• Thinkfree Mobile

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • OfficeSuite Pro+

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Kingsoft Office

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • SoftMaker Apps

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other (e.g. Google Docs or other online apps)

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

afr33s

May 25, 2008
Plymouth, UK
What about AndrOpen Office? A full open office port available free from okay store!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Just checked out AndrOpenOffice.

Functionality wise, This looks amazing.

I think it will demolish current native Android competitors.

In Native apps, Too many functionalities have been sacrificed for Android GUI design principles.

chinarabbit

Dec 14, 2008
天下
Just checked out AndrOpenOffice.

Functionality wise, This looks amazing.

I think it will demolish current native Android competitors.

In Native apps, Too many functionalities have been sacrificed for Android GUI design principles.

are you saying its just a straight OpenOffice Port? from OpenOffice.org?

can you compare functionality? I dont use OpenOffice at all.. Does the Android have Macros, Wildcard Replace, and PDF Export?

chinarabbit

Dec 14, 2008
天下
Try it yourself. It's free! :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

doubtful

SoftMaker OfficeMaker is pretty awesome..

if Open Office had advanced functions like Recording Macros & Running VBA Scripts, and Advanced Wildcard Find & Replace Functionality, I'm sure there wouldnt be a "best of" list, and thats all anyone would use.

Of all the ones I have already tried, SoftMaker OfficeMaker is by far the one with the highest Fidelity Input & Output, It's a true Office App which creates, opens, saves and exports exactly like Microsoft Office does.

So unless Open Office has Macros & Wildcards, I dont really have a reason to go testing everything out

-

Reactions: afr33s

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
AndroOpenOffice is relatively new, so it might very well become the best in terms of functionality.

But things of high functionality are rarely popular due to the proportiojally higher learning curve.

AndroOpenOffice does support macros.

pacha32

Aug 23, 2014
Wavre
Working off-line or locally

Hello world,

I'm new to this site and please forgive my (nearly ?) broken english as I'm an oldddd man from Belgium ;). This comparison job is of great value, very useful and I thank its author for his very high quality job and also all other contributors.

One point I couldn't clearly find in the charts is about he ability to work "off-line" or locally. I know it's not in the current trend for "always-Internet-connected-people" and I'm in no way a kind of paranoiac person. But in some case, we need to be on our own ressources.

Actually, I'm working on a house renovation project in the field where I have no access to free Wifi, as I use them at home or with city free Wifi spots. My mobile subscription is a very low cost one with a 10 MB limit (yes!) and I can't pay for overload in Internet traffic. But on my project, I don't need to connect to some cloud storage : definitely no need to access external resources. I just want to look at and edit my project XLS and DOC files, view my .JPG and .PDF files stored on my smartphone (standard Android 4.2.2) and in case of edit, to save them to my local storage, internal memory or SD card.

Some of the listed packages like Polaris don't work at all if not permanently connected to the Internet. Others allow you to save and retrieve files only from their proprietary storage areas or from the cloud services. And it could be that some such services keep a copy of passwords (if nothing else even more sensible) in their data files. And what can happen if these services just DIE, like any human being or activities ? Not to forget M. Assanje and NSA "affairs"...

I've read in some posts above a similar interest, but nothing applicable as from now, August 2014 and in Belgium (i.e. not the USA). Any suggestion welcome...

Last edited:

pacha32

Aug 23, 2014
Wavre
WPS Office, Kingston

Installed and could use it very easily, even if less powerful than MS OFFICE PRO 2010 on my Win 8.1 PC. Compatibility is good, enough for me. Also OK when off-line and for PDF viewing (even if difficult to read on my WIKO Iggy 4,5" screen).

Evaluated other suites :
OneSoftMob : Calculator or spreadsheet ? Free but not possible to save work.
OfficeSuite Viewer 7 : just a viewer !
SoftMaker Office : looks good but 19,99 € for the 3 DOC/XLS/PPT apps. First looking at free apps !

Eliminated
All apps that require a membership and allow only storage on cloud services :
Microsoft Office Mobile : Office 365 subscription and cloud storage only, to my experience.
GoogleSheets event if offline possible with proper configuration of Chrome browser, but Google storage is totally unavoidable as it syncs as soon as connected ; no way to prevent it. And file formats differ when working offline or online. Too much cons.
Or apps that do not allow to work locally :
Polaris Office 5.1.2

My first post as it was in french, and now completed above. Seems I forgot this is an English speaking Forum :confused:
Installé et utilisé avec plaisir, même si c'est évidemment moins puissant que MS OFFICE PRO 2010 sur mon PC Win 8.1. Mais la compatibilité me semble suffisante. Fonctionne très bien hors connection. Permet de bien visionner des PDF, même si sur mon Wiko IGGY de 4,5", il faut de bons yeux ou de bonnes lunettes, si pas une loupe.
Rien à redire pour cette application, hautement recommandable.

PS. : au départ, sujet orienté vers le TF101. Aujourd'hui, je pense qu'il aurait vocation à être plus universel. Encore une fois, du très bon travail.

Last edited:

AidanSonoda

Jul 10, 2009
Source Files …

I know the OP hasn't updated since early 2013 (huge thanks to funnycreature for over 2 years of great updates!), but I was curious, beginning my shopping for android office softs for my new S5, about how much has changed in the last year or so. On the off chance funnycreature still watches this thread, is there any chance of getting the last version of the source files? That is the desktop MSOffice files you were using for testing. I'd love to see how current versions compare to the last tested ones rendering the same files.

Sadly, I don't have the spare cash to test all of these suites, by I do already own Docs to Go / OfficeSuite Pro 7 & Polaris is now free. I'm curious how well AndrOpen renders native MS formats too.

There seems to be a terrible dearth of real testing/comparison of mobile office compatibility - this thread (old as it is) is still a top 5 google search result. Heck, it is the most informative of those top 5 as well (excepting that we can't know how much has changed since 2/2013).

funnycreature

I know the OP hasn't updated since early 2013 (huge thanks to funnycreature for over 2 years of great updates!), but I was curious, beginning my shopping for android office softs for my new S5, about how much has changed in the last year or so. On the off chance funnycreature still watches this thread, is there any chance of getting the last version of the source files? That is the desktop MSOffice files you were using for testing. I'd love to see how current versions compare to the last tested ones rendering the same files.

Sadly, I don't have the spare cash to test all of these suites, by I do already own Docs to Go / OfficeSuite Pro 7 & Polaris is now free. I'm curious how well AndrOpen renders native MS formats too.

There seems to be a terrible dearth of real testing/comparison of mobile office compatibility - this thread (old as it is) is still a top 5 google search result. Heck, it is the most informative of those top 5 as well (excepting that we can't know how much has changed since 2/2013).

Hey there,

I apologize for not updating this thread any longer. I wasn't even aware that it would show up in Google search! I guess I have a number of excuses, mainly that I have no more spare time and the other that I gave up on trying to be productive on my Android tab.

That said, I found myself using Office suites on my Galaxy Note II every now and then when I want to quickly review files that someone sent me. I can highly recommend using WPS (formerly Kingsoft Office) which is FREE! Alternatively I used the SoftMaker apps but they're pricey IMO. I also have/had AndrOpen installed but can't comment on its functionality much since I uninstalled it quickly (that must mean it didn't perform that well back then...)

Anyway, if you PM me your email address I'd be more than happy to share the files that I used for evaluation!

Cheers!

AidanSonoda

Jul 10, 2009
Hey there,

I apologize for not updating this thread any longer. I wasn't even aware that it would show up in Google search!

Nothing at all to apologize for, I'm glad you did all the work on this to start with. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll certainly try out WPS.

FWIW I tried AndrOpen this spring on my EvoLTE, but it was unusable on the 4.7" 720p screen … a pity since I use LibreOffice for all my office needs and have a lot of styles & macros made up. Trying it out again on my new S5 and finding it pretty great. On par, in limited trials, with OfficeSuite Pro (both of which have a lot of nested menus). Not as polished (some dialogues load with confirmation buttons off screen and the like), but useable, particularly if you are familiar enough with OpenOffice to know your way around. PDF export and support for TTF fonts on SDcard are huge pluses for me. Cheap too, less than $2 for pro version - happy to support the dev in any case.

I'll mention that it isn't very fast or battery friendly. I guess that has something to do with needing to run it's own instance of Xserver, etc. I guess performance is pretty bad if it bogs down on an 801, but any newish phone should be ok - for me, the performance issues are more of a minor bother than a hindrance to productivity.

… PM me your email address I'd be more than happy to share the files that I used for evaluation!

PM sent. Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE NOTE:

I do not have an updated version of Polaris if available since I am running my TF101 on an excellent custom ROM. I also have not found it necessary to update the Documents to Go comparison since the version number increased marginally (and it was never good to begin with).
    I also noticed that some apps might benefit from installing the right fonts into the internal memory into root/fonts. My comparison is based on a stock scenario where no additional fonts have been installed.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED overview table including the SoftMaker apps (although there is no "umbrella suite" like in the others). Please take some time to go through the features as some have actually improved!

I have also updated the next post (PowerPoint) and the Word comparison with the most recent office suites. Excel to follow soon!

Office_comp_Gen_feat.PNG

I also took a screenshot of the "welcome" screen of each suite:

Documents To Go Market link
    DocumentsToGo_welcome.png

Picsel Smart Office2 Market link
    SmartOffice_welcome.png

QuickOffice Pro HD Market link
    QuickOffice_welcome.png

Polaris Office
    Polaris_welcome.png

ThinkFree Mobile for Tablet Market link
    ThinkFree_welcome.png

OfficeSuite Pro + Market link
    OfficeSuitePro_welcome.png

Kingsoft Office Market link
    Kingsoft_welcome.png

SoftMaker Office Market link
    TextMaker_welcome.png
    Spreadsheet comparison [updated 02/18/2013]

A good spreadsheet can be used for hundreds of purposes: Inventory, checklists, schedules, shopping lists, etc. I think that this is one of the most important reasons to have a powerful mobile computing device! Unfortunately, there are still severe shortcomings with the currently available spreadsheet apps.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED overview table including the SoftMaker apps (although there is no "umbrella suite" like in the others). Please take some time to go through the features as some have actually improved!

I have also updated the PowerPoint and Word comparison with the most recent office suites.

Here is the overview table for a quick evaluation of some common/important features:

comparison_xlsx.PNG

TEXT AND CELL FORMATS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Excel 2010
    XLSX_Format_Original.PNG

Screenshot Documents To Go
    XLSX_Format_Docs2Go.png

Screenshot Picsel Smart Office
    XLSX_Format_Picsel.png

Screenshot QuickOffice HD Pro
    (It took forever to open the file and to switch tabs)
    XLSX_Format_QuickOffice.png

Screenshot Polaris Office
    XLSX_Format_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    XLSX_Format_ThinkFree.png

Screenshot PlanMaker
    XLSX_Format_SoftMaker.png

Screenshot OfficeSuite Pro+
    XLSX_Format_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office (taken form 2003 .xls file)
    XLSX_Format_King.png

TEXT AND CELL FORMATS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Excel 2010
    XLSX_Charts_Original.PNG

(note: this is obviously a montage; the charts are NOT shown and need to be viewed one by one)
    XLSX_Charts_Docs2Go.png

XLSX_Charts_Picsel.png

XLSX_Charts_QuickOffice.png

XLSX_Charts_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    XLSX_Charts_ThinkFree.png

XLSX_Charts_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office (had to use 2003 [.xls] format since .xlsx kept crashing)
    XLSX_Charts_King.png

Screenshot PlanMaker
    XLSX_Charts_SoftMaker.png
    Word comparison [Updated 02/17/2013]

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED comparison table including SoftMaker Presentations. Please take some time to go through the updated features as some have actually improved!

PS: If you like this comparison, hop over to http://www.academia-nutcrackers.com and check out my book on Word 2007!

Here is the overview table for a quick evaluation of some common/important features:

comparison_docx.PNG

PARAGRAPH AND FONT FORMATTING

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Word 2010
    DOCX_Paragraph_Original.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Picsel.png

DOCX_Paragraph_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree Office
    DOCX_Paragraph_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_Paragraph_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office
    DOCX_Paragraph_King.png

Screenshot SoftMaker TextMaker
    DOCX_Paragraph_SoftMaker.png

TABLES AND GRAPHICS

DOCX_Table_Original.png

DOCX_Table_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_Table_Picsel.png

DOCX_Table_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_Table_Polaris.png

DOCX_Table_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_Table_OfficeSuite.png

DOCX_Table_King.png

DOCX_Table_SoftMaker.png

LISTS AND TEXT BOX

DOCX_List_Original.png

DOCX_List_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_List_Picsel.png

DOCX_List_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_List_Polaris.png

DOCX_List_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_List_OfficeSuite.png

DOCX_List_King.png

DOCX_List_SoftMaker.png
    PowerPoint comparison [Updated 02/15/2013]

This post is to illustrate the differences in rendering/interpretation of the different Office Suites. The PowerPoint file contains three slides; the first showing the different graphics, the second showing some text formatting, and the third one a table and a graphic with some MS Office 2007+ effects.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED comparison table including SoftMaker Presentations. Please take some time to go through the updated features as some have actually improved!

comparison_pptX.PNG

IMPORTED GRAPHICS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
    PPTX_Graphics_Original.PNG

PPTX_Graphic_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Graphic_Picsel.png

PPTX_Graphic_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Graphic_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Graphic_ThinkFree.png

Screenshot OfficeSuite Pro
    PPTX_Graphic_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Graphic_King.png

Screenshot SoftMaker Presentations
    PPTX_Graphic_SoftMaker.png

TEXT FORMATTING

Original Screenshot from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
    PPTX_Text_Original.PNG

PPTX_Text_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Text_Picsel.png

PPTX_Text_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Text_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Text_ThinkFree.png

PPTX_Text_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Text_King.png

PPTX_Text_SoftMaker.png

TABLES AND EFFECTS

Original Screenshot from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
    PPTX_Effects_Original.PNG

PPTX_Effects_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Effects_Picsel.png

PPTX_Effects_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Effects_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Effects_ThinkFree.png

PPTX_Effects_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Effects_King.png

PPTX_Effects_SoftMaker.png
    Version 3.003 of Documents to Go was released. I haven't done in-depth evaluation yet but judging from the change log and the minimal increase of the version number, I don't expect much of an improvement regarding the short-comings of D2G's functionality.

changes:
    What's in this version:

3.003 (961) 5/19/11
    •Support Desktop Sync on Honeycomb (full version)
    •Improve main UI for Honeycomb
    •Various fixes/improvements -
    Fix registration on Moto Xoom
    Fix hyperlinks in PDF (full version)
    Improve PDF stability (full version)
    Improve overall stability
    Support external SD/USB on Acer A500