[ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

Search This thread

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Not true it can trigger Knox. I found out the hard way on my European 8.4 flashing a US ROM. It didn't flash properly (ext4) error and then I had to restore with kies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
From what a lot of people gathered when the Note 3 came out (I got mine on day one release and the first with Knox) as long as the firmware version being flashed was equal to or greater than the currently installed, you would be fine. That has been case for me, but i suppose there is always a risk something can go wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
SMT520 was kernel jan14 flashed his kernel apr3
used towelrootv2 and don't have root access

on build anae fwiw

it also seems to know something is up because now i get a notification that tells me there was suspicious activity on my tablet and to reboot to make changes. rebooted and still get the notification so i assume it's just trying to revert. at this point i dont feel the need to flash stock recovery i'm sure a reliable, working root method will be there sooner than later.

on further reading it just appears that any exynos processor tablet wont be able to take advantage of towelroot until geo decides to open support. makes sense the 8.4 (wifi/lte) versions as well as all the qualcomm LTE versions of the tab pro/note lines are working.
Can you tell me what your current firmware version is?

Update: Ignore that, I've taken the 520 down as the Exynos version of any device seems to be immune/hit or miss.

The Qualcomm versions are all good though.

Last edited:

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Can confirm it works on Tab Pro 8.4. I didn't have to mess about with flashing different Kernel for some reason. Below is the firmware that was on my device.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi Only (SM-T320)
Region: UK
Version: T320XXU1BNE3
Build Date: 2014/5/27

After installing towelroot V2 I just pressed the button on the app and let it do it's magic and then installed SuperSU/Pro. And that was it. All rooted and it didn't trip the Knox flag. Now titanium backup and similar root like apps work. Brilliant. Well pleased
Your firmware is using the Kernel that's in this thread anyway, looks like you've got DBT region.

Unless you've flashed the just released UK version that firmware.

Last edited:
Your firmware is using the Kernel that's in this thread anyway, looks like you've got DBT region.

My CSC says BTU (United Kingdom). I was just giving the heads up mate to confirm that all is good. If it wasn't for this thread with the excellent instructions I probably would of still be hesitating to try it. Cheers. Much appreciated :good:

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
My CSC says BTU (United Kingdom). I was just giving the heads up mate to confirm that all is good. If it wasn't for this thread with the excellent instructions I probably would of still be hesitating to try it. Cheers. Much appreciated :good:
No worries, didn't mean it to sound sarky (sorry if it did) Did your device come with that version or did you flash it?

Scratch that, I thought you had the 325 (which doesn't have NE3 yet) just noticed you have 320.

Unless you've flashed the just released UK version that firmware.

No worries, didn't mean it to sound sarky (sorry if it did) Did your device come with that version or did you flash it?[/QUOTE

No Offense taken Mate. Came with BTU firmware and I've never deviated from it. I got an OTA update last week sometime to the latest that I listed in previous post.

Nutsonfire

Jun 13, 2010
Nyon
From what a lot of people gathered when the Note 3 came out (I got mine on day one release and the first with Knox) as long as the firmware version being flashed was equal to or greater than the currently installed, you would be fine. That has been case for me, but i suppose there is always a risk something can go wrong.

I read in an S5 thread about region being also an issue. After I tried flashing the US ROM I could not flash the original ROM either and warranty was still 0x0. I think that it went to 0x1 after using kies. Since you have to enter your serial to restore, I guess that your device gets flagged in a database somewhere too.

Reactions: Stampanello

trefe90

Dec 11, 2013
My Tablet is SM-T320

The kernel version is EUR XX T320XXU1ANAG NA26R1

Build Number KOT49H.T320XXU1ANAI

But when connected to the computer that displays Kies PDA: NAI / CSC: NB2 (ZTO)

TowelRoot v2 installed, but unable to root. The unit restarts after clicking on the "Make it Rain" button.

About Knox.
From what I have read, install whatever official firmware (stock) via Odin will not trigger the flag. However I had some doubts:

1 - The fact that I install an earlier version of the firmware I have installed will raise the flag?

2 - Install any different firmware from my region will raise the flag?

About point 1 and 2. Some users report that failed to return the original firmware by Odin after installing a firmware from a different region.

3 - If an erro occurs and the installation via odin not finish successfully, thus leaving the option to restore the Kies, this procedure will also raise the flag?

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
My Tablet is SM-T320

The kernel version is EUR XX T320XXU1ANAG NA26R1

Build Number KOT49H.T320XXU1ANAI

But when connected to the computer that displays Kies PDA: NAI / CSC: NB2 (ZTO)

TowelRoot v2 installed, but unable to root. The unit restarts after clicking on the "Make it Rain" button.

About Knox.
From what I have read, install whatever official firmware (stock) via Odin will not trigger the flag. However I had some doubts:

1 - The fact that I install an earlier version of the firmware I have installed will raise the flag?

2 - Install any different firmware from my region will raise the flag?

About point 1 and 2. Some users report that failed to return the original firmware by Odin after installing a firmware from a different region.

3 - If an erro occurs and the installation via odin not finish successfully, thus leaving the option to restore the Kies, this procedure will also raise the flag?

1, correct, you can't go back to an earlier firmware you will trigger Knox.

2, not necessarily, providing it's equal to or greater than the currently installed firmware, you should be fine.

3, the worst you'll need to do is just reflash the kernel, but it's that quick you'll be very unlucky if it happened.
guys,

Is root maintained if you get an OTA software update?
No, regardless of what root method you use.You will need to do what practically everyone here does anyway, and flash any new firmware manually.

Reactions: trefe90

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
Are you guys experiencing any random reboots after using towel root?

I am seeing some but don't know if it is specifically having to do with towel root.

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Are you guys experiencing any random reboots after using towel root?

I am seeing some but don't know if it is specifically having to do with towel root.
None whatsoever, just as it was before i rooted it.
What sort of root apps have you installed since rooting it? Could be one of those causing the problem, rooting alone shouldn't do what you're experiencing.

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
None whatsoever, just as it was before i rooted it.
What sort of root apps have you installed since rooting it? Could be one of those causing the problem, rooting alone shouldn't do what you're experiencing.

I am surprised that no one Iis reporting random reboot issue.

This may not be due to towel root but inherent with the NE3 firmware, a lot of people are reporting this if you look around.

This may not be due to towel root but inherent with the NE3 firmware, a lot of people are reporting this if you look around.

I was getting it a lot after I had disabled all the knox services on NE3. Done fresh install kept knox active and never had a problem since. Do you have knox disabled?

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006

That's one big difference in my setup compared to yours I suppose, I'm using the latest firmware for my region which is ND3 but using a NE3 kernel.

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
I was getting it a lot after I had disabled all the knox services on NE3. Done fresh install kept knox active and never had a problem since. Do you have knox disabled?

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks guys, unfortunately I cannot downgrade firmware.

I did disable Knox, I will try to enable it. Does Knox mess with root apps?

MaluNoPeleke

Jan 8, 2011
www.peleke.de
SMT520 was kernel jan14 flashed his kernel apr3
used towelrootv2 and don't have root access

on build anae fwiw

it also seems to know something is up because now i get a notification that tells me there was suspicious activity on my tablet and to reboot to make changes. rebooted and still get the notification so i assume it's just trying to revert. at this point i dont feel the need to flash stock recovery i'm sure a reliable, working root method will be there sooner than later.

on further reading it just appears that any exynos processor tablet wont be able to take advantage of towelroot until geo decides to open support. makes sense the 8.4 (wifi/lte) versions as well as all the qualcomm LTE versions of the tab pro/note lines are working.

I hope there will be a way to root the SM-T520 without tripping KNOX

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
There's no way of downgrading, you may have even tripped it just trying to go down, once rooted, SuperSU by Chainfire will take care of Knox.

Ok, reporting back.

Reflashed original firmware, towel root, and let supersu take care of KNOX.

No reboot so far, hope I didn't speak too soon.

For reference, before I had further disabled other KNOX services thru Titianium Backup and this time I didn't.

konsolen

Jan 28, 2012
Vienna
reboot

I had many Reboots since the NB firmware version.
Now i flashed the New NF3 and no reboots.

But towelroot doesnt work anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may be aware, GeoHotz has created an app to root an android device using a recently discovered exploit.
    I tried it on my LTE Tab Pro 8.4 which had the latest firmware for my region "BTU" which is NB7,

It wouldn't work, but another XDA member @Inuit, said it worked for him with the DBT NE5 firmware he has on his device.

SO! I downloaded the DBT NE5 file, extracted the Kernel and repackaged it and flashed the Kernel on it's own. Then tried the root method.
    I have now successfully rooted the device and kept Knox at a cool 0x0.

I chose to do things this way, as I wanted to keep my regions firmware and not that of another county.
    So I still have my original firmware, but I am now using the newer Kernel, everything seems to be working fine but considering I only did this 15 minutes ago, I haven't had enough time to test. But connectivity is fine, battery levels fine etc...

UPDATE: Everything is fine for me, loaded Xposed modules, no adverse affects at all

I have attached the repackaged Kernel, all you need to do, is go into download mode and flash the file under the "AP" Tab in Odin 3.09.

Then install the TowelRoot app, which you can get from the links in the thread below:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Install the latest, SuperSU (again links in the above thread).

You should be rooted and Knox kept at a cool 0x0.

I have tested the this on my Device the T325 and another user tested the Kernel for the Wi-Fi version T320 and are working fine But!
    You try at your own risk!
    Download links below

attachment.php

attachment.php

TR Rootable Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325
    Original NG1 Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325

TR Rootable Kernel for Wi-Fi Only 8.4 SM-T320
    Original NG1 Kernel for Wifi Only 8.4 SM-T320

TR Rootable Kernel for SM-T525 10.1 LTE SM-T525

Since I had to read the 33 pages to root my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 without tripping Knox, here's what I did to root it:

1.- Checked my current firmware: T320UEU1AOC1 with Kernel Version 3.4.0-4441590.
    2.- Downloaded Odin, the Samsung USB Drivers.
    3.- Powered off tablet, then pressed Home + Volume Down + Power, then Volume Up, and plugged in the USB cable after that.
    4.- Loaded Odin, clicked on AP, loaded the TR Rootable Kernel from first post.
    5.- Everything went smoothly, checked the tablet: same firmware and same Kernel version 3.4.0 but way older (from April 2014).
    6.- Went to towelroot.com, downloaded APK, executed it, everything ok, rebooted tablet and it's rooted. Installed SuperSU, disabled Knox (and I have no issues whatsoever).
    7.- Repeated steps 3 and 4 but using stormygal's AOC1 Kernel pack found in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59969126&postcount=302
    8.- Rebooted, still rooted with current firmware and current kernel version.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I read every post and I'm pretty sure every single one was useful.
    The stock kernel in the op is for a g1. I am on K1.

Check my thread. I have the pieces, including kernel. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2954549
    I am in the same boat. Haven't yet rooted my device with the same build. Your summary post is atleast helpful to me. If you could document your steps briefly, that would very helpful. Btw, does this method trips KNOX? Thanks

Glad you found it useful!

Actually, if I had to do it over again, I would probably do it the way I am going to describe below, as I am stuck on the G1 build for now, and upgrading to the K1 build rooted will require backing up and redoing many things. The K1 build supposedly has some added benefits (? faster wifi, better auto-dimming). I've only had it a few days and don't have any problems with G1 so I'll stick with it for now. Discussion on the newer K1 is here http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8/general/nk1-version-t2952355

1. Let the OTA update upgrade you from G1 to K1.
    2. Power down the tablet. Then boot your tablet into download mode (power on while holding volume down). Using ODIN 3.09 or higher, take the TR Rootable Kernel from the first post here, and place it in the AP slot. Earlier versions will call that slot PDA. I think it will still work regardless of Odin version.
    3. Boot back into Android. Check that the kernel is 3.4.0-1263708 with an April 2014 build.
    4. Then run towelroot. It should say it was successful. Install supersu to manage root privileges. It will ask if you want to disable Knox. Some/many people have had issues with reboots if they elect to do this, so I've selected NEVER.
    5. Go back into download mode, and restore the K1 kernel. It should be available http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8/general/t320xar1ank1-extracted-stock-firmware-t2954549

The whole point of using towelroot is that it will not trip the Knox e-fuse. You're limited to just having root on the stock Touchwiz rom though.

Knox if fairly annoying and will continue to bug you for doing advanced root-related things. I installed xposed and Wanam, and one of the options in Wanam is to turn off the Knox annoyances.
    SM-T320 With T320XXU1ANAI from Peru

I want to confirm that using the kernel posted in this thread I was able to root the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 using [TR] with the stock firmware T320XXU1ANAI

Of course Knox flag was not tripped.

Thanks!