[SOFTWARE GUIDE]**Odin Back To Stock**Retail Verizon S5 Firmware Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

1sicktsi

Aug 9, 2014
Upstate NY
Maybe the tar is a bad download. Try downloading it again. Also try adding the pit file and check the md5 as well.

i have downloaded the tar now 3 times, i will try adding the pit file and see what happens, if i cannot get this, could verizon at the store hook it up to there equipment and get it to work?

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

still odin hangs up everytime at the aboot.mbn , just like in the picture i posted, ugh!!

G

GuestK00143

i have downloaded the tar now 3 times, i will try adding the pit file and see what happens, if i cannot get this, could verizon at the store hook it up to there equipment and get it to work?

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

still odin hangs up everytime at the aboot.mbn , just like in the picture i posted, ugh!!
I'm not sure what the problem is. I just flashed the new NE9 firmware, then the NCG to root and back to the NE9 kernel no problem. As long as you are not rooted and the custom lock is gone you can go to Verizon but don't mention anything about rooting or they will void your warranty. Give Kies a try first. Maybe you can upgrade the firmware from that.

G

GuestK00143

Guys, it has already been confirmed that the NE9 aboot allows for downgrading back to NCG. And I have confirmed that the aboot in the NE9 full odin .tar and in the NE9 OTA.zip are the same.
Yes, I can now confirm the new firmware can be flashed back to NCG to root. I just did it.:laugh:

1sicktsi

Aug 9, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm not sure what the problem is. I just flashed the new NE9 firmware, then the NCG to root and back to the NE9 kernel no problem. As long as you are not rooted and the custom lock is gone you can go to Verizon but don't mention anything about rooting or they will void your warranty. Give Kies a try first. Maybe you can upgrade the firmware from that.

im am not rooted anymore, i unrooted yesterday to do the firmware update and thats when i noticed it would not update from the phone, keeps failing, and thats when i started to try odin, i will try KIES now and see what happens, if not work, i am gonna head over to verizon and see what they can do

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

hmmm, very strange, i am running windows 8 and would not work, wife is running windows 8 on her pc and would not work, keeps getting stuck where i said, i decided to give my sons pc a try, he is running windows 7 and it is installing the firmware now on my phone. its working perfect on his pc as we speak

Last edited:
G

GuestK00143

im am not rooted anymore, i unrooted yesterday to do the firmware update and thats when i noticed it would not update from the phone, keeps failing, and thats when i started to try odin, i will try KIES now and see what happens, if not work, i am gonna head over to verizon and see what they can do

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

hmmm, very strange, i am running windows 8 and would not work, wife is running windows 8 on her pc and would not work, keeps getting stuck where i said, i decided to give my sons pc a try, he is running windows 7 and it is installing the firmware now on my phone.
Good, but I'm on Win 8.1 with no problems. Anyway at least it's working now. Good deal.

1sicktsi

Aug 9, 2014
Upstate NY
Good, but I'm on Win 8.1 with no problems. Anyway at least it's working now. Good deal.

yeah its very strange, we both on windows 8.1 , running super computers sort of lol, both running amd 8 core processors over clocked with 32 gigs ram , and his is just a little **** box running windows 7 and its working fine lol

thank you how ever for trying to help out :)

rhodiggah

Aug 11, 2010
South City
yeah its very strange, we both on windows 8.1 , running super computers sort of lol, both running amd 8 core processors over clocked with 32 gigs ram , and his is just a little **** box running windows 7 and its working fine lol

thank you how ever for trying to help out :)

This might help... Make sure Samsung drivers are updated and try using a 2.0 usb cable (not the one that came with the phone 3.0 usb cable ) Hopefully that solves your problem...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1sicktsi

Aug 9, 2014
Upstate NY
This might help... Make sure Samsung drivers are updated and try using a 2.0 usb cable (not the one that came with the phone 3.0 usb cable ) Hopefully that solves your problem...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for the info, but all is good now, yeah i was using a 2.0 usb cable, did my homework before i started this process lol. worked perfect on my sons pc and all is good again with the updated firmware, now to start all over again rooting lol

im still puzzled tho why odin was getting stuck at the aboot.mbn on my pc and my wife's running windows 8.1

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
Oh but it gets weirder...

Very long story short, I managed to slice up my leg (mostly annoying and looks worse than it is) in a dumb shop accident. Trying to calm down after that, I put my leg up and, to keep me distracted from aches and pains, started the process to restore root to my phone. The good news is my phone is very much rooted (all sorts of root dependent apps agree on that) but... I jumped over the "first NCG and then NE9" bit and flashed NE9 without NCG first. I ran towelroot V3 and... the phone is rooted. The steps I took are:
1) Phone has the latest OTA, that killed rooting and won't allow towelroot V3 to restore root.
2) Remove towelroot.apk (to make room for V3)
3) Flash NE9 with Odin (no errors or gripes from Odin or the phone)
4) D/L and apply towelroot V3. It reports it ran successfully.
5) Test for root with Root Checker. Root Checker says not rooted.
6) Restart phone. Root Checker says the phone is rooted. Phone Info says knox=0x0

AFAIK, this shouldn't have worked, but it did.

Two interesting things have happened since then:
1) I had to reinstall passwords for the two AP's I run here. I have other secured sites in the WiFi list, but won't be able to check them for a couple of weeks. My bet is those passwords are lost, too.
2) The home screen has changed slightly, with two features I've never seen before. When I open a folder with app icons in it, there's a menu for changing the folder's background color. When the folder open, the stuff in the background, behind the folder, now become translucent (not dimmed). Maybe that happened before, not that I can recall.

Anyway, I'm rooted but it sure seems strange that I got there as I did.

sk167

Aug 14, 2014
Hey guys. I'm aware I am new here and Most probably could care less about me, but I have an issue.

My phone galaxy s5 on verizon was NEVER rooted. I updated when there was an update maybe a week ago...

i decided i wanted to root today and saw i had to go back before the update to the retail/stock file.

so i followed this guide and odin says failed after about 5 seconds and now my phone won't start but I can get into odin/download mode..is my phone bricked ?? how can i get it to work again

UPDATE* SO I was using the files on VMWare fusion on my mac, tried it on my ol' windows xp and it worked. its currently almost done with the NE9 file, but I can not root on this right ? Should I chance it and try the other one on XP and see if it works ?

Last edited:

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
AFAIK, using Odin, from a Mac, to do rooting is not the best choice. Since you've restored control of the phone using a WinXP box, I'd say that answers that question. Stick with the WinXP box.

To your question about can you root the NE9 kernel installed via Odin, see my note above (note all of the steps I took). Try using towelroot (use Chrome to access towelroot.com!). Towelroot doesn't seem to break things if it can't follow the exploit, towelroot simply says the phone isn't supported. YMMV of course.

If that doesn't work, go back to NCG, use towelroot, take NE9, and you should be rooted. Once again YMMV

Finally - the method I got away with is not, not, not an "official", "approved", or otherwise listed "works for me" procedure. I've asked, in this and another forum, about why it worked, and don't have an answer. It didn't hurt my phone, I seem to have lost some WiFi passwords (odd...) and picked up a minor home screen change, but otherwise the phone works as before, except it's rooted. But, one last time, Your Mileage May Vary.

G

GuestK00143

Just want to say. This is an awesome guide. Thank you very much. I'm new to the Verizon side. I've been one the Samsung Galaxy since the S1 only on Sprint tho. Just picked up my S5 a few days ago.
Thanks,I plan on adding firmware and modem files soon. I'm happy this is helping so many people.

bullseye8877

Dec 2, 2010
Sorry for nooby question but can i use mobile odin to flash this? I don't have a convenient access to a computer for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lol "will this give us custom recovery" "will this trip knox counter" answer is no before ppl ask lmao. This is great to have though! i was lookin for a odin tar yesterday n here it is!

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app
    Hey guys,

I just did a quick cleanup here. Let's all remember to keep it civil and play nice.

Thanks!
    Rwilco12
    Wow, nobody bothers to do any reading of threads any more before posting questions. And don't expect anyone now to actually go searching for the answer when you direct them to it. You could tell someone their answer is in the OP of the first pinned thread in the Q & A section and they will respond with, "Link please." People have gotten so lazy, they can't even be bothered to follow those simple directions and instead want a direct link so they won't actually have to make the effort to go find the thread. SMDH.

I would say the reverse of this....everybody is so quick to jump down other people's throats without any understanding of their situation. Is so easy to insult others on a message board post. I did read the thread and ran multiple searches across various sites but did not understand why after an ODIN restore and multiple reboots, the unlock symbol was still showing. Subsequently, after I posted the question, I had done another reboot the unlock symbol disappeared. What I was trying to ascertain was whether or not anyone had experienced persistent unlock symbol.

Also, not to pile on but something to consider before you electronically b-slap someone, searching on tapatalk is not always simple and its easy to tell someone to read a thread that is multiple pages and hundreds of posts long. I always have to laugh when people say, read the thread, and the thread is 300 + posts, half of which is full of people's brain farts. Not that this thread was that long, but I am just making a point.

There is an old saying to think before you speak and I think many XDA members need to translate that across to think before you type.
    Sorry if this a noobish question, I've never used Odin. By repartition are you saying I can use this to make the system partition smaller and add more space to the rest of the system?

lol its not like a hdd in a pc.. itll basically reformat n repartition the drive like new i believe

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app
    I get a fail. I am Using ALL_VZW_G900VVRU1ANCG_G900VVZW1ANCG_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar with Odin3 and "AP" Checked marked. Did I do some thing wrong? I am trying to get the phone back to stock to sell it. Thanks all!

You won't be able to flash that (NCG) unless the phone you're flashing to was still BOD5 or earlier. This is because BOE1 and later permanently prevent downgrading.