a sim for a phone I already had...and they HAD to set me up with basic service/phone #, and all they gave me was a new punch-out sim...but no "acitvation #"

Is there a special SIM I need to get (was able to get a mico-SIM from a tmobile store...didnt have to cut), or is this only avail with the original sized sims?

When I plug in the info on the website, it tells me this is not a valid activation code (when I put in all 9s) and this SIM is already activated.

Again, when I asked for an unactivated SIM at a Tmobile store...they said they dont sell them anymore.

sooooo frustrated.

thanks for the help

Reactions: skiman10

AirSupply

Mar 6, 2008
Follow closely to my guide and you will be fine. You have to cut your own micro sim because T-Mobile stores won't sell it to you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

uforiax

Jan 10, 2011
Follow closely to my guide and you will be fine. You have to cut your own micro sim because T-Mobile stores won't sell it to you.

So I noticed. Got the sim, cut it. works. Now...will any $30 prepay card work...or only the one from Walmart. Ive attempted twice to purchase it from them (with debit card I know is good, and pay pal account I also know is good) and the purchase got kicked back both times. Can I just get a basic one from best buy (or target for that matter) and plug it into your directions?

AirSupply

Mar 6, 2008
If i sim unlocked an ATT One it could be used correct? Does it have the radio to get T-mobile 4G?

From my understanding, the ATT version doesn't have the 1900Mhz baseband, so you can't use T-Mobile LTE. But sim unlocked ATT model can run on T-Mobile HSPA+ network. Maybe someone knows more than me can answer this correctly

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
From my understanding, the ATT version doesn't have the 1900Mhz baseband, so you can't use T-Mobile LTE. But sim unlocked ATT model can run on T-Mobile HSPA+ network. Maybe someone knows more than me can answer this correctly

HSPA+ is actually plenty. I have LTE now, coming from T-mobile and i dont see much of an advantage for what i do. 4G is plenty fast for a phone IMO.

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Quick question, when you have prepaid and use wifi calling, does it still deduct from your 100 minutes? Or are the calls you make via wifi free?

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
hmm okay thanks.

Planning to leave sprint right now, so trying to decide what I wanna do.

Of course going prepaid means I need to pay for my phone in full.. which I may or may not want to do any time soon or at all :\

G

GuestD1098

If i sim unlocked an ATT One it could be used correct? Does it have the radio to get T-mobile 4G?

^^Is just a little off; the ATT version (like the Unlocked editions) does not support Tmobiles 1700 band for HSPA+, it only gets HSPA+ in refarmed 1900 areas, it does however completely support Tmobiles LTE bands.

clninja

Jun 25, 2011
Denver
Fyi ... I work in a T-Mobile store and activate the $30 prepaid plan all the time for customers. it's just a matter of knowing what your doing as a rep. Not hard at all. I activate a pay as you go number in store then call customer care and have them change it to the $30 unlim plan

leebo

Apr 4, 2007
I've been reading about T-Mobiles $30 plan, but I wasn't aware it was prepaid. Can I still get the One by paying $99 up front and making the $$20 installments with this plan?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

AirSupply

Mar 6, 2008
No, you have to pay full price for the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: - This guide only works for new T-Mobile prepaid activation and with T-Mobile HTC One device.

Introduction: T-Mobile has the hidden $30 prepaid plan that has 100 talk minutes, unlimited text and 5GB data with 4G speed. This is the cheapest plan for prepaid IMHO. I have tested the data speed in Rochester, MN (not a refarmed 1900Mhz area), and the results are 16Mps download and 5Mps upload. You can transfer your number from other carrier (Straight Talk etc.) with this new activation. There is no activation fee. I haven't experienced any drop call or technical issue. The coverage is really good in Minnesota.

What you need to get started:

1. Activation kit (aka sim card). You can buy the activation kit from T-Mobile or Bestbuy store for 15 bucks, then print out this template (Link: http://bit.ly/TMaxwM) and cut it to micro sim. Keep the simcard card or write down the simcard number.

2. Buy a T-Mobile refill card from Walmart/Bestbuy (Link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443357) for first month. Keep the PIN number

3. A T-Mobile HTC One. You don't need to unlock the SIM. I paid full price for my device. It came flawlessly without any imperfections

Step-by-step process:

- Put the micro simcard that you cut (1) into the phone.

- In the activation kit, there is a activation card that has the activation code (11 digits number). You need this number.

- Go to www.t-mobile.com/prepaidactivation and follow the instruction (you simply put the simcard number and activation code)

(Note: if you don't have the device yet, you can type 9999999999)

- If you need to port your number from other carrier, don't forget to click on the option on the right. It took me 7-8 hours to get my number ported from ST to T-Mobile.

(Note: For Straight Talk Bring Your Own Device users, the account number is the simcard number from ST)

- After you submit, you now can choose your plan. Pick the $30 plan for 100 minutes + Unlimited text/data (5G with 4G speed).

- The last step is to fund your account for the first month. Take the PIN number from the refill card (2) and type it in.

Then, you are done. T-Mobile will send a confirmation email after you finish the process. If you choose a new number, you can use it instantly. If you want to port your number, it will take no more than 24 hours to get the number ported.

If you have any problem or concern with the porting process, call this number 877-789-3106. This is the T-Mobile department in charge for porting number. They can assist you and tell you when your number is ready to use. :good:

Enjoy your new phone and awesome (but affordable) service with T-Mobile :laugh:

P/S: My device came with locked bootloader. I followed this instruction (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2265618) to unlock bootloader/ flash new recovery and new ROM. I am using ARHD 8.1 ROM, and it works perfectly on T-Mobile. The Wifi calling feature is working with this ROM too. Many thanks to mike1986
    I did this a month ago with my HTC One. Bought the phone from T-Mobile store, paid it in full, signed up for the cheapest post-paid plan, the $50 one. I also paid for that at the same time as the phone. I was running off of that plan for about 6 hours and then I called T-Mobile to get switched to the $30 5gb plan. After about 10 minutes of talking to the low-level customer service rep, they were saying I couldn't switch to the plan because it is technically Walmart's plan and not T-Mobile's. I knew it was completely not true, so I spoke to that person's supervisor and he immediately switched me over to the $30 plan, with maybe a couple of minutes of switching time after the phone call. After that, all was good, my original $50 payment was still valid and it was used by the $30 plan, so I had a $20 remaining balance in my account that I use in case I go over my minutes. After you go over your 100 minutes, it's 10cents a minute after that so long as you have money in your T-Mobile account. My first month of the service is about to be over in 4 days and I only spent $6 (60 minutes) of my $20 balance on my account.

So for entire bill for the first month will be under $40 assuming I don't talk on the phone for more than 40 minutes between now and Friday 5/24.

* I also went out of town to bumblef*ck North Carolina and I was getting zero service in the mountains, like everyone else, but slightly worse service where AT&T users were getting data and I wasn't. But that all changed when I had WiFi calling in the cabin, and nobody else had that option. So I was still gettings calls and texts, whereas everyone else had to wait until they were on the drive home and got service again.
    I will be vacationing in the US next week and I plan on getting the $30.00 5Gb prepaid plan. Does anyone here know if tethering is possible on these prepaid plans?

No tethering is included, so you'll have to use third-party tethering apps/hacks/mods.

HSPA+ is actually plenty. I have LTE now, coming from T-mobile and i dont see much of an advantage for what i do. 4G is plenty fast for a phone IMO.
    I have a new sim around here somewhere. Could I use that to set it up?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

You should be able to do exactly that.