[Q] sms without root

Search This thread

dememted1

Nov 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Hi guys, I bought my nexus 7 2013 lte thinking it could send sms. It seems it can but only if I root and install xposed etc etc.
My dilemma is that I have a nowtv subscription which will not run on rooted devices. I there any way to enable sms without rooting?
Ive tried masking root by all the usual methods but nowtv always knows. This is so frustrating for me as im not to tec savvy.
I have however flashed an older rom 4.3.1 and it works. is that my only option?

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Hi guys, I bought my nexus 7 2013 lte thinking it could send sms. It seems it can but only if I root and install xposed etc etc.
My dilemma is that I have a nowtv subscription which will not run on rooted devices. I there any way to enable sms without rooting?
Ive tried masking root by all the usual methods but nowtv always knows. This is so frustrating for me as im not to tec savvy.
I was going to tell you google voice then realized you're on the wrong side of the pond. Been using it for years. Sorry, haven't paid attention to the other options.

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
RootCloak is a xposed module that hides root from certain apps. I'm not sure what you want in the means of SMS, but I use Google voice, with the voice+ module and nexus 7 SMS enabler modules, then I can choose what default SMS app I want (Hangouts, 8sms). Or you can just use a different SMS app like TextPlus without without rooting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

dememted1

Nov 29, 2009
Cheltenham
RootCloak is a xposed module that hides root from certain apps. I'm not sure what you want in the means of SMS, but I use Google voice, with the voice+ module and nexus 7 SMS enabler modules, then I can choose what default SMS app I want (Hangouts, 8sms). Or you can just use a different SMS app like TextPlus without without rooting.

xposed requires root doesn't it?
root cloak doesn't work. nowtv still says device modified and won't run.

Last edited:

dememted1

Nov 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Yes Xposed requires root.

Did a little searching and there's a RootCloak Plus which will do the job. Look under the Apps with calls... Header in this link.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2574647

Hope it helps.

Thanx for your time but this didn't work. I guess it's one of those apps that the root cloak plus won't work on.
I see the op is still working on another bskyb app.
Back to looking for a way to enable outbound text... (unrooted)
Thanx again..

dememted1

Nov 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Just a thought, is it possible to make an unrooted rom with mms built in that can be flashed via adb or any other method?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010

You may find this info useful!
Xposed Framework FAQDoes this require root access?
Yes, because it replaces a file in /system/bin. Once the framework is installed, it should work without root access.
and the link where I found the info.

dememted1

Nov 29, 2009
Cheltenham
You may find this info useful!
Xposed Framework FAQDoes this require root access?
Yes, because it replaces a file in /system/bin. Once the framework is installed, it should work without root access.
and the link where I found the info.

Thanks for info but I have tried this method. I have unrooted as far as possible without flashing stock but it seems something is left behind that the skygo/nowtv apps see's and says os is modified and will not run.